katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2018 :  8:54:28 PM  Show Profile
Rachel, I. Forgot to mention.... my grand kiddos are adopted. My daughter thought it would make for a nice gift for them to do their DNA so they could know a little about their heritage.
2 of the kiddos are bi-racial. We know their mother is also bi-racial. But we don't know anything about their father.
The 3rd one is Caucasian but the birth mother has literaly disappeared off the radar and we have know info on who the birth father is.
I love my grand kiddos to the moon and back

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2018 :  7:53:42 PM  Show Profile
Such a great topic...I was adopted. First met my natural mother when I was 56. I used Ancestry.com. I am 3% Scandinavian, 19% Irish, a lot of German and some Cherokee (according to my mothers family). My birth father and mother were German so it makes sense. But being a mutt is ok. No one else is me!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2018 :  8:48:41 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie,, "In a world where you can be anything, Be yourself!"..
I luv that quote.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2018 :  7:34:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the quote. I have to be myself, all others are already spoken for. Lol

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2018 :  10:50:59 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie,,, LOLOLOL!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2018 :  09:08:32 AM  Show Profile
So a fun update on this topic - Ancestry.com contacted me to let me know that they'd re-run my DNA based on the newest science - and it TOTALLY changed my DNA make-up! I was 30% Scandinavian, now I'm only 5%! I'm 74% British, 14% Irish, 5% Scandinavian, 5% German, and a smattering of other things. So who knows what the next update will bring, but I finally have a VERY solid excuse for my obsession with the Royal family!

Farmgirl Sister #127
My blog: http://14thandoak.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2018 :  11:32:47 AM  Show Profile
I think this is so interesting; I may have to get it done, too.

Interesting story...the daughter of my mom's long-time friend took a DNA test just for fun with some other family members and found out that the person she thought was her father actually wasn't! Oops! But it all turned out well in the end. :)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2018 :  7:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Rachel,, they sent me a new update too! now I have gone from 6% Finnish to '0' %.. but know I have some Russian in me... hmmm....

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Sep 26 2018 11:57:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  07:41:19 AM  Show Profile
I had my DNA done in 2017 via Ancestry and the first result baffled me. After I received my results, like Grace, I figured I was switched at birth, which would explain a lot! lol My family is French Canadian and the results were as follows:

65% Great Britain
13% Italy/Greece
9% Iberian Peninsula
6% Irish - I can now legitimately celebrate St Patricks Day! lol
4% Europe West
3% Europe Jewish

WOW! no French in there!!!!

In 2018 they sent me a notice and the stats have changed. Somehow they found the French in my spit! lol

I think greater accuracy will come from an increase of testing. Perhaps, with time ... it will become more accurate. I would like to do a DNA testing that would trace my lineage back to the beginning of time.

Catch you all later!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com

Edited by - ceridwen on Jan 24 2019 07:42:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9246 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9246 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  3:36:09 PM  Show Profile
My brother had his done and we have English, Irish, Dutch and Native American from the Mohawks. We did not know there was so much Scottish nor did we know there was any Swedish. That was a surprise. They want me to have mine done as they say they can find out more of the mother's side from the women doing it. Still mulling over whether I will or not. Interesting mix for sure.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 24 2019 3:36:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  10:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Carole, my sister had her DNA done also bu ancestry dot com... and we have different results and yet "ancestry " said we are a close match... I show a greater percentage of German but she gas a greater percent of English ...
But we fight like cats and dogs, and laugh so hard that we pee our panties... so I know we are sisters!!! Lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  10:15:42 PM  Show Profile
Denise, I wish we could get our fathers DNA but because we are
X chromesomes and males are Y chromesome, science doesn't have that ability yet ... bummer.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9246 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9246 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2019 :  06:28:05 AM  Show Profile
Well, I figure since my brother's have dad's there must be some of that in me too.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2019 :  08:07:56 AM  Show Profile
That is where you are lucky... I do not have a brother...
I only have 2 male cousins on my dad side and the one is my dad 's sister's child... the other male child (from my dad brother) is somewhere on the planet, unfortunately who knows where...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2019 :  08:12:10 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I had our youngest son's DNA tested with National Geographic's genome kit. It started at the beginning of our history in west Africa. My husband's family went to the mid-east and no surprise he is mostly Persian. My side beelined it north to Denmark and Sweden on my mom's side. To my surprise my father's side, who came to this country 3 generations ago from Poland, showed us to be Greek! The family rumor was his family was originally from Greece rang true after all. What I didn't expect was to also be so Scandinavian from my dad's side as well as 3% southeast Asian. No clue where that came from!

