Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens Next Topic
Page: of 8

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - May 06 2018 :  9:27:48 PM  Show Profile
One of the perks of gardening.....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on May 06 2018 9:28:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - May 07 2018 :  03:35:46 AM  Show Profile
Absolutely Gorgeous! Such delicate looking flowers. I bring roses in quite often myself.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - May 22 2018 :  09:34:57 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful, katmom!!!

I got 90% of planting done this weekend! The deck is now full of pots, pots everywhere! And the hanging baskets out there are done too! Did 18 bell pepper plants this year, then containers of green beans, pickling cucumbers, yellow squash, zucchini and green onions. One pot of lemon balm and some with flower seeds DS picked out as an experiment :)

Have a few more pots to fill and plant with more green beans and cucumbers this weekend!
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - May 29 2018 :  09:46:30 AM  Show Profile
Well, the lemon balm is a no go. I figured it would be because I knocked the container over before I got it watered - I think all the seeds were lost :(

So I planted cucumbers in that pot instead!

Did a few more pots of random veggies this weekend! Repotted some citronella plants my MIL gave us too!

The big container I planted with bush green beans is going NUTS! Those suckers went from just sprouting above the dirt to 3 inches tall in ONE DAY - as I looked at them in the morning and then again in the evening and WOW - there they were! lol

One of DS's pots of flowers is sprouting like mad. The other - no sign yet - it's a different type of flower (as opposed to the mix of butterfly attracting flowers in the other one) and I'm not sure if it's going to "go" or not.

If not, I'll discretely replant with more veggies :)
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2018 :  10:44:57 AM  Show Profile
Well Mother Nature is being a big Phoo!
We were getting some nice weather then dropped back down and then we got Hail,, and night temps dropped down to 39' last nite.. my poor plants,,
My Peony got frost burn...

as for my Iris'.. they came through unscathed...

Our cherry trees took a hit from the Hail,, but we still have a good picking amount.. Our Plum and Apple seems to be ok too.. whew!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2018 :  08:25:02 AM  Show Profile
Harvested three buds off caper bush. Planted it in April so it's a fast growing plant. I put the buds in fermenting bok choy.

This week I had four raised beds built 8' X 1' X 12" and put on two high cinder blocks so I don't have to bend over. They're filled with rich loam with a layer of decaying leaves on the bottom. With the raised beds I can garden for decades to come.

Two beds are for herbs which I am transplanting from containers. Will do a square foot in store garlic. Next spring I will use the green tops and small bulbs what I call fresh garlic - another name for it is green garlic.

The other two beds will be used for fall planting of one bed of beets for pickling, 1/2 bed each colored carrots, and ruby red Swiss chard. In the spring I'll plant green onions and eggplant for sure - will decide on other plants next year.

I'm using the Square Foot Gardening book as my guide.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1614 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1614 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  09:02:34 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I canned up some relish from my abundance of cukes. Tomatoes are doing very well as with my bell pepper plants. Its an awesome feeling to be able to pick some fresh veggies every few days. Planning up my Fall garden.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  09:46:38 AM  Show Profile
Laurie glad to hear your garden is doing good and giving you plenty of produce to put up and have fresh too.

I should know where Alvin is but I can't place it at the moment. What are you planning for your fall garden and when will you start it?

I am planning for my fall garden too. Thinking about sowing seeds the first of Sept.

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1614 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1614 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  10:13:08 AM  Show Profile
Sara, Alvin is about 35 minutes North from Galveston taking Hwy 6. Is the way I go and easiest way to Galveston. Russet potatoes in one bed, then in the other bed and or in large pots carrots, onions--- usually in lg. pot, beets. Plan on doing this around the sametime as you Sara. Just love having fresh produce.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  10:22:48 AM  Show Profile
Grace...sounds like I left Spokane just about the right time. I cannot believe what a windy city Spokane has become.
Every time I am there the wind is blowing like crazy! Having been raised there I know it was not always like that.
And it seemed it was either really hot while I was there or really cold. Very Strange weather patterns.

Your Iris' look beautiful!!! Your poor peony not so good but hopefully they will bounce back with new blooms.

