Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Garden Plans 2017 - Now We Put Our Gardens to Bed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden Plans 2017 - Now We Put Our Gardens to Bed Next Topic
Page: of 10

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2017 :  6:26:43 PM  Show Profile
Sara
I too am dreading the ever so hot days!

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2017 :  08:44:11 AM  Show Profile
This morning I cut back the dead lantana stems and removed the leaves. All five plants are showing life. When Kelly's have their lantana hanging baskets out I will get two. Will hang them on a double Shepard's hook in the middle of the long flowerbed along the east side of my house. In the fall I will plant the baskets in the bed and have a whole bed of yellow lantanas. I like having perennial hanging baskets on the Shepard's hook that can be planted outside and come back year after year.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2017 :  1:08:52 PM  Show Profile
I have peas, potatoes, onions, parsnips and radishes in the ground. Have to get lettuce, cabbage, brocolli and spinach in yet and spring will be planted.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2017 :  1:29:00 PM  Show Profile
Nora your garden sounds great - here's to you having a bountiful harvest.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  3:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Received an e-mail from UPS and they will deliver the nine herb plants I pre-ordered in Jan from Mountain Valley Nursery this Wed. You know what I will be doing rest of the week. I have been buying up Miracle Grow in the 8lb bags so I have potting soil on hand. I no longer can handle larger bags.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  3:37:42 PM  Show Profile
Sara, are your lantanas perennial? Mine here only last one season.
Planted 2 rows of bunching onions and TX sweet onions, and 2 rows of assorted kales.
Repotting the marigolds from the small cells to larger ones to avoid "legginess"
Hubby made me 3 garden benches from old deck wood. Will spray paint them (when we get some dry days)and they will be perfect for flower pots.
We can't leave them on the ground due to my male dog Jack. He likes to anoint anything that is above ground. HAHA

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  3:59:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lisa, yes the lantanas are perennial here in northeast Texas. Looked it up in one of my Texas garden books and in the most northern part of the state it's treated as a annual.

I like our Texas Sweet onions. They were developed at Texas A&M.

Your garden benches sound great. I don't have to worry about Annie wetting the plants but sometimes she likes to tastes them and make off with the plant labels. To tell the truth I have given my small back yard to her and only garden on the deck. So far that arrangement has worked for the both of us.

Go to Top of Page

Kiltie Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Jennifer
Bay City MI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2017 :  2:22:07 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday, DH and I went to the elevator and bought most of our seeds. I just placed an order with Baker Creek for the rest of them. We'll still have to get onion sets, sweet potato starts, tomato starts and my herbs, but we'll do that end of May/start of June when we plant outside. Here's our list.....

Peaches n' Cream Sweet Corn

Nantes Carrots

Swiss Chard

Straight 8 Cucumbers

Pickling Cucumbers

Spinich

Dill

Early Dutch Cabbage

Turnips

Yellow Summer Squash

Green & Yellow Bush Beans

Big Max Pumpkin

Pie Pumpkin

Kohlrabi

Layton Peas

Glass Gem Corn

Green, Yellow & Orange Bell Peppers

Jalapeno Pepper

Banana Pepper

Evening Sun Sunflowers

Dishcloth Luffa

Long Island Brussel Sprouts

Eggplant

Ground Cherries

Peanuts

Jenn

Farmgirl Sister #7120

http://viewfromourfarm.blogspot.com/

"Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance."
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2017 :  5:33:09 PM  Show Profile
My peas are peeking through. I've got to get in after Friday's rain and loosen the soil. I have very hard soil.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2017 :  06:09:05 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer as I was reading through your list I saw you like to plant unusual plants along side the regular crops. When I used to garden I like to do that too. Always looking for something I hadn't planted before. I still do it on a much smaller scale - this year I have containers of Clary sage, Rose Attar & Peacock scented geraniums.

Nora, I sympathize with you on having hard soil. I lived on Texas black land for thirty-five years and it set up like concrete. Heard a collage professor speak on our black land that runs from north central Texas to the hill country. It's no where else in Texas or the USA - it's kin to the African savanna. I thought that was interesting but it didn't make it any easier to work with, but it sure did grow pretty veggies and flowers.

