Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2021 :  1:53:03 PM  Show Profile
How awesome Michele!!! Thanks for posting the photos on the other thread :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2021 :  06:33:18 AM  Show Profile
Corn, relish, pickled peppers and onions. Next weekend hopefully some tomatoes.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2021 :  6:01:10 PM  Show Profile
Love to hear of all the canning----tomatoes and more tomatoes for me. Life do get tedious! Can't wait until frost and some me time.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2021 :  09:58:39 AM  Show Profile
Peach jam & peach rum sauce this weekend. I think the peach rum sauce will have to go in the fridge. Recipe called for lemon zest. I used lemon juice instead. Not sure how I missed that I needed to buy a lemon.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2280 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2280 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2022 :  06:06:05 AM  Show Profile
We butchered a beef over the weekend so I have been busy canning beef and bone broth. So handy to have on my pantry shelves. Today I am canning a pressure canner load of ground beef and a load or two of chunked beef. So handy to have on hand for quick meals.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2022 :  2:59:30 PM  Show Profile

I surely wish we would get a lot of rain Treelady. We haven't had any moisture for ages and every thing is bone dry.
Kathy

“Kindness is Free, Sprinkle that Stuff Everywhere.”

"I was cut out to be rich but I was sewn up wrong"
Sister#4076
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2022 :  3:48:39 PM  Show Profile
Julie wow, that will be a lot of food! I love canning broth and its so healthy. Kathy I hope you get rain soon. We seem to have no shortage of moisture here being at the bottom of a hill.

Vintage sewing machines, original parts & related book titles.- http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  09:19:22 AM  Show Profile
This morning I canned 4 pints dried black-eyed peas. Black-eyed peas have never been a favorite of mine until I had them at a local cafe. They were so good. At Christmas my niece gifted me a garden tote bag filled with dried beans and a 2# pkg of black-eyed peas. Still have plenty of black-eyed peas for many more pints. Will work them in between my other canning.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  4:56:35 PM  Show Profile
I have never canned dried food - do you do it the same as "wet" food? I don't think I've ever had black eyed peas either LOL! I think I'll have to see if I can find some and try them the next time I'm at the store.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 14 2022 :  06:35:24 AM  Show Profile
Heather, canning dried beans cuts out the soaking overnight and cooking for 30 min. If you like I will send you the recipe. Just PM me with your home address. BTY I'm sorry I missed your post before this morning.

Black-eyed peas are better known in the south and Texas. I hear that "up-north" they call them cowpeas and feed them to their stock. We eat them on New Years for good luck.

Yesterday I put up 4 pints of dried red beans. They are so pretty in mason jars.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - May 14 2022 :  1:06:29 PM  Show Profile
No worries Sara :) I sent you an e-mail. I wonder if my cows would like cowpeas LOL!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - May 14 2022 :  1:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I just canned 20 pints of ham and potato soup.

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 14 2022 :  1:20:51 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I answered your message.

Julie, great job putting up 20 pints of ham & potato soup. It'll make a great quick lunch or supper.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 14 2022 :  6:40:52 PM  Show Profile
Canning meals is such a good thing Julie. I hope to do more of that. I canned rhubarb juice the other day.
We like to mix that with elderberry in the winter.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2022 :  2:14:03 PM  Show Profile
Over the weekend I canned 11 pints of spaghetti sauce and 4 pints + 7 quarts of crushed tomatoes. Both recipes are from the USDA book. The crushed tomatoes have too much juice, the last jar hardly had any solids so next time I will try the whole or halved tomatoes instead.
I was feeling pretty good about getting so much done. Then I read on FB that someone canned 157 quarts of spaghetti sauce with help from their family in one day. How on earth do you get that much done in one day? I need some tips! On Saturday I picked up a bushel of tomatoes and made the spaghetti sauce. On Sunday I canned the crushed tomatoes with rest of that bushel. My feet hurt, my back hurt and I broke a nail (haha). How much do you can in a day or weekend?

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2022 :  8:12:59 PM  Show Profile
Love the canning news---I have me 21 pints of pizza sauce---20 pints of pickle relish--ten quarts of kraut---40 pints of salsa--also I have frozen beans and corn. Life do get tedious---also gathering wood---my old bones do ache---keep on canning ladies. always read the canning news. I have learned to can in stages---prep my tomatoes and things before and get up and be ready to start. I hate to can---but love to see it in the can. YEE_HAW! If someone canned 157 quarts of spaghetti sauce in one day---they were probably on Chrystal meth---LOL!

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2022 :  03:17:32 AM  Show Profile
Crazy that many jars in one day. Must have multiple canners and propane burners. I have the last batch of grapes picked now. Will run them in the steam juicer. I made two batches of jam last week. Picked my first batch of elderberries. Got corn to get picked and freeze too. The harvest is on, and not enough time.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2022 :  4:01:13 PM  Show Profile
Barbara that is a lot of canning! I need to figure out how to prep so my feet don't hurt so bad at the end of the day. Agree, chrystal meth LOL
Michele - okay, maybe that is how they did it ;) I love my steam juicer! Elderberries are ripe here too. Not enough to do much this year.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2022 :  02:49:18 AM  Show Profile
How I miss canning. Haven't done any in a while but I intend to. 157 cans in one day is crazy! We've had watering issues really since we moved in, and just had a new well put in days ago, so our harvest is not as we wanted. Andrea I bet all of those jars look so pretty with the sauce! Michele I wish I could make jam. I planted a grape vine last year, and we have several bunches to be ripe soon but not enough for jam.

Vintage sewing machines, original parts & related book titles.- http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

Edited by - naturemaiden on Aug 30 2022 02:54:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2022 :  03:27:26 AM  Show Profile
The recipe is in the ball canning book for grape jam. You can do any size batch. Pop the pulp and seeds out in one pan, the grape skins go in another. Put a little water in with the skins and simmer for 15 min. I have both simmering for the same time. Put the pulp though a strainer in with the skins, using a spoon to get out all the pulp. Toss the seeds. Then I add sugar to taste while boiling. Cook till it sheets of the spoon and put in jars.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2022 :  8:34:11 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies! I jumped on to ask for a recipe but things look pretty quiet in the kitchen since the start of September. I hope everyone is OK?

I picked 20 pounds of Anaheim type peppers from my garden and want to make a green sauce to can up for Chile verde. Does anyone have a recipe like that? I buy a green sauce from Costco which is delicious (but expensive) and the only ingredients in it are green peppers, garlic and salt. Seems like I should be able to do that, but how do I know the processing time to be sure it’s safe?

I love reading what everyone is canning!

Sara in CA
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2022 :  8:48:07 PM  Show Profile
I have a chili verde sauce recipe but it's mild and uses mostly tomatillos and onions with a touch of lime. It's great for shrimp or crab enchiladas or enchilada suiza.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2022 :  02:58:15 AM  Show Profile
No recipe here either. I did do salsa verde with tomatillos also. basicly I put the peppers, tomatillos, onion and garlic and roasted it in the oven. Then they went in the blender, adding spices and lime juice. Then I canned them. I do find alot of recipes on pinterest. We use the currant kitchen creations topic quite a bit for all things cooking, canning and what ever else. One gal wanted one topic to try to look back to find a recipe. It was hard to find otherwise. I know when processing, you use the time for the ingredient with the longest processing time.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2022 :  04:16:40 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I have been canning tomato soup, pickled onions, pickled daikon radish, carrots and onions and green tomatoes that I use for green tomato pie.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2022 :  02:58:57 AM  Show Profile
Gail your sure keeping busy. Will be nice this winter to have all those jars on the shelves.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page