ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  04:22:52 AM  Show Profile
As the growing season winds down, I take time out to take notes of my successes and not to successful experiences each year in my garden. One of my biggest non-successes has been growing thyme. I can get it to come up beautifully from organic seeds, then the entire middle of the plant turns black on me. Same thing with a store bought organic plant.

I've grown it in the ground and since moving to our townhouse 5 years ago in containers. Can anyone tell me why the plant does this? The variety of thyme doesn't seem to matter, it always goes black in the middle. Fortunately I have success with all my other herbs, but fresh thyme, something I use all the time, always winds up needing to be thrown out.

Happy planning for 2018!
Dawn in IL

Life is like a novel, every day is a new page......

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6802 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6802 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  06:02:11 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, I grow thyme in containers too. I don't have the problem you have but my thyme never seems to flourish like basil, rosemary, and oregano does. It grows and I harvest it but it's not as lush as I would like it to be. It survives our winters but I still have to replace the plants every couple of years. I wonder if it's our Texas heat and/or city water.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  06:09:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing Sara. Thyme doesn't survive our Midwestern winters, so I have to start with fresh seeds every spring. It is frustrating for the plants to start out so nicely then before I know it they are all black in the middle. Hopefully someone can give us some ideas on how to get it come in better & stay that way. Buying organic fresh thyme every week at the grocery store is pricey and I prefer fresh picked anyway.

Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  08:10:02 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, I once had a clump of thyme that I had for about two or three years. I want to say it was lemon thyme, perhaps? Let me tell you how it was planted, maybe this will help.

It was in a raised area of the garden; really, a big mound of nice composted soil that I got from a place who specializes in turning sewer sludge (ew) and wood chips into soil. The base of this is sand, because that's what I'm on. So lots of drainage. Once it was established, I only very occasionally watered it. Yes, I suppose you could say I kinda ignored it! I would say that it grew to be around 3 foot in diameter? It was big! As far as sun, it would have gotten full sun until around noon or so and then partial shade.

Since then, I have tried (unsuccessfully) a few more clumps of thyme. Last time it was so-called "creeping thyme" and I tried to plant it in a front bed of mine. Honestly, it likely died due to neglect! I was really busy last year and probably just never watered it. I will try again and let you know what happens! I forget about having thyme and I just so happen to be heading to town today, so thanks for the reminder :D

Oh, and it sounds almost like it is getting too much water if it is turning black? This happens with my African violets if they are left too wet for too long; total plant collapse.

Here's an article I found, too: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/thyme-plants-turn-brown-center-96930.html

a

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  12:28:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, sand is something I haven't tried putting in the pot yet. I use a organic potting soil and while the rest of my herbs thrive the thyme always turns black. I'm not sure if overwatering is the reason since the black middle is dry, not slimy. I am a stubborn gardener though and next spring will try mixing sand in my container and putting it in a different spot.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  6:03:56 PM  Show Profile
I am stubborn, too. I think that is needed for gardening! :D

I didn't find any thyme today at Lowe's, but I DID get a flat of violas and one of pansies. They were on clearance for $1/each! I also got some French marigolds in lovely autumn colors and asters for $3/ea on sale. Gotta love plants on clearance! :D

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic About Thyme Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page