Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 September Farmgirl Apple Festival!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic September Farmgirl Apple Festival!! Next Topic
Page: of 11

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  05:51:42 AM  Show Profile
Happy September 1, 2015! If you have not read your September online Sister Issue, today officially starts our Farmgirl Apple Festival here at MaryJanesFarm. The Home office and I have have been planning some fun for all of us to enjoy this month as we ease into the official Fall Season.

Here is what is on our agenda this month that I hope you will enjoy participating in.

1. I will start with an Apple Swap over at the Swaps Link. The theme will be our favorite Apple Pie recipes. If you love to swap, head on over and sign up to share in the fun.

2. There will be two giveaways so look under this link for a chance to sign up. Both giveaways relate to our Farm Kitchens and one will be set for the first part of the month and the second will come in the middle of the month.

3. We have a new APPLE BADGE!! Although it will be officially announced until January 2016, you can get a head-start on working on your badge during our Farmgirl Festival. Keep in mind, however, that Brian won't be able to approve your badge until the official release in January. I plan to work on mine and have it all ready to submit when 2016 rolls around. Check out the requirements in this month's Sister Issue (September) or in Carol's post below for quick reference. Some of the requirements include sharing here with other Farmgirls what you have learned and created.

4. The Grand Finale will be the First Annual Farmgirl Apple Pie Sunday which will be celebrated this year on Sunday September 27, 2015 . Every year hereafter, we will celebrate this new Farmgirl tradition on the last Sunday of September.

We will also close out the day with choosing the winner of our second giveaway.

Time to start planning your favorite Apple Pie and how you want to celebrate this special Farmgirl month long festival here at MJF. I hope you will share your ideas and plans just like we all did for the Farmgirl Jubilee. Remember all the fun we had in May? It was THE BEST!

I can't wait to see what comes out of the creative minds of so many Farmgirls around the world! If you can post photos, please do, but if you cannot, just tell us what you are making and planning.

Happy Apple Pickin, Apple canning, Apple stitchin', Apple baking, Apple eatin', and Apple learnin' this September. It is going to be a fantastic Virtual Apple Festival All Month! Apples are a big part of our American history and food traditions. We are going to have fun learning from each other as we go through the month. So please let us know what apple facts you are learning about in your region, finding in your local grocers and farm stands, and share your information with all of us here. I predict that by the end of this month, we are all going to know more about this simple fruit that we mostly never pay much attention to.

Don't forget: An Apple a Day keeps the Doctor Away!

I bet there will be the most awesome Apple Pies created and enjoyed for our Farmgirl Apple Pie Sunday too! My mouth is already watering!

Let's get started together. I am very excited!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  07:47:30 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like a fun festival, Winnie. Thanks for coming up with this idea.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  08:39:57 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, I'm excited! Now to get busy with my plans for celebrating. Like a new apron with apples on it to wear when I make my first apple pie ever.

Thanks to you & MaryJane for getting it together for us.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  08:40:31 AM  Show Profile
Love love love this!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  10:03:23 AM  Show Profile
The Apples Merit Badge will be officially announced in January, when we roll out new Merit Badges for 2016. But you can get a head-start on your badge during the Farmgirl Apple Festival. (Brian won’t be able to approve your badges until its official release in January.) Happy baking!

Farm Kitchen
15. Apples

Beginner Level

• Look up the history of the apple and how it came to England and then to the American Colonies of Jamestown and Plymouth. (If you live outside of the U.S., then learn about how apples made it to your region of the world.)
• List four ways that apples have been used in everyday living for generations.
• Look up the varieties of apples that are grown in your region of the U.S. List three different varieties in each of the following categories: eating, cooking/canning, cider making. If apples don’t grow in your area (like Florida), use apples that you have access to from the store. The apples must, however, be grown in the U.S. for this project. (If you live outside the U.S., then use the apples from an area that you have access to.)
• Go apple picking if you live in an area where that’s available. If not, try out four apple varieties from the grocery store that are new to you.
• Share at least two new things you have learned with other farmgirls on the Farmgirl Connection Chatroom.

Intermediate Level

• Using MaryJane’s BakeOver technique, create an apple dessert dish. Use MaryJane’s Budget Mix, and include a photo and the recipe of your delicious BakeOver. If you don’t know about BakeOvers, click here, or search the Farmgirl Connection chatroom for “BakeOver” to learn about what others have successfully done. You can also find recipe how-tos in MaryJane’s Ideabook and in the Special Recipe Issue of MaryJanesFarm.
• Learn how to use and make apples in one of the following ways: drying apple slices, making fresh cider, or canning apple-pie filling. (MaryJane offers a delicious apple-pie filling recipe and detailed directions in her Ideabook.)
• Using apples in three separate dishes, create a dinner that features apples. For example, apples in a salad, pan-sautéed apple slices to accompany a meat dish, and an apple-based dessert. The possibilities are endless!

Expert Level
Choose at least one activity to complete and document:

• Organize an apple-themed gathering at your home. Invite friends and family for an old-fashioned apple festival. Include activities for all ages, such as apple picking (if you live near an u-pick orchard), apple cider making, apple bobbing, and a fun apple potluck meal together. Make a simple display of some apples and their uses for people to look at and learn from. Include a simple apple recipe as a party favor for people to take home.
• Plant a few apple trees in your yard if you live in an area where they grow. Learn what varieties will work best, when to plant your new trees, and how to care for them.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  2:21:46 PM  Show Profile
Ohhh, I love the graphic design for the Apple Badge! That is just the cutest ever. Thank-you Carol for helping clarify what the Apple Badge is all about with everyone.

