windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 02 2019 :  03:32:04 AM  Show Profile
It is really cool to find out how something was created, bread and butter pickles, who knew. lol Sharon, we got an apple press a few years ago, and totally love it. Cider syrup, i have never heard of that, peaks my curiosity. We have made apple pie moon shine, that is good. hehehe got 3 more old hens cooked up tuesday night after work. Last night i got them canned. Got 10 quarts total and maybe close to 5 in the freezer. Judith nice to have those dried mushrooms on hand.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 02 2019 :  05:58:42 AM  Show Profile
Judith, good for you! Pretty soon I will be using ours for Ramps. I don't think that I have ever had porcine mushrooms before. Are they similar to a Cremini ?

Michele, you sure are busy canning, especially having a farm and all of the work involved there. I love our press too! Cider Syrup: this is a link to what gave me the idea: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/boiled-cider-1-pint

Not canning but stocking up a little bit: We made yogurt with our instant-pot yesterday. I added a bit of Maple Syrup and it is so good. Way more cost efficient and tastier too!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 02 2019 :  07:08:18 AM  Show Profile
All my canning buddies have been busy, busy. Me not so much but I have high hopes of getting back to it.

Denise thanks for sharing the history of bread & butter pickles. My guess was when times were hard farmer's wives made pickle & butter sandwiches. It does sound sorta good - may give it a try the next time I make B & B pickles.

Judith I love using my dehydrator to dry things I find on sale or in marked down bin.

Michele I checked out the site and think cider syrup is a great idea. I wonder if it would work with commercial cider? Great job on canning chicken.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 03 2019 :  03:31:17 AM  Show Profile
sharon you dry ramps? interesting. I was looking at them on my walks lately. All these years i never used them. do you dry just the bulb? I looked at 2 different ways to make cider syrup. ONe you added ingredients and and one you just boiled down. Interesting. Sara sometimes you just get caught up, but we are coming into summer, look out. lol

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 14 2019 :  5:31:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michele, I just dry the green tops of the ramps. I don't always pick the bulbs to make sure they grow again next year. But I have on occasion and saute them with the greens and freeze. This is a recipe I want to try this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z48VWjIjoU

Hello Sara!

So for the past week my mom has been in the hospital with a bacterial infection that keeps getting worse. It has been a week since Monday and she will be having her sixth surgery/procedure to try and remove things from spreading. My husband and I took a day off Saturday from the hospital (2 hours away)and I was able to can a couple of things. It helps me to relax :)

~Carrot Cake Jam (which sounds strange but is so good!)
~Red Onion Jam
~Green Tomato Chutney

I was hoping to pick some ramps soon but that will depend how things go with my mom. My younger brother is flying in tonight just in case.

Happy Canning girls :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on May 14 2019 5:50:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - May 14 2019 :  5:52:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sharon I hope your mom is doing better! My parents are 89 and 90 and having issues too, but so far nothing like that.
And, carrot cake jam, yes, I have made it, and I believe it was your recipe. Just like it sounds, and not weird... Good!
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 14 2019 :  6:35:18 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Lisa. Mom is 88 and we almost lost her two years ago to Pneumonia. It has been so hard on her. This started with a UTI that was diagnosed a week ago Saturday when we took her to ER. By Monday she was so red and swollen and had to have emergency surgery that night. This bacteria is aggressive. I hope that you parents never have to deal with anything like this.

This was my first time making the Carrot Cake Jam. I may have posted the recipe wanting to try it. Regardless it is good :) Even my honey who wasn't too thrilled at the sound of it likes it alot. :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on May 14 2019 6:36:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 15 2019 :  12:02:07 AM  Show Profile
Sharon so sorry to hear about your mother. Praying for her.
Lisa when I think of you I also remember your parents. Hope all is well.

Sharon and Lisa I want to try the carrot cake jam. Would love the recipe.

In my Preserving Italy cookbook there's a recipe for ramps in oil.

In herb cookbook I found a recipe for Queen Anne's Lace jelly. Who knew QAL was editable. It's on my list to try next year when QAL is at it's peak around here.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 15 2019 :  03:24:36 AM  Show Profile
sharon, i hope your mom is doing better, prayers to you and your family. thank you for the ramps info, i will take a closer look at it. the jams sound lovely.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 20 2019 :  8:55:52 PM  Show Profile
Thank you girls for your thoughts and prayers. Mom had her 7th surgery on Friday and things are looking better. Today they were able to take care of things bedside instead of putting her under anesthesia. Things are finally looking up, her white blood cell count is normal, no signs of infection or dead tissue, she is in good spirits and looks good. This will be a long rehabilitation for her but she is on her way. I am so thankful. Mom has earned the nickname "Jokester" because she is constantly telling the doctors and nurses jokes :)

Lisa, I didn't know that your parents were dealing with health issues. I hope they are okay. I will be praying for them.

