6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2017 :  3:30:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks again Joyce!

Oh good Erin! Hope you enjoy the smell.

How is the end of your summer going. Have your families started school?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2017 :  07:16:01 AM  Show Profile
We are starting next week. It should be interesting since little man doesn't take a morning nap anymore! Hopefully I can get everything done and stay on track like I want to!

Erin
Sister #3762
Farmgirl of the Month ~ March 2016
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2017 :  07:18:35 AM  Show Profile
Erin - I received my pocket letter!! Thank you very very much - I love it!!

Krista - we start Sept.11 as we have company here until next week.

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
FGOTM April 2016
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2017 :  11:13:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh Erin! I feel the pain lol. My oldest is now down to one nap and it makes me want to cry! Good luck with getting everything done and staying on track.

Joyce, that sounds wonderful. Enjoy your company.

We still have two more years before we start preschool, but I know my oldest will love it. He's so smart and loves learning new things. Did you guys start your homeschooling during the preschool years?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2017 :  12:46:20 PM  Show Profile
I started when Kilian (my oldest) had just turned 5. I feel like the younger ones get "preschool" by default most of the time. Connor is only a year and a half younger than Kilian, and they do almost the same curriculum most of the time, with the biggest difference being in math. Noelle will be 6 in December, and this is her first official year of homeschool (although technically for Indiana it isn't required to start school until age 7). She's been reciting poems and chanting definitions, participating in art projects, etc. for the past 2 years though just because her brothers are.

Erin
Sister #3762
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2017 :  4:06:17 PM  Show Profile
Wow that's crazy they don't start school until age 7. I totally get what you mean by them still getting preschool but that would only apply to his siblings. I have noticed just within the last month how much my youngest watches and learns from his brother. I bet they will really enjoy spending their school years learning with each other and learning the same things. It sounds like your kids really enjoy learning together as well.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2017 :  4:16:19 PM  Show Profile
I did start my preschool years with homeschooling. I did love it :) I love it now too - they are going into Grade 6, Grade 4 and my youngest I'm putting in Grade 1 until January, when he will go into Grade 2. His birthday is in November, so he's still 6 and not ready for Grade 2 yet.

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
FGOTM April 2016
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2017 :  09:51:53 AM  Show Profile
That's so awesome Joyce! What sort of curriculum did you do for preschool? I taught Pre-K for 5 years but I am interested in seeing what else is out there.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2017 :  11:27:34 AM  Show Profile
So, in Indiana almost every kid starts kindergarten when they're 5, it just isn't required by law to start school until age 7. Most kids still start before that age. I get what you mean about your oldest and preschool. If you want to do it, go for it! I didn't start until K was 5 because I was working full time until the spring of the year before.

Erin
Sister #3762
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2017 :  4:29:36 PM  Show Profile
I used Heart of Dakota, Krista - which I absolutely love!!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
FGOTM April 2016
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2017 :  12:20:58 PM  Show Profile
That's interesting Erin. I wonder why they would have a law like that. But it sounds like it doesn't make much of a difference if most still start at 5. My biggest concern is he still isn't talking. He's the smartest kid, follows instructions, and can point at or grab anything you tell him to, he just doesn't talk. It gets frustrating because we end up with more tears than anything because we can't understand what he wants. He will do sign language but it only works if I'm looking or if he actually does it. I keep waiting for the one day when he wakes up and starts talking up a storm but I have been waiting for that day for over 6 months now.

Thanks Joyce! I look into that!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2017 :  12:48:58 PM  Show Profile
How old is he Krista? Is your pediatrician or family doctor concerned at all?

Erin
Sister #3762
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2017 :  11:35:52 AM  Show Profile
He is 21 months. My pediatrician started being concerned at 15 months but everyone I talked to said he was fine and will talk when he wants to. He says maybe 15 words where his pediatrician says he should be saying about 100. At 15 months he was only saying mama, dada, and moo. According to the pediatrician animal sounds don't count as words either.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2017 :  1:20:07 PM  Show Profile
Krista - my kids never talked much at all at that age. They sound just like your son - they were always "behind" in talking until about 2 1/2-3 years.

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
FGOTM April 2016
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2017 :  10:30:51 AM  Show Profile
That makes me feel better, Joyce. I think they have so many unrealistic expectations of children nowadays. He is very advanced in his mobile skills and is very smart, just doesn't talk. It shouldn't be looked down upon.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2017 :  08:51:09 AM  Show Profile
My second oldest was kind of like that. He hardly ever talked. That might have been because his big brother was such a yapper though. So much emphasis is placed on these 'milestones' these days. There are so many more for Rory than there were when Kilian was his age. Kids all learn at different stages. I know this isn't the same thing, but I can't tell you how many moms in homeschool meet ups I've been to are so concerned that their kid isn't reading yet (usually boys). Then the veteran moms who have been through it all tell them as long as you're reading to them and working on phonics they'll pick it up and read when they're ready to and not to stress about it. I know that that's true. I've witnessed that with my own boys, and other friends' children. It's not exactly the same thing, but sounds like a similar situation.

Erin
Sister #3762
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2017 :  4:07:18 PM  Show Profile
Totally makes sense. I can actually relate. Before it was ever brought up that he was delayed in speech I never thought about it, but since then I find myself comparing his speech to others his age or younger. I find myself getting sad that someone else's kid who is younger is talking and mines not. When really I should be happy because he's still so smart and will learn eventually. It's just sad the world has created these kinds of feelings and expectations for mothers.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2017 :  11:02:09 AM  Show Profile
With your kids talking later in life, did it seem like they have more temper tantrums than normal because they couldn't communicate? If so, did it stop once they started talking?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2017 :  4:39:48 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmm....I'm not sure what's "more than normal" and I'm also not sure what you mean by "temper tantrums". I don't recall in particular their being temper tantrums. I was quite (ahem) strict with those, so they never got past one, if any. I do remember their being times when we wouldn't go out if there was a behavioural issue - I remember staying home for two weeks until the issue was resolved and I felt confident we could go out in public. It wasn't a tantrum, but it was a learning lesson on dealing with others.I hope that helps.

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
FGOTM April 2016
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  1:04:16 PM  Show Profile
No they are not tantrums in public. It's more like he's whinny. I guess that's a better word to describe it. If he wants something and I don't know what it is he gets whinny. So I always tell him to stop whining and use your words. So I was hoping that once he started talking that would stop. He actually seems better in public and better when others are around. I wonder if it's because he is always home alone with me.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2017 :  11:53:52 AM  Show Profile
Well ladies we finally caved and are meeting with a speech pathologist tomorrow. I'm hoping to get some answers. Apparently it's common for the first born of Irish twins to have a speech delay. Hope we can get things figured out.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2017 :  2:08:54 PM  Show Profile
Keep us updated!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
FGOTM April 2016
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2017 :  12:38:06 PM  Show Profile
Well today's meeting was more about figuring out where he is and where we want to be. We meet with her again next week for her first official meeting with Tilton. He seems to really like her and she was very helpful in making me feel better about the situation. She had a lot of insight and some easy steps for me to follow to help start the process. I'm really hoping for a positive outcome.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2017 :  12:28:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls! Miss chatting with you!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Brosia
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Ambrosia
Massillon Ohio
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2017 :  9:29:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! I'm new here and found this group while browsing around. I'm 30 until the end of the month, so I thought I'd check it out. From what I'be been reading, you all sound like my kind of people.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 36 Gathered Up: Previous Topic 49 and under Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page