Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Weather Report
 Fall finally settled in, Winter is close behind.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Weather Report: Previous Topic Fall finally settled in, Winter is close behind. Next Topic  

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2014 :  2:59:44 PM  Show Profile
Yup - I know it is almost November, but we've had such decent weather the last couple of months. Weatherman says we could have snow on Halloween. Brrrr.
Today was kind of cloudy and windy. You could feel the bite in the air. It won't be long before winter shows up. I am hoping it holds off a little bit longer. I've enjoyed not having to use the furnace or even the fireplace.
I also hope for everyone's sake, we do NOT have a winter like last year. Far too cold for far too long.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4727 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4727 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2014 :  4:01:54 PM  Show Profile
We felt that bite here in the Chicago area too. Looked a little like a snow sky this afternoon. So much for the near 80's temperatures. We can't complain though, it was a gorgeous autumn!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2014 :  4:45:40 PM  Show Profile
We have been having days in the 80+ range the past week but a cold front is coming on Saturday which will be our first big chill down! Actually, I am looking forward to it as it was a very long and miserably hot and humid summer!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  03:12:31 AM  Show Profile
They said on the news last night that we might have our first snow on Saturday! No big surprise here - almost every year since we moved here, we have had our first snow fall on Halloween! I'm ready! I just wish my husband, and son, on the weekends, didn't have to drive so far to work. They're ride is an hour and one-half to two hours each way, depending upon traffic. Add in inclement weather and I get butterflies until they arrive home at the end of the day! Stay safe! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  10:48:50 AM  Show Profile
We had some snow then it melted. We had some rain and I still have a lake in my south pasture. The horses and goats have their fuzzy winter coats. I try not to over groom them, but but I do knock the dried mud off once in awhile. We moved an unused dog house up to the front porch for the kitties. I didn't have any extra straw so my DH put a flake of hay in it for warmth until I get the straw. They LOVE it. AND I don't know about all of you, but I absolutely love to pick up the kitties and smell them. I know 'weirdo'! But they smell like hay - fresh clean hay. I love it!!!! Our English Shepherd pup loved playing in the snow with her mama. They ran all over the yard. She was one tired puppy when they finally came back in the house.

On a slightly sour note - We cannot use our fireplace now. We had been using to ward off the chill in the air before finally deciding we had to use the furnace. We were doing great until last Friday. We were cleaning house and I noticed some smoke where there shouldn't have been any. I made my husband go in the crawl space and check. Yup - the mortar had deteriorated and some embers had gotten in between the floor joist and the foundation blocks and charred the wood. I nearly flipped my lid! I poured water from the topside and he shot it with a fire extinguisher from the bottom side when the water stopped dripping. Needless to say - fireplace is off limits until we get someone to fix the mortar and install a fully enclosed insert. That makes 3 fires - 2011 - the whole house, 2013 - the 1 year old furnace and 2014 - the fireplace. Enough already!! Thankfully, we were home to stop the last two before any damage was done.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic Fall finally settled in, Winter is close behind. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page