Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2020 :  9:05:31 PM  Show Profile
Chunked canned pumpkin: Heaven in a jar!!! YAY! Dontcha just love pumpkin season?!

Kathy - Just want to let you know, yes, you can use jack o'lantern pumpkins just like the others, but they may be more stringy. Whenever I've used them in the past, I just make sure to go through them really well with a stick blender before using them in my recipes. They're delish!

Michele! I love that idea!!! I have four big bags of cranberries in the freezer from last year - still good! Maybe I'll give that a whirl! Just love cranberry anything!!!

Marilyn! I am so jealous in a very good happy way for you! We had an apple tree in our front yard and crazy people of all ages walking up and down the street would pick the apples green, well before they were ripe, before we could even get to them! SO sad! Your applesauce sounds heavenly!

You girls are going to laugh. I've canned so much this year, I just don't have a place to store anything! Our son recently moved out, so in desperation, we took everything up to his room, laid the boxes of jars on the floor and created "shopping aisle" paths between them so we could maneuver and find whatever we need. I REALLY need to come up with better storage...shelving, cabinets, you name it. Any suggestions?

Have any of you re-canned ketchup or dill pickle slices or any other high-acid foods from the grocery store? I am just wondering what kind of success you've had. I have a few big tubs of ketchup and a huge jar of some favorite pickles that I would like to break down into pints for practicality. I just don't like the tubs and jars taking up all that room in our fridge; but it sure is more economical for us to buy things in bulk when I don't have time to make our own.

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2020 :  03:27:18 AM  Show Profile
This year I purchased restaurant shelving for my canning. I love it. 800 pounds per shelf, did the math and those jars add up to quite alot of weight, but not near 800 pounds. Mine happens to be coated shelving, but either way it is wonderful. You can adjust the heights and how many shelves you would like. I have 7 shelves 23x48. I will add a picture from my phone.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2020 :  09:28:29 AM  Show Profile
I'm back in the dried bean canning business. Ordered 2 lbs each of large white limas and baby green limas off Amazon. Hope to put them up next week.

Sara - FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2020 :  2:37:38 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I also feel your pain! The tree right next to my apple tree is an Asian Pear tree. A few weeks ago it too was loaded with fruit. I tasted one and decided the fruit should stay on the tree for a few more days to ripen to perfection. When I went back several days later EVERY SINGLE pear was gone! So I got busy and picked my apples to be sure I got to keep them for myself even though they could have stayed on the tree a bit longer. My fruit trees are planted in the field at my shop property so there's nobody there unless we are there working. I'd like to think it was homeless people in the area who took them for food, but the fact that every fruit was gone and a few other signs left me feeling like whoever took them knew what they were doing and was probably doing it for profit. Stinkers either way! If they had asked first I would have shared because there were more than I needed.

I think I'm going to try Michelle's cranberry sauce idea....I love it through the year but I don't need a whole bag's worth at a time and sometimes we can't get fresh cranberries in the offseason. So putting it in smaller jars is a really good idea!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2020 :  10:20:22 AM  Show Profile
Have both cranberry jellied sauce and cranberry orange jam to do. Dying to spread some jam on newly baked sourdough bread!!

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Back Door Farm Girls Chapter
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thecopperedsea
http://vintagegathering.blogspot.com
Love The People God Gave You Because He Will Need Them Back Someday.
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2020 :  5:56:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nini. I haven't done it but I hear that re-canning pickles turns them to mush. I make my own ketchup and am not sure about re-canning store bought. If you make your own you water bath. I would think if the acid level is good you should be fine. I'm a bit of a paranoid canner so for myself I would just keep the giant ketchup bottle in the fridge.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2020 :  07:15:49 AM  Show Profile
Had to go to plan B for the pumpkins. After putting up four pints MS fatigued dropped on me. The next day the fatigue was still heavy so I knew I wouldn't be able to can so I finished cooking the pumpkins until they were tender. Put in fridge and next day I put pumpkin through sieve and flash froze it in one cup portions. I ended up with 8 cups of pumpkin in the freezer and gave one cup to sister for pie.

On-line I found a recipe for pumpkin gnocchi so all is well in my kitchen and I'm looking forward to making it. The fatigue will pass and I will have good mornings to can more dried beans and make gnocchi.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2020 :  5:16:50 PM  Show Profile
I hope your feeling better Sara. You still got alot done by freezing pumpkins. I will be canning cranberry juice this weekend. I do so want to get busy freezing french fries and hashbrowns. I don't have enough jars to try canning. Maybe later this winter.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2020 :  10:55:39 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the recommendation, Michele! AWESOME!

Oh, Marilyn! I'm with ya! Eyes closed, head down and shaking... Why? But you're SUCH a goodhearted soul! You're right - it was probably someone in need, even if it was done for profit. What if they needed the money for insulin or heart medication or something like a car battery, you know? It is NOT right to steal, but the Lord knows why they were taken. He will take care of you.. AND them.. God bless you!

Sylvia! Cranberry orange JAM?! OH MY!!!!! Are you able to share the recipe?! I mean: YUM!!!

Andrea... I've heard that too about the pickles becoming mushy. Info I've found said just to reheat it to boiling and can for the regular amount as if you're starting with fresh cucumbers. I'm SO on the fence about it. I don't want them turning to mushy dill relish! LOL! Yuck! I guess we'll have to see what kind of space we have in the fridge when we open the jar. I have made homemade ketchup and I really like it and vowed never to buy it again, but I got really behind this summer and had to buy some ('Never even got close to making pickles, either! UGH!). When our son was at home, those big tubs would go really quickly, but now that it's just my hubby and me, not so much. I was thinking of putting it in smaller jars just for convenience, but I hear you. Everything I've read says that it becomes darker, but it's still tasty... I dunno... Guess maybe I could make some of it into barbecue sauce and use it for salad dressings... Thank you so much for your insight!!!

Sara - I am so, so sorry you suffer with MS. The setbacks can be so frustrating. But I just love your positive outlook and how you don't let it break your stride! Awesome! You sure got busy with that pumpkin, sister! WOW! KUDOS!!! I hope the fatigue does pass quickly! I bet your gnocchi and beans are going to be GREAT!!! God bless you!

Michele, other than one more small project, I think I might take a little break, too. Thankfully, I do still have jars, and I'm sure I'll probably change my mind in a few weeks because I really love canning... LOL... BUT, I'm just so wanting to find a little peace now and just enjoy the holidays.

I'm so grateful to have been able to put up the good things I did this year, aren't you all? It's so satisfying to know I can just pull down whatever I need for a meal or treat when company stops by. Yesterday I sat down to make my Thanksgiving menu and jot down my grocery list. I had to stop and take pause when I realized: I don't need anything! It's all here! If it's not on my shelves, it's in the freezer; if I don't have it, if I run out of something or if I burn the bird (Heaven forbid!), I can definitely make do. And my prep time will be cut considerably because everything has already been peeled and chopped and is ready to go! Even my seasonings mixes are prepared and at the ready! Making our holiday dinner will be so much easier for me this year, and I will have more time to spend with my family! I'm so happy! Now THAT'S cause for thanksgiving, to be sure!

Hugs and love -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2020 :  05:55:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Michelle and Nini for the well wishes. The fatigue is lingering so I hope to finish my wool applique project. For you who are canning; freezing; or drying - happy putting up and storing by.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2020 :  02:33:19 AM  Show Profile
Canned up 14 quarts of Cranberry juice yesterday. I did have to buy a flat of jars, but that is ok. Simple and quick. I need both simple and quick. lol

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2020 :  06:09:09 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, 14 qts, well done! I'm with you 'simple and quick'; may I add 'easy does it'.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2020 :  03:02:17 AM  Show Profile
6 pints of cranberry sauce yesterday. I could not remember how I did it a few years ago. I ended up with sauce, not jelled. I think when I open a jar I will cook it down to jelling point. I like it thicker. Will write down in the book which recipe I want to use next time. Or I have more cranberries left, I could open the jars and redo them. Will see. Funny story, I had the jar box sitting on my counter and I was looking at the side. Gives you directions of sort. It says to use tested recipes for canning and use the Ball canning book for processing times. This was a box of Kerr jars. Thought that was a bit funny!!! Shows that no matter what the brand the Ball canning book is a good one.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2020 :  05:40:45 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, I think they are now owned by the same company. I prefer Kerr jars but they are hard to find. I have a few Kerr jars but haven't seen them in stores around here in years.

