windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2023 :  3:55:57 PM  Show Profile
Sunday I got back at canning, trying to use up potatoes before they spout and go soft. I made loaded baked potato soup. 3 of the 5 jars did seal, so I will freeze the two buggers that did not. But there was left over, we had it for supper and it was pretty good. I did try rebel dry canning potatoes 2 weeks ago, and they turned out ok. We are using them right away as they settle in the jar too much and had alot of air space. My fault I know. They are pretty good fryed up though. I more batch of potatoes that I will chunk up and can with water. Then I will have a box for planting and a drawer full in the fridge.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2023 :  4:14:11 PM  Show Profile
Michelle good to see you canning again because I learn so much from you. Never thought about canning potatoes without water. Like you I think canning with water is best.

Got a question for you. I have pork loin and acorn squash that I hope to can on Wed. Recipe from "our" cookbook. I am thinking about doing one jar with a white dried bean. Will have to figure how much more water the beans will take and how much to reduce the other ingredients. What do you think? Should it work?

The recipe calls for canning time of 90 mins - the same time for dried beans without soaking.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.

Edited by - YellowRose on Jan 30 2023 4:16:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2023 :  03:51:54 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I am guessing that you can in pints? Measure and write down your amounts, if it works or not, and you will know what you did. I looked at the recipe and she adds everything together, and boils for 5 min. There is a recipe for pork and black beans, or the white bean and potroast one that you can kind of use as a guide too. She calls for two and half cups of dry beans to make like 16 pints on one recipe. or if your not sure, add the beans when warming up the stew. If your just adding to jars, then cut back on the meat and squash and add maybe a table spoon or two of the beans. About as much as you would want for a meal or two. Sending good canning vibes.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2023 :  06:35:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Michelle, when I am prepping today, I will get a better feel on what to do. A tablespoon of beans is a good idea - thanks.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2023 :  12:17:43 PM  Show Profile
Canned 7 pints of the pork & acorn squash stew today. I substituted poblano peppers for the pepper called for in the recipe. I did not add dried beans because I didn't want to mess with all the measuring I would have to do. Still want to try it but today wasn't the day. Happy to say they all sealed.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2023 :  03:07:51 AM  Show Profile
Sara nice when all the jars seal. I hope you enjoy your meals in a jar. I hope to go through my freezers and organize and see what I have and what can be canned. I have extra cranberries that I should can into cranberry gel. I love that stuff.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2023 :  03:50:49 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever canned their own cranberry sauce using the whole berry? I make my own in small batches when we have it but it would be nice to can it ahead of time to have ready.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2023 :  05:23:48 AM  Show Profile
I've never canned cranberries but would like too. At Christmas and Thanksgiving fresh cranberries are in the stores here. Next year I will have to give it a try and will need hints on how to do it from Michelle.

Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1419 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1419 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2023 :  6:57:06 PM  Show Profile
My hubby and I made cranberry juice with fresh berries this fall. It’s so amazingly delicious!! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2023 :  03:20:31 AM  Show Profile
The cranberry recipe I use is in the ball canning book. The whole berry sauce I believe. But then you cook it down a bit further to get almost to gelling, like for jam or jelly. I don't want it that thick, but I want it thicker then the sauce. And if you don't get it thick enough when you can it, you cook it down a bit further on the stove before serving. Cranberries are full of their own pectin so it is very easy. Hope that helps. I want to try dehydrating them too. I found that you are supposed to soak in a sugar syrup, or orange juice, and then dry them. I buy the dehydrated ones from the marsh we go to, and they are orange flavored and oh so good. You have to make sure the skins are popped before drying too. I make juice also. Very simple and good.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2023 :  02:37:54 AM  Show Profile
I finished canning up 10 quarts of potatoes, just into chunks. In between, I did 7 pints of cranberry sauce, and I have 2 trays of cranberries dehydrating. Fingers crossed they turn out good.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2023 :  06:12:25 AM  Show Profile
Wow Michele! Great job on finishing off all those potatoes of yours. I bet everything will be delicious. Can't wait to hear how the cranberries taste when you use them.

Dawn in IL

The fireside is the tulip bed of a winter day.
(Persian Proverb)
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2023 :  08:13:01 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, great job!!!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2023 :  03:25:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls. Last night my husband helped me clean out, organize the vegetable freezer as I call it. Got quite a few bags of chicken backs. So will get out a bunch and cook up some stock to be canned. Will give half of them to my ma to cook too. Nice to pull everything out, defrost the freezer and know what is going back in. Only got rid of a couple of old bags of beans and apples. So that was pretty good. Next up the meat freezer. The cranberries were mostly done last night. They are ok, but if you want yummy tasting dried cranberries stick to buying them I guess. These are a bit tart yet, and I could not taste any orange flavor. But you don't know if you don't try.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2023 :  06:00:38 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, you keep surprising me on how much you do.

Today's plan is to put up 7 pints King City Pink beans with peppered salt pork.

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2023 :  06:33:07 AM  Show Profile
Hay there. Ya'll are such an inspiration. I worked along side my Mother and Grandmothers for years canning and freezing all sorts of things. I have a full freezer with mostly meats. I intend to work thru all of it and freeze any leftovers. Spring I will begin canning ALL of my foods....not freezing anything but already prepared foods/meals. My store bought potatoes have begun to sprout. I only have 4 left and want to use them for my garden this year. Blackberries will probably be first things gathered and canned/preserved this year. I don't have a cellar so will be looking for ways to store items in other ways. I've been gathering lids and rings and jars when money is available. I love learning from all of you and have a few cookbooks that target preservation techniques. Thanks for all these nuggets of wisdom.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2023 :  07:29:18 AM  Show Profile
Daizy, I know what you mean about gathering up lids. They have gotten so expensive, but I stick with Ball & Kerr. I have tried other brands but was disappointed with the results.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2023 :  10:45:56 AM  Show Profile
Doing the happy canning dance, all 7 jars sealed.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2023 :  12:51:52 PM  Show Profile
Hanks for the information on the cranberries!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2023 :  3:56:51 PM  Show Profile
Happy happy happy Dance Sara. way to go. Daizy, good luck in your canning adventure. Denise hope you try canning cranberries. We get ours right from the marsh so that makes it extra special.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2023 :  12:42:29 PM  Show Profile
I have run out of room in my kitchen pantry for any more jars of what I can. Tomorrow a handyman will put up shelves in a small closet in my bedroom that I use for storage. With the extra shelves I can keep on canning those heirloom beans and meals in a jar that I like to have on hand.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2023 :  03:32:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, seems everyone I know is expanding on their canning. Sara, I hope you have plenty of room now for jars and of course jar lids!! My rings I have on bungee cords hanging off my canning shelves. I will be pulling out those chicken backs this morning. Cook them tonight and can tomorrow morning. My ma came up with the best name for my
electric canner....Mr. Wonderful....... lol This week I did reorganize the canning shelves a never ending job. Got one shelf + of empty jars now.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2023 :  05:23:40 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, great idea on hanging your rings. I have enough rings to can with in Ziplock bags in a basket on the shelve under the little table where my electric canner sits. Most of my rings are out in my Yellow Rose Cottage in another basket. What would a Farmgirl do without her baskets?

"Mr Wonderful" is a great name for our electric canners.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2023 :  03:10:47 AM  Show Profile
Yes baskets are a good thing. I use them all the time too. Stock is ready to strain and can this morning. Once I get myself up and moving. Coffee is coming first.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2023 :  06:26:40 AM  Show Profile
Yes, coffee first by all means though in my case it's either a cup of hot tea or 7 oz coke. Sometimes I just have to have a wee can of coke.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page