MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6741 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6741 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2023 :  3:42:49 PM  Show Profile
I made my first ever pickled banana peppers! I have been dying to try them, but the recipe said to wait a week before opening them. I will open a bottle this weekend. I have a bunch more ready for picking, so if I like this recipe I will make some more but I would like to pressure cook them so I can have them for long term storage.

How do you store your banana peppers?

Krista

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2023 :  02:56:17 AM  Show Profile
I canned some plain as sweet peppers, and some pickled. The rest I freeze to use in salsa or where ever. Hope they turn out well for you.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9262 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9262 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2023 :  05:16:40 AM  Show Profile
If you are pickling them they can be done in a water bath canner for long term storage. I love then and eat them on everything I can. Lol.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6741 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6741 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2023 :  1:56:20 PM  Show Profile
Denise, all of this canning is so new to me. I am trying to learn. I actually have a water bath canner. Can you tell me how I can them? I am hoping to work on them this weekend. The rest of the peppers are ready for picking now.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

243 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
243 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2023 :  1:37:04 PM  Show Profile
How did you can the sweet peppers?

Today's good mood brought to you by a lot of coffee!!!

Farmgirl #8548
FGOTM April 2023
Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

243 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
243 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2023 :  1:43:08 PM  Show Profile

I stopped by country market and bought a small bags of sweet snackers peppers. I roasted them in oven with drizzle of olive oil.
These are NOT canned. I put them in jar and poured olive oil over peppers. They are in frig so we can snack on them.
Very good!!!!

Today's good mood brought to you by a lot of coffee!!!

Farmgirl #8548
FGOTM April 2023
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6741 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6741 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2023 :  1:53:13 PM  Show Profile
So Tara, those peppers were not technically canned either. I put the peppers in the jar and then put the hot brine in and put the lid and ring on. They sealed that way and then I placed them in the fridge. After the peppers sat for a week I opened one and they were so hard to eat. The apple cider vinegar the recipe called for was way too strong. I ended up finding another recipe and tried a small 1/4 batch and absolutely loved the flavor. I then dumped out all 3 of those cans and soaked the peppers in water to get rid of the apple cider vinegar taste. I then did the same process with the new brine. We have finished almost one jar already. We love them on sandwiches. Your roasted peppers sound amazing! I only have one small snack pepper plant. But I would love to give that a try with what I have. Thank you for sharing.

Today I picked the rest of my ripe peppers and dug out my water bath canner. I am going to give it a shot and get the rest of these peppers canned legitimately. I am super excited. I will let you know how they turn out.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2023 :  3:05:45 PM  Show Profile
Krista, would you mind sharing the recipe you liked? I have found that many of the pickle recipes are either way to heavy on the vinegar or sugar. Hard to find a happy medium.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6741 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6741 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2023 :  12:52:27 PM  Show Profile
Of course Lisa!

1 pound banana peppers
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup water
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp salt
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp oregano

Mix all ingredients but the peppers in a bowl and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Then add bell peppers and stir again. Cover and store in fridge for 24 hours. Then transfer to a jar with a tight lid.

That's what the recipe says and that's how I tried my first batch. But to keep them longer in the fridge, the second time I used hot brine to make the lids seal. Hopefully you like this recipe too.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6741 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6741 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2023 :  1:26:56 PM  Show Profile
Here are my canned banana peppers. The bigger jar is yellow and orange bell peppers that I did the same way. I'm pretty excited to be learning all this new stuff!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2023 :  1:49:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Krista! I will try this weekend.
They look yummy!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6741 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6741 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2023 :  1:13:50 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Lisa!

I am actually wondering how a beet would taste in the same brine. I was thinking of cutting up one and putting it in the left over brine from the peppers and see how it tastes before I commit to all the beets.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2023 :  08:05:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure how the garlic and oregano will go with the beets, but give it a whirl!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6741 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6741 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2023 :  7:40:56 PM  Show Profile
Not sure either. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. We got slammed with a really really bad invasion of army worms. I have been fighting them off for a week now. They have been destroying my garden, so I finally caved and used some Neem oil. I am waiting until everything can be harvested. I will let you know once I get around to it.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6741 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6741 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2023 :  8:56:21 PM  Show Profile
Well Lisa, you were right. I put a beet in some of that brine last night and tried some tonight. Well, it's really not that great lol! I guess I better look for a legit pickled beet recipe.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3013 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3013 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2023 :  09:39:41 AM  Show Profile
Here's the one I use:
1 gallon small beets
2 Cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks of cinnamon
3 1/2 cups vinegar
1 1/2 cups water

Wash beets. Cover with water and boil until tender. Remove skins, stems and root ends. Combine sugar, salt, spices, vinegar, and water in a pan and simmer 15 minutes. Pack beets into hot jars. Bring liquid to a boil and pour over beets. If more liquid is needed add vinegar. Process in water bath for 30 minutes. Note - remove the cinnamon sticks. Do NOT add them to a jar. I learned the hard way LOL! I've also cut up larger beets instead of using small ones. Works just as good!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6741 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6741 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2023 :  12:59:56 PM  Show Profile
Awesome Heather! Thank you so very much! I am going to try this as soon as I can.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6741 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6741 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2023 :  12:28:58 PM  Show Profile
Heather, look what I made yesterday! I only did one jar to try it out and see if I like them. I decided I would let them sit for a couple of days before trying so that it soaks in all of its brine! Thanks for sharing with me!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3013 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3013 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2023 :  2:26:27 PM  Show Profile
I hope you like it! As long as I don't put the cinnamon stick in everyone around here loves them :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6741 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6741 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2023 :  11:49:05 AM  Show Profile
I made sure to take the cinnamon stick out ha ha! I am going to open them up for dinner. I will get back with you on the family taste test. I need to get the rest of the beets out of the garden. I also need to figure out what my plan is for carrots this year. Not sure I want pickled carrots though lol!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6741 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6741 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2023 :  2:23:00 PM  Show Profile
Heather! Those beets are perfect! Thank you so much. I am going to get the rest of them from the garden this weekend and get them pickled. I am excited for more food storage!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6741 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6741 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2023 :  12:13:56 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I finished collecting all my beets on Wednesday and got them canned. I did end up with a half a pint left of your beet brine. So out of curiosity I decided to cut up a carrot from my garden and put it in the left over brine and place it in the fridge. I tried the carrot yesterday and it was so yummy! I think I may have found a new snack lol!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3013 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3013 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2023 :  12:37:30 PM  Show Profile
I never would have guessed that pickled carrots were good LOL!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6741 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6741 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2023 :  1:18:15 PM  Show Profile
I wouldn't either lol! It was more of a curiosity because the carrot was sitting right there next to the left over brine. They almost remind me of the sweet pickles we eat at Thanksgiving time.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2023 :  3:02:42 PM  Show Profile
Fermented carrots are good too!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6741 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6741 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2023 :  12:21:36 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, I haven't ever tried those before. I will have to taste some and see what I think. Thank you for the idea.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pickled banana peppers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page