Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Milk Cow Kitchen book Giveaway!WINNER!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Milk Cow Kitchen book Giveaway!WINNER!! Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - May 22 2023 :  08:53:31 AM  Show Profile
For our June National Dairy Month celebration here at MJF, MaryJane is adding to the celebration with a giveaway of her Milk Cow Kitchen book! No matter if you are a city dweller like me, a current dairy or cow raiser, or interested in knowing more about how to get started with just a single cow, you will love this book. Like all of MaryJane’s books, this one is full of information on how to raise a cow, make cheese, and many tested and delicious recipes using dairy products. I love all of the photos and recipes and the many ways that cows and dairy products are useful and delicious. How about some homemade ice cream from your backyard cow? I would personally love to have that opportunity!

If you would like to toss your name in the basket to win, please leave a post below and tell us about any cow experiences you might have had currently or growing up. Plus, if you are like me, what are some of your favorite dairy dishes or memories.

A winner will be chosen on June 1 and I will then email you for your mailing information to pass along to the Home office so they can ship out your book.

Let's have some fun sharing below and be ready to kick off our annual celebration of National Dairy Month. Be sure to look for Heather Neeper's annual Dairy Month swap coming up soon. Let's join in our appreciation of all of the hard working Dairy farmers out there!

Our winner this year of MaryJanes's Milk Cow Kitchen book is Michele (windy pines)!
Congratulations Michele!! I know you are going to love this book. Since I have your address already, I am sending it today to Brian at the home office. He will be getting your book copy out soon. Enjoy!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Jun 01 2023 10:56:11 AM

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - May 22 2023 :  09:01:00 AM  Show Profile
What would Summer be like without ice cream? While always delicious, it seems that getting an ice cream during those hot days of summer is such a delicious treat! Today, ice cream comes with all sorts of flavors as well as being safer for those with health concerns like diabetes. I also love a scoop of Vanilla ice cream on top of a warm peach or blueberry cobbler! How about you? Do you love ice cream and if so, what are your traditions on how you like to enjoy it.

MaryJane posted this photo of her cow Daisy with a new calf a few years back. Isn't Daisy looking so proud of her baby?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - May 22 2023 :  10:01:29 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, I have the book so I am not signing up. It's a great book so I hope you have many Farmgirls who want to join in.

Now that I am all grown up and have to watch what I eat I indulge my ice cravings by eating Blue Bell Dixie Cups.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - May 22 2023 :  4:19:14 PM  Show Profile
Sara, those Blue Bell Dixie cups are a really good idea!! I am going to have to look into those myself because I need to watch my sweets as well.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - May 22 2023 :  4:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Winnie - please add my name to the draw. I would love a copy of MaryJane's Milk Cow Kitchen book. When I read that we were celebrating National Dairy Month in June, it brought back memories of one of the first poems that I ever had to learn off by heart for primary school. It was called "The Cow" by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894), and I still know it by heart to this day:-

"The friendly cow all red and white,
I love with all my heart.
She gives me cream with all her might,
To eat with apple tart.

She wanders lowing here and there,
And yet she cannot stray,
All in the pleasant open air,
The pleasant light of day;

And blown by all the winds that pass
And wet with all the showers,
She walks among the meadow grass
And eats the meadow flowers".

My parents are still living on the farm that I grew up on in Australia and they still have cows (Droughtmasters). They raise them for beef. Our neighbours in Ravensbourne also had cows and they would frequently visit me at the fence when I was hanging out the washing. He's a picture of the curious creatures...

One of my favourite dairy recipes would be Orange-infused Panna Cotta which involves heating whole milk, cream, orange peel, vanilla & sugar. When almost boiled, I add gelatine (or MaryJane's chillover powder works well). Refrigerate overnight to set. Serve with blueberries & cardamom.

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - May 23 2023 :  03:15:16 AM  Show Profile
I don't have the milk cow book, and have heard alot of good things about it. I currently have a small herd of Hereford cattle. 8 cows and I have 10 calves out of them this year. Two sets of twins. I also have 1 Holstein milk cow. Right now I am mostly making butter. Though with a Holstein I don't get much cream.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1408 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1408 Posts

Posted - May 23 2023 :  10:11:20 AM  Show Profile
I personally don't have any cow stories...I wish I did! But I can share one about my hubby...his family had gone camping in the mountains one of the summers of his high school years. He decided to go fishing in a river near their camping spot. He was standing in ankle deep water when he heard a twig snap and then felt hot breath on the back of his legs. To say he was surprised by this is a bit of an understatement! He had no idea what it was at first...deer, elk, moose, bear, etc...all lived in the area where he was. It ended up being a cow that was out free grazing! She was just curious about this creature in the water!! :) He is pretty funny when he tells the story! I know if it had been me, I would have needed to change my underwear! LOL!

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - May 24 2023 :  2:29:20 PM  Show Profile
I already have the Milk Cow Kitchen book and absolutely love it, but I wanted to share my current cow story anyway. I have to laugh every time we go outside with the baby. He HAS to always go and see the calves. He always makes sure that he visits them before anything else. The best part is he will run up to the gate with his hand out, just squealing with excitement waiting for one of the calves to come and suck on his hand. It makes me laugh how much he enjoys them sucking on his hand. His outside adventure is never complete without those calves.

