YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2017 :  12:07:12 PM  Show Profile
Deborah you are so right about pets sensing things.

Winnie I think your mole story beats my squirrel one.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

DoeDear
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Dorothy
St. Louis Missouri
USA
12 Posts

Posted - May 29 2017 :  08:15:08 AM  Show Profile
I've really enjoyed reading theAnnie stories and everyone else's comments! How is Annie lately?

"The sun was rising behind her now; she could feel the heat on her back, and it gave her courage." William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - May 29 2017 :  08:50:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi Dorothy, thanks for asking about my Annie. Haven't had much to write about lately - she's just been doing doggy things and patrolling her backyard.

But yesterday she was up to her hunting ways. I noticed she was barking at a little iron box I have on the second shelf of a plant stand on the deck. It had badly rusted and had a hole in one end but the lid would open. I raised the lid and saw a wee bird's nest with the tiniest eggs I have ever seen. Before I could shut the lid Annie bit two of the eggs. This morning all the eggs were gone but one.

Annie hasn't forgotten the nest - she checks the box out every time she is on the deck. I have a very small backyard but Annie seems to find things to hunt. I just wish she would leave birds and their nests alone.

Edited by - YellowRose on May 29 2017 08:52:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

DoeDear
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Dorothy
St. Louis Missouri
USA
12 Posts

Posted - May 29 2017 :  11:38:26 AM  Show Profile
I know- as sweet as they can be they still get up to those wild ways! My dog Addie is a chihuahua-dachshund-terrier. She's a Katrina rescue from when I did volunteer work in Biloxi after the storm. She's still got spunk but I can tell her age is catching up with her.

"The sun was rising behind her now; she could feel the heat on her back, and it gave her courage." William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - May 29 2017 :  1:01:51 PM  Show Profile
Addie has quite a history. I'm glad you rescued her and she has a good home. It is sad when our companions start to show their age. I think that's why they have such a hold on us because we know we have them only for a short time compare to the years we live.

Annie's sitting on one end of the printer bench, by my computer as I write looking out the window. She's quiet so that means the squirrels must be napping cause they are usually active when Annie's inside. Spoke too soon - she has spotted one - I better let her outside so she can get her exercise. Hunting squirrel is one of her favorite things.

Edited by - YellowRose on May 29 2017 1:02:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2017 :  04:56:03 AM  Show Profile
Last night around 9 o'clock Annie found a new critter to hunt - a frog/toad - it was dark and I couldn't see it well enough to be sure what it was. It was trying to make it's getaway under the gate in front of my Yellow Rose Cottage and Annie was doing her best to keep it from making it to safety. I got Annie's attention and when she took her eyes off the frog/toad it made it's move and went under the gate to safety. Annie doesn't know how lucky she is by not getting a mouth full of frog/toad.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2017 :  10:27:39 AM  Show Profile
Silly mischievous Annie! Glad to hear the frog/toad got away. I bet Annie wouldn't have liked the taste very much. I wish I had as much energy as her!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2017 :  10:50:26 AM  Show Profile
So do I Krista. She's almost a year and half old and when she gets excited and wants me to play with her she still jumps a couple of feet straight up - over and over again. Just like a pogo stick - up & down.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2017 :  07:01:34 AM  Show Profile
Been awhile since I posted about my Annie. One day runs into another and she does her doggy things.

Last night she woke me about 1 a.m. barking at the top of her lungs. You that kind of bark that alerts you something is out there. And it was. A young opossum on the front porch. I knew if I didn't shoo him off I wouldn't get any sleep. So I did but it would be hours before Annie settled down. She would get on the bed and then off to go hunting through the house looking out each window trying to find that opossum.

Last year she killed a baby opossum in the back yard so she has crossed paths with one before. Glad this one wasn't in the back yard with Annie because it had big sharp claws and was large enough to hurt her. Opossums will play dead - I have seen them do it - but they will also fight if cornered and can do damage with their teeth and claws.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2017 :  10:57:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad it was only a opossum. Annie is a wonderful protecting dog. Good thing she is there to keep you safe from all the critters in the night!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2017 :  12:44:35 PM  Show Profile
Yay for Annie!! She is doing a great job at protecting you and your property.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

1Anne
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Anne
Lebanon CT
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2017 :  08:05:05 AM  Show Profile
Sara, happy to hear that your Annie brings you so much joy and comfort. I love that she is a rescue - it's always a two-way street with rescues, isn't it!! I'll pray for you and your health. You have a remarkable spirit, the farmgirl spirit, that keeps going and keeps fighting despite the odds. Oh, and I love your pup's name!! LOL :-) Anne AKA Annie !!!

Yes, in God I trust.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2017 :  08:10:39 AM  Show Profile
Anne thank you for your sweet words of support and praise for my Annie.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2017 :  09:59:45 AM  Show Profile
Annie had a little adventure today - she went to the vet for yearly checkup and rabies shot. She behaved herself until a young woman came to the door to usher us into the examination room. Annie started barking and stood between me and the woman. I explained she is protective of me. So they took her back without me and she settled down. After the shot and exam she came out just as nice as you please.