I almost have my Mom's house ready to go on the Market. I was told by lots of people that I shouldn't have any
problem selling it because it is in a great location (by Five Mile/Northside) and it is a cute house...though it
needs improvements made to it. I plan to sell it As-Is and let some young couple buy it and put their own stamp
on it. It was a great Family Home for 55 years.

Hope you don't get anymore Freezing Weather!

Hugs and More Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

LOVE YOU TO THE BEACH AND BACK!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  10:27:00 AM  Show Profile
Laurie, I didn't realize you were that far south of me. I'm thirty miles south of the Red River between Texas and OK in northeast part of the state.

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1614 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1614 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  12:19:31 PM  Show Profile
Sara, we are miles apart,but it's nice to know other farmgirls are in our state.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  12:40:30 PM  Show Profile
Laurie there are quite a few Texas gals around the farm.

The man who built my raised beds just called to see how I like them and I told him it was one of the best things I have done for myself lately. Not to have to bend over while working the beds is a real joy. Four years shy of my 80th birthday I don't bend like I use to.

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  2:53:41 PM  Show Profile

Garden goodies.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  2:54:34 PM  Show Profile

Some flowers today.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  2:58:06 PM  Show Profile
Diana, a beautiful bounty. Enjoy!!!

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4332 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4332 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  3:37:33 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely beautiful floral and veggie bounties!! It was a really tough spring/summer here for our veggies and flowersbetween the heat and enormous amounts of rain! I counted over 25 seed packets planted with only okra and a few watermelons making as well as only my cosmos and less than 10 zinnia in the way of floral. I planted so much not just once but 3 different times. Last year and the year before awesome. This year horrible. However my potted herbs are all wonderful. Weird.

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1614 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1614 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  4:20:42 PM  Show Profile
Diana, wonderful bounty. Sara, glad you had those raised beds built. Easier on the back for sure. It's good to stay active, glad that you are still going strong. I'm in my late sixties and still love being active.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2018 :  10:40:59 AM  Show Profile
The other day I ordered seeds for fall raised beds. beets - colored carrots - ruby red Swiss chard.

Everything is hanging on doing okay in spite if high temps and no rain. I water every other night. P prefer to water in the mornings but city water is too hot then. By evening it's cool. Have no idea why morning water is so hot.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4332 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4332 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2018 :  4:47:05 PM  Show Profile
I just planted pumpkins and more sunflowers for fall and reserved my flower bed with cosmos for the end of the season for the bees, butterflies and hummers!! The watermelons are growing quickly in the heat and rain and t hf e okra is putting out faster than I can pick! So despite the load of failures between the critters and rain washing so much away it's doing much better niw!! Happy camper I am!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2018 :  4:56:01 PM  Show Profile
Dianna glad your garden is producing for you and happy planning for the fall. When okra makes it can really keep you busy picking before it gets too big.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4332 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4332 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2018 :  5:12:18 PM  Show Profile
Yes it sure does! I have to throw out a few each time I go out! Which is every day now!!:o

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

etcharb
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Eileen
Holden MA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2018 :  7:04:19 PM  Show Profile
My new favorite picture of my garden gate:

Eileen

https://www.eileenofinlan.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2018 :  2:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Eileen, I am so sorry I overlooked your post. Your fence and gate are beautiful. The rose is in the perfect place.

I harvested the tops of my hyssop plant today for tea for sore throat. This is my first time to grow it and didn't know if I would like it or not. Has a pleasant taste with honey. Hope it winters over in raised bed - if not I will have to grow it as an annual and re-plant every year - I really like it.

While I was looking up how to brew the hyssop for tea I came across hydrangea in my herb book. Never have thought of hydrangea as a herb. Will have to do more research to see if it has a place in my herbal medicinal garden. I don't want to cut on the one hydrangea I have in front flower bed but one for teas could be grown in raised bed.

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2018 :  3:15:12 PM  Show Profile

I love reading all the posts...seeing everyone's pictures and love for gardening and all their ideas...Sara you always give me an extra smile for the day with the things you post...Thoughts and words come so easily for you...Always brightens my day!!!

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page