Page: of 5

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2016 :  10:55:38 AM  Show Profile
Sara: pets sure do know how to comfort us! Hugs to Annie.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2016 :  11:23:13 AM  Show Profile
Marly, Annie is a joy and she gets plenty of hugs.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2016 :  08:25:57 AM  Show Profile
When Annie is outside running up and down the back fence with her doggy pals she doesn't hear me when I call her to come in. But if I am dressed to leave the house in jeans with make-up on instead of my stay at home maxi dresses and no make-up she comes running all excited. Does she know the difference in how I am dressed or does she smell the make-up and hairspray?

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2016 :  11:25:48 AM  Show Profile
I believe she knows the difference. Humans give off subtle odors that dogs can smell and make connections to them. And the make up has a totally different smell and meaning for her.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2016 :  11:39:10 AM  Show Profile
Marie, I believe you are right. She senses a difference.

I left her alone for a couple hours while my sisters and I went to Olive Paris and lunch. Annie did just fine. When I returned she was in her bed and the house was still intact.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2016 :  11:02:26 AM  Show Profile
Annie and the buzzard. The other day a buzzard was cleaning up what was left of a squirrel that was hit by a car. It was right in front of my bedroom window so Annie got a good look at it. She barked at it and seem to be telling the buzzard it didn't belong on her street.

To be right in the middle of town there seems to be a lot of wildlife. So far Annie has killed a baby opossum, a baby copperhead and now seen a buzzard. Makes me wonder what else prowls around that I never see or hear.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2016 :  09:58:08 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I have also looked into making my own toys because they can become expensive and sometimes those tug a war toys make a mess when shredded. If you have an old shirt cut it into strips and braid it yourself with knots at each end. They seem to hold up a bit longer! And you can end up with a few different ones from just one shirt.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2016 :  11:43:34 AM  Show Profile
Krista, I'll go through my rag basket and see what I can come up with for a toy. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure Annie will survive her puppyhood in one piece I am starting to wonder about me. She plays along the back fence with the dog behind me. A little Min-Pin named Houdini. He was re-named that because he escapes all the time. Today he escaped into my backyard to play with Annie. Don't know which one dug the hole or it was a joined effort from both sides of the fence.

Long story short I fell while trying to get Annie into the house. Only two bloody knees to show for it because Annie got away. I finally got her into the house and by that time Houdini had gone under my fence gate and was roaming the streets. He did eventually show up at his house so he is back in his yard.

I must say when they were playing together Annie was careful with Houdini and he loved taking turns chasing each other. It's been months since Annie actually played with another dog so I'm happy she remembers how to play.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2016 :  11:46:08 AM  Show Profile
I was hanging a curtain rod in my bedroom which looks out on the front porch close to the front door. As I was hammering away the postman knocked on the door and I answered it and Annie went out the door. Running like the wind she headed down the sidewalk with the postman and me after her. She ended up in the vacant lot at the end of my street and got stickers in her right front and back paws. The postman held her collar while I took the stickers out. After that little adventure with stickers she was glad to go home.

Eric, the postman, told me "that just days ago he heard someone making a noise and it turned out to be a elderly woman had had a heart attack". He called 911 and she was taken to the hospital. He has always been my favorite postman and after today he is my hero.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2016 :  06:39:52 AM  Show Profile
Annie learned a new trick today and I'm surprised it's taking her so long. She has never showed any interest in getting on my bed. She has always just put her front paws on it to either tell me goodnight or wake me up.

My bed is old - late 1800s - 9"off floor with wood head, foot, and side boards. This morning while I was making my bed Annie jump up on the foot board and before she or I knew it she was on the bed. She just laid there without moving with a shocked look on her face - yes us puppy mama's can see expressions on their faces. After she got over the surprise it became a game with her to jump off and climb back on. I have mixed emotions about her being on my bed. I'll have to wait and see how she does.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  05:21:10 AM  Show Profile
Day is just breaking and a bird is singing, in the big oak tree, outside my window. I'm pretty sure it's a cardinal but mockingbirds do a good imitation of cardinals. Annie is on the end of the printer table looking out the window and listening too. How do I know she is listening? Her ears are the stand up kind and they move in the direction of a sound. They're like little antennas and this morning they were honed in on the song of a cardinal.

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  07:05:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sara
I was reading through the threads and had to smile. My Shylo cost me some money too when she was a puppy. I had just got back a pair of sandals from the cobbler that she chewed on. Hadn't had them home a day before she completely destroyed them. THEN, she chewed up the arm of my couch. I told my coworkers about it and one spouted off I would take that dog back to the pound if I were you. I had to sass back with "so if your son broke one of your expensive dishes you would take him back to the hospital? I wasn't happy she ate the couch but she wasn't going to loose her home over it. Attached is the culprit in front of her work. Had to cover it with a blanket to keep her from eating it more.

TW

The fun begins where the pavement ends!
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  07:24:12 AM  Show Profile
An extra note most all our furniture is vintage Craig's list or local eBay. Found a new preowned couch and love seat for under 200. She must have selective taste because she never chewed on the replacement.

