Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2023 :  6:00:10 PM  Show Profile
I have been working on the badge for apples. I have discovered some things that I did not know about apples. The apple genome was first traced back in 1929 by the Russian scientist named Nikolai Vavilov. He stated that the primary ancestor of our apples was the ancient apple tree: Malus Sieversii. More detailed DNA studies have been done recently (2010), as well as a full sequencing on the genome. Vavilov was correct! Malus Sieversii is a wild apple that is native to the Tian Shan Mountains of Kazakhstan. They have been growing there for millions of years. The fruit would have grown in many shapes and sizes, and some probably didn't taste very good at all.
I also learned that apples planted from seed must be grafted because they do not grow true to the parent tree. The Romans practiced the skill of grafting to select the apples that they wanted based on size and taste. Grafting takes a cutting from the chosen apple tree and attaches it to the rootstock from another tree.
Apples were brought to the colonies by the Puritans in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
So far, I think that I have learned quite a bit about apples...one of my favorite fruits

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2023 :  11:55:00 AM  Show Profile
That is really neat information, Nancy. Thank you for sharing. Great work on your apple badge.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2023 :  4:02:32 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Krista!

I am having fun learning and trying new things! So happy to have found a place where I can share my joy and learning with other farmgirls!
I live in the city, but my husband and I are trying to make our place as sustainable and Earth friendly as we can!

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2023 :  4:32:17 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, this history of apples is very interesting and I am glad you are enjoying learning more. Here is some more tidbits I hope you enjoy learning about. Did you also know that Apples came to Europe before 1927 by what was known as theThe Great Silk Road? As the Romans expanded their Empire into Europe in the early middle ages apple seeds and trees were planted there as well. Kings and Emperors continued to send people to travel to China along this network of trade routes to purchase Chinese Silk cloth, perfumes, spices and livestock. The route went through Kazakhstan, in the Tien Shan mountains, which was once a part of Russia. By 1500 BC, apple seeds had made their way to the Middle East and were cultivated by the Greeks, Etruscans and the Romans. The apples from the Russians made their way to North America by the early immigrants into the US west coast, as well as by the French trappers in Quebec down into the New York area. One important trait of these apples was that they grew well in climates that had long cold Winters like Russia. The apple known as the Duchess of Oldenburg, is one example that came to New York in 1835 and 9 years later into Montreal, Canada. It was so very successful for these northern climates that in 1870, the US Department of Agriculture imported scions from 252 apple varieties for the huge need of successful apples in the northern states. Our MaryJane, Queen Bee here at the Forum, has a 100 year old Duchess of Oldenburg tree on her property. When we had our first September Apple Festival here at the Chatroom, we made it our Mascot tree. It has been given a lot of TLC by MaryJane and is still producing delicious apples! I love apples, all kinds, their history, their different tastes and all the ways one can use them. Be sure to join in the fun of our Apple Festival here come September!!It is an Apple celebration Farmgirl style!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2023 :  5:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing the information with me, Winnie! I love apples. My husband and I planted an apple tree in our yard last year. We got a small harvest from it, but this year it is already bulging with apples! We are so happy with it! It is an Anna apple tree and is great for our Southern California climate. Looking forward to a great crop this year. So awesome that the Queen Bee has a 100 year old tree! My sister has a really old apple tree on her property, but she doesn't argue with the bears over whose tree it is! She lives on the Central Coast of Oregon, in Florence! I will definitely be looking forward to the Apple Festival in September!

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

shennandoah
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Shennandoah
La Vernia TX
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2023 :  5:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Nancy I am jealous! I planted six apple trees (one of which was an Anna), but my dogs and I think some raccoons stole the apples before they were ready to harvest! I'm training them to be dwarf trees so they are low enough that the dogs could steal apples without much effort. The little jerks! I also have 4 peach trees, a pear tree, two pomegranates, and 3 figs (more fruit trees on their way) but this wild weather we've been experiencing in Texas is making it difficult to keep things alive, much less fruiting. And I'm constantly fighting leaf cuter ants. They just defoliated two apple trees. Definitely an exercise in patience and persistence.
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Apples Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page