Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens Next Topic
Page: of 8

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2018 :  7:01:02 PM  Show Profile
Well here I sit,, watching the crocus pop up and the roses starting to throw red buds of new growth... but alas,,, still cant rototill nor plant anything... uugh,, Mother Nature is so Bi-polar over here!
Got 4 days of rain coming in,,, oh joy... and yet, I drove into Spokane and every ones yards are green and blooming with flowers...
We live in a 4a and 4b zone.. so we are always a month behind Spokane when it comes to nice gardening weather.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2018 :  7:20:13 PM  Show Profile
Sweet Grace, I FEEL FOR YOU!!!!! Although the weather has NOT been as bad as what some of you have had I have had my fair share of hit and miss with spring here! I believe this is my THIRD TIME cultivating and pulling up weeds in my flower garden and herb garden but HALLELUJAH today I finished before the next bout of rain got here!!! I finally got all the weeds pulled ( my aching back) and cultivated, rows are done and the planting has begun!!! I......CAN'T....wait!!!! I eagerly anticipate YOUR gardening adventures as well!!! OLD MAN WINTER it is time for you to exit stage left!!! ( It is not that often Punxsutawney Phil is right is it? Me thinkest he is making up also for all the times he called it wrong too, lol)

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2018 :  06:35:45 AM  Show Profile
Well gals, our weather is anything but spring like. Just had 12 inches of snow in the last two days. Ah, spring!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2018 :  06:46:30 AM  Show Profile
I've never seen that much snow. I hope spring comes to your areas soon.

We had a nice rain yesterday so the plants I put in the ground & in containers earlier are doing good. Potting soil should arrive on Friday so I can put rest of herbs in containers. I would like to get a lemongrass and a couple of lantana hanging baskets the next time I visit Kelly's Fruit & Veg Stand.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  05:54:41 AM  Show Profile
Got down to freezing last night so I brought the bay tree, caper bush, and all herbs I have yet to pot inside. They will go back out tomorrow because it will be down to freezing tonight. I checked this morning and all herbs outside were not hurt.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  06:11:27 AM  Show Profile
It was 38 here last night but I n thankful we don't have the snow y'all have been getting!!! I so hope this is the last of it for you!! My poor male hummer was all puffed up this morning on his perch! Lucklily the new seedlings are safe!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  06:17:58 AM  Show Profile
Dianna, hummingbirds haven't showed up in my little corner of Texas - maybe later this month.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  06:23:39 AM  Show Profile
Sara I had 3 males showed up 2 week is ago during the 'Sam's spell and my female last week so 4 so far! The purple Martin's are all back and nesting, the king bird came back 3 days ago and I JUST HEARD an eastern flycatcher on our walk Friday and they usually get here first of May!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  06:24:24 AM  Show Profile
Its all good tho, nature just doing her thing!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  07:35:43 AM  Show Profile
I love that you girls are so into bird watching! I don't meet many people who can recognize that many birds, let alone determine their sex or know them by call! Our spring begins with the return of the red winged black birds in the rice fields and the blue birds in my yard. And I've begun to see the first signs of the house finches dropping grasses on the porch as they struggle yet another year to nest on porch lamps and eaves.
I've seen volunteer pumpkins in various places, so I'd better get my game on and start planting SOMETHING around here!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  07:44:22 AM  Show Profile
The only bird I can recognize it's song is the cardinal. Years ago I saw a male cardinal on a high wire singing and it flew off. A mockingbird took it's place and sung the same song. Only time I have seen or heard a mockingbird actually mock another songbird. Mockingbirds are my favorite followed by cardinals and brown thrashers.

Sara I have a couple of volunteer pumpkin plants too from last year's bumpy pumpkin I had on front porch than moved to flower bed to decompose over the winter.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  08:26:10 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sara! That's been our favorite HOBBY!! Bird watching and identification! I'd been doing it for years as a wildlife photographer and rehabilitator and thewhen my husband and I married he marveled at the amount of new birds he was learning about! Said he had no idea that so many different birds existed! Now he can identify them by their songs too! I journal how many stay, leave, return too the same spot, how many hatch, when they fledge etc! I love them so!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna

Edited by - suny58 on Apr 08 2018 09:03:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  08:29:33 AM  Show Profile
YellowRose/Sara I had a bunch of volunteer pumpkin and Cosmos come up along with a few mammoth sunflowers. Everything died back except the sunflowers! They are 3 1/2 ft tall now! I should have saved those pumpkins tho! Argh!!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  08:42:56 AM  Show Profile
You might enjoy this site Sara
https://www.bird-sounds.net/
Finally got all my seeds planted, several varieties of peppers, several tomatoes, onions (bunching), leeks, and several flowers.
The rest I will direct seed in the garden.
I used a soil blocker for the 1st time; they are supposed to be good for the roots.
I can't wait until the hummingbirds come out again. At our feed store, they have these little hand held hummingbird feeders where the birds will land right on your hand! The girl at the shop said they DO work! Here is one I found online https://www.kinsmangarden.com/product/Hand-Held-Hummingbird-Feeder/Hummingbird-Feeders-And-Accessories?c=NL&gclid=CjwKCAjw-6bWBRBiEiwA_K1ZDYr8f60t8G9kMRYDMgZTuZVULrhYf-CREgf6HhBAHpgFgNqBMqUUJBoCHsYQAvD_BwE
Our house has an interesting history, as it used to be the gallery of a very famous wildlife artist, John Ruthven. He paints in the Audubon style, and has painted the eagle for 3 presidents, as well as a lab for a Russian one. He was commissioned a few years ago to paint Martha, the last passenger pigeon on the side of the Cinci library that is several stories high. He was out in the July heat, on scaffolding, painting. Here is a cool article about that http://www.artworkscincinnati.org/mural/martha-the-last-passenger-pigeon/
He is in his nineties, and still actively painting several commissioned works. I swear we get more wild birds because of his aura here. I am very diligent about feeding them year round, because John told me how important that is.
Anyway, just an interesting sidebar. I love that I can call up such a legend on the phone, and he can answer any question I have about nearly any wildlife creature.
Sunny here today! Yeah finally, and on a weekend!! Lots of chores to be done!
Keep up the good work gals!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  08:53:02 AM  Show Profile
Lisa what a wonderful legacy for you and your home. Do you have any of his work?

I looked up the handheld feeder and it's so cute - may have to look at it again.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  08:57:21 AM  Show Profile
Wow Lisa!!!! How wonderfully amazing!!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  11:13:09 AM  Show Profile
It is quite special, and we are fortunate that his gallery is still in town, and he is there several times a week painting.
I have one large print that I traded with John for some professional work, other than that, only a few small ones (they don't come cheap LOL)
Weird shadow at the bottom from the window reflection.
Also, Not sure if this should be posted under Kitchen or Garden, but did you know this weed is edible? We have this EVERYWHERE. It is called purple dead nettle. I am going to try to make some pesto with it later today. Learn something new everyday.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  11:36:30 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, let us know how the pesto turns out. Can't say I like the name especially for something to eat.I know some nettles are editable hadn't heard of that one.

Beautiful picture of the red foxes.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  12:16:35 PM  Show Profile
Lisa your painting is just beautiful! I love fox! Such a fantastic artist! You are blessed!
That's so interesting about the nettle! Is this the same as what they make nettle tea from? I drink a lot of it. I am heading over to my local AG office this week to have a few weeds identified so I am going to ask about nettle. How tall does it get?

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2018 :  07:31:06 AM  Show Profile
Diana, it is not the same nettle; those are stinging nettles. I think the reason this one is called dead is because it doesn't sting. I made the pesto; it tasted pretty good, but I think it was mainly because of the wild onions that were in there. Not sure if I would like this weed as a stand alone.
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2018 :  6:08:48 PM  Show Profile
Started planting my raised beds today. Doing the square foot method. Planted peas, onions, lettuce, spinach and radishes. Farmer's Almanac said it was a good day to plant vining plants and root plants.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2018 :  8:31:20 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Will NOT be planting a garden this year! We have finally freed ourselves from our cows, and that means no more irrigation chores (pasture was "borrowed" for our cows). We have had a VERY DRY winter, very little snow which means that summer water supply will be less than usual. Our garden has done poorly the last three years so we're not planting.

We are going to ENJOY having NO MORE COW CHORES to do and NO MORE PASTURE IRRIGATION CHORES TO DO. . . NO MORE FENCE REPAIR CHORES to do.
We are going to get back to camping, time in the mountains and pursuit of other things! HALLELUJAH!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2018 :  10:48:55 AM  Show Profile
Ceejay, I feel your freedom! But mark my words, you're going to miss those soft noses, the way they smell, their sing-song lowing...:-)

Enjoy yourself and your untethered life!!
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 02 2018 :  05:55:28 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday we dug up our rhubarb and moved it to a better location for it. Then my husband tilled in the garden while I stained the front steps. Then down the holler for a four wheeler ride. A great spring day. This morning I am walking the dogs to a ramp patch in the woods to gather some for supper. Then more deck staining for me.

You Might Be a Redneck If---you've transported a goat in an economy car.---Jeff Foxworthy FarmGirl#7620
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 02 2018 :  6:29:25 PM  Show Profile
I have been working in the garden the last couple weekends, using my first ever compost, my animal friends keeping me company, and the seeds are starting to bud. This weekend I will set up my last garden bed, laying down mulch in the flower bed and then we will be off and running for summer 2018 garden.

Jana

http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page