Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic
Page: of 408

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2016 :  3:37:01 PM  Show Profile
Jaxon wouldn't eat this morning. I managed to get him to take a pill pocket with a codeine tablet in it. then I had to go to work. When I got home, he still hadn't eaten anything. I coated two of the codeine tablets with peanut butter (the vet said I could give him two if necessary) and he took them. He seemed more comfortable after that. I put on some healing music for him, and ran to the store to get some Nutri-Cal. It is a gel that can stimulate a dog's appetite and get him eating again. It is also high in calories. He took some of that. He was licking the carpet and licking his feet, so that's a good sign. He can't hold his licker :)
I got the yard mowed yesterday. I bought some organic potting soil ( a big bag) on clearance and plan to use it for my fall garden. I will try growing beets, carrots, spinach, kale, and lettuce. Hopefully I'll have more luck this time. The pie was good. I took some to my parents and they enjoyed it. I hope everyone isn't mad at me. I never intentionally did anything to hurt Marilyn so I don't know why she wanted to hurt me. I think she probably misunderstands a lot fo the things I've posted on here, as I'm not always as clear as I should be. Oh well, it's her issue. we all have 'em.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog on Tumblr: eclecticstarlightcollectorbluff
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2016 :  5:30:25 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

The car thermometer read 63 F this evening. Temperatures must have been in the high seventies with a nice breeze. Except for power surges I hardly sweat today.

We have a choke cherry bush. It has a lovely scent in the spring, then the flowers turn to berries. When they are black they are ripe and the birds sweep in a clear the bush in two days. On that bush I saw and took a picture of my first Cedar Waxwing.

I think a nice piece of warm plum pie with vanilla ice cream would be delicious.

Have a great visit with the grands. I am glad you are not tied so tightly to you piece of land that you can travel.

I would like to reccommend to all of you a book called Being Mortal. Maybe I have already. It is about growing old in the United States. The author is Atul Gawande.

DsR is here to read so I will sign off.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2016 :  9:52:08 PM  Show Profile
Jaxon is doing better! He went for a walk tonight but still wouldn't touch his food. I went to the store to get him some baby food and a special water bottle...when I got home he had eaten all his supper! It took a bit of effort but he finally drank some water. He seems in much less pain. He was hurting when I got home today---back was hunched, shoulders sunken--now he's walking about normal as possible and wagging his tail. such a good dog! I put two more of the codeine in a pill pocket and he ate that. He seems pretty comfortable now.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2016 :  07:13:50 AM  Show Profile
I have been busy doing more landscaping in the heat. It takes about 3 time longer to get things done, but that is when we can do it. Today we were all set to add more stabilizers to the rv. We ordered a new awning, but it has not arrived yet. It is taking shape around here.
Cindy, so glad that Jaxon is perking up some. Praying he continues to improve.
Marie, the water I make at night and let it steep in the refrigerator overnight. As I pour a glass of it, I add more water to keep the pitcher filled. It lasts about 3 days before I make another batch. In order for it to be effective, you should drink at least 4 glasses a day. Helps me a lot, but then I get tired of drinking so much water, I always end up giving up on it.
Holly, What do you do with the choke cherries? Just let the birds eat them? Sounds like it would make a good jam. I planted a lemon tree from seed a few months ago, it is now close to 5 feet tall. It has big thorns on it, which I thought was strange, but I looked at the trees at a garden center, and they have thorns on theirs also. Very prickly. I also planted some pear trees, but they are taking longer to grow. I am not sure how they will do here, it may be too hot. I like to experiment.
Have a great day,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2016 :  08:56:20 AM  Show Profile
My Mitzi is at the vet office getting ready for her surgery. She should be finished around 4:00. When I took her in, she knew something big was going to happen. She will have to wear a "cone of disgrace" afterwards. Poor girl.

I had a great time at my parents. My dad, brother and I stayed up until 3:00 Monday morning talking about our past family life. I was able to say some important things to my dad that were rather uncomfortable to say. We were helped by some self medication.

