ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  06:59:18 AM  Show Profile
Hello fellow stargazing farmgirls! Tonight is July's full moon called the "Thunder Moon" by the native Americans. The name is due to the number of thunderstorms that usually occur during July.

The best time to see the moon in all it's glory in the Chicago area is around midnight. Check on the internet to see what time is best by you.

Here's hoping for clear skies!
Dawn in IL

Life is like a novel, every day is a new page......

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  07:03:34 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Dawn for the info on the Thunder Moon. We have been having thunderstorms lately so the Indians were right about this time of year.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4332 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4332 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  08:15:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Dawn for the info! Boy have those thunderstorms been bad here of late also! I do hope to see it tonight and maybe even get a good capture on my new camera! Happy July!

Farmgirl #7703
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  5:56:00 PM  Show Profile
We have fluffy clouds here in the sky, hopefully they will allow the moon to shine through so all of us can get at least a glimpse of it!

Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  7:41:42 PM  Show Profile
Thunder Moon is very appropriate. I saw a huge thunderhead this afternoon and saw flashes of lightning from it--all is peaceful now, though.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2017 :  05:28:47 AM  Show Profile
I hope someone got to see last nights full moon. I did get up at midnight for a glimpse but alas, the clouds had covered it. Woke up to a good old fashioned thunderstorm here. That's fine with me, we needed the rain.

Thunder moon indeed!
Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2017 :  07:18:45 AM  Show Profile
I saw the moon rise giant and pink over the bean fields across from my porch last night. It was beautiful! <3

Erin
Sister #3762
Farmgirl of the Month ~ March 2016
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2017 :  08:08:43 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Dawn! I just finished reading this thread on Thunder Moon last night when I heard the loudest thunder. The wind picked up and the trees were blowing like I have never seen them. More rolling thunder and lightening. DH was already asleep. The thunder became so disturbing and power went out so I went to bed. Its the first time I became so unsettled by a thunder storm. I'll probably always remember this connection to the Thunder Moon.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2017 :  08:17:23 AM  Show Profile
We must have your storm right now Judith! I jumped a minute ago from how loud the thunder was.

Erin
Sister #3762
Farmgirl of the Month ~ March 2016
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2017 :  10:30:59 AM  Show Profile
We were having a cloudy night following a typical thunder shower afternoon here in Florida. I wish I could have seen the Thunder Moon rise!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2017 :  11:10:45 AM  Show Profile
I'll bet you're right, Erin!
We had relatives as afternoon and dinner guests. They should have just made it home by the time the storm started.
My daughter and her DH borrowed our screen tent for Bible summer camp. Last night they were presenting a skit for all the kids. They will continue it tonight and tomorrow night. By the time they got home a branch had knocked out the power at their house. It was repaired about an hour ago.
Perfect timing for all of our endeavors.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Thunder Moon Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page