YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2019 :  06:25:43 AM  Show Profile
This morning I canned 4 pints chicken broth with celery seeds & fennel seeds. I made potato soup with the leftovers and it was very good - Annie and I had it for breakfast.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2019 :  10:28:37 AM  Show Profile
This morning I canned 4 pints Lila dried beans from Mexico. All jars sealed so this FarmGirl is a happy canner.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2019 :  04:09:50 AM  Show Profile
You one busy canner--Sara. that is so wonderful, all the different jars of goodness you have stocked up. I have had 3 days of vacation now. A staycation, my sister is here from Montana. We have been sewing different projects. I am slow at getting going this morning. But i need to head out and milk. Finally getting some rain. Garden is mostly up now. What a difference a few weeks make. haha

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2019 :  05:55:33 AM  Show Profile
Michele good news to hear your garden is up. Thanks for the sweet words about my stocking up. Hope to put up scarlet runner beans in the morning. Sometime next week I would like to do beef broth.

Here's a list of the dried beans I have on hand to can.

2 lbs Lila
1 lb caballero
1 lb eye of the goat
1 lb Moro
1 lb French green lentils
1 lb cranberry
3 lb red kidney - I was given the bag.

1 lb of dried beans will yield four pints with enough beans & broth left over for one to two meals. Since I cook for one pints are the perfect size for me.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2019 :  10:23:22 AM  Show Profile
This morning I canned 4 pints scarlet runner dried beans.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2019 :  11:27:05 AM  Show Profile
I always enjoy reading what you are canning Sara. I would be to lazy to can beans. I really admire all the canning work you do.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2019 :  1:13:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Barbara. I eat a lot of beans but I don't like to eat the same bean more than two days in a row. I cook for one so I put beans up in pints so I have my two meals and it's time for another flavor.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2019 :  07:04:28 AM  Show Profile
Pressured canned 4 pints of Moro dried beans this morning. A black-gray Mexican bean. It's heating up here in my corner of Texas so on canning days I'll be in my Yellow Rose Cottage no later than 6a.m. BTW all jars sealed.

Cranberry beans in the morning.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2019 :  04:37:36 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I pressured canned 4 pints cranberry beans. This morning I was out in my Yellow Rose Cottage at 4:30 to beat the heat. Have 4 pints caballero beans in pressure canner. It's a Peruvian white bean with a creamy texture. I'll take a break from canning and pick it up again in a week or so.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2019 :  1:42:27 PM  Show Profile
that is one early start there Sara. Must be pretty hot down by you. What a job you do with all your canning. All i can say is wow. enjoy all your home canned goodness.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2019 :  2:28:07 PM  Show Profile
Seven pints of Beard and Butter pickles and four half pints of blueberry sauce. This summers goal is to can something in my pressure canner, beans maybe.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2019 :  02:48:26 AM  Show Profile
keep on canning Jana! lol enjoy your home canned goodies. It is fun to go to your shelves and pick out what you would like to use.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2019 :  04:21:18 AM  Show Profile
Michele it was 72 at 4 a.m. and almost 90 by afternoon.

Jana B&B are my favorite pickles. Hope to make a batch before summer's up. I made blueberry syrup with lime one year. I picked the berries at a berry farm. Great fun - had a picnic on the grounds.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2019 :  07:13:38 AM  Show Profile
Sara a picnic at a you pick farm sounds wonderful and Michelle, it is so nice to go to my shelves rather then the market not knowing what extra chemicals are inside the can! Enjoy your summer.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2019 :  07:38:19 AM  Show Profile
Pressured canned 4 pints corncob broth this morning. I have used one pint of the four I put up in June.

In the morning it'll be 4 pints chicken mushroom broth.

I have been using my 1970s Ball Blue Book as my canning guide. Yesterday while watching American Test Kitchen on PBS I learned lids no longer have to be kept in hot water. Use dry at room temperature. Don't know when the rule on lids changed but this morning I did it the "new" way and it was so much easier and all jars sealed. Guess I need to keep up with the changing times - don't you think.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2019 :  03:02:41 AM  Show Profile
a couple years ago i picked up a new ball blue book. It was interesting how it had changed. Funny that the lids look the same as they did years ago. I learned canning from my ma, so i don't quite follow all the "rules". Everyone does it their own way. happy canning!!

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2019 :  04:25:48 AM  Show Profile
Michele I received the jar opener yesterday. It's so cute and I know I will put it to good use. Thanks - it came on a day I needed an extra hug.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  03:49:33 AM  Show Profile
(((((hugs))))) Hope it works for you. I have not finished one for myself yet. lol

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2019 :  1:48:07 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies :)

Everyone is so busy!!!!

Sara, I still need to start canning beans! Hopefully in the Fall along with more chicken stock. I have been making stock and keeping it in the freezer. Once I accumulate enough I will be canning it.

Jana, I was nervous using my pressure canner for the first time, now it doesn't intimidate me :) You need to try it :) Bread and Butter Pickles and Blueberry Syrup sounds wonderful! :)

Michele, I hope you got your garden in. We didn't, we were too busy with my mom who is doing great btw :) She is still in rehab but it looks like she will be coming home by the end of the month, maybe earlier :)

So,...