TW

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  09:02:19 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, I smiled when you said you covered your sofa with a blanket to keep Shylo from eating it. Annie would just eat the blanket - she loves quilts - she has chewed on one of my garage sale quilts.

Shylo has Annie's ears. Don't you just love watching her ears. When Annie is in her protection mold her ears lay back against her head - when she is listening they move to the sound. Right now Annie is laying by mine chair, sleeping, but at any given moment she is alert, listening to sounds I can't hear, and running from window to window. That's one reason I have her - to hear what I cannot - and to protect me.

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  09:56:59 AM  Show Profile
Sara
Can't imagine being without a dog. I love to take walks but years ago I was walking in a rural area near my home. There were some guys, kids whatever off in the distance that started following me and yelling taunts. Not longer after we got a dog and not a little one. I grew up with small dogs and loved them. Was a little afraid of big dogs but Hubby wanted a big dog. He came home with a Lab puppy and we named him Woody. After getting Woody I never felt unsafe again when walking in the wilderness. Shylo is our 6th dog. She is totally Mommy's girl. Loves the beach and exploring the woods with me. She always alerts me when someone is at the door and keeps me company when Daddy isn't home. I could keep going on but I know you know.

TW

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  08:02:08 AM  Show Profile
Annie's first snow. Big flakes are coming down and she's running around the backyard paying no mind to the cold. I only let her stay out for 10-15 minutes at a time. When she comes in she goes from window to window watching it snow.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  12:48:56 PM  Show Profile
Today has been a challenge for me. The big dogs in the yard behind my neighbor's yard have been barking and Annie wants to go outside to see what it is all about. One of the dogs bit my neighbor on the arm which required 32 stitches. As far as I know the dogs have never climbed their fence but there's always the first time.

You should hear Annie wail to go outside when the dogs are barking. It's not howling - the closest thing I can come up with is caterwauling. You never heard such carrying on. To keep her satisfied I even put a sheet on the floor next to my computer table so she could have her lg raw rib bone inside. Any other day she only has her bones outside.

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  7:52:16 PM  Show Profile
Poor little big girl.

Hi Sara:
Funny how dogs have their unique ways of coomunicating. Each of my dogs had their own howls. Shylo sorta crows like a rooster when she is informing us she is displeased or that we are stop immediately and tend to her needs.

TW

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  03:43:17 AM  Show Profile
Annie got up with me at 4a.m. and by five she wanted to play keep away. It's her favorite indoor game. She gets one of her rawhide chew toys and runs with it and I am supposed to chase her. So round and round the house we go until I've had enough and she knows the games over. As I was chasing her I was thinking - is she going to be a puppy forever?

She goes to the vet this month for her Bordetella shot so I will find out how much she weighs. I'm guessing somewhere around 60lbs.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  05:02:32 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday afternoon Grand puppy came to our house to visit. He was alone. I walked him home, where we found his mama(oldest grand daughter) watering horses. Grand puppy is a blue eyed gray Pit. Our border collie growls at him. Later, when we were unloading the months 450# of chicken feed and scratch, he was back again. He chased some roosters, and I yelled at him. So we walked again, this time finding his mama feeding horses for her dad. He is getting more playful, running, jumping, etc. Only problem is he continually cuts in front of me as we walk. Funny thing is baby calf still recognizes my voice. As I called Shadow...to come on over here, baby calf began to talk to me. It was last summer when I fed him the bottle of milk every day for two months, but he has not forgotten me.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  05:11:54 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, Grand puppy knows where to come for attention. It's sweet the calf remembers you.

Annie has learned to watch where I am stepping. On days I have balance problems she either gives me a wide berth or walks at my side and lets me hold on to her.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2017 :  4:42:50 PM  Show Profile
I love how our dogs can be so attentive to us and helpful. They can be such a wonderful and peaceful presence in our homes!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2017 :  05:37:11 AM  Show Profile
Annie went outside this morning as the crackles flew in and covered all the trees. They didn't faze her but when someone shot off a bb or pellet gun to scare them off that sent Annie back into the house and she won't go out. Reminded me of that scene in Steel Magnolias when Sally Field's husband shot at the birds.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2017 :  05:01:00 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday Annie got her first squirrel. Can't say I am sorry because they dig in my herb containers and I don't like any kind of rodent around my food. I had to trade Annie a chicken tender for the dead squirrel so she would let go of it. Must say disposing of her kills is not any fun.

This morning when I put her out the first thing she did was to sniff the air. Something must have been on the deck during the night because she caught a scent and was off hunting.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2017 :  11:08:03 AM  Show Profile
Annie is protecting her "mom's" yard!! LOL!! My kitty will sometimes catch a bird and I hate that he kills them. But what is worse are moles that he sneaks inside with and them drops them and they disappear!! What a goose chase it is to capture them before the get into a place where they die and then stink up the house. Cats are so very sneaky about hunting!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Annie Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page