Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2017 :  12:59:27 PM  Show Profile
Raspberry jam here--nice fresh berries, low sugar jam. So delicious! Did strawberries earlier in the week. Berries are almost gone. My blueberry plants love where I moved them three years ago. Now, they are covered with fruit. Yeah!

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Back Door Farm Girls Chapter
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods

Edited by - Cissik on Jun 29 2017 1:00:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2017 :  1:20:54 PM  Show Profile
Your raspberry jam sounds yummy and must be beautiful.

This morning I canned 4 pints of large white lima beans. Have more dried beans to can but will take a couple of days off from canning to clean house and piddle.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2017 :  05:49:24 AM  Show Profile
Fingers crossed I will get some canning done this weekend! No garden produce yet, so I'm going to use this time between now and when tomatoes/cucumbers come on to do my jams and sauces and other misc. things. This weekend I'm going to try and do Indonesian Satay Sauce and Thai Chili Sauce. I also bought a bunch of gingerroot to make Pickled Ginger and some Candied Ginger.

I wanted to make some jam too but I think it will be a miracle if I make everything I've listed so far.

Next week the 10lb boxes of blueberries should be in at our Farmer's Market and I'll be getting a few of those and will do at least one batch of blueberry jam. (I freeze the rest)

And then it is count down to Sour Cherry picking!!! :) Soooo many plans for those this year!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2017 :  05:57:52 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, you have your work and fun cut out for you. Happy canning. The Thai and Indonesian sauces sound yummy.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2017 :  06:51:51 AM  Show Profile
Head hung in shame! I did NOTHING! We went to beach on Saturday and I got a really bad sunburn and told myself I'll can tomorrow...then DH took the tip of his finger off with a drill on Sunday which meant ER trip, etc. Uggghhhh!!!

Maybe next weekend!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2017 :  07:14:17 AM  Show Profile
I know how it feels to want to can and life gets in the way. Jaime good home treatment for sunburn is strong tea in cool bathwater and soak in it. I used 12 family size tea bags. Last time I had to use it my then teenage son called on way home from the lake "get the tea ready Mom". By morning the pain was almost gone and he had no blisters or peeling.

Yesterday I visited my sister, Betty the canner, and she told me how much she liked the convenience of home canned potatoes. A couple of ways she uses them are potato soup and in the oven with a roast. I have a 5lb bag of potatoes and I may can them this week. I told her I didn't like store can potatoes and she doesn't either but likes her home canned potatoes.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2017 :  10:52:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sara! I'm feeling much better now but will save that sun relief tip for later! I did manage to get some homemade yogurt done this weekend. BIL came to ER to take our 7 yr old home and called me back at some point to ask what was in the oven because the timer had gone off. I'd completely forgotten I had the yogurt in there! Thank goodness he was there to take the jars and put them in the fridge! Got two quarts and one pint out of the batch! Smells YUM!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  05:28:33 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, glad you are feeling better and your BIL saved your yogurt. Hope your DH's finger is healing.

Yesterday I put up 4 pints of russet potatoes.

Pork and rump roast are on sale this week - buy one get another for a penny. Will look through my canning books and see what I can do with either or both of the roasts. If I end up with 4 roasts I will be a busy & happy canner. Before when the store had the buy one get one for a penny sale on roast I couldn't take advantage of it because I didn't have room in my fridge's freezer. Now I can pressure can the meat and have pint jars of recipe ready meat in the pantry.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  06:16:19 AM  Show Profile
Sara - You are so awesome! I wish I could be braver and pressure can more meats. All I've done so far is pressure can chicken stock. I just get so nervous about anything I pressure can - am I doing it right? Will it be safe? I do follow all the instructions - to the letter - but I still worry. I worry about the things I water bath too. Maybe someday I'll get over that!

I'm going to call local "farmer's market" type store that is just across Michigan border from us that I can order sour cherries, pitted, from and place an order. I'm thinking 20 lbs should do it. Hoping to pick up those and boxes of blueberries at the same time!

And I'll let DH know that he is not allowed to further injure himself until I have all of that fruit in jars or in the freezer! lol
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  06:52:49 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, I worry too about pressure canning meats and like you I follow all directions. One thing that has helped me is my sister who has canned chicken for years with good results is my go to person for questions.

I have a 1950 Kerr's Canning Book and one of the things I learned from it is to wipe the top of the jars with white vinegar instead of water before putting on lids. I did it yesterday when canning potatoes and will do it for meats too. Anything I can to do make canning safer is what I want to do. I also plan to use the meat I can within a couple of months. All the canning books say to boil the canned food for 15 minutes before serving. That's another layer of safety.

My sister did tell me to watch the fat content. Too much fat and it may get under the seal of the lid causing the seal to fail. Same thing can happen when canning potatoes when the tiny pieces break off from the potatoes they can get under the lid during processing.

Great buy on pitted cherries.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2017 :  11:06:41 AM  Show Profile
I have been wanting to try canning meat but have been too afraid, so thanks for the extra tips Sara!

Yesterday I made and canned my first batch of Corn Relish. I can't wait to dig in and try it as it has been years, but couldn't resist when I found corn 10 for a dollar.

Jana

http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjcraftsstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2017 :  11:37:52 AM  Show Profile
Jana, great buy on the corn and I know your relish will be delish.

For lunch I opened a jar of my pressured canned lima beans and one of the potatoes. Both had a good seal but had small bubbles on the top. I googled bubbles in sealed jar and found this site that said it was okay - http://www.thekitchn.com/q-sent-by-95103

This morning I canned 3 pints of roast beef. I measured out 4 pints of cubed meat I had browned last night but didn't think about shrinkage during heating it up so I ended up with 3 pints. They all sealed and I will test tomorrow to see if seal held.

