Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2017 :  09:10:53 AM  Show Profile
Sad pet news in my families. My sister in law has several dogs and a cat. One of them is older and while we stayed with them would become agitated and attack the cat or other dogs. She bit our Tina and another dog slightly, but recently savaged the cat's leg. Unfortunately they had to put the cat down & my sister in law is still upset. She wants to find another home for this dog where there won't be other animals.
My mom & dad's older dog, Maggie, went to dog heaven. She'd been declining and they decided that the time had come.
It is so sad to lose our pets, so hug your dog or cat today.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2017 :  12:03:57 PM  Show Profile
So sorry Vanessa to hear this. We have had to say good by to 6 beloved fur children over the years.

Also sorry to hear about the cat and the other dog. Being pet parents means we have to make hard decisions sometimes. My thoughts are with you today.

TW

The fun begins where the pavement ends!
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2017 :  08:50:24 AM  Show Profile
I hope your SIL finds a good home for the other dog. Is it possible the dog has a thyroid issue? I am sorry about the kitty. Do your parents have a couple other dogs besides Maggie or just one? If it's just one, the left behind dog may be feeling lonely.
The weather here is weird. Kind of windy and stormy today. Supposed to be colder tomorrow. My mom's back keeps hurting her and I went over there at about 3:00 yesterday and she still hadn't fixed lunch so I fixed a pizza for them. She wants to go to the store today so I told her to call me if she doesn't feel like driving and I can get groceries. I am glad my brothers will be here at Thanksgiving. My mom's health seems to be declining and it worries me.
I have been checking out resources for people with low income (right now I am only receiving half my normal pay) and I have found a program that helps pay for medications and also another food pantry. I need to check out a program that helps pay for utilities. I have found that if my dr. does not allow me to return to work, I can keep my insurance for a while as long as I pay the premiums, but I will lose my meager income in February. I will probably end up getting back on disability. I was on it for over ten years back in the 80's and 90's. I have been working full time since 1999 but just barely managing to hold down a job. My absenteeism rate is about 20%. I would have lost my job a long time ago if not for FMLA and protections under the ADA. I am having such a hard time focusing and concentrating that I can't even take any classes (I had thought about learning an entirely new field) plus I have trouble learning a new job. It's an inability to use information I have just learned. I've been like most of my life. It's pretty obvious I can't work 40 hours a week and at what I could earn if I worked, say, 20 hours a week, it's not considered substantial, gainful employment. I also am having trouble remembering things. The other day, I was applying for a program and could not remember the name of my employer. No, there is nothing wrong with my brain, I think it's just a lack of good quality sleep and the effects of this illness that I have. I still don't have that mouthpiece I need for the sleep apnea. Waiting for the insurance to approve it. Hurry up and wait, seems to be the name of the game.
I got a three pound butterball turkey breast and a free Thanksgiving dinner from the food pantry yesterday. I fixed the stuffing yesterday for lunch. Have some left over. It's pretty good for something that comes from a box. I am learning to appreciate cheap food. I think eating organic is wonderful but honestly, lots of people cannot afford to eat that way. Even boxed macaroni and cheese can be made more healthy by adding things to it. If you add a can of peas and some canned tuna or chicken, it not only tastes better but is healthier as well.
Hope everyone has a great day.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

I'll be Thelma. You be Louise.

Caught somewhere between girl on fire and girl on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Choosy moms choose Prozac.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2017 :  1:09:40 PM  Show Profile
I called my mom after I heard about Maggie's death. She said that Duchess was told about it and knew that she had to stay home. Mom said that Duchess is okay. I will be visiting with Mitzi next week so that may make her feel better. Mom said that Duchess will be their last dog. Mom is 77 and Dad is 81. They are making plans for the end. They do not want to burden us children with a lot of stuff that people forget to do at the end.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2017 :  1:30:35 PM  Show Profile
My SIL lives in a small town & the vets there probably wouldn't be that advanced. Like my parents, they'll probably not get more pets.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2017 :  5:21:48 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Sorry for the loss of the pets. It is sad to lose someone who listens without judgement.

We have had cold snowy days and very windy nights. I would like the sun to come out soon.

I have been making grain bag bags. I thought my sewing machine was not strong enough to put the needle through the plastic and then figured out I just needed to put in a new needle. hahahaha

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2017 :  05:35:41 AM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear about the loss of your pets. I know it is hard to lose them.
It has been very cold here, but is supposed to warm up slightly for Thanksgiving Day. No snow yet.
I am trying to get some Christmas presents finished. Every year I make a cross stitch ornament for each grandchild so they will have a collection when they start their own homes. Two are finished, the last is about half way. Am also trying to finish a cross stitch stocking for my sweet son-in-law. We'll spend Christmas with the grandbabies this year and have a late Christmas with our daughter and her husband after we get back.
I go to their house today for five days of puppysitting while they go to Phoenix to visit his family. His grandmother is 98 and he is kind of anxious to see her. I know they will have a wonderful time. DD said his family there are all very nice and fun. DH will come up on Thanksgiving and we'll have dinner at one of the restaurants not far from her house.
Hope everyone is doing well.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2017 :  4:32:11 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

No school today. A cold blustery day all day long.