It was so good to see the older of my brothers after about a decade.

I took some pictures on the land.

Deer tracks were all over the forest. They do not come close to the house. Mom says she sees the same doe and faun several times a week. They have a bedding spot in the woods.

I found this large red cap.

This is the ruin of an old spring house on the hill above my parents' house. The spring is nearby and they haven't allow it to run because it would cause problems in the house. I am standing on the deer path. The front edge of the house is across that path.

These are some interesting fungi. They have a flower-like tip on them. I couldn't resist taking the picture.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2016 :  10:08:54 AM  Show Profile
Nice pictures Marie. I love nature of any sorts. Glad you had a great time with your family.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2016 :  3:42:49 PM  Show Profile
I hope Mitzi is now out of surgery and doing well. Boxer had to wear the cone of disgrace once but I would take it off when I walked him. Didn't want to embarrass him in front of the other dogs.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2016 :  4:29:01 PM  Show Profile
Marie the white "fungus" is not a fungus but a plant--often mistaken for a fungus. It's common name is Indian Pipe or ghost plant http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/indian_pipe.htm
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2016 :  5:28:09 PM  Show Profile
Mitzi is back. She's a little wobbly on her legs. She has to take some pain medication (which I already have) and some antibiotics. Lowell took the cone off her head because he felt sympathy for her. We will be watching her so she doesn't start messing with her stitches.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2016 :  6:25:40 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I am not sure what Mitzi had done to her but if she worries her stitches you could take gauze and wrap it around a paw and then cover it with silver tape. She should worry it instead of her stitches.

Jan, How is your breathing now that you are in the warmer climate. I was at some store and there was an oxygen condenser. I am not sure if that is the right name or not. I looked at the price and recognized that it was very expensive. I thought I hope Jan did not have to pay that much.
How do the property taxes work where you are? If you do not own the land but are making improvements to the property how does that work. Will the park owners raise your rent?

I hope Jaxon feels better soon.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2016 :  7:15:00 PM  Show Profile
Well, thanks Holly. I am afraid that will not work because she got the surgery on the business part of her butt.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  4:58:17 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I puttered around this morning. I hung two more fire extinguishers and another smoke alarm. I put a shelf in the green house. It is an old solid core door that was mangled by one of the boys.

I think it would work because all you need to do is distract Mitzi from worrying her behind.

The pigs are getting bigger. I hope it rains soon. We are in drought mode. The druids told C that they want to have a fire walk on Saturday night but can't unless the ground is wet. The pigs would very much like their wallow to be filled up again. The flies are bothering them when they are out in the sun. When they go into the barn where it is cool the flies do not bother them.

I took a hose off the tractor that was leaking hydraulic fluid. C took it to the automotive shop to have a new one made.

C and big dsR and two neighbors drove down to Boston to watch the Red Sox play the Yankees. They are all so very excited to be there. I am glad to be home.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  8:01:42 PM  Show Profile
What is a fire walk? My cousin just became certified in Reiki and offered me some free sessions. I might take her up on it. I'm sure Reiki also works with animals but I guess a person needs to be trained to do it right. I have thought about taking Jaxon to the woman who does Healing Touch, but he needs both modern medicine and alternative therapy. I have been scheduling my life around Jaxon's schedule. He wants to go for a walk each evening but he has to decide when. Otherwise he won't even try to get up. He spends most of the day sleeping but he seems happy and wags his tail a lot. He eats when he feels like it, otherwise he just turns his head away from any food I offer him.
It is hot here again. And muggy. I would offer to come to Vermont with my rainstick and do a raindance---I did it here years ago when there was a drought and we all danced---and it rained 4 inches the next day. All at once. They said, "Cindy, make it stop raining!" I said, "All I know how to do is call the rain!" The heat index was 101 today and my dad was talking about seeing snow on the ground. he can remember the address and phone number of our old house and wanted me to take him there to see my mom. I told him someone else was living there and mom has been with him all day. He didn't seem to understand. My mom was ready to cry. She still wants to get a house and looked at one yesterday that was in my neighborhood but she said it was too small. I told her that section of the neighborhood is too close to the "valley" where the druggies live. I drove down a street near that house and the street scared me. There were no houses along it. It was narrow, steep, and ran through a wooded area. it looked like a place where someone would dump a body. Years ago, a mentally disabled couple lived along there. They kept to themselves and never bothered anyone. They were poor as all get out. Someone murdered them but didn't steal anything cause they had nothing worth stealing. The crime has never been solved. And no one has lived there since. That place just has a bad aura. It is far enough from my house that I never have reason to drive in that area. The area where I live has a number of dead end streets. They're dead end cause the builders didn't want the streets to extend to the valley. I don't know what to do for my poor mom. She won't be able to take care of my dad much longer.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  9:01:06 PM  Show Profile
We are having heavy rains tonight. I had heard we were supposed to get them so I am not surprised. At Dungeons & Dragons tonight, several phones sounded alarms for the flash floods in the area.

