jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2016 :  05:49:30 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Judith. We love it here. It does get hot this time of year, but we are slowly getting used to it.
My hair was down to the middle of my back, so I wore it up most of the time. I got tired of it, so in January I cut it short. When I cut it, it curled right up. Now it is so curly, it looks like I have a perm. My hair is so thick, and grows so fast, I have to cut it every 3 weeks. Everyone here told me I look 10 years younger now with short hair.
A funny thing about my long hair, I was in the pool and had my hair down. I dove under the water, and my hair was so heavy, I could not get my head up out of the water. I had to grab my hair and pull it out of the water to surface. I was in the pool alone. That was pretty scary. I made sure my hair was up after that!!!!!
Marilyn, we once had the idea of getting together one summer, glamping somewhere central, but it never panned out. Maybe we should try for a meet up sometime next summer. That would be great to meet you all in person.
I belong to a group on facebook called Florida Floozies. They go glamping in the state parks about once a month here in Florida. All ladies and their campers. I have not met any of them, but someday when they are closer to me here I may pop in on them for the day. They can camp year round here.
We do not have any plans here for today, just taking it easy for the da. We had rain and very high winds late yesterday. Our rv was rocking, everything was blowing, I thought we were having a tornado. It ripped off all my patriotic décor off our fence and bent a shepherds hook in half, knocked over all my big pots of plants, but not much damage. I think it would be like that if a hurricane was on either coast.
Have a great day,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2016 :  5:30:21 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today was a very hot day here in the Green Mountains. This is like the end of July weather. The good part was the constant breeze.

We have put in 267 bales of hay. Make hay when the sun shines and the weather is hot. We do not make it the farmer in the middle of town does and he brings it in a kicker wagon. We take it out of the kicker wagon and put it in the barn. That is enough for us. I think we need 50 or so more bales to make it through the winter. We count on feeding 180 days some times less like last year and sometimes more. We are generous with the hay. It is cheaper than grain. We put the hay in yesterday and today.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

janjones68
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Jan
Spokane Valley WA
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2016 :  08:10:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I was just wishing there was a site for the older gals! So nice to find you. I'm fairly new to MJF, finding my way around the forums and looking forward to meeting some new friends. I'm married, grandma,retired RN for 2 years and love to quilt, sew and do handwork. Mostly quilt.

janjones
Starting each day as a new beginning.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2016 :  11:46:14 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jan!!!! That is my name also. Hope to see you post often here. Looking forward to getting to know you. I am sure you will fit right in with the rest of us.
We expanded my garden out a bit and put in a border. Now we need to kill the grass and put in mulch, but first I have a couple more fruit trees to plant. This will be a project for after we get back from our trip to Michigan. My daughter called last night and said it was hot there, in the 80s. Very unusual, since when we lived there we were lucky to get 2 or 3 80 degree days in August!!!!!
We had a few sprinkles today, now the sun is out, but the humidity dropped, so it does not feel too bad out there right now.
Hope you are all having a great day so far,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2016 :  2:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Today is not a good day. I followed my lawyer's advice and have called HR twice requesting an appointment to talk with them about finding me another position. So far, no response. I just got off the phone with an idiot from a credit card company who can't seem to understand why I'm upset, even though I've been charged two return fees by my credit union for a bill that was PAID ON TIME. They have "no record" of a call I made, even though I have a record of it...the credit union says they are not responsible and the credit card company says they are not responsible....I have called the credit card company at least five times and I told them almost a month ago that the check was not going to clear and I would send a money order overnight....and I did....and they received it.....and are still "investigating" it. I have no money and I am practically starving cause I've been eating one meal a day...all I know is, SOMEONE is going to pay for the hardship they've caused me. I've been discriminated against for having a disability, I've been kept from returning to my job even though the drs. said I could....people have told lies and made statements about me that aren't true and are degrading....the actions of my supervisor have caused me severe financial harm...I don't know what is wrong with this world.
Sorry, I just had to rant.

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog on Tumblr: eclecticstarlightcollectorbluff
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2016 :  2:40:13 PM  Show Profile
I just got a call from my best friend and her father is on a ventilator and he has requested that they pull the plug tomorrow, as he will have to be on it the rest of his life.....I remember reading that EVERYONE in this world is fighting some sort of battle...I just don't "get" why some people want to make it harder on others...I pray for my friend and everyone who is fighting a battle....and I pray that the forces against us will be put to shame and ruin. I wish we had a strong leader like those we have had in the past--someone who will inspire us with the words "We shall overcome, we shall overcome, we shall overcome someday. For I know in my heart, yes I do believe, we shall overcome someday." I guess my Inner Hippie is coming out. She has sustained me through many a trying situation. I hope you have an Inner Hippie (Peace Child? Flower Child?) who sustains you as well. Someday we will all be farmers, and the world will know peas at last.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

bramblerose
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2016 :  4:52:47 PM  Show Profile
Sigh

I have been on the phone / texting with my son (married, 32 years old) for almost 24 hours straight. He and his wife had a massive argument yesterday. She kicked him out. He spent the night on a park bench.

He has been having "dark thoughts" all day, and I finally had to leave work (we were working calves this morning) because it reached critical proportions. I came in and called a crisis line in the city where he lives. They were extremely helpful to me. I passed on the number to my son.

