MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2017 :  1:09:51 PM  Show Profile
What's your favorite way to decorate eggs for Easter? Any fun ways other then the typical egg dyes? Looking to try some new egg decorating projects this year with Tilton.

Krista

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2017 :  1:41:16 PM  Show Profile
I like to go natural. Coffee, tea, beet juice, yellow mustard, grape juice and food coloring. After dying dip in coffee or tea for antique or stone look. Add white vinegar to the water to help it dye.

If you find you really like the dyed eggs you can keep them by mummifying them. Last summer I gave my three chickens to my sister because Annie wanted to play with them. I saved their last six eggs and mummified them. Four made it and I have them in MJF ceramic egg crate.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2017 :  10:26:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara! I like the idea of making them look antique. I haven't ever heard of mummifying eggs before. How do you do that?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2017 :  10:30:31 AM  Show Profile
I can confirm from last year that not adding vinegar to the water will definitely keep the natural dye from setting, haha.

Rachel, #6992
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2017 :  10:49:01 AM  Show Profile
To mummify hard boiled eggs:

Check eggs for cracks - discard if found.

Put eggs in warm, airy place out of direct sun light.

Check every week or so for cracks - if found discard.

As the eggs mummify they will reek so an out building or garage is a good place for them.

It will take months for eggs to completely mummify. Time depends on temperature, climate, and water content.

The eggs will weigh less once they are mummified so that's how I tell they are done doing their thing.

Once mummified the eggs will keep for a year or a little more. As they age check for cracks.

Ten years ago I mummified 2 dozen eggs at Easter time and kept them in a wooden bowl on my kitchen table for over a year. One night what sounded like a shotgun went off in my house. On searching the house I found one mummified egg laying on the back of a kitchen chair. The next day another egg exploded and I trashed all the eggs. My best guess is over time gases build up in the eggs.

My four mummified eggs will be a year old this August so I will check them weekly.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2017 :  12:03:39 PM  Show Profile
Krista, given Tilton's young age, he might be intrigued by using a crayon to mark on a warm egg prior to placing it in the bath dye. The crayon prevents the dye from sticking to that area and so you can write his name, let him scribble, or you can draw a letter or number he might recognize.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2017 :  11:21:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh wow Sara! That is so crazy! I would have been scared to death. Thank you for telling me how. I might mummify one of Tilton's eggs. That is if they survive his art work!

Thanks Winnie! He has recently found a love for coloring so I bet he will be intrigued when I tell him to color on the egg. This will be fun.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Easter Egg Decorating Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page