True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2021 :  08:19:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

For years I have planted some of my seeds at the end of March and met with success growing plants like spinach and roots like beets. I recently came across information that I can direct sow SEVERAL different veggies even now, before the last frost: cabbages, celery, kale, lettuce, spinach, beets, carrots, and so much more! Basically, it said, you can sow anything as long as it's not a tender fruit or veggie like tomatoes and peppers, which require very warm soil to grow. As a matter of fact, I read that this is actually an ideal time to direct sow because it's very good for the seed germination. It is suggested that we just remove any mulch and plant the seeds. Very few seeds will require any type of row cover (like the celery), and most prefer the snow and direct sun! They take longer to germinate this way, but by the time you're ready to plant your tenders, these plants will be hearty and well-under way. How exciting!

Do any of you do this? I am really anxious to know. I do have a bunch of pots and seed starting soil ready to go, and will definitely still make a mini "greenhouse" with the glass panels laid on top of the rows between our raised beds to grow potted seeds like tomatoes, squash and peppers later this spring; but this super early direct sowing method sounds intriguing! I would love to hear your thoughts before I do anything!!! If you give this method your experienced thumbs up, I'll be working the soil tomorrow!

Thank you so much!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 03 2021 08:20:15 AM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2021 :  08:27:44 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I can't help you cause I've never planted early. When my sister had her big garden she always sowed her peas in Feb and our last frost date is mid March.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2021 :  08:46:16 AM  Show Profile
OH! PEAS! SARA! Maybe planting early like this I will actually get a harvest! The birds always seem to get to the plants before we get any major growth. They are already here in droves, despite the weather; so this year, I will definitely be covering with row cover to protect them... BUT what a GREAT idea! I'll have to pull them out of my box, too! I am going to plant a whole bunch of them! THANK YOU!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2021 :  6:50:36 PM  Show Profile
I've not tried this with garden seeds but I know that you can "frost seed" clover into fields or pastures. The idea is that you broadcast the seeds onto the frozen ground and the freezing/thawing that happens overnight in early spring works the seed into the ground and it then grows. I've seen it done successfully and I've seen it not work at all. If you have extra seeds I say try it! If it doesn't work you can replant. If it does we'll all know to try it next year LOL!!!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2021 :  09:59:29 AM  Show Profile
Well, we did plant one bed last week, Heather... Oh my! I had NO idea how out of shape I really am! YOWSA! LOL! I planted carrots, radishes, beets, spinach, lettuce and onions so far. This coming week, I'm shooting for cabbages, peas, broccoli, cauliflower and turnips. I'd also like to get some flower seeds in the garden, too. We have done SOME direct winter sowing before with success - beets and spinach for sure - but never on this scale. We will see what happens! I figure it's worth a try. Although seeds are harder to come by right now, they are a lot less expensive than buying seedlings at the nursery. We do our own seedlings, too, but if all else fails this year, I know where to go! ;) I'll keep you posted! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Winter Direct Seed Sowing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page