Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirls Southwest
 Project Discussions
 Getting to know you a little better.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Getting to know you a little better. Next Topic  

coloradocindy
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Cindy
Bayfield CO
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  10:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking it might be fun to share a little known fact about ourselves that would help the others in the henhouse identify with us better. This would be totally optional of course!! For example:

When I was in elementary school, in Southern California, I went to a one-room school house. Yep, there were fewer kids in the whole school than there are in most classrooms today. When I went back to the area for my 30th high school reunion my husband and I stopped at the school site. No school building was left!! I was so bummed. They did have some modulars that they were using for classrooms so I stopped in the library and asked when they tore the old schoolhouse down. The lady did not know but she looked at one of the students and said, "Now you have actually met somebody that went to the old schoolhouse." Boy, talk about making me feel old.

From the beautiful mountains of Southwest Colorado

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  2:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great idea! I attended 7 schools growing up. Dad was military, and then mom moved us around a bit. After a while, making friends was tough as you never knew how long anyone was going to be around. They were as likely to move away as you were. I'm still a bit shy around folks and have a hard time meeting new folks. Doesn't help that I travel for work, though I am working on reducing/eliminating that aspect of my life. What got me through all the moves was writing. I started in 5th grade and have bee making up stories ever since. Most atrocious though I am in the final stages of a trilogy I hope to find an agent for this next year.

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Rali
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Rali
Scottsdale Arizona
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  3:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All,

The first twenty years of my "working life" I spent in the military. (I'm a retired Air Force officer.) I'm currently a stay-at-home mom and plan to do this for the second twenty years of my "working life." When I'm not cooking, cleaning, chasing kids, etc., I'm sewing. (I'm using my veteran's benefits to put myself back through college. I'm majoring in Fashion Design this time around.) I plan to spend the last twenty years of my "working life" in the sewing industry. I'll be eighty by then and hope to rest!

Most recently, I placed second in the adult category of the Arizona Make It With Wool Competition. My two-piece wool suit will give me my intermediate (skirt) and expert (jacket) levels of "Nellie Will-do" merit badges. I just have to sit down and submit them!

Sincerely,

Rali
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  7:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I attended a two-room school here in the same community where I live. The "little" room was for grades 1-4 and the "big" room was for grades 5-8. And, I completed all 8 grades there and then went to town to high school. My goodness what culture shock even though there were many other "country kids" there from all the outlying communities.
The school building is still standing and many years ago was converted into a home. It is only about 1 1/2 miles from my house. My hubby and I built our house on 3 acres that my dad deeded us off the family farm that I grew up on from day one until I went off to college. I attended one year college in Omaha, Nebraska and transferred to Phoenix, Arizona my sophomore year. I met my hubby, Bill, there and we married in 1968 . . will celebrate our 42nd anniversary on December 28th. We lived in Phoenix for a few years, both of our children were born there and then we moved to Tucson for a couple years or so. Bill was born in Tucson, lived there and in the small mining towns around there as a youngster.

We moved back to Colorado in 1975, built a log house that we did all our own logging and milling for. It burned down in 1994 and we rebuilt a frame house . . . and here we are! Our roots here go VERY, VERY DEEP and a move away is not in the future plans.
It's home!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  09:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess since we don't know each other very well most anything could be a little known fact. :-) This is fun finding out more about each other.

Since we're sharing school experiences I'll share that there were over 1000 kids in my senior graduating class! There was a new school built the previous year but they kept our class together for our final year since we'd been going to school together for so long.

My hubby and I are from Indiana. His work took us to Toledo, Ohio for a year and then here to Colorado, where we've lived for 27 years. I LOVE it here in Colorado! We have six kids, ages 18 - 35 and two granddaughters. I was a La Leche League leader for about 7 years and homeschooled 5 of our kids for some of their "required" educational years. (I say that because learning never really stops, even when the government determines that you've served your years in school.)

Kathy

Laurie, best wishes in getting your trilogy published. What's the genre?
CJ, that must have been heart-breaking to have your home burn down after putting such love and labor into it. I'm sorry that happened to you.
Go to Top of Page

MommyKelly
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kelly
Phoenix AZ
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  10:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I grew up in the bay area in Calif. I have 2 half siblings but we are all so far apart we are almost all like only children lol. I always wanted a life the complete opposite that I had growing up, and I got it :)
I have 9 kids ages 20,19,16,10,9,8,6,5,and 4. Dogs, fruit trees and garden. (we had chickens in the past, and will have them again one day) I homeschool, sew and am trying to learn how to knit.

~*Kelly*~
Farmgirl sister #2249

http://busymommykelly.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  12:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kathy, I write fantasy novels. Wrote my first real novel in high school about a band member I had a crush on. I was a sophomore, he was a senior. I moved 9 weeks in and let him read what I had at hte last football game I attended. I saw him again in college. He'd gone through the bad boy stage and was, by this time, working on a geology degree. I think he got married, but as crushes go, that was the last I saw him.

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  7:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WEll when I was in 5th grade I became seriously ill and missed most of the school year. Spent in bed. I learned a good book is a dear friend and learned to cross stitch. I also love afternoon tea. My grandmother said loose tea is like driving a cadallac and bag tea is like driving a junk car. I never understood that until I discovered loose tea...still makes me laugh. I learned to treasure small things like that I could not go anywhere except doctors.

that is my small fact

blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  06:21:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tammy I love that about the tea bags! I so agree. What kind do you like to drink? I discovered a smokey tea a few years back and quit enjoy it with a touch of honey. I also like to make my own chai.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Rusty
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Rusty
Las Cruces NM
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  08:12:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Fellow Chicks:
My history goes back to Calif. where I was born and raised. Went to Catholic school from 1st to 8th grade then to a public high school. I was an only child and some say I was spoiled rotten - I tell them I still have a long way to go. LOL. Anyway my husband passed away on New Year's Day in 1988 and so I was a widow for over 20 years until I met Jim. We got married on St. Valentine's Day in 2008 and I've been very blessed since then. Jim had 6 children and I had 2 so now we have 8 grown children and 6 grandchildren to brag about. I still have my mom but she is not doing well (she is 92 yrs. young). I was sick a lot when I was young and taught myself how to knit when I was 10. A neighbor taught me how to crochet when my children were young and the rest is history. Hope you all have a great holiday and a terrific new year.

Love-

Rusty
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4024 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4024 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  4:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone~

I am from St. Louis Missouri and was a foster child and adopted as a teenager. Met my husband when I was 18 married at 19 and left St. Louis when he joined the army. We traveled all over the US and Europe while he was in the military and we had a son along the way who is now 34. We have been married 36 Blessed and Wonderful years. God has been so good to me and I thank him everyday for my husband and son. We have lived in Colorado since 1996 when my husband retired from the military. My husband is a wildland pilot fire fighter and he fights fires all summer long. I work part time so I can travel to see my husband during the summer.

In August I joined MJF and have met so many wonderful ladies from all over the United States. Again Blessed to have so many wonderful ladies to be a part of my life, I thank all of you. I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can and hope to be a part of MJF and the Southwest Hen House for many years.

Many Hugs,
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Morning
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Laura
Albuquerque NM
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  5:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's see something interesting about me...I have never lived in one place more than seven years. My dad worked for the federal govt and moved a lot. Then I married a military man so I have lived in many places including Europe. Right now, we are in Albuquerque and are scheduled to move in 2012. That could change though.
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Getting to know you a little better. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page