True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Rusty
Las Cruces NM
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  07:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Fellow Henhouse Chicks:
I just read an article in my Backwood Home magazine by Jackie Clay on the state of affairs of our country. What an eye opener. I would love your input, feedback, suggestions, etc.
The article was about our economy and what we should do to prepare ourselves for the worst. Just like before Y2K or even during the Great Depression banks were closing??? Sound familiar? Gas prices soared - grocery stores ran out of food - food rationing stamps - Victory Gardens cropped up all over the country. We need to prepare ourselves. Here are my tips - please let me know if you have any ideas of your own.
1. Stash some cash at home in case the banks close or limit your withdrawals.
2. Stock up on paper products (toilet paper, kleenex, etc.).
3. Stock up on soap, toiletries, first aid, medical supplies and don't forget the pets in your family.
4. Have a supply of comfort foods and games, toys, yarn, etc.
5. Canning your harvest - What are you canning and how much?
6. Water - Do you have a rain barrel or some other means of getting water?
7. Lanterns, oil lamps, candles for when the electricity goes out. And don't forget fire wood. How about a way to cook your food?
8. Guns for hunting and protection - what's your take on this?
9. A bicycle - Gas may be too costly and not available at all.

Please add to my list and let me know your take on all of this.

Thanks-

Rusty

Rali
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Rali
Scottsdale Arizona
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  07:44:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Rusty,

I've been trying to stock up on pantry items like rice, beans, flour, sugar, etc. I will "dig out" and post my information on what the Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA) states we should have on hand for an emergency.

Sincerely,

Rali

P.S. I'm a retired Air Force officer and the commissary is our equivalent of a grocery store.
Go to Top of Page

Rusty
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Rusty
Las Cruces NM
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  08:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea Rali:
We are going to Costco on Thurs. and I'm going to add those items to my list.

Thanks-

Rusty
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  07:01:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We/I believe that we need to be planning and preparing, things are too crazy to not be sensible for the possibilities. We do have a lot of those things you mentioned,Rusty, in place. (Don't have a lot of toilet paper stashed . . probably a few other things . . TP takes so much storage space)
I do have a cash stash. . also have a checking account. But I don't want all my $$ in the bank so there is a cash stash. My hubby has a cash stash that he lives by.
And we believe in the "right to bear arms" and do have weapons . . my hubby is also a knifemaker and he has his line of survival knifes.
We have bicycles, cross country skiis and I just bought snowshoes for myself this winter. Our main need would be to have another way of heating our house . . which we could come up with if needed. We currently use a pellet stove.
But, it's prudent and wise to be preparing, that is for sure.
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado
Go to Top of Page

Rali
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Rali
Scottsdale Arizona
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  07:32:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear CJ,

I think this has all the makings of a Merit Badge (Emergency Preparedness). As our "Mother Hen" can you suggest it to MaryJanesFarm? If they agree, maybe all of us henhouse "chicks" could work together to draft components of the three levels and have you submit it on behalf of our henhouse.

Sincerely,

Rali
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  07:42:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rali what a great idea. There have been a few discussions on topic boards about this. Being prepared for the "big" event might spur people, but it's the smaller disasters that hit hard. Having come in after many of them, people are just not prepared. Hurricanes happen all the time, but folks don't have enough supplies for three days, and that is usually the minimum without power. In winter, many people go a week or more. So My suggest would be level one, identifying the types of disasters where we need to be prepared. There are so much more than what I listed.

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  07:55:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That IS a great idea!!! I will put some thought to it . . . . .AND, whatever ideas you girls have would you EMAIL them to me??

I actually have had conversations with Kevin, the "merit badge guy" at the farm about future merit badges. So I'd be happy to put something out to him about this.
He has said there are more new ones coming January . . I have an idea what one of them is but am sworn to secrecy. But they usually plan to add more in July as well.
So, yes, let's work on this together . . . great Henhouse project!!
See why I just love you "chicks"!!!!
CJ

P.S. Ya' outta see my hubbys survival knife . . . can chop wood or lop heads with it!!!

Go to Top of Page

Rusty
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Rusty
Las Cruces NM
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  2:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chicks:
I'm so glad you girls are excited about this. And Rali - What a great idea to apply all of this preparing towards a merit badge. I will go through some more of my survival info and maybe we can hash out a three level merit badge category. Thanks Chicks - Love you gals.

Rusty
Go to Top of Page

MommyKelly
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kelly
Phoenix AZ
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  4:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are really preparedness in our house. Also I havent seen mentioned is "bug out bags" We have one for each member of the family. They have cash in small bills, solar blanket, change of clothes, copies of ID in waterproof bag, flashlight, snacks, and other things I cant remember right now LOL.

We do store water and food at home. I use a lot of unused space, like under the beds. You can also get these really cool couches that you can store stuff in at http://www.homereserve.com/. We live in Phoenix so we cant store stuff in the garage :(

~*Kelly*~
Farmgirl sister #2249

http://busymommykelly.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  1:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On another note, you should have a separate emergency kit in your car. I finished putting mine together today. I had scattered pieces like jumper cables, but didn't have a can of fix a flat so added that. So my car kit is two bags, one is more personal stuff that I can keep in the car or take hiking or have as a grab bag. It has extra clothes, the first aid kit, solar flashlight and radio. The other has the Just car stuff - cables, duct tape, fix a flat. I still need a flasher or cone for that bag and paper and pen.

That is something to add to your go kit.

Another thought is to have a meeting place with your family. One at home, but one somewhere else because sometimes you can't get home. I am getting sent to Utah for the flooding happening there. Houses falling off hillsides from what I gather. It's a mess.

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

coloradocindy
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Cindy
Bayfield CO
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  10:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All great ideas. In your car kit I would add some sort of food item like granola bars that won't become stall too fast. You could trade them out once a year.

From the beautiful mountains of Southwest Colorado
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  3:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey there "chicks"!
I got an email from Kevin at the Farm (he's the Merit Badge "guy"). He says that a badge similar to that is going to be introduced this month when they introduce the additions. I think he read your ideas and suggestions and said he will probably make some additions the requirements.

Anyway . . there you have it. So, look for it!!!
Told him I'd let you girls know!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  10:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like the idea of having this as a badge. We probably unknowingly do half of what's on the list. I am going to make it one of my goals to start stocking up on extra stuff, storing water, update first aid items, and starting the cash stash. I always have a car kit. Has anyone heard more about the badge? Love the bug out bags, Kelly. What I wonder is the opposite of what the cold country folks have to deal with...staying cool when it's blazing hot?

Robin
Farmgirl Sister #1301
Farming in the Sonoran Desert? Hmmm?!

my mama's (ceejay48) craftiness ~ cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
my daddy's craftiness ~ aspenforge.com
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Your Take? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page