June

~Apple Blossom Jelly
~Rhubarb Vanilla Jam which actually came out more like a sauce but it's tasty :) It has Earl Grey tea in it also :)

July

~Seedless Wild Raspberry Jam
~Wild Raspberry Syrup
~Wild Blueberry Jam
~Cowboy Candy (Candied Jalapenos)
~Dill Pickles
~Banana Pepper Mustard

The plan for August:

~Thimbleberry Jam
~More Seedless Raspberry Jam (It is an abundant year for wild berries :) )
~Blueberry Pie Filling
~Hot Sauce (actually this is my honey's project and he gets to clean up too because I can't handle the fumes :)

I've been trying to learn about herbs and have found St. Johnswort, Yarrow, Mullein and Pineapple Weed on our property so I have some drying and I may try my hand at making tinctures :)

Hope everyone is staying cool and having fun :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2019 :  05:02:52 AM  Show Profile
Sharon just getting around to saying I'm impressed with how you plan what you will be canning. I've had cowboy candy and it is so good if the jalapenos aren't too hot. I take the seeds and ribs out - do you?

Hint to you that are new to canning or cooking with hot peppers: either wear gloves or make sure you don't touch your eyes. Hot peppers will burn your eyes and if you are doing a lot of them they will irritate & burn your hands. I know better and there are times I forget and touch my eyes and it does hurt for a while.

While I'm on the subject of working with hot peppers I'll mention that if you dry hot peppers to make hot pepper flakes be careful when you take the lid of the blender. Ground up hot peppers will take your breath away when you take the lid off if you are too near.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2019 :  7:34:02 PM  Show Profile
good advice Sara. I have been there done that.........and no fun. Sharon I too like your planning. Right now i see my crab apples are red. I juice them up and can, using the juice for pectin in jams and jellies. I have plenty left over, so don't need to make any this year. I have not bought pectin for countless years now. Jana it is so nice to go to the canning shelves and find goodies for suppers. I want to try making "rotel" canned tomatoes this year. My tomatoes are all green yet, so might be a while.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2019 :  07:54:26 AM  Show Profile
The pressure canner and water bath canner have been busy the last few days. So far I did:
8 qts. green beans
14 pints green beans
7 pints bread and butter pickles

Today I am picking the first row of beets, not sure if I will do pickles or just can them. Hubby likes both and has been known to eat an entire jar in an evening. Have put lots of snow peas, kale, cauliflower, broccoli and kale in the freezer for winter and have 6 heads of cabbage in the garage fridge that split on me I need to get shredded flor saurkraut. I love going to the garden everyday, it is a lot of work but very rewarding.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2019 :  10:02:45 AM  Show Profile
Sara and Michele, i always have gloves on hand (Ha! no pun intended) for when I work with hot peppers. I have found out the hard way :) Same goes for using horseradish root. We grated some one year with the Kitchen-Aid and wow! The fumes were so strong! I have a coffee grinder dedicated to herbs, spices and peppers. When done I brush out to clean and then run uncooked white rice through a couple of times to "clean" it.

I try to plan according to when harvest time for the berries, etc. are (I make notes because we are still learning the area.)

Julie, good for you!!! Your garden sounds wonderful! I know it is a lot of work but it's a good feeling knowing that it has paid off and you are providing for your family. How I wish we had a garden this year. We recently found a source for local beets $1.00 a pound so we are going to stock up. I plan on pickling some and roasting and freezing some.

Michele, can you explain how you use the crabapple juice as pectin? We may be able to get some crabapples this year and I would love to try that. I hope your tomatoes ripen! One year in Colorado we had 70 pounds of green tomatoes harvested before the frost. So if you need green tomato recipes for canning, let me know :)

We were able to get some tart cherries so I made Sour Cherry Jam and am experimenting again :) Back in Colorado we tried a Cherry-Habanero Mustard and it was so good. So I am playing around and hopefully will be able to duplicate it.

We picked some Wintergreen leaves and are making extract. Thanks to Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder :) Back in New England there was a candy company that made wintergreen patties (like the York Peppermint patties only wintergreen flavor) I will try my hand at those (I often reminisce :) ) I also plan on making a bark candy with the extract :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2019 :  03:15:24 AM  Show Profile
Ladies---glad to hear of all your canning successes. I have nothing to can this year. The tomatoes got a weird disease and curled up---I have gotten five whole tomatoes. Everything else failed and dried up---not even enough green beans to get a pot to cook. Will have some corn if we can keep the coons out. Life do get tedious.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2019 :  3:01:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you Barbara--Nothing to can this year. Our scarlet runner bean plants are big and beautiful but just aren't setting beans. Cabbage moths got to my turnips so bad we had to pull them early and put them in the freezer. That really made me mad as I love turnip greens but the darn bugs got them again. The beets are doing well so maybe later I can put up some pickled beets. If I can find my canning jars buried somewhere in the garage. We didn't plant much this year as there is just two of us.
Has anyone tried freezing chard? We have a bumper crop of it.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page