AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  12:25:33 PM  Show Profile
The chunky recipe I canned was actually apple butter. The applesauces were all the smooth kind. But I can share the apple butter recipe if you still want it. It is really good - I could just sit there and eat it with a spoon. I was really disappointed that I didn't have any extra in the pot this time - I needed every little bit to fill the last jar. :)
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2015 :  11:40:48 AM  Show Profile
Trying to make room in the freezer, so I took out some bags of chicken bones I've been saving and simmered up some stock then canned it. Got 5 quarts and 1 pint of liquid gold! lol
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2015 :  1:32:36 PM  Show Profile
Today is a busy day in Annika's kitchen. I'm cooking down a turkey carcass for stock, cooking down two ginormous pumpkins for pies, bread and all that, and the rest of the window ripened garden tomatoes for chunky tomato sauce.
Go to Top of Page

Pokeyfire
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Kerry
Alamogordo New Mexico
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2015 :  5:01:55 PM  Show Profile
Two years ago I tried canning for the first time using my grandmother's bread & butter pickle recipe and her big canning pot. They came out AWESOME! Friends were begging for more.
Last year I couldn't get more the a few pickles ready at the same time and had to try a dill pickle thing in the fridge. I also had so much zucchini that I didn't know what to do with it so I just froze it.
Sad and dishearten I decided not to plant a garden this year.
Now, reading all of the fantastic things you all have canned (even the items I have no idea what they are or how to eat them)and have seen the beautiful pictures, I have decided to give it another go!
I believe my first stop will be to look into those books someone mentioned earlier. Then I can begin to plan my garden for next year.
I may just have to hit the Farmer's Market this weekend to see what is still available.

Thank you ladies. Canning is one of the many things I miss about my grandmother. I plan to try to at least learn the techniques of all of them so I can me more like her. 'Cause SHE ROCKED!!

Big Hugs,

Pokeyfire
Farmgirl #6712

Rain soothes the soul. Sunshine makes everything right.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  09:06:59 AM  Show Profile
Good for you, Pokeyfire! Plenty of time to plan for next year for sure! I've self taught my canning skills from the Ball Blue book, etc. and although I use the freezer a lot too, it is definitely a great skill to have access to! So many options and so nice to be able to preserve the harvest!
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2015 :  4:00:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters,
Wow, MJF Magazine is always great but the Dec/Jan 2016 issue far exceeded itself. I loved the articles and the expanded section of recipes. I had always wanted an Orange Marmalade recipe and voila there it was. So today since we are having a historic wind storm for the Northern Idaho region it was a perfect time to can again. The recipe makes 3 1/2 cups and so I used 1/2 cup little canning jars. Oh just right for my husband and I. It does take a bit of time but is an enjoyable process. The results are worth it. Yes, I licked the spoon when I was done. Now they are setting to cool for 24 hours. Thanks so much for all the effort in the magazine and in the test kitchen! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2015 :  01:49:56 AM  Show Profile
Annie, your jars of orange marmalade are picture perfect ~ just like in a magazine.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2015 :  10:53:45 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday, jellied cranberry sauce--hubby's favorite--lots of time spent straining the million seeds out. Worth the effort. today I'm making a small batch of cranberry salad. It's a whole cranberry sauce with pineapple and mandarin oranges. Super good stuff. Next week I'm making Christmas jam with frozen whole strawberries and cranberries. That's it! Then the canner can have a good winter's nap!

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  06:14:48 AM  Show Profile
Sylvia, straining out seeds is a chore but I know your cranberry sauce will be the star of your holiday dinners.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  12:55:27 PM  Show Profile
Let's see - over the past few weeks I've canned cranberry sauce (Sylvia - yours with pineapple and mandarin oranges sounds amazing!!!!), chicken, turkey soup, ground beef, hot Italian sausage patties, stew beef, more potatoes... I am having so much fun! I keep telling myself that once I finish canning this, or once I get to canning that, I'll put my canner away for the winter, but it never happens. I firmly believe my canners and dehydrator are the most invaluable additions to my kitchen - in addition, of course, to my great-grandma's cast iron skillet! I just can't seem to put them away! LOL! How about you girls? Do you use your canner all year, or only seasonally?

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

www.papercraftingwithnini.ctmh.com

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2015 :  03:48:32 AM  Show Profile
i havent done any canning, we've been so busy with getting this house straightened up before the cold weather comes. i am going to can up loads of turkey soup soon!

http://www.naturemaiden.com/ Handcrafted Soap & Candles
http://saratoga-rose.blogspot.com/ My published books & other writing.
http://modern-day-laura.blogspot.com/ Filled with everything I love!
http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/ Vintage Sewing Machine Parts
Go to Top of Page

Pokeyfire
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Kerry
Alamogordo New Mexico
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2015 :  08:06:08 AM  Show Profile
Quick question, I tried a recipe for a fresh cranberry relish with apple and some pineapple juice. It was fantastic! I am wondering if that is something I can can? Or would that mess up the texture? And if so, is that something I can do in a water bath?
Okay, maybe that was more than one question. :0)