The hunters who use our property have taken off two deer this hunting season. An eight pointer and a four pointer. They were so full of adrenaline when they showed us the deer. They put up trail cameras to see what deer were out in the woods. They said they have pictures of seven buck. We do not have doe season during rifle season. The men and their families will eat all of the meat.

I have been sewing grain bag bags. I found that if I put in a new needle it will go through the layers. I had thought I needed a stronger machine but a new needle works great.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2017 :  4:38:05 PM  Show Profile
Karin-- I hope you enjoy puppy sitting. Holly--those deer hunters sound like they are pumped up. I am having a few issues posting. Wishing everyone a happy Thanksgiving.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Caught somewhere between girl on fire and girl on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2017 :  07:11:22 AM  Show Profile
I am at my parents' place in Wisconsin for Thanksgiving. We will be leaving later today. I wish we could stay one more night. Mom has lost some hearing. She has what she calls an amplifier in her ear. We have to speak directly to her in order for her to hear. My dad doesn't use a hearing aid because the background noise in restaurants becomes very uncomfortable. He looks much more healthy than Mom does.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2017 :  08:34:12 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone,

C has hearing aids now, has fro about 6 months. She really likes them. They are adjustable for noise. One ear adjusts for volume and the other for extra noise, I think. She did not recognize how deaf she was until she could hear again.

Cat on my lap makes typing a little challenging. Her name is Birdseed. So, guess what colors she is.

I made the crusts for the pies this morning. DdK made a cherry pie and C made two pumpkin from the pumpkins that dsC grew last summer. I made pie crust rolls as well. We are having some sort of roast beef for dinner.

I hope you all have moments of joy today.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2017 :  2:29:14 PM  Show Profile
The weather here is too warm for this time of year. I am starting to feel depressed. It always happens when we have these long, dark evenings.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2017 :  3:07:03 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, sit in any sunlight you can find. It will help you feel better.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2017 :  4:13:04 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

The weather here was dark and snowy for the last three days. Today the sun was out for several hours and it was lovely. We closed on a condo we were selling today. That was very nice. While we were sitting in the meeting waiting our turn I looked out one window and it was raining to beat the band. I looked out the other window of the corner and it was not raining and there was blue sky. Weird.

Keep moving, Cindy. Take Jaxon for a long walk. Moving helps. I guess you know that. hugs to you.

We have enough snow to cover the grass. We lost a little to the rain today. We could use a lot more snow. I think that if we do not have pretty flowers or pretty leaves we should have pretty snow.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2017 :  06:14:58 AM  Show Profile
Wow---snow seems so far away right now. Last year we didn't get our first snow till the middle of January. That was our latest first snow ever. I am dealing with the depression by writing songs and making what I call inspiration cards. I take index cards and write a few song lyrics on them and decorate them. I just downloaded a music keyboard app so now I can pretend to play the piano. I am starting to think that the bad stuff that happened in August and September was really a blessing in disguise cause it seems to have fueled my creative tendencies. I know that I somehow changed back in September even though I don't know how or why. But I am not the same anymore. I still have all the same problems but I am dealing with them differently than before.
My mom is in a grumpy mood. I can only use my tablet at their place cause I don't have wi if at my house. I am watching the news and I am feeling bad for all these guys who are alleged serial gropers, etc. I feel badly for the women but I liked some of those men. Nobody is perfect and women can also sexually demean men but so far we haven't heard anything about that. Some people just don't respect the opposite sex, it's not just men. If I had a dollar for every time a man made a lewd comment to me I would be rich. Even in junior high we had a teacher who ogled the girls and tried to look down their dresses. Everyone knew about it but nothing was ever done. I am glad times have changed but I hope it doesn't go too far. I have learned to let crude comments slide off my back but if a man touches me inappropriately, he's liable to get slapped. And I don't care who he is.
I am sure we all have strong feelings about this subject. What bothers me more than anything is when men stare at women. Now THAT is truly creepy. It is supposed to get colder next week,down to about twenty degrees at night. I like days when the temperature doesn't get above fifty degrees. Maybe I am weird cause everyone else wants it to be sixty all winter. I don't think so.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2017 :  10:42:08 AM  Show Profile
I had an amazing insight last night. Lowell and I have had some big arguments about certain things that happened such as driving away instead of waiting for me to take me on errands. When we calmed down, we had a heart to heart and identified things we could do differently next time. I realized last night that because of this heart to heart, I do not feel the desire to bring this, or any, incident from the past up as a way to hurt him. This desire I had is called an attachment or an illusion by the Buddhists. By letting go of these attachments and illusions, one comes closer to enlightenment. Realizing that one has let go, is a very powerful feeling.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2017 :  4:01:25 PM  Show Profile
Marie---also, by letting go, you are opening yourself to the possibility of receiving a blessing. You can't receive a gift if you are still holding tight to yesterday's issues. I am glad you and Lowell are communicating. It seems so hard to have a heart to heart discussion in today's world. Technology is wonderful when it is used appropriately but sometimes it seems to hinder real communication. I like writing songs cause people have short attention spans and it gets your message across quickly and sounds good to boot.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2017 :  4:41:14 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Letting go is an amazing piece of empowerment. Looking for a solution instead of a persistence is a big step forward.

