VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2020 :  12:25:03 PM  Show Profile
What is it about tomatoes that bring out our Farmgirl "mothering" instincts? Please don't tell me I am the only one who, while pruning my plants, sheds a tear over a stem that gets broken or apologizes for mistakenly snipping a stem with emerging blossoms . . . Sigh.

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2020 :  1:15:13 PM  Show Profile
No you are not alone, my garden is small but I fit in as many tomato plans as possible. This year I have 18 tomato plants, 4 Amish paste, 4 San Mariano, and the rest are heirloom tomatoes. Yes I prune them, pick out the suckers, tie them to the support and talk to them every week week. This time f year I keep asking why they aren’t ripening yet.

Do you watch “Roots and Refuge” on YouTube? I have tried new varieties of tomatoes each year after seeing how wonderful they look on the show.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2020 :  2:16:17 PM  Show Profile
I have not seen that YouTube video but will give it a look this evening! We just moved to our new acreage last Fall so this is my first garden here. (Formerly we lived in town so vegetable garden was small). I admit to getting a "little" carried away this Spring as I planted all my vegetable seeds in trays & set them under grow lights; I kept saying to myself that there would be lots of room this year & I had ordered lots of seeds, so I just kept planting, & planting, & planting & filling all those tray compartments. It was not until I had finally placed the 50th tomato plant seedling in the ground the first of June that I said to myself: "Sharon, did you not remember that each plant has more than ONE tomato"?

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2020 :  06:27:39 AM  Show Profile
Ha, ha, I love that story and I hope in the next few years to be in the same predicament (we are looking to relocate to the Pacific Northwest), as I currently live in a city of 90,000+ and garden in the front of my building. I see a lot of canning and dehydrating in your future with 50 tomato plants! I have been gardening for the last 20 years out front and although most of my neighbors love watching the progress I have a few that feel they can help themselves to my hard work each year. The funny thing is I do share with friends, family and neighbors.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2020 :  09:50:33 AM  Show Profile
50? 50 tomato plants?!! Wow!

I started seedlings on my screened porch. I couldn't bare to not plant them all. I have 3 in big pots on my porch, planted quite a few in the garden and still have 3 or 4 that need to go in the ground. Last week I was pulling a dead branch off one of the potted ones and it pulled a strip down the main stem off. I was sad and I did apologize to the plant. My husband thinks I'm crazy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Farm Girl #790

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

https://www.instagram.com/elliefunt_/

Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2020 :  12:58:28 PM  Show Profile
I hope your “dream” move is able to take place! At a time in life when most of our same-age friends are retiring & slowing down, we purchased 10 acres of hard work: building a home & attempting to briighten this hilltop with flowers

& vegetables. Maybe even a fruit tree or two. We go to bed late & very tired, but also happy & feeling blessed. Because, you know, Tomatoes!!!

And Deb: Keep chatting to those tomatoes. Your husband may shake his head now, but just wait until the harvest begins!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2020 :  9:44:50 PM  Show Profile
Sharon,,, nope,, you are not alone.. I have been giving my Okra plants a daily pep talk! lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

179 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
179 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2021 :  3:09:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Sharon!

You definitely are NOT alone in this! At our place, the plants are like babies. . .and we love them! It hurts us when they break or get eaten by critters/bugs.
I talk to the plants, too. I know that they love it! Stay happy and keep talking!

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2021 :  6:32:36 PM  Show Profile
I, too, talk to my veggies... I like to whisper those sweet nothings, LOL!... words of love and encouragement to grow big and happy and help me feed my family!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic For the Love of Tomatoes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page