True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  2:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PART ONE:

Actually started cleaning up the bar ditches years ago when my children were small, picking up aluminum so we could have the extra cash. They learned then how the value of NOT trashing the countryside. It has been my goal for years to keep the trash picked up from around our place which is out in the country.

There is a place with a wide spot in the road at a "Y" junction in the road just over the hill from our house where, for years, people would just dump there trash. It was usually pretty nasty but I cleaned it up anyway, using gloves and whatever else, just to get it up and out of sight. At one point I vowed that, if I found anything with a readable address on it (and it was local) I'd happily RETURN the trash to that address.

My first goal was to keep the ditches and road cleared of trash within 1/2 mile of my house in either direction from our driveway. And, I made it a goal to also take my shovel out to annihilate all the thistles, including those across the road and close-by fences so that they didn't spread to our property.

It also became my goal to address the trash in the bar ditches and along the roads with: 1). family, 2). neighbors, 3). other community residents, 4). the county officials.

PART TWO:

Cleaning up our county is becoming more of a reality. When we do our cleanup we put trash in the dumpster and recycle anything that we can.
There is a recycle facility that will accept aluminum, cardboard, and glass. We can also recycle phone books at our local newspaper office. At this time there is no opportunity to recycle plastic.

Our neighborhood is more involved in picking up. My family is more involved and my husband is able to use the aluminum as "cash" at the local salvage yard, where he "shops" frequently.

I see more of an effort in the county with groups, include prison inmate work crews, out on all the roads, including the state highways picking up trash and working towards cleaning up and making it safer, more attractive and healthy.

Do any of you have any special projects/ideas in your communities for cleaning up?

Thanks for sharing!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado

from my heart: www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com
from my hands: www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic "Clean Up Our County" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page