Edited by - YellowRose on Apr 03 2017 06:10:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2017 :  4:28:08 PM  Show Profile
Sara, that is very interesting about black land, thanks for sharing.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Go to Top of Page

Kiltie Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Jennifer
Bay City MI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2017 :  4:33:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by YellowRose

Jennifer as I was reading through your list I saw you like to plant unusual plants along side the regular crops. When I used to garden I like to do that too. Always looking for something I hadn't planted before. I still do it on a much smaller scale - this year I have containers of Clary sage, Rose Attar & Peacock scented geraniums.

We do like to try new things! Every year we experiment a bit. This year we added a couple new things - peanuts, for example. We're WAY up north, so I'm not even sure they will work. I think we'll container plant them similar to potatoes and see if that works.

Jenn

Farmgirl Sister #7120

http://viewfromourfarm.blogspot.com/

"Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance."
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2017 :  6:42:39 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, that looks like an impressive list of veggies. I have done most of them over the years. Enjoy!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2017 :  10:23:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone!
Because of the rains in So.Cal. this past winter the weeds got a big boost in my backyard. They were 2ft tall I am embarased to admit. Last weekend got out with the weed whacker and cleaned it all out. I have a small victory garden with two raised boxes. This week I planted tomatoes and cherry tomatoes, one cucumber plant and will be soaking pole beans to planted tomorrow. At first it seemed overwhoelming because of the weeds but home grown beans are great. Wish I had room for corn but I live in the burbs. Can't wait to retire and move to the country. Oh almost forgot I have cilantro parsley and basil in pots on the veranda.

TW

The fun begins where the pavement ends!

Edited by - Tumbleweed on Apr 09 2017 07:13:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2017 :  10:42:26 AM  Show Profile
Nancy your victory garden sounds really neat. My great niece grows cucumbers in a cage like tomatoes.

My basil is doing good and I have taken a couple of cuttings off. I don't want it to flower until fall.

My banana tree will be delivered today so I have that to pot and flowers/herbs I bought yesterday for the front yard - marigolds and lemon grass.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2017 :  11:08:14 AM  Show Profile
Seeds went into my garden two weeks ago and I have radishes, zucchini, and cucumbers making an appearance!

Jana

http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjcraftsstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2017 :  12:25:13 PM  Show Profile
Jana Love to see the plants stick their wee leaves up through the soil.

Go to Top of Page

dena91
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Dena
Pennsylvania
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  7:07:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi All :-)

Just had to start posting the work i have been doing in my garden. So glad i found this thread!

Today i tried to prepare a space for my garlic chives in my herb garden. I cannot believe how much clay i dug up!!! I have been working in that space for at least 5 years and thought i had rid it of all or most of the clay. Today was unseasonably warm for Pennsylvania in April - 82 - and i was out there digging up more clay and sweating like crazy! I was so exhausted after prepping the sight that i didn't even get to transplant the chives - they are in a space that doesn't get enough sunlight and I've been wanting to transfer them for a while. All that said, it was wonderful to be outside working in the dirt and being in the sun!

Last week i was able to uncover my strawberries and move them to their sunny spots again after over-wintering behind the shed in their pots.

I also raked all of the old straw away from the raspberries so they could air out a bit before adding another layer as mulch for the season.

Because we live in a shady area, i am limited to what i can grow. I have chosen herbs and berries. In the small space that gets 5-6 hours of sunlight i have put blueberries and strawberries (day neutrals). In the 4-5 hour spots i have put raspberries and blackberries. In our 3-4 hour spot i have my herb garden. I have fought this shade for years, but this year i am trying to just go with it - no veggies except some lettuce, spinach and chard near the house in the 2-3 hour spot. I have tried veggies in pots but i just don't get the yields i would like and it's really not worth the extra watering/feeding that pots require. Kind of sad but we do live in Amish country and can buy veggies less than 5 minutes away. I try to grow things they don't sell, like raspberries and blackberries.

