Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirls Southwest
 Project Discussions
 Farmer's market impact - merit badge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Farmer's market impact - merit badge Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  06:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This summer our farmer's Market moved locations. It was a huge debate. Those that lived in the downtown area were able to walk every Saturday and it was a social event. The city had planned for road improvements which forced the move. There were a few options but it was decided to move to the south side of town where the new business were coming in. It's a big shopping area. As this was my second season to work the market I didn't want to see it move.

I think all the vendors have seen a boost in visitors and sales. Folks that come to town from smaller towns in the mountains never made it to the downtown area as the shopping they needed was in the south. Now they see us and stop. We are spreading more of the "buy local" word. We even had a restaurant sponsor a meal eating local. It was a huge hit.

It scares me how much out food travels and all the additives that get put into things. Since I discovered I was gluten intolerant I've been even more aware of what is put in our foods. I've always known it was getting worse, so I really focus on the local eating and talk with the farmers and ranchers.

Best Growing

Rali
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Rali
Scottsdale Arizona
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  08:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Laurie,

I purchased my first fruits, vegetables and breads from a food co-op two weeks ago. The co-op is called Bountiful Baskets. It operates in several western states. There was so much food! Being my first time, I think I went overboard and ordered too much. I bought the standard pack of fruits and vegetables for $15.00. It was a nice assortment of whatever was available that week. I also added on an "Italian Pack" for $7.50 and 20 lbs. of tomatoes for $10.00. Lastly, I bought bread (five loaves for $10.00) from a local bakery. I've made two batches of homemade pasta sauce and have two more to go. We've also been eating a lot of Italian meals (Chicken Parmesan, Spaghetti, Pasta Provencale, Eggplant Parmesan, etc.).

Sincerely,

Rali
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  08:18:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
go Rali. Isn't it wonderful getting all that fresh food. It does lead to lots of canning too.

eggplant parmesan, yummy! that's one of my favorites.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Rali
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Rali
Scottsdale Arizona
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  08:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Laurie,

Yes, it's wonderful getting all of that fresh food! I saw a cookbook, Everyday Italian by Food Network Star Giada de Laurentiis I wished I had bought. I could use it right now!

Sincerely,

Rali
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  12:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Farmers Market is wonderful!! My dad (whose passed away in Jan. 1997) was a local orchardman and farmer. So, when they started the Farmers Market here he was part of it. My daughter grew up helping her Grampa there.
And, my hubby and I are vendors (our booth is a craft booth) but we support other vendors by buying things we don't raise ourselves. So many people count on it. Of course, we have had our first frosts now, so market will be closing soon.

Rali, my daughter, Robin, also does the Bountiful Basket thing . . they are REALLY enjoying those baskets. I don't know, for sure, which location she gets hers from, but it's a weekly Saturday morning ritual.

Our garden is about done . . but we are still getting tomatoes (have to cover them). And then there are the beets and carrots.

YAY for homegrown goodies!!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Farmer's market impact - merit badge Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page