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2020 :  2:54:21 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies :)

Wow, you all have been so busy!!! Forgive me for not remembering everyone's accomplishments.

Well, hunting season was successful for my husband, he got 2 deer and a bear. I didn't see either so my season was a bust (with the exception of 2 turkeys earlier). That's okay because we had ordered 1/4 cow before we knew there was a chance for a successful hunt. I am going to be canning some Venison and we took out 5 gallons of Apple Cider from the freezer which I will be canning tomorrow and actually saving one for Mulled Cider for Thanksgiving.

In making room I found more Tart Pie Cherries so I canned 4 more quarts of pie filling and I took the leftover juices and added some sugar and lime juice and canned 2 quarts of that for a juice concentrate. Which is actually really good with some hot water added to it :) I also found more cranberries and made some more juice. That had come in very handy in being ill. Thanks for the tip Michele, good to know the easier version works best :)

My honey and I both had covid and am trying to bounce back. The one thing we still deal with (4 weeks later) is fatigue. I can wash dishes and then need a nap. Today I am overdoing it canning Minestrone Soup. 5 quarts done and sealed and 5 more in the canner. I am so tired but very thankful for the Lord's provision and strength.

Forgot to mention :) Out here it is not unusual to see 20# bags of windfall apples and carrots for sale for feeding the deer. I purchased both and was able to use some apples for applesauce. I roasted them with sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and star anise. I then removed the spices and placed the apple mixture thru a mill. I ended up with 8 pints of applesauce. I was curious about the carrots so we purchased a bag of those. The were large and shaped odd but I peeled, sliced and roasted them with s & P and olive oil and then froze them in quart baggies. I don't think we would like canned carrots so we did this instead. For $7.00 a bag it worked out well :)

Nini, please post your Bourbon Pecan Pie recipe!

You girls have a wonderful Thanksgiving and thanks for the inspiration! :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Nov 23 2020 2:59:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2020 :  03:27:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies. always good to hear from you Sharon. Sorry to hear you were both sick. Congrats on a successful hunting season and canning to make room in the freezer. Sara, I prefer Ball jars.....lol Though alot of my jars are hand me downs from family. the canning lids i prefer come from a Mennonite Bulk food store. No name brand. I was able to stop in there recently, but they were still out of lids. I need to stock up before next year. I too am thankful for all God has provided and giving me the people to teach me, the smarts to provide for myself, and the hard working attitude. And with that thought, it is time to go out and milk my cow. have a good one everyone.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2020 :  06:33:11 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, I ordered lids off Amazon from what was advertised as a Ball store. When I got them they were a genetic brand but good ones at a good price. Yes, the Lord has been good to me too, to help me accomplish what I have to do and want to do.

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2020 :  09:17:45 AM  Show Profile
No canning going on lately. I think I will pick up after Christmas with some soups and spaghetti sauce :)

Nini, here is a recipe I found for Cranberry-Ginger Syrup. It is only good for a couple of weeks in the fridge but I don't see why you couldn't quadruple it and can it after checking the PH level. It sounds really good!

Cranberry Ginger Syrup

Ingredients

1 ½ cup of Sugar
3 cups of Water
2 cups +/- fresh Cranberries or frozen (8 oz)
1” to 1 ½” piece of fresh Ginger, peeled and thinly sliced

Instructions

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil then reduce heat. Let the liquid simmer about 10 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved. Set the pan aside to cool. Once the liquid is cool strain the contents, pressing down on the solids. Yield 3 ½ Cups

Notes
*This syrup will keep up to two weeks in the refrigerator.