JoAnn - Thank you for that identification. I will make note of that and see what Mom and Dad can do about cultivating that plant. I am certain it has some medicinal properties. Also, thanks for lurking.

Mitzi has been hanging close to us since her surgery.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2016 :  05:20:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls,
It is going to be another hot day today. I need to get out there right now and finish planting my new plants into big pots.
Holly, My breathing is a lot better down here. The air is a lot lighter here, I don't feel that heaviness. Bob even noticed his breathing when we went back to Michigan. He finally realized what I was talking about. have an oxygen concentrator, and yes, they do cost a small fortune. I bought 2 of them that were reconditioned. I need to use O2 at night because my O2 level goes way down when I am sleeping.
I am sure Mitzi will feel much better in a few days.
Cindy, I am sure you will feel so much better when Jaxon finally gets his MRI. Hope the results are good and he just has something minor. Our animals are our children, and when they hurt, we hurt. Sending you a hug.
ell, time to get out and get going before it gets too hot. Hope you all have a great day,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2016 :  4:49:14 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

A fire walk is having a pathway covered with burning coals and you walk over it. C did it several years ago. I am not sure how it works, whether you have to do chanting or what to get your self ready and then you walk. C did not burn her feet.

Marie you sure do look like your Dad.

The unseasonably hot weather is only tolerable while sitting in or near our pond. The thermometer read 100F and the weather guessers said in the nineties. We are supposed to look at the Pleidies meteor shower tonight and now it is clouding up.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2016 :  4:55:04 PM  Show Profile
Um . . . that's my brother.

Hey Ladies! Check out these two handsome dudes I just saw downtown.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2016 :  9:12:49 PM  Show Profile
When I was a wee thing, we used to tease: "Teacher, teacher, I declare, I see someone's underwear." Women should not parade their undies in public, neither should men. I guess I'm getting old cause I don't understand the sagging pants trend. I took Jaxon for a walk tonight and he fell once and it took about five minutes for him to regain his balance. I am waiting to hear if my loan has been approved. She called yesterday and asked me a few questions, said she would call back, and I've heard nothing yet. I am ready to call the vet and ask if I can make arrangements to pay in installments. He needs that MRI NOW.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  06:41:53 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, hope you get the loan and can get Jaxon in ASAP.
Holly, Our rent is based on the type of site we have here. We were lucky to get a double lot at no extra charge, so far. The owner of the RV park is leasing the land from a big corporation, so we do not have to worry about taxes, but the lot rent does go up every year. The up side is that we are centrally located close t everything. Also, our internet, cable, and water are included. All we pay is for electric. We do not need to do our own mowing, but we prefer to because I do not like long grass. We have planted some trees with permission, but most of the plants must be in pots. If we move, we cannot dig up the trees and bushes that we did plant.
It is already in he 80s here with high humidity. It did rain last night, but now it is wet out and makes it more humid until it dries. e are still waiting for our awning t come in ad get installed. Good thing we have a canopy set up for shade.
Have a great day ladies,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  2:15:28 PM  Show Profile
I am taking Jaxon to the vet this evening as soon as it cools down. I called them and told them it couldn't wait till Tuesday. They are also an emergency clinic so it's OK. It is going to be a long weekend. I have faith that I will get the loan and Jaxon will get better. I will find some way to pay for it, no matter what. even if I have to sell one of my kidneys.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  5:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Yes, they are nice looking men. A friend of mine has said, if he wants to see someone's underwear he expects to be taken to dinner first. hahaha