We received our ACORN catalog and some place in it says "Medicated and Motivated" here I thought you were being clever and original, now I think still clever but not original. hahaha

A lovely overcast chilly day. I made cinnamon rolls this morning/ Tomorrow is a cookie swap. I am not sure if I will go because we are getting our pork back from the butcher and the people who get pork from us will pick it up. I would like to visit with some of them.

C took some of the children to the pie breakfast at the school. It is a fundraiser for the meals program so they can buy local food from the local farms.

In the afternoon we brought over hay from the other barn. Not a very exciting day but not stressful.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2017 :  6:55:04 PM  Show Profile
The "medicated and motivated" comes from a calendar I had several years ago. I think it was Ann Taintor. She is funny---my favorite of hers is "a real friend helps you hide the body." Hahaha. I have never heard of a pie breakfast but it sounds yummy. We had our concert tonight and it went well. There is another free concert tomorrow at another church. I can only afford free ntertainment.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  4:07:29 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I saw the moon set this morning. A friend told me it was a super moon last night. Our house faces west not east and we have many trees behind us so we do not see east. In the past I have gone into town to see the moon rise over the mountains and to take pictures. When we went to bed last night we had cloud cover by sunrise the clouds had moved on. We had a lovely sunny bright blue sky all day long. Temperatures must have risen into the forties.

I am glad you are enjoying the choir.

The little boys are being loud and very active tonight. I can hardly wait for 8 o'clock when it is lights out.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  8:23:33 PM  Show Profile
My shoulder has been achy lately so I've resolved to start up my yoga exercise again. DH learned of a stem cell treatment that can fix his bum knee: if only our military insurance covers it.
I've been to several holiday bazaars & it has whetted my interest in making & selling. It thought of items nobody else was selling; something lightweight, easy to make, & impulse oriented. So far, dog treats and maybe towels would be a good seller. I have a dehydrator so I'll try out meat snacks and fruit snacks. If I can plant raspberries, blueberries,& strawberries I'll have a natural source.
I'm still waiting for DH to find his passion (in a hobby). He's talking about fixing our car's brakes, but I'm not enthusiastic.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2017 :  09:32:49 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon,

I spent the morning childfree yesterday. I went to two craft sales. I bought some scented sugar face wash for my daughter. Most of the other merchandise was the regular stuff. Hats, photographs and tchotchkes. I am thinking I should get a table at one of the fairs next year. Ahhh but then I would need to focus and produce. hahaha

We had a couple of inches of snow on the ground when I woke up. The temperatures are in the low 30's. Quite balmy.

Have a good afternoon,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2017 :  06:50:44 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Holly for your card. You take beautiful pictures. I have never been good at taking pictures. We may get some flurries tonight but no snow yet. I took Jaxon to get his Christmas photo taken yesterday. Let's just say the liver treats came in very handy. It is supposed to be in the upper fifties today then only in the mid thirties tomorrow. I colored my hair last night--auburn brown-red. This stupid auto correct put America for came in handy. Hey you silly I pad, I know what I am saying. I hate it when I am trying to type a poem and it keeps "correcting" it. Poetry isn't meant to be correct.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2017 :  5:09:14 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today has been the coldest day of the season so far. We hit a chilly 13 degrees during the day. We have received 7 inches of snow so far. It makes the fields and forests so pretty. The cows are not happy that their browse has been covered. It is interesting watching them paw down into the snow.

Tonight there are supposed to be meteor showers. We have significant cloud cover.

I hope you are all well and happy.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2017 :  05:15:23 AM  Show Profile
We have snow and it poses only a small obstacle for transportation. It is the icy patches beneath that can be tricky. The bus stop I use is located right next to a city bike trail so I have to get out into the street to get on the bus. I really depend on the lift of the curb to get me onto the bus and I can't depend on it here.

I have gotten so little done for the holidays. I am so tired. Our apartment has an exclusively northern exposure. This does not help me at all. Someday I will have a room with sunlight in it.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page