Page: of 61

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  2:43:53 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone looked at those freeze dried machines. They are super pricy but food will last 25 yrs and it saves SO much space.. Not sure I will be here in 25 yrs though, and I couldn't part with my shelves of canning jars!.. HAHA!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

NAGarcia
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Natalie
Gresham OR
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  3:17:27 PM  Show Profile
Sara, thanks. It is kinda jewel-like, isn't it?

Natalie

Farmgirl Sister #7004 May 2016
^*^ We are the weirdos, mister. ^*^
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  3:36:27 PM  Show Profile
My favorite thing to do with home canned tomatoes is to eat them straight out of the jar.

Second choice is tomatoes & lg elbow macaroni.

Tomatoes cooked with crusty hardy bread (French bread. Sandwich bread will not work - it will turn to mush.

If using as spa sauce blend or mash tomatoes; cook down to desired thickness; add olive oil and Italian seasoning.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2016 :  06:39:45 AM  Show Profile
Sara those sound fantastic, thank you!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2016 :  11:23:20 AM  Show Profile
Lisa - I have looked into them. I'm excited about the option, but dang, they ARE expensive! Here's my thing, put aside the price (which I bet will go down SOME day): whenever we've used freeze dried foods in the past, although they're good and reconstitute well, they always seem to taste like somethings missing, as if water is just not good enough to rehydrate them. I've found myself rehydrating freeze dried apples with apple cider to get them to taste right, or I've been cooking them IN pies with pie filling to get the flavor. We've tried other freeze dried fruits, too, and they just seem so flat to me. Veggies are usually cooked IN something like a casserole, so I haven't really noticed much of a difference with them. I've never tried freeze dried meats, either - do they rehydrate well? Do you need broth to add flavor? I just don't know... I think for now I'll stick to my dehydrator, freezing and my number one perservation passion canning! What are everyone else's thoughts on the subject?

Excellent suggestions, Sara! Rachel, you can also make homemade salsa from canned tomatoes... By adding just a few ingredients, you will find that much more satisfying than store bought, for sure! And I've been known to open a jar and add sliced canned tomatoes to my grilled cheese (with onions, of course) when fresh just aren't available. It's actually quite yummy! :)

Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2016 :  05:31:26 AM  Show Profile
Today is prep day for canning a mix of pickled veggies tomorrow. Italian gold zucchini, zucchini, yellow squash, Texas sweet onions, red bell pepper, celery, my sister's cucumbers, and hot red peppers. Will measure out salt, herbs, & spices.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2016 :  04:52:19 AM  Show Profile
You GO, Sara! YUM! I bet your pickles are awesome! Our garden is just starting to really take off, so it's going to be a while. My mother is looking forward to my homemade relish - she says she's addicted, and could probably eat an entire jar in one sitting! Homemade is DEFINITELY better! ;)

I'm getting ready to can up some meats in order to make some room in the freezer for the next pig, side of beef, etc. Plus, I like to freeze my tomatoes until I have enough to can up huge batches of sauce at once. I can't wait for tomatoes!!!

Silly question: I have a bunch of frozen blueberries in the freezer that are just going to sit there for quite a while if I don't do something with them. Is it possible to can pie filling from frozen blueberries? Or maybe jam? Or do you think I should just dehydrate them to add to dishes later? This year, I really want to try to make everything as homemade ready-made as possible!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2016 :  11:22:41 AM  Show Profile
Nini, wish I could help you out with the blueberries but I have no experience with them.

My sister bought me a grocery bag of cucumbers out of her garden. I need to do something with them but since I was up at 4:30a.m. canning I don't want to do it again in the morning. I went through all my canning books and finally found a refrigerator Thai Chile Pickle recipe in a canning magazine I bought last summer.

I have all the ingredients on hand so I can prepare the cucumbers tonight and finish tomorrow. It calls for Thai chili but I will substitute cayenne or jalapeno peppers. I grow lemon grass so I'm happy it's in the recipe. Should make 6 pints.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2016 :  08:17:12 AM  Show Profile
I put up the refrigerator Thai Chili Pickles this morning. Yield: 2 pints - 4 1/2 pints - 2 4oz jars. I have a sister who only wants a bite or two of what I put up so the 4oz jars are for her.

After they cool down I will put them in the fridge - will be ready to eat in a week and will keep up to 3 months in fridge.

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2016 :  06:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Sara my husband loves canned tomatoes over macaroni but adds pieces of cheese on top! Garden is just starting so here in MN have a ways to go. We don't have a green house so up to Mother Nature to do the job in our couple months of summer #128521;

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2016 :  08:11:33 AM  Show Profile
The refrigerator Thai Chili Pickles are ready today and boy are they good. Had them on a cheese & bologna sandwich. As I eat them up or give away I will make more.