Good luck ladies!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1607 Posts

Posted - May 26 2023 :  5:28:10 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, I would love to put my name in the hat. Don't have the book, heard great things about it awhile back. A long time ago I would bring in rejected calves just days old and would bottle feed them. I had 5 calves at this particular time. 4 of them drank the bottles. It was cold and rainy and this one calf would not drink at all. The calf pen was outside. There was a little shelter from the rain but not much. I told this wee one I wasn't going to leave until she drank her bottle. Stayed with all the calves in the cold and rain for several hours. Talking to all of them and more so to this wee one. She finally drank and I told her she was a good girl. They finally all feel asleep on the dry hay under the little shelter I had. After that everytime I came outside the all mooed and said hi. I felt so good that wee one was able to eat. Love making homemade ice cream.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - May 28 2023 :  05:25:53 AM  Show Profile
A year ago we got our first cows. We got 3 black angus. Three days later they broke through the fence and ran away. It took a few weeks to get them back. We got one and then had a hard time getting the others. A neighbor called and told us they were going in his barn and eating pumpkins. He closed them in and blocked the door with his tractor. That's how we got them back! We still have one of the angus. One went back to the guy we bought her from and the third is in the freezer. We decided to try Belted Galloway's. They are very friendly and we have 2 calves. We haven't tried to milk them but I think we will try once the calves are ready to be weaned.
My grandfather used to collect icecicles in winter. He would put them in his freezer and then use them to make ice cream. I don't know why, but that was the best homemade ice cream ever!
Our youngest calf and her proud papa.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
FGOTM May 2023
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - May 29 2023 :  8:02:26 PM  Show Profile
I already have the book so please don't sign me up.

Cindy - are those droughtmaster cattle in the picture? I've never heard of that breed before but they sure are cute!!! Your dairy treat sounds delicious.

I love hearing everyone's stories and seeing pictures. I can't imagine life without cows LOL! I have all kinds of stories I could tell. One that comes to mind is of an ornery little calf. She used to get impatient waiting for her milk. As soon as she saw me coming around the barn with the milk buckets she would stretch her chain out as far as it would go and then do this little head butt jump thing that would flip her hutch over so she could drag it behind her and meet me half way for her milk!

This is a bull calf born this spring (not the ornery little girl - that was probably 12-15 years ago).

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - May 30 2023 :  09:23:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Heather - the cattle in the photo are actually limousin. They belonged to our neighbours when we were living in Ravensbourne.
The Droughtmaster breed that my parents have was developed in Australia in 1915 by crossing zebuine cattle with cattle of British origin, principally the Beef Shorthorn. They're known for their heat and tick tolerance, excellent fertility, ease of calving and quiet temperament.

Farmgirl #6058

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - May 30 2023 :  5:55:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Winnie, I would love to have my name entered into your hat - I don't have any direct experience with cattle, however, I do remember milking a cow when I was in grade school, can't remember where that even was. Perhaps the Alpenrose Dairy. Too long ago. I do remember thinking, WOW, that was pretty cool - fresh milk. And... adore the highland breed. Allot! :-)

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - May 31 2023 :  04:01:17 AM  Show Profile
What fun! When I was growing up I remember going to my friend's dairy farm. Learned how to milk the cows and feed calves. Those littles calves could be very stubborn when teaching them to drink from the bucket. More than once I came away soaked with the stuff. One time in particular I found you should not stand behind a cow. They are not picky about where they relieve themselves and a brand new pair of blue jeans got ruined because of me not realizing this. Yuck!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2023 :  11:14:13 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Michelle. You'll love the book.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1408 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1408 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2023 :  11:41:32 AM  Show Profile
Congrats, Michele! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2023 :  11:55:11 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Michele!! Let us know what you think of the book. I think I’m going to purchase one.

Farmgirl #6058

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2023 :  12:17:11 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Michele! Enjoy your book!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1116 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1116 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2023 :  3:04:06 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Michelle!

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
FGOTM August 2022
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2023 :  7:43:04 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Michele. Enjoy your book.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2023 :  03:35:52 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, thank you thank you thank you!! I can not wait to try the recipes!!

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2023 :  1:18:15 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Michele! You are going to love the book. Enjoy!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2023 :  3:53:08 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Michele!!

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
FGOTM May 2023
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2023 :  04:36:25 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all. The book was here, when we got home from our long weekend get away. So excited to have something new to read and to try new recipes with my raw milk. Thank you Mary Jane too.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2023 :  07:25:07 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations on winning the book Michele! I know you will put it to good use.

Dawn in IL

First you dream
Then you do
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2023 :  6:17:15 PM  Show Profile
Yay, Michelle! Congratulations! Hope you enjoy every single page!

Thank you Winnie and Mary Jane for offering this drawing in celebration!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Milk Cow Kitchen book Giveaway!WINNER!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page