Sara, here is a link to the recipe I used. My batch came out a little weepy (easier to spread :)) but it is still tasty. I think that maybe my pears were a bit too ripe. https://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com/carrot-cake-jam-recipe/

Michele, you are welcome! Tomorrow we are taking a break and heading to Lake Superior, afterward we are going to hunt for ramps with plans to make the above recipe :)

So, I made some BBQ sauce. I used a recipe I got from PW's Tasty Kitchen site which has apple sauce in it. I played around and added apple cider (and a few other things :)). It is good but missing something. I didn't have time to play with it more as we had to visit mom at the hospital (it's an hour and a half travel each way). I ended up with 11 pints. Next time I will play around more. I was hoping for a richer, darker sauce but this will work and is better than storebought :)

Happy canning ladies :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on May 20 2019 8:57:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 21 2019 :  03:28:51 AM  Show Profile
sharon glad your mom is doing better. Enjoy your trip to the lake. I love going there. The jam recipe looks yummy, will have to give it a try. No canning going on here in Wisconsin. I did get tallow cooked down last week, but that went in the freezer. the rhubarb is growing like crazy now. Will have to get some of that picked. Enjoy!!

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 21 2019 :  06:48:23 AM  Show Profile
Michele, thank you!

I had to giggle when you said 'no canning going on, just rendering tallow" That is a feat in itself. Good for you!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 25 2019 :  06:33:14 AM  Show Profile
Pressured canned 4 pints corncob broth this morning and all sealed. Love that sound of lids sealing.

Have 4 chicken thighs and home dried port-a-bella and button mushrooms in slowcooker to can chicken mushroom broth in the morning. Also used home dried yellow onions. Dried veggies are so handy when I don't want to prep everything.

I'm a small batch canner so it's 4 pints a day.

I did get caught with not having enough spring water to cook second batch of chicken thighs tomorrow. So I put in an order to grocery store to be delivered today. I ordered 6 gal jugs so now I am ready for any thing I decide to can next week. I did have to order enough to make the $35 min but it was easy to do I just stocked up on sale items.

Go to Top of Page

Krissel
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Vicki
Sebring FLORIDA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - May 25 2019 :  07:40:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Krissel a Yahoo! Message
Sara you are an inspiration to me! So resourceful and getting it done! I love chicken rice soup, and sprinkle in some dried veggies! Hopefully you are having a wonderful weekend and able to see a parade!

Farmgirl#7588
Laughter makes the heart strong!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 25 2019 :  08:19:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Vicki for the sweet words.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 26 2019 :  05:43:48 AM  Show Profile
By 7:30 this morning I had 4 pints of chicken mushroom broth in pressure canner. I always check processing times for all ingredients when I am canning something I don't have a recipe for - I just added dried mushrooms to the chicken.

Process pints of chicken broth for 20 min - veg broth for 30 min so I am processing for 30 min. Can someone explain to me why veg broth is processed longer than meat base broth? Looks like to me it would be the other way around.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 27 2019 :  03:38:31 AM  Show Profile
Sara your a busy lady, bright and early in the morning. I am a morning person myself, so it is nice to get the work out of the way first thing. Makes no sense why vegetable broth should take longer then meat. Unless it would just be the difference in prep cook time? that is my best guess, lol. happy canning.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 27 2019 :  04:51:43 AM  Show Profile
Michele your guess makes sense to me. I like the quietness of early morning and I do my work while I still have energy which fades in the afternoon.

Overnight I cooked the 2nd batch of chicken thighs in slow cooker. Just onions and herbs - no mushrooms. First thing this morning I brought the broth into the house after I took the thighs out and strained it in Yellow Rose Cottage. It'll sit in the fridge until tomorrow morning. Taking a break from canning today.

I won't can them but in the next several days I hope to pickle eggs. Recipe from Preserving Italy cookbook. My sister brought me 10 of her banty eggs - perfect size for pickling. Sharing with my two sisters means they won't last long.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 28 2019 :  07:11:12 AM  Show Profile
This morning I canned 4 pints chicken broth with my homegrown green onions, rosemary, and thyme. All jars sealed.

Now to can dried beans in the coming days.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 29 2019 :  03:46:16 AM  Show Profile
pop, pop, pop, pop. We have had so much rain lately, can't even get the garden in. It has been cold too.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 29 2019 :  05:01:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry to hear that, Michelle.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 30 2019 :  10:25:17 AM  Show Profile
One of the things I like about small batch canning is I can experiment with new combinations and flavors with little cost. Today I have 4 chicken thighs in the slow cooker for broth. I added salt; fresh rosemary and 2 lemons. I cook a lot with rosemary and lemons so I thought why not do a chicken broth with both of them. Will let you know how I like it. Annie will like the thighs - she likes most of my cooking.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 30 2019 :  3:43:00 PM  Show Profile
The rosemary lemon chicken broth made a lite and tasty broth. I will have to use it before I know for sure I used the right amount of lemon. Two lemons may be a tad too much.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 31 2019 :  02:56:09 AM  Show Profile
lemon may brighten the flavor? I love adding zest to something. no plans right now to can anything myself. ok i could do another batch of broth, but won't. Will be checking fence, moving cows to pasture, and maybe till the garden. If we don't get rain tonight. happy canning

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 31 2019 :  03:27:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, Michele, your day wears me out before I even get started.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page