Merry Christmas ladies!!!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2020 :  1:59:28 PM  Show Profile
No canning going on. Last week I made sausage sandwiches (sweet Italian sausage) and put my pickled peppers and onions on top. It was so good! Just a touch of heat and just so tasty!

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2021 :  03:15:48 AM  Show Profile

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014

Edited by - YellowRose on Mar 14 2021 03:18:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2021 :  11:22:44 AM  Show Profile
Sharon! Thank you so much for that recipe! I am so sorry - I am just seeing it now!!! Can't wait to try!

Andrea - Sausage and peppers is one of my weaknesses. We just had them last night. Oh my! YUM!

I have a big old box full of butternut squash that I HAVE to can this week. It's still good - nothing wrong with it. But I want to get it done to make room for whatever comes in the spring garden! I still have a Musquee de Provence pumpkin that needs to be canned, too. They're my favorite. I cooked, mashed and froze the huge one last month - took up the top layer of my freezer! LOL! Been enjoying pumpkin goodness ever since!

Canning corned beef is on the agenda this week, for sure! Trying to wait til after St. Patrick's Day to take advantage of mark downs, but truthfully need to get the canning done asap due to our upcoming schedule. May just venture out at the beginning of this week, bite my lip, close my eyes and pay the price! We just love it for breakfast hash on Sundays and for Reuben casserole! SO good!

Also hoping to can up a whole bunch of ghee this week. It's so easy, and so convenient. I have some fails with it, though; probably because the rims weren't wiped as well as they should've been, even though I try to be meticulous. I just love it, though, and definitely need more!

I hope we get a good crop of peaches this year. Last year due to weather it was a total bust for the farmers. This year, I plan on canning twice as many! I miss them so much!

Girls, how long are homemade, home canned jams and jellies good? I have some really old ones in the cupboard. I hate to throw them out.

Thanks so much!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  12:27:25 PM  Show Profile
You are welcome Nini! I am going to try making it this week, I didn't have time earlier and now have some fresh ginger root :) I haven't tried the Musquee de Provence pumpkins yet. When I plant them I usually plant the Cinderella Pumpkins because they aren't hollow and I think they taste fine :) Because I don't want to have 2 separate gardens I am only going to plant Pink Banana Squash( Candy Roaster). I don't want any cross pollination but these can work for pies too :)

I haven't canned anything other than Chicken Broth and Beef Broth.

I'm not sure how long jams, etc. are good for. I would think at least 2 years. But there was a time I opened up a jar of Blood Orange Marmalade that I found in the back of the cupboard and it tasted really strong and almost bitter. So, as long as it is still sealed, looks, smells and tastes good to you I would think at least 2 years maybe 3. Ladies, what say you? :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Mar 16 2021 12:28:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2021 :  03:18:00 AM  Show Profile
I have to agree Canners!! As long as it is sealed, looks good and smells good give it a try. I know we all try to rotate our stock, but something always gets missed. lol I will be canning syrup this week.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2021 :  08:31:40 AM  Show Profile
I will definitely use them, then, if they're still tasty! I had to throw out a couple of jars of dill pickles from several years ago. They actually had a little heat to them and had a funny taste. You know when hubby won't eat them - when they won't "go down," as he used to say - it's time to pitch them.

STILL haven't done any of the canning as planned. Every day is another interruption, another something to get in the way of my progress. I keep hearing that song in my head, "Nobody gonna break my stride, nobody gonna slow me down..." and then I wake myself up snoring! LOL! I'll get there. I'll get there.

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2021 :  03:44:36 AM  Show Profile
I hear ya Nini, I have been tired and wish I could take a nap. lol When I do lay down, I think of what I should be doing....... We have been getting lids from the local farm and fleet store. Limit of 4. Canned up 48 quarts of syrup last week, so that kept me going.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page