YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  07:08:36 AM  Show Profile
I have grown herbs and roses in containers for years. This morning I was reminded of one of the reasons I like it. Last week my new yellow rose "Ron's Choice" was in the sun. Today I noticed that by 9 a.m. the morning sun had shifted and the house cast a shadow over it. I moved it further down the deck rail next to the parsley. Along with being able to move containers around when they need more sun or shade I can water/fertilize each container as needed.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  10:08:00 AM  Show Profile
I hear ya,, sometimes containers are the perfect set-up... I use to have an avocado tree,, that was in a pot for several years,, I had it on a 'roller thingy', (wood base, with wheels),, and it made it so easy for me to roll it around on our patio, back in SO.Calif.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  11:03:01 AM  Show Profile
Grace the rose is back where it started. About an hour after I moved it the neighbor's trees started shading it. If I had just waited a couple of hours the rose would had been in full sun in its original place. When I moved into my house nine years ago the deck was 3/4 sunny and only the south en in shade. Now the deck is over half shady.

I grew an avocado once but it never grew out of it's little pot before it died. Never tried again. Maybe I'll try again but I doubt it. It would have to winter over inside and I only have room to move the bay tree indoors. I do like having a ready supply of fresh bay leaves.

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  11:37:15 AM  Show Profile
Living in a townhouse means container herb/veggie gardening for me. I also have to move containers around during the day since I only get partial sun during the day in the front and back. I am trying tomatoes again this year and hope to finally thwart the chipmunks from stealing them. Have fun gardening!

Dawn in IL

Roses are red, violets are blue, even 6 feet away I still miss you!
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  12:45:59 PM  Show Profile
I've planted my geraniums and succulents in containers so I can move them under shelter if there is a freeze. We had an avocado seed in the compost pile grow into a nice sized little tree about 12 feet tall. Winter frosts would kill the top and it would come back but one year we had a really hard freeze -- the water pipe breaking kind, and the tree died.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  2:10:48 PM  Show Profile
Dawn we don't have chipmunks but do have squirrels. They have been busy and I've been pulling up wee oak & pecan trees in the yard and raised beds. Hope the chipmunks leave your tomatoes alone.

Judith I've had potatoes growing in the compost but never an avocado tree - I think you take the price.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  4:40:53 PM  Show Profile
Sara -- we are currently digging up the pecan and oak trees the squirrels "planted" last fall but I am very thankful for the squirrels because before they arrived I had to pick up all the pecans and my back can't take that anymore.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  5:05:22 PM  Show Profile
I have a huge 1/2 acre garden but I love all my containers around my greenhouse! Every year I plant various herbs, edible flowers and some perennials that I then transplant for the next year. I have one huge pot that has a rose in it I havent decided where to put it!!:D

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  5:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Dianna -- watch out where you put that pot of roses. I had a 5 gallon pot that my sister gave me with giant lilies in it. By the time I decided where to put it, so many roots had grown through the bottom of the pot that it couldn't be moved. I now have a giant patch of lilies outside the bedroom window where I really wanted primroses.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  6:09:31 PM  Show Profile
Lol, I thought about that Judith! If I have to I'll bust the pot open and dig it up. It's right by the corner of hubs shop. He doesnt want Rose's there. ;)

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2020 :  5:49:46 PM  Show Profile
I love reading all of the posts about everyone's various experiences with gardening! It truly is an adventure isn't it?! Failures, Successes, Surprises! We continue to "grow & bloom" just like the flowers & herbs & veggie seeds we plant. Let's garden on gals, garden on!!!
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2020 :  6:18:43 PM  Show Profile
Lol, yes, Sharon, garden on!! Welcome and hood to have you here!

I just planted more Nasturtiums and a new pot of parsley. I had been grabbing a hand full everyday I was working outside and today I was about to grab another handful to pop in my mouth and saw the hugest monarch Caterpillar on the parsley and as I began to do a more in depth study I found smaller ones eating on the parsley!! I wonder how many of them I may have popped in my mouth??? Ick...

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2020 :  7:17:44 PM  Show Profile
Probably best to not think about those caterpillars too much! Or to repeat to yourself: Things swallowed whole don’t count” ! Maybe research will find that they are real immunity builders!!!
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2020 :  7:23:19 PM  Show Profile
LOL Dianne! I remember as a little girl we had a wild pear tree. I was out with my grandpa, and picked one, bit into it and saw a worm. He said "nothing wrong with that, they've just been eating pear" LOL. Maybe he had a point.
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2020 :  05:05:59 AM  Show Profile
Bwahahaha!!!Lisa that's so funny!!! How true was that? Guess I was getting my parsley in a different venue! The DJ said since I'm a vegetarian I needed the protien!!
Shannon, true that! I'm just putting more parsley and moving on! I hate that I may have hurt the monarch population by a small amount! Giggle.....

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2020 :  05:12:01 AM  Show Profile
I don't have a caterpillar story but I did pull out 7 wee pecan trees growing in my container of pansies. Surprised the pansies lasted till now. I'll clean up the container and have it ready for next year's crop of pansies.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2020 :  05:16:17 AM  Show Profile
Ssra. Do you replant the trees anywhere? My pansies left me last month! Yours did great!! Trying to think of something I can plant in their pots for the rest of the summer!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2020 :  06:11:02 AM  Show Profile
Dianna, I have small back & front yards so there's no place for another tree. I won't replant because I'm into the every other day of watering and soon it'll be everyday. This time of year it's easy for me to resist adding plants.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2020 :  06:12:48 AM  Show Profile
Ahhh, yes, we too are watering pots AND a half acre garden!! So I totally understand!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2020 :  08:56:28 AM  Show Profile
Dianna,, think of those catapillers as extra protein! lololol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2020 :  03:54:17 AM  Show Profile
Yes Grace!!! I did but had to also think of 'what if this was this zombie apocalypse ' survival mode. Not sure I'll ever do it on my own like that. Ick....I'll stick to grass and leaves all else unknown!! Lol

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2020 :  03:55:37 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever grown container sweet potatoes? I've seen potatoes grown this way with great success but never any sweet potatoes?

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2020 :  04:09:43 AM  Show Profile
Dianna I don't know why it wouldn't work for sweet potatoes too. The only difference I can see is sweet potatoes have long vines. A tomato cage; some other trellis should work for the vines; or let them run on the ground if there's room. If you try it let us know how it turns out.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2020 :  04:20:26 AM  Show Profile
Yes, that IS a good idea and I am going to do this for sure Sara! Will keep you posted. I have my eyes all ready to plant! H as ve a beautiful day!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2020 :  1:32:26 PM  Show Profile
I have never grown sweet potatoes but I sure do eat a lot of them. I have one that is starting to sprout so I think I'll plant it and see what happens. I hope it is more successful than potatoes; every time I've grown potatoes I harvest little walnut-sized ones. At least they are good in stew.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2020 :  2:58:12 PM  Show Profile
I do both. I like containers for the reason you mention, and also have lettuce, herbs and flowers right by the kitchen in addition to the garden. Containers are great - just remember to disinfect them between seasons.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Container Gardening Next Topic  
Next Page