YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2017 :  12:02:20 PM  Show Profile
Sara, come on over. One thing about Texas there's always room for one more. Apricot jam - yummy.

Today I made a list of things I want to dry; to water bath can; and to pressure can. Forgot about fermenting so will have to make a list for that. I want to keep in mind how I want to preserve something so when I see it in the store or Farmer's Market I will know how much to buy. I am a small batch preserver so it's easy for me to overbuy if I'm not careful.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2017 :  2:43:37 PM  Show Profile
Always have to smile when I see people posting here in June and early July, here we just put garden in last weekend.

Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2017 :  11:33:34 AM  Show Profile
Rae we do learn about gardening in other parts of the country from our FarmGirl sisters.

I fired up my 10qt pressure canner for the first time this morning. Had less then a pound of dried cranberry beans - yielded 3 pints. Four pints or quarts are max in canner. Next time I will have a pound. I'm looking forward to having a pantry full of pint jars of home canned heirloom dried beans.

Canning for one is definitely different than canning for a family.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  10:06:52 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I'm glad you mentioned small batch canning, because I wanted to recommend my new favorite cookbook which I found in Costco: the Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving by Topp and Howard. It has so many creative recipes in it, and it gives a person a chance to try something new without going 7 qts in and finding out it wasn't such a good recipe after all. Plus, on days like today when I have a kitchen full of ripe apricots, 20 jars of jam already put up and the dehydrator full and running, I can think about trying a little bit of something different. For example, for my apricots I can choose from Apricot Grand Marnier Conserve, Apricot Honey Butter, Apricot Hot Pepper Jelly, Gingered Pear Apricot Conserve, Red Pepper Apricot Chutney, Rhubarb Date and Apricot Chutney, or Winter Pear and Apricot Jam!! Plus, in the back there is a section for using the preserves, like marinades, smoothies and sauce for chicken from the apricots. I highly recommend the book!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  10:36:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara, I'll check the book out. The apricot hot pepper jelly really sounds good to me.

Fresh green beans are on sale so I bought some today. Hope to put up 16 pints in the next several days. I usually don't do that many pints at one time but it was too good of a deal to pass up. They should last me until Thanksgiving. Already have one batch washed, trimmed, and cut. Will try to do all prepping for all batches today then can tomorrow & Wed.

I opened one of the pints I put up yesterday to make sure I like canned dried beans and I do. I ordered a pound each of seven different heirloom dried beans to put up. In the weeks ahead I will put up the beans.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  3:08:16 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have canning day traditions or rituals? I came up with this question as I was lunching on my traditional peanut butter and fresh fruit sandwich after making jam today. I have a tradition of slicing up some of the fruit I'm working with and laying it on a piece of bread (preferably fresh from the oven, depending on the weather and work load of the day) slathered in peanut butter. Today it was sliced apricots. My favorite is sliced fresh strawberries. So fresh and yummy!

My mother also taught me to thank each jar out loud as I hear their seals pop tight. :-)
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  3:35:59 PM  Show Profile
I haven't a ritual as fun as your peanut butter and fruit sandwich. The only thing I do that comes close to a tradition is before I go to bed the night before I make sure my kitchen is clean and every thing is in it's place. Even though I can in the cottage I want my kitchen straight. The cottage is always set up for canning so I don't have to worry about it.

I prepped all the green bean batches while watching TV during my rest times. This is the way my day goes - I work - I rest - I work a little more and rest a whole lot more - got the idea.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  07:01:31 AM  Show Profile
That is the one tradition I never did pick up well. Actually, I didn't pick up any cleaning very well! I should really make that a goal.

Good luck with the green beans!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  07:02:55 AM  Show Profile
BTW, I don't recommend the peanut butter and green bean sandwich, but if you do try it please let us know how it is!! :-)
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  08:30:32 AM  Show Profile
I think you're right about skipping the green bean peanut butter sandwich.

