Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic muscle spasms Next Topic  

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - May 10 2015 :  6:15:55 PM  Show Profile
Farmgirls, I need a little advice on what to do about muscle spasms.

Back in December, I injured my knee (partially torn meniscus and some lateral muscles). It took months of healing and I just stopped wearing my brace 2 weeks ago.

I can feel my knee getting stronger. But, now the muscles all around my knee spasm....almost like birthing contractions. The spasms come in waves and increase in intensity.

The little bit of research I've done has indicated that this is common and normal with healing knee injuries. There is also indication that I may need to increase electrolytes, etc...

That's where y'all come in. Any advice on herbs, vitamins or other things I can do to ease the pain and/or decrease the spasms?

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - May 11 2015 :  02:23:26 AM  Show Profile
Potassium and magnesium are often the two needed electrolytes for muscle spasms. A lot of people will say eat more bananas... I think because they are convenient, though they are really not that high in potassium. Baked potatoes (with the skin) are pretty high, as is seaweed, if you like sushi. There is a product called "natural Calm" that has a lemony flavor that you mixin water, that is high in magnesium. Blackstrap molasses is also a great way to get both. Eggshell water is my go to during pregnancy, which is when I seem to struggle with it the most. (As in now, lol). Hth

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 11 2015 :  04:29:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi Catherine, I use an essential oil blend made by Young Living for arthritis pain, which I've had for years, and any time I get any kind of muscle or joint pain. It's a topical, you just put a few drops on and rub it in, and it really works great. Its kind of pricey, though, but if you'd like to try it, I have a bottle with just a little bit left that I'd be happy to send you so you could try it. A little bit goes a long way, just a couple of drops is what I use. I just got a new bottle, so if you'd like me to send the other one, email me your address, and I'll get it out as soon as I can. Hopeyou feel better soon!

Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - May 11 2015 :  05:00:03 AM  Show Profile
Amy - was wondering which oil it is... When you say it is pain, I automatically thinkPanaway, but didn't realize it would help with muscle spasms. I would be interested in trying it, if that is what it is, as I have some already!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6836 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6836 Posts

Posted - May 11 2015 :  08:38:07 AM  Show Profile
Shannon, I'm interested in your eggshell water. Please share your recipe.

For the last 10 years I have kept night leg cramps away by eating plain old yellow mustard on sandwiches several times a week. Many seniors around here swear that a spoonful of yellow mustard taken when night leg cramps hits stops it. So I decided to just take it during the week rather than waking with the leg cramps.

Catherine I don't know if yellow mustard will help with your knee spasms but it may be worth a try.

Yellow mustard has turmeric in it. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties.

Have a blessed day, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - May 11 2015 :  1:10:18 PM  Show Profile
I would second the suggestion to the "Natural Calm" drink. I've been using it for everything from muscle spasms/restless legs, to migraines and more. It's a great source of magnesium and doesn't taste terrible.

The cheapest I've seen it is on Amazon. You can get it in different flavors. I just got the sample flavor pack at our local health foods store to see which flavor I'd like best. I've only had the Raspberry Lemonade so far and that's nice.

Hope that helps! :)

Farmgirl Hugs!

~April
River Valley Farmgirls
Chapter Leader

~Playing in the Sonshine~
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 11 2015 :  5:26:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey Shannon, yep it's Panaway. I don't know if it's supposed to work on muscle spasms, but I use it whenever I have any joint or muscle issues, and it always helps. I'd give it a shot as long as it's safe to use when you're expecting.

Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - May 16 2015 :  06:16:33 AM  Show Profile
Lobelia topically is what comes to mind foremost. In addition to making sure that you are getting plenty of magnesium, calcium and potassium.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://rachelsmithhhp.com

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - May 16 2015 :  08:35:06 AM  Show Profile
Sorry ladies! Directions are to crush 8 rinsed egg shells in the bottom of a quart jar. Pour 4 cups of hot water on top, cover, and let cool. Strain it into a clean jar and put it in the fridge, sipping from it throughout the day. It will last 3-4 days in the fridge.

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - May 16 2015 :  08:39:00 AM  Show Profile
I was just reading the other day that a lot of leg cramps are caused due to a deficiency in calcium and magnesium, so Cal-mag is a great supplement. With that said, you can also make a tea that helps and drink it... Ingredients are 1/4 C alfalfa (do not use if family history of lupus!), 1/3 C oat straw, 1/8 C mint and sweetener to taste.... use about 2 tsp of the herb mixture in a cup of water, seeping for 5-10 minutes. This one is my new "go to" tea right now!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6836 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6836 Posts

Posted - May 16 2015 :  09:38:29 AM  Show Profile
Twenty some odd years ago when I worked at a auto glass plant I was taken to the hospital because they thought I was having a heart attack. Turned out to be heat stress. ER doctor told me that heat leached calcium from women's bones more than it did men. I was told to eat a banana a day, drink Gatorade, along with plenty of water during the summer.

During the summer I keep Gatorade powder on hand in case I start to feel the affects of heat.

Have a blessed day, Sara ~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic muscle spasms Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page