What surprised me was all the time the most beautiful cat was sprawl out on the counter and Annie paid him no mind. She knew Cool Cat (that's his name) was there but it didn't bother her. At home she goes wild every time she sees a cat. Cool Cat was gold and white spotted long haired cat with his tail done in pom poms. Haven't seen that before. I wanted to scoop him up and take him home with us.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2018 :  05:18:50 AM  Show Profile
Annie turns two sometime this month. Since she was a rescue dog and three months old when we found each other I don't know her exact birthday. So she is celebrating all month long with extra treats. Annie especially likes the sauté chicken livers and hearts.

I'm still not sure what breed she is. On the animal shelter's papers she should be English Mastiff Golden Lab mix. But the vet and I think she is German shepherd Rhodesian Ridge Back Hound mix. Whatever she is she is the sweetest companion and fierce protector any woman living alone would want. She does look fierce when some strange man comes near her fence. Her ears go back flat against her head and the black ridge along her backbone stands up and really shows next to her golden hair.

It's been in the teens and twenties here for almost a week so Annie doesn't stay out very long at a time. After she has been outside she loves to crawl into my lap all sixty pounds of her. She doesn't know she really isn't a lap dog but who am I to tell her different.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2018 :  07:12:55 AM  Show Profile
We are in Florida right now and left Mitzi with a dog sitter. He is a good guy who lives in a neighborhood which Mitzi likes. He always has other dogs around. We go home today and I believe that Mitzi thinks we have abandoned her. We will pick her up tomorrow morning because we are getting in rather late. I miss her so much.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2018 :  07:19:31 AM  Show Profile
Marie, once Mitzi is home she will give you her unconditional love and all will be forgiven.

Annie plays with the two little dogs in the yard behind me. They run up and down the fence. It's good exercise for all of them. Annie likes stalking and chasing squirrels too.

Go to Top of Page

Bluedog355
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Diana
Alstead New Hampshire
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2018 :  7:39:12 PM  Show Profile
Happy Belated birthday Annie! Our 60# Lola would get in our laps also. This was a nice thread to come across :)

Diana Farmgirl Sister #6578
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2018 :  9:27:44 PM  Show Profile
Annie and I thank you Diana for your good wishes.

The house next to me is a rent house and work is being done on it before leased again. The young man told me I had a good watch dog. Music to my ears when I hear she's protecting her backyard.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - May 04 2018 :  05:40:44 AM  Show Profile
This morning Annie alerted me to something moving through the large oak tree in my back yard. She was acting differently than she does when it's a squirrel. Finally I saw wings than two ducks flew to my neighbor's roof. They sat up there for a while as in the distance I heard other ducks calling and the two ducks answering. Then they flew off in the direction of the calls and they were gone. Good way to start my day - ducks in my backyard.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - May 06 2018 :  1:00:33 PM  Show Profile
Sara,
Annie is a wonderful watch dog. Sounds like she will always be a great companion too! Do you have any pictures of her to post here?

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007
FGOTM~7/2013
"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - May 06 2018 :  1:20:45 PM  Show Profile
Denise, I don't post pictures. Thanks for your sweet words about Annie. She weighs over 60lbs, is golden with 4 white feet and under belly. Black markings on head, standup ears, and when she is in protecting mold her hair along her spine stands up and is black. She is quite impressive looking when her ears go back flat against her head and her hair stands up. I wouldn't want to mess with her when she means business. She's a rescue and the best her vet and I can figure out she's German Shepard-Rhodesian Ridgeback Hound mix. She's a great companion, good watchdog, and loves to hunt.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - May 06 2018 :  1:55:06 PM  Show Profile
Does she catch anything Sara?

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007
FGOTM~7/2013
"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - May 06 2018 :  2:19:14 PM  Show Profile
Denise, Annie was two sometime in Jan. In her short life and in my little backyard she has caught and killed a squirrel, baby opossum, several birds, and baby copperhead snake. She will lay in wait for squirrels all day long. She's a hunter so it's her natural to do so and it doesn't bother me except for the birds. I wish she would leave them along. She has a keen sense of hearing and smell which is good because she hears things I don't.

Annie was my second choice the day I went to the animal shelter. I chose a golden lab and English Mastiff mix but when I got up to pay out I was told the director of the shelter had spoken for that dog. I went back to the cages of dogs and Annie caught my eye and she went home with me. I had prayed for the dog I needed and my prayer was answer. She wasn't the one I wanted but the one I am so happy I got. Can't imagine my life without her - my dear sweet companion and protector. Last summer when my son passed away she would crawl up in my lap and stay there as I cried. All 60 lbs of her watched over me and in her own way did her best to comfort me.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - May 06 2018 :  6:12:02 PM  Show Profile
A God send Sara
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Annie Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page