Go to Top of Page

GoatieGirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Melody
Cochranton Pa
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2016 :  6:23:55 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever made Hungarian Sour Pickles (Kovaszos Uborka)? I'm going to try making them this year. You basically make a brine and soak the cucumbers in it for 5 days outside in a jar. The fascinating thing is that you put a few slices of bread on top of the jar to start the fermenting process. Feel free to share your recipe if you have experience in making these.

My Husband's grandmother was from Hungary and made these for him growing up. He has put in a request but I've never tasted them to know how they are to turn out. It's always fun to try and get a recipe from her because she never follows one. Her very broken English doesn't make it easy to translate recipes that she has memorized.

Sister #6700
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2016 :  7:33:30 PM  Show Profile
Melody
I have never done fermented pickles in that manner, but always ferment my pickles and never can them. They are so much crisper, and keep in the fridge forever. (like all winter long). The only downside is creating fridge space, but the crisp fresh taste far outweighs anything I have been able to replicate with canning. I have 3 half gallons fermenting right now and will likely start more in the next week or so. I started doing this about 3 years ago and haven't turned back.
If you have a recipe for the Hungarian pickles I would love to try them. I am basically a fan of all things fermented... Bring it on!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2016 :  05:33:24 AM  Show Profile
Lisa thanks for reminding me about fermenting. I did a little of it last fall than forgot about it. I have 4 of my sister's cucumbers left so I will start fermenting a quart today.

The two Tabasco pepper plants I planted for our Jubilee are doing good, but they need watering everyday, and I am tired of it. So, today I will cut them down and make green hot pepper vinegar sauce. Will start them off in 1/2 gal mason jar with boiling apple cider vinegar, garlic, fresh rosemary & thyme, and Texas sweet 1015 onion. After a couple of days I will put the peppers & vinegar into cute little bottles. Great on greens & pinto beans.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2016 :  08:29:54 AM  Show Profile
That pepper sauce sound wonderful!

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  1:08:24 PM  Show Profile
Made rhubarb jelly and rhubarb bbq sauce. It's sweet and more of a finishing sauce. Got the recipe for it out of a Ball Canning recipe book. The rhubarb jelly was 3 cups chopped rhubarb, 3 cups sugar, 1.75 pkg pectin and 3 cups of water. supposed to make 4 half pints. add water to bring up to proper fluid amount. drain the pulp for at least 30 minutes. Great way to get rid of rhubarb that's too tough for pie. going to make rhubarb chutney next.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  1:37:14 PM  Show Profile
Lorena, your rhubarb jelly and BBQ sauce sound tasty.

Melody, in my Preserving Food Without Canning or Freezing book I came across a recipe for dandelion wine. It called for a couple of slices of stale bread spread with baker's yeast to start fermenting process.

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  2:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Melody, a neighbor friend used to make the pickles and put rye bread on top. They were delicious. Instead of asking if we wanted a cup of coffee we got pickles instead. LOL! We loved them. She has since passed and I don't know the recipe.
The only things I have done so far are freezing blueberries and strawberries. Nothing else is ready yet. I love to read about and see all your good finished products. Post some of your good recipes.

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  2:50:34 PM  Show Profile
Darlene, did she can the bread or was it used only in the process of making the pickles?

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  3:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
She laid the bread on top of the pickles and whatever brine she used. She had a plate on top to hold it down. She was a lovely polish lady.

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  3:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Forgot to say they were fermented. Not canned.

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  3:41:51 PM  Show Profile
I understand now. I started fermenting a quart of cucumbers today. May add rye bread when there's room to do it. The cucumbers are already making brine.

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  3:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Sara, would you share your recipe?

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  4:29:11 PM  Show Profile
Wash, dry, & Slice cucumbers - does not have to be peeled - I stripped peeled mine because I like the look.

Pack cucumbers into sterilized quart jar/jars - add 3 Tsp salt to each quart jar - I used canning salt and added it every inch or so of cucumbers. Press the cucumbers down as you add them. Pack to rim of jar and put on lid/ring.

That was the original recipe. I added garlic cloves, chopped sweet onion, black peppercorns and mustard seeds.

Check on them everyday for the first 3 days. Should be ready to eat in 2 weeks. As pickles are eaten make sure what is left is always covered by brine to prevent mold. Book says they can be kept in cool pantry but I will probably store mine in fridge.

Note: The author of recipe said he used the brine as vinegar in recipes.

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  4:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Sara. I will try them. I would put them in the fridge too.

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: