Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirls Southwest
 Project Discussions
 Montezuma County Citizens
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Montezuma County Citizens Next Topic  

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  12:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To help earm my Intermediate Civic Heritage badge I'd like to share some history about some pioneers and "history" makers in Montezuma County, Colorado.
First of all I was born and raised here and have lived here most of my life, so I know many of the pioneer families and the current generations.

The Ancient Anasazi civilization were, as best we know, the first residents of this area. Then there came the pioneering families who wanted to start farms and ranches as it is prime for growing things.

My family were one of the many farming families, my parents moving here from New Mexico in the early 1940s, buying one farm and then selling it and buying another one a few miles away which is the one I came home from the hospital to and grew up on.

There are many family farms and ranches still in operation in this area. But I want to share a bit about some families that started businesses in Montezuma County decades ago that are still family businesses and are flourishing.

1. SLAVENS HARDWARE -established in the early 1950s by Basil Slavens. It is still family owned and operated by his grandsons.
You can get any building supply you want there, but you can old enjoy the old-fashioned aspect of buying kitchen pots and pans and Christmas decorations, etc.

2. HAVRAN DRY CLEANERS - estalished in 1948 by Mr. Havran and is still owned and operated by his son, Bernie. They offer cleaning, laundry, repair and all the services that were offered 60+ years ago. They are friendly, customer oriented with very reasonable rates and great service.

3. CORTEZ MILLING - established in the 1940s by HAL TANNER, a local wheat farmer. Still owned and operated by his sons Trent and Gary. This mill produced over 600,000 bags of flour for the local area and to ship. Friendly service, reasonable prices, customer oriented.

I focus on these businesses because so many family owned businesses have been "run out of town" by big corporations and chain stores. It's so refreshing to be able to STILL ENJOY family owned businesses and their stellar service and product!!!

Thanks for letting me share.
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado

from my heart: www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com
from my hands: www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Pam
Phoenix Arizona
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  1:59:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed hearing about your corner of the world.

Pam
Be distracted by joy
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Montezuma County Citizens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page