I finished the first batch of green beans around 9a.m. - all went well. I added fresh Mexican oregano to each jar. Then MS fatigue dropped on me so I have gone to plan B for the second batch. I will blanch and dry the green beans for winter soups. If the fatigue lifts tomorrow I will can the other two batches - if not I will either give the beans away; dry; or ferment. I like having options when I have veggies to preserve because I never know what the day will bring.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2017 :  08:33:19 AM  Show Profile
Sara, so much admiration from me for a person who stands up to things like MS and dives into life with gusto in the face of it. Thank you for being a strong role model!

I hope the beans went well. I always put mine up as dilly beans, and we snack on them or serve as appetizers year round.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2017 :  10:29:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara for your sweet words that encourage me. Each of us that deal with a chronic disease learns early on we either let it define us or we take charge of our lives and live it to the best we can each and everyday. In faith on good days I make memories - on bad days I remember those good times and look to tomorrow.

Edited by - YellowRose on Jun 14 2017 10:30:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2017 :  11:03:36 AM  Show Profile
Beautifully put Sara!!!!

As far as canning - not much happening here right now. The middle of next week, our Farmers Market should finally open! I'm looking forward to buying local veggies... and hopefully my own garden will be producing by then.

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2017 :  1:29:24 PM  Show Profile
Today I pressured canned four pints heirloom dried Moro beans. They're a cross between black and pinto beans.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  08:13:39 AM  Show Profile
This morning I pressured canned four pints cranberry dried beans. Thunder storms moved through a little before five so the cottage was cool this morning and I didn't need the fan. Would like to have more mornings like this one.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  08:23:28 AM  Show Profile
Sara, are they beans something you are growing and drying?

Jana

http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjcraftsstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  08:39:38 AM  Show Profile
No Jana, I order them on-line from a heirloom bean company. https://www.ranchogordo.com/ I really like beans but cooking for one has been a challenge for me on how to deal with a pot of beans. Up until I got my little 10 qt pressure canner I froze individual servings of beans. Took up a lot of room in my refrigerator freezer. One pound of dried beans makes four pints. Perfect for my canner and I can get two to three meals out of a pint.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  08:46:50 AM  Show Profile
Wholly cow, I have never seen so many varieties of beans! Thanks for sharing, but one more question...how do you pressure cook/dry can them and how long do they last?

Jana

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  09:29:40 AM  Show Profile
They last for a year.

Basic recipe from Mrs Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry Cookbook:
soak the beans over night
drain - rinse -
Cover with non-chlorine water - add 2 bay leaves
bring to simmering boil for thirty minutes
put coriander in large bowl
drain beans - remove bay leaves
fill jars with beans to inch of top of jar
add bean broth to cover
process per pressure canner instructions for 75 minutes

The recipe I follow calls for no salt - it's added when beans are used.

Yesterday when I finished canning I had all this bean broth left over and as I threw it out I thought there has to be something I can to with it. Today I used it as the base of veg soup. Turned out really good. From now on I will save the bean broth until I have enough to can 4 pints to use in soups and chili. I have a recipe for canning veg broth so I will follow it.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  09:41:31 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Sara for the instruction and added info. I am definitely going to try this!

Jana

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  09:46:47 AM  Show Profile
Jana if you like I can copy the recipe for you and mail it - e-mail your snail address to me. I would feel better if you had the printed recipe to follow than just my memory of what I did this morning.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  09:54:44 AM  Show Profile
Thank you and yes. I just emailed you through MGJ.

Jana

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2017 :  06:42:58 AM  Show Profile
This morning I pressured canned 4 pints of beef broth I made yesterday.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2017 :  11:59:37 AM  Show Profile
Over the last couple of days I have pressured canned 3 pints each of seasoned ground angus chuck and pork chop curry. Will have to work on buying enough meat for 4 pints.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2017 :  11:26:39 AM  Show Profile
This morning I pressured can 4 pints pinto beans. Didn't get started until 8a.m. and it was 80 degrees in the cottage before I finished. Will have to get an earlier start - 5 a.m. - 6 a.m. would be good.

Had bean broth and less than a cup of beans left over so I made soup and put a pint of the angus ground chuck I canned the other day in it. So my canning plan is working and I have the convenience of can meat to use in recipes.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page