Anyway, so nice to read all the wonderful things everyone is doing. Also great to chime in with my own plans and work. I hope to get those garlic chives moved on Friday - rain tomorrow and I'm out all thursday. Each year i seem more eager to start working outside again after the winter hints of breaking. Hope we get a spring and not jump right to the 80's!

Take care everyone :-)

Dena
Farmgirl 5620
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  8:03:44 PM  Show Profile
Wow...I am getting hungry just reading all these posts.

Jana...are radishes hard to grow? I love radishes but haven't tried growing them.

Dena.... Do you make jams and such? Wish I could grow fruit. I only have tomatoes, one cucumber plant and pole beans. I also have three herb pots on my veranda.

TW

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13568 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13568 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  2:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Just starting to clean our garden out to get ready to till. We could still get freezing temps, so we don't usually plant anything until mid-May and then it's only seeds. Our plants, such as peppers, tomatoes and eggplant, won't get planted until around June 10th. We USUALLY get a late freeze in early June.
Lots of folks who have moved here from other parts of the country get fooled by the earlier warm weather we can have in April/May and plant gardens, only to have them zapped during the late freeze and have to replant.

Only last week we had freezing temps that killed all the blossoms on the apricot trees! Drat it! The pear trees are now blooming . . . probably will be okay.

My flower beds are all cleaned out and things are coming up. I usually get irises first, then columbines, then day lilies, etc. I have a variety of flowers in 3 different beds that bloom at different stages to there are usually flowers for the entire season. We have a very wet winter and our lawn needs mowed already! I'm not ready to start mowing . . . and it's a job on our place!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  2:45:44 PM  Show Profile
One of the things I enjoy about this thread is reading about how y'all garden in different parts of the country.

Dena, glad you found us and thanks for posting what you have been up to in your garden.

CeeJay, cleaning beds isn't much fun but they do look good when done.

Last couple of days we had a good rain so all my newly potted flowers, herbs, and banana tree are doing well. Forgot to put the two Boston ferns on the front porch out in the yard so they could get a good watering in the rain, so I will have to water them in the morning.

Edited by - YellowRose on Apr 12 2017 3:54:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  3:50:04 PM  Show Profile
Sara... What do you grow in N.E. Heaven I mean Texas? Hubby and I are looking in East Texas for retirement next year. I was leaning toward Waco area but the house flipping shows priced it out for us. From what I have seen East Texas looks mighty nice.

TW

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  4:07:05 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, in NE Texas we grow about everything. Some plants maybe annuals here. Peas and cold weather crops are planted early. Last frost is usually middle of March. Starts heating up in June - usually 100 degrees starts in July and runs into Sept. We are back into a drought even though it rains occasionally. Don't know if east Texas is in a drought or not.

Go to Top of Page

dena91
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Dena
Pennsylvania
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  7:03:10 PM  Show Profile
Sara, thanks for the welcome :-).

Nancy, i do make a lot of jam - strawberry, blueberry and peach - enough for the year. I don't grow enough yet to use just my own. My hope is that i will be able to get at least one batch of strawberry and blueberry from my own plants, in addition to adding several batches of raspberry, as i have 7 plants now. Hopefully, they will do well this year.

CJ, that second freeze is something; must take a lot of patience to wait to make sure!

Found some time to transfer the garlic chives today. I hope they look nice in front of the echinacea. I always thought the echinacea behind the oregano just looked too tall. Now I have a medium height chive to break it up a bit. Hopefully it takes.

Tomorrow or friday i hope to move some alpine strawberries to a sunnier spot. Contrary to popular belief, they are not completely shade lovers. They need at least 4-6 hours of sun so off they go to a sunnier spot. Hopefully they will get enough light where i have room for them. Some were there last year and i don't remember if they produced fruit - need to observe and document this year so next year i will remember :-).

Dena
Farmgirl 5620
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  8:03:24 PM  Show Profile
We got seeds and we're ready to plant cold weather stuff and then had 4 inches of snow. It melted but it will be a rainy week. I am jealous of those who have crops already. But our time will come.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden Plans 2017 - Now We Put Our Gardens to Bed Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page