It was very hot here today with a high humidity level. It is cooling down notably as the sun sets. I woke up at 4 AM this morning to go pee and looked out to see the shooting stars. I saw one stationary star and all the cloud cover.

We are supposed to have rain tonight. We have heard of other areas that have had significant rain fall so far today. they are to the south of us. We had two short showers.

Too hot to do much. Time to read to dsR.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2016 :  2:38:19 PM  Show Profile
Jaxon is much improved. He got a spinal tap yesterday but won't know the results till tomorrow. Depending on the results, he may not need an MRI. I have to work tomorrow but have Tuesday off. I visited him again today and he ate some dog biscuits, wanted his tummy rubbed, and played with a toy. he is also walking much better. The back of his head is shaved where he got the spinal tap. Yesterday when I saw him, he didn't feel so well. I dreamed about nothing but dogs last night. Kept waking up, I'd think of Jaxon, then fall back asleep. Maybe I'll sleep better tonight. This has been a stressful week. I have not seen any shooting stars cause I have been inside at night, trying to get some sleep. I watched them last year--lay on the hood of my car so I wouldn't have to crane my neck. I saw quite a few. We are now starting to get the rain that Louisianna had. At least it's cooled off. I wore a long sleeved t-shirt today. It's about 72 (the high for today).
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2016 :  5:21:39 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We had rain last night and evening. It was steady for a while. The pig's wallows have water in them. Now that the ground has some moisture in it they are rooting in the grass.
Ten miles from us they had so much rain during the day that the water ran over the road in the low places and we received sprinkles.

C canned four quarts of beets for borscht for the Jewish Holidays. I grow the garden she preserves it. She also put in four quarts of beans into the freezer.

I am glad it cools off during the night.

The cow is being a pain about getting started to come in at night. I have to go all the way out to the field to fetch her. Most of the summer she was coming in when called. I could understand when it was so hot that she spent most of the day laying in the barn in the cool and only eating after outside was not boiling. Today was cooler most of the day and she browsed a long while. Maybe tomorrow will be easier.

I hope Jaxon continues to improve.

clouds are mostly covering the sky tonight so far. Maybe it will clear enough to see some shooting stars.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2016 :  5:24:22 PM  Show Profile
I have been approved for the loan and it's a good thing, cause Jaxon will need that MRI. The spinal tap results came back normal. He can walk now without any support and is doing much better. I will drive over there tomorrow since I have the day off and discuss things with the vet. It is still raining here and they are warning about flash floods. I bet the beets that C canned will be good. I have a pizza in the oven and it is calling me.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  06:11:20 AM  Show Profile
We had an exciting day here yesterday, first, our car would not start, then we got it going, don't know what was wrong, it is fine now. We had big thunder and lightning with no rain in the afternoon. I was sitting on the couch knitting, and all of a sudden, a big crack, we could see a bolt of lightning come from our an right in the living room in front of us. I could feel the electricity go through my knitting needles!!!! Of course, we lost power. Checked everything out, there was no fire anywhere, or any signs where lightning had struck. We finally found the circuit breaker that tripped. All was well until we turned on the tv. No tv or dvd player, but the plug in worked. It blew out the tv and dvd player. That was all that was wrong. We were so thankful that our AC did not get hit. We are still waiting for the cable company to come and fix the cable, but other than that, w are fine now. That is the closest I ever want to come to getting hit by lightning.
Cindy, good luck with Jaxon. Praying everything works out great and it is something they can cure with meds.
Gotta get busy. Will try to post more later. Have a great day,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page