Farmgirls, if you have not joined the Sisterhood, this might be the perfect time so you can earn this badge and proudly display it on a tote or jean jacket. The Sisterhood membership has many wonderful perks, including the great online magazine we get every month!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  2:27:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sara, I think an apple apron will be perfect and I am betting your first apple pie will be easier to make than you ever imagined!! Let us know what you come up with in the apron department. Your darling Farmgirl Jubilee banner was so cute. I "feel "another Sara special tumbling around in your head right now thinking about various possibilities. LOL!!

I hope lots of other Farmgirls will join in here and help us celebrate together this month. The more the merrier, I say!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  3:24:11 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea of an apple apron... Might have to see if I can get one of those made, as I really do not have a Fall apron yet...

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  3:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Sara does come up with neat ideas. I was also thinking of an apron - I bought some apple fabric just the other day.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  5:23:07 PM  Show Profile
Wow! What fun! I would love to embroider the apple badge onto some muslin or twill and make an apron! We don't have apples yet.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  5:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Sylvia -

I want to make the apron now, and we can't get the badge until January. besides, we have to earn it. LOL! I think I can complete the Beginner and Intermediate badges before January. And - I found the apple fabric I knew I had bought, but it isn't as large a piece as I thought, so guess what??? I need to go to a fabric shop. Go figure!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  5:46:21 PM  Show Profile
Love, love love these apple apron ideas! I don't have an apple motif apron either but it would be a cute idea. Last time I was in Joanne fabrics, they didn't have any cute apple fabric at all. I was disappointed! We don't have great selection of fun fabrics in this town. It is all mostly quilting stuff and nothing really nice like Moda fabrics. Maybe MaryJane will create a few apple fabrics one year soon?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  6:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I have an idea for an apple apron - now to put it to fabric. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Edited by - quiltee on Sep 01 2015 6:38:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  6:38:35 PM  Show Profile
Ohhhhh or a produce fabric line!?!?

Fabric.com usually has a pretty good selection of fabrics if you want to order offline... Not that I should be feeding anyone's fabric addictions ;)

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  6:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
There is a produce fabric line out there already, Shannon, but maybe there is a fresh way to present the produce? Let's put on our thinking caps.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  05:27:03 AM  Show Profile
Unless I change my mind ~~ which I am prone to do when creating ~~~ my apron will be out of fall material with a big green apple appliqued on bib with two pockets out of same green material.

I like the look of applique and Granny Smith apples are my favorite. One apple shouldn't be too hard for me to do. The fabric is out on my kitchen table for me to look at for a couple of days to make sure that is what I want to do.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  06:57:27 AM  Show Profile
Where oh where can I find this produce line????

Sara - love your idea! I was trying to figure out if there is a way to make the actual bib look like an apple!?!? Still trying to figure it out...

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  07:11:09 AM  Show Profile
Shannon if anyone can figure it out you can!

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  07:14:03 AM  Show Profile
Just a note here to check out the new post under Farm Kitchen for our first Giveaway!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  11:30:24 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, I am in!!
Linda, an excuse to buy more fabric for another apron.... who needs an excuse, sounds like a plan to me. I appreciate the enablement of my fabric habit!!! Thank you..
Sara your idea for an appliqué for your apron sounds really cute.

Apples apples everywhere!

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  12:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Shannon -

Here you go! I searched on fabric.com for vegetables. You can also search for fruit.

https://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2.aspx?Source=Header&SearchText=vegetables&CategoryID=1d5f47dc-9991-4088-93f3-26a376046a5e

One of the places, anyway.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Edited by - quiltee on Sep 02 2015 12:17:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  12:23:20 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Shannon -

Sure there is - I can help you if you want. I was thinking of making the apron skirt apple shaped. :-)

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  12:28:33 PM  Show Profile
I was hoping MaryJane could put out a produce line is what I was referring to, lol.

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  2:49:02 PM  Show Profile
You know, I've recently resuscitated an apple tree at my farm that's more than 100 years old, planted by the family that homesteaded my place in 1905 and given new life recently during what I'm calling our "major farm remodel" (new sewer/water/electrical lines turned everything upside down). The tree was part of an orchard planted decades ago, swallowed over time by indigenous plum trees that I've recently removed. In order to survive, the tree didn't fill out much, but instead, went straight up looking for sunlight. Also, one of its three main branches goes almost horizontal and then up. Another tree that we've removed was in its way. Let's just say, this particular apple tree is a fighter, a survivor. Since I have no idea what variety it is, I'm going to name it our "Apple Pie Sunday" tree. Because I know your apple-loving hearts also admire it for its foritude and farmgirl grit—just think of the winters, winds, and dry years it has weathered—I'm going to ask my grandgirls to tie a red ribbon around it (you know the song, "tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree...") during our next Young Cultivators meeting and craft some cards using their crayons of THE official MJF "Apple Pie Sunday" tree. I want them to stop and think about how important a fruit tree was to a family back then and how awesome it is that it's still here for us, ready and waiting to help us make several apple pies on the 27th of September, forever forward known as "Apple Pie Sunday." I might add that just this very minute, Ashley handed me a warm piece of mincemeat pie with a pretty little braided crust to eat (we're working on our Dec/Jan issue). Pie. Bring it on!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  2:59:42 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:38:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  5:42:23 PM  Show Profile
Its a beautiful tree. Love the story behind it.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic September Farmgirl Apple Festival!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page