Grace is correct about females not having the X chromosome to get a full clear picture of their father's side. Even so, it was fun to do and interesting to read over the course of time how our families moved about the world.

Dawn in IL

In winter the stars seem to have rekindled their fires, the moon achieves a fuller triumph, and the heavens wear a look of a more exalted simplicity. ~John Burroughs, "The Snow-Walkers," 1866

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Jan 25 2019 08:13:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2019 :  2:05:32 PM  Show Profile
Two of my grandchildren are adopted and so their mother had their dna tested. When both results showed a small percentage from Nigeria the 7-year old said, "See we really are brothers!"

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2019 :  4:21:05 PM  Show Profile
what a wonderful topic!

Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it.
Cards by Joan Creations on FB
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Dirtduchess
True Blue Farmgirl

692 Posts

Patsy
Decatur TX
USA
692 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  08:36:17 AM  Show Profile
Don't we all love to tell about about our DNA journey. So exciting. If any of you want to do any serious researching I suggest gedmatch.com . Some of the tests are free. Other testsare $10.00 per month. But you only pay each month. So you can drop a month if you want. You can upload your raw DNA from almost any company that you tested with. I have 4 family members on my gedmatch. Try it out. It will amaze you.

Patsy
Farmgirl 4678

Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  09:29:52 AM  Show Profile
Unlike most of you, I have no interest in taking a DNA test. Partly it is because I know who I am, and partly the privacy concerns. If my doctor requested it, I'd get the health screening (would our medical insurance cover it?).
On the funny side, my sister-in-law got her results back that said she's 4% Bantu. Now my brother-in-law teases her about that.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs just need to relax and accept it.

The world is so full of a number of things I think we should all be as happy as kings. Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2019 :  7:58:04 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa, good question... but I don't think Insurance companies can use it against you because these type of DNA testings are still questionable.

As for my sister and I, we are still scratching our heads trying to figure how I have Finnish & Russian in me and neither in her... lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2019 :  06:42:09 AM  Show Profile
The genome testing we did kept everything anonymous. We were given the option if we wanted it that way.

Dawn in IL

In winter the stars seem to have rekindled their fires, the moon achieves a fuller triumph, and the heavens wear a look of a more exalted simplicity. ~John Burroughs, "The Snow-Walkers," 1866
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2019 :  4:02:37 PM  Show Profile
Ancestry updated my dna and said I am English,German, Norwegian, Swedish and Cherokee. No scots or Irish. My mother would be shocked if she were alive. What I found to be most interesting was my mothers family has been in the us since the early 1700s. Trouble is all the questions about the people in our past will never get answered. Rats!

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9246 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9246 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2019 :  07:06:33 AM  Show Profile
A question I have. If females don't have or show their father's DNA, how do some of us end up looking like our fathers? Maybe I missed that class in biology or something. LOL

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2019 :  11:16:08 AM  Show Profile
I just wanted to share this all with you.

If you've done the Ancestry.com DNA test, you can download your raw DNA data report. I did that, and then uploaded it to the MyHeritage.com site because I read that MyHeritage was more accurate in the DNA regions than Ancestry. They analyzed the raw data and for $29 I got my report. The results are vastly different from what Ancestry has said. And what MyHeritage told me in my report lines up more with the family story/history that exists in our family.

Case in point - there is family lore that my great, great, great, great grandmother was a German Jew who left the old country and her Judaism behind when she moved to America and married a Roman Catholic. Growing up, my dad always told me that my very curly hair came from the Jewish side of our family, but that they've only been able to identify her, but not her family in Europe. Add to that the fact that my maiden name, although German, is primarily a Jewish German last name. Ancestry.com's analysis indicated very little Jewish blood, but MyHeritage.com analyzed my genetics with 4.2% Ashkenazi (European) Jewish heritage - very much in line with the family history. Having converted from Christianity to Judaism a few years ago (totally unrelated to any of what I'm sharing here), my rabbi has said that I have "restored" the lineage, which just makes me happy.

Farmgirl Sister #127
My blog: http://14thandoak.com
"Nowadays, even living simply - working only to acquire life's most basic necessities, demands so much." - Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

Edited by - RachelLeigh on Jan 30 2019 11:18:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  9:00:04 PM  Show Profile
Denise, I think we get DNA info from the 'X' chromesome in our fathers, which would be from our father's mother... but I could be wrong, it does get a bit confusing.

Rachel, thanx for the info about 'MyHeritage'...
I need to check into that.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic DNA Testing... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page