I have enough meat left to make 4 pints chili - I will start off with 5 pints and hopefully end up with 4. Have prepped onions/garlic/jalapeno pepper; measured out the seasonings; and water. A large can of tomatoes equals 3 1/2 cups so I will open the can in the morning - the recipe calls for 3 1/2 cups.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2017 :  12:23:35 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip on wiping jar tops with vinegar - brilliant!!! :)
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2017 :  10:13:30 AM  Show Profile
Pressured canned 4 pints roast beef chili this morning. Got a late start - 8 a.m. and before I finished it was 90 in the cottage - gotta get out there earlier if I want to can this summer.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  07:16:35 AM  Show Profile
Finally busted that canner out this weekend! Bought 40# of blueberries and while I cleaned/froze most of them I made a batch of Blueberry Cherry Cinnamon Jam!

And I canned some Pickled Ginger too :)

You can see below that it took every inch of counter/table space to dry the blueberries after cleaning! And I couldn't help include a pic of Tango wondering if he would like the taste of blueberries. I gave him one and he did eat it - lol!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  07:28:20 AM  Show Profile
Oh, what a bounty! Canned jars of goodness are always beautiful. Sweet picture of Tango. Glad he is making himself at home.

Not canning this week - have to get other things done but I am planning ahead. When I grocery shop tomorrow I'll pickup a pkg of split peas to make ham and pea soup when ham goes on sale. 1# of dried peas will make 4 pints - any left over will be for that day's lunch.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2017 :  06:10:54 AM  Show Profile
Froze 25 lbs of sour cherries last night! I'll be canning jams, preserves, etc. from them in the coming weekends - can't wait! I also froze just under 3 cups of cherry juice - I plan to use that to make my very first batch of jelly!
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2017 :  07:45:13 AM  Show Profile
I've made a few jars of strawberry preserves, so far. The true rush hasn't yet begun but it will be upon me all at once before you know it! I hope everyone is having a grand time.

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2017 :  07:50:42 AM  Show Profile
It looks like everyone is being productive with their summer harvest! Jaime, your blue berries look wonderful and Katie hang in there for your busy season. This weekend I started four quart jars of sauerkraut and made six pint jars of mixed fruit jam (applies, nectarines, cherries, pineapple, strawberries and blueberries), oh my goodness that turned out wonderful.

Jana

http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjcraftsstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2017 :  07:55:08 AM  Show Profile
Sounds amazing Jana!

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2017 :  2:37:00 PM  Show Profile
I purchased the electric water bath canner two years ago. Love how it works. Went to can with it year two and it failed, had to sent it back. New one arrived and I used it once last year. Now I'm doing pickles. During the first canning run, it stopped working. ARGH!! they want to send me another one. Has anyone had success with this machine?

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2017 :  05:45:04 AM  Show Profile
I've never even heard of an electric water bath canner! I'll have to go look it up. So sorry to hear about your troubles with it though.

Did my first half gallon jar of porch pickles last night! Not really canning, since they go in the fridge when they are done sitting in the sun. We have an extra fridge downstairs for pop, etc. and I will use that for the big jars of pickles I am able to do.
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2017 :  11:36:03 AM  Show Profile
Jaimie,
Tell me about porch pickles..... Just did the dills and the Claussen Style dills for the fridge.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2017 :  05:42:09 AM  Show Profile
Here is the recipe:

Porch Pickles

1 gallon glass jar with lid
Pickle sized cucumbers to fill the jar
2 T Pickling Spice
4 Cloves Large Garlic (also called Elephant Garlic), peeled and split/smashed with flat of knife
7 heads Fresh Dill
14 black peppercorns
Pinch alum
1/4 to 1/3 cup pickling/canning salt
2 cups water
1 cup white vinegar

Mix the water, vinegar and salt in a bowl and occasionally stir until salt is dissolved, this makes your brine.

Put half the pickling spices, garlic, dill heads, peppercorns in bottom of jar. Fill jar with cucumbers. Add the rest of the pickling spices, garlic, dill heads and peppercorn. Add pinch of alum. Fill jar with brine so that it comes to top and covers the cucumbers. Make more brine if necessary, although if I do I don’t add more salt, just keep the ratio of water to vinegar.

Put a piece of waxed paper over the jar opening and screw on the lid. Place outside in the sun for 3 days (I leave them overnight as well). Remove wax paper and rescrew on lid. Place in fridge. Pickles should be ready to eat within a couple of weeks. I’ve kept these for up to two years in the fridge. Should stay crisp for at least a year.

You can also halve the recipe for 1/2 gallon jars! :)

Edited by - AuntJamelle on Jul 28 2017 05:42:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2017 :  05:50:16 AM  Show Profile
Sylvia - what did you decide about the electric water bath canner? My youngest brother has one and swears by it!!! I prefer my old fashioned water bath canner ;) He tells me it is great for smaller batches, which I'm sure it is, but with my crew, a smaller batch means only two full canners worth, rather than 5, hahaha.

Canning hasn't been happening here :( My garden seems to be a flop this year and I haven't found any good produce sales. I'm hoping we get the opportunity to go to the Farmers Market tomorrow and get a look at what they might have. It is really difficult to have such an empty cold storage room and jars with it being the end of July! It is actually quite stressful. We knew this year would be a learning year for us, but ouch! Not sure what we are going to do yet, as our garden produce is usually our source of produce for the winter!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen:  What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page