Pokeyfire
Farmgirl #6712

Rain soothes the soul. Sunshine makes everything right.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  1:13:41 PM  Show Profile
Better late than never! Here is the recipe for the Sweet and Chunky Spiced Apple Butter:

2 lb McIntosh, peeled and cored
2 lb Granny Smith, peeled and cored
1 cup apple cider
2 cups sugar + 2 tsp ground cinnamon + ½ tsp ground cloves and ½ tsp all spice
2 T lemon juice

Cut McIntosh apples into1 inch pieces. Cut Granny Smith into smaller dice. Combine apples and cinder in a very large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Stir occasionally. Reduce heat and boil gently for 20 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half.
Stir in sugar, spices and lemon juice. Return to a boil, reduce heat and boil gently for about 25 minutes or until mixture is very thick. There should still be some tender apple chunks remaining. Remove from heat.

Ladle into hot jars leaving 1/2” headspace and process for 10 minutes. Makes 7 cups.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2016 :  05:45:30 AM  Show Profile
Did first canning session of the year this weekend! Made up a batch of Asian Plum Sauce (plums were on sale at Meijer) and boy did it turn out good! Got 7 half pints :)

I also had some left over and we happened to fry up some Polish Egg Rolls this weekend and boy did that sauce go good with those!!!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2016 :  06:02:39 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, I know how to make fruit sauces but I don't know the ingredients for Asian Plum Sauce. Will you please list them for me. I like it over rice and in pork dishes. I'll be looking plums on sale.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2016 :  05:54:49 AM  Show Profile
Sure!

Asian Plum Sauce Ingredients:

1/8 tsp Allspice
1/4 tsp Chili Powder
1/8 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Ginger
3 cloves Garlic
1.5 cups finely chopped onions
1.5 lbs plums
1/4 cup raisins
2 tsp soy sauce
1.5 cups brown sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar

This makes about 3.5 cups of sauce

Edited by - AuntJamelle on Mar 23 2016 05:55:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2016 :  06:04:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jaime. I have all the ingredients on hand so all I need is for plums to go on sale.

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  09:35:27 AM  Show Profile
Jamie, that sounds great, thanks for sharing!

Recently I have made:

~Blood Orange Marmalade

Broke out the Pressure Canner for the first time and made:

~Spaghetti Sauce
~British Style Beans
~Mulligatawny

I would like to start canning different types of beans to have on hand :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmgirlquilting
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Angie
Ft Meade FL
79 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  06:20:06 AM  Show Profile
This past weekend I made Plum jam (my hubby's favorite), peach jelly, canned peaches, blueberry jam, and blueberry syrup.

Angie Gordon
farmgirlquilting@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  06:37:54 AM  Show Profile
Angie, you have been busy.

I bought round green beans on sale and may put up a small batch of rosemary pickled green beans. Haven't decided if I'll pickle them or grilled on George Foreman Grill.

Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  07:20:08 AM  Show Profile
Last year I did tomatoes, pickles, and pickled asparagus. This year I'm planning on more tomatoes and I'm trying a different kind of cucumber for the pickles. I bought a book on preserving and am hoping to try a recipe or two that's more advanced than straight canning.

Oh! And last year at my office they did a few "lunch and learns" where we had boxes of fresh fruit brought in and left with us to snack on. At the end of the week, since nobody wanted it, I took home probably 200 pears and canned them. I gave them out as gifts- they were very popular! I'm hoping I can end up with another case of salvaged fruit this year, haha!

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  08:01:14 AM  Show Profile
I just finished violet, honeysuckle and dandelion jellies. Next I want to do mimosa jelly and hot pepper jelly. Then it will be time for farmers market. Yay! green is dandelion, light rose is honeysuckle. I used MaryJanes's ChillOver powder for the first time this year.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon

Edited by - forgetmenot on May 20 2016 08:08:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

NAGarcia
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Natalie
Gresham OR
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  1:52:04 PM  Show Profile
My local fruit stand had a killer deal on strawberries over the weekend, so I bought a case. We used some for strawberry shortcake on Sunday (yum!) and today I turned most of the rest into jam. Pretty proud of myself, it's the first time I've done any canning on my own. 9 beautiful half-pints and all the lids have sealed!

Natalie

Farmgirl Sister #7004 May 2016
^*^ We are the weirdos, mister. ^*^
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  2:01:13 PM  Show Profile
Natalie, your jam is beautiful.

Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  2:42:21 PM  Show Profile
I know this is probably a dumb question but...

I canned a lot of tomatoes last year, and I'd like to use them up soon to make room for this year's batch. I have several quart jars, and for the life of me I just don't know what to do with them. I supposed the easiest would be to make pasta sauce- but do I just put them in a blender? Food processor? Heat them up as they are? Add tomato paste? Any other ideas for using up quart jars of tomato chunks?? I'm finding lots of recipes for *how* to can tomatoes but not so many about how to use them!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen:  What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page