Meanwhile, dil has been texting me and trashing him. She doesn't want to listen to anyone but her chums who are applauding her choices and egging her on. I have not responded to her since she got nasty. I am staggered by the venomous texts from her.

I invited my son to come up here (700 miles away). We have an empty crew house at the moment, and are short-handed. He will consider it.

In the meantime, he is going up island (He lives on Vancouver Island) to visit a friend and chill for a few days. He got gasoline... went to pay for the gas and was declined. My dil had emptied the bank account. Then he discovered his tire was flat. Totally shredded. But he was conveniently beside a tire shop. Just sent him some money... and it's all good... the road to his friend's place is a coastal highway with cliffs to the ocean. A blowout could have been catastrophic... and he is already having not-good thoughts.

In other news, the flood waters are receding. The road south to the rest of BC is closed indefinitely. Have to go the "long way" around.

I am weary... mostly emotionally, from being scared spitless. Please think happy encouraging thoughts for him, and pray, if you've a mind to. Everything I want to say to him sounds so glib and trite. It WILL get better. It'll be as hard as kneeling on red-hot glass shards with hornets in your hair, but it will get better. Cindy, your words are timely... He CAN overcome. So can she. But it's hard work, especially after the spew they both heaped on each other the last few days. I'm not so delusional that I believe she is all to blame, either.

~Ann~

My life on the ranch ... http://a-thousandhills.blogspot.com

Edited by - bramblerose on Jun 20 2016 6:27:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2016 :  6:44:35 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I spoke to a neighbor who is an energy worker and she said yesterday there was a glitch in the ozone and many people were not making good choices or feeling well. and it was the summer solstice and a full moon to complicate our emotions.

Why do people think they need to have the last word?

Here we have a commission called the Human Rights Commission. If someone feels they have been discriminated against they can file a complaint and the attorney will investigate the situation. Do you have any thing like that in your state, Cindy? Is there an advocacy group that could help you deal with these people who have Peter Principled themselves to a level of incompetency? Hugs to you.

Today was in the 80's. This is too hot. Usually only at the end of July do we have this much heat. Not complaining. Two hundred years ago we had the year without summer. It snowed sometime each month of the year.

hugs to all of you.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2016 :  7:35:42 PM  Show Profile
I am ready to cry (tears of gladness). My friend came over and took me to the store and paid for it all. My list wasn't really that big. she said she had expected to pay a lot more. then she sat down and wrote me out a big check.....God bless the good people in my life. All day long I've been feeling like a failure and like I didn't have any friends.....and she is going through such a difficult time. Please pray for her and her family. No matter what you believe about God....there is goodness in this world. Ann--I think it must be difficult for young couples in today's world. I am praying that your son and dil will reconcile...and Holly--I wonder if the strawberry moon isn't causing people to have bad thoughts. The moon has the power to move the tides--it would be silly to think that it doesn't affect us emotionally and mentally. And maybe there is a lot of activity on the sun. Maybe people are upset because the Earth is upset. I will continue to pray for peas on Earth.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2016 :  8:34:36 PM  Show Profile
Someone in the mental health clinic I go to really dropped a ball. I went to pick up my "happy pills" and they said they couldn't give them to me because there were no more refills. I told them I would call my doctor and try to get it sorted out and they gave me 3 days worth of pills. I left a message at the clinic as soon as I got home. That was Thursday. I hadn't heard anything from them so I went to the clinic and asked to see a nurse. She looked up my record and said that I hadn't seen my doctor for about a year. I told her I knew I hadn't seen him in a long time but I didn't know it was that long. She set up an appointment for me at the earliest possible time - August. She will contact the doctor and try to get him to write a prescription for enough pills to cover me until the appointment. I hope I can get them soon because in a couple days, I will start to become troubled. I do not want to be compromised while I work with the children in summer school.

I installed the new modem. It took a couple calls to my internet service provider and about ten minutes on the floor adjusting and plugging in cables. Now the signal is strong and I no longer feel as if I am having no fun on this computer.

I have had my own dark thoughts. Because your son reached out to you, he has a better chance of getting through this. Depression and loss are dark places to walk. You have provided him a way to the light and I hope he accepts your offer. Time apart may give each of them space to reassess their relationship.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2016 :  03:21:08 AM  Show Profile
Marie--any doctor can write you a prescription. even a P.A. can write one. I hope you get your meds. soon cause you can't go long without them. been there, done that.
The other day I was sending an e-mail to someone and I wrote:"I'm starting to hate the Catholic Church." Then tonight I sent a text and wrote:"I feel like the Catholic church has destroyed my faith." I think I'm finally realizing why I feel depressed so often. Maybe what feels like a catastrophe--losing my job--is a blessing in disguise.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2016 :  07:42:02 AM  Show Profile
Cindy -- This may be an old idea, but have you thought about contacting your local news media? Sometimes a TV reporter (as much as I distrust that whole mess) can make some inquiries and really bring attention to an unfair situation like yours.

Ann -- So glad your son is in contact with you. Maybe some time working on the ranch will be a good thing -- he will be working hard and being tired and have some quiet to think. We will be thinking of you.

Spokane Jan! Welcome -- we can't possibly have too many Jans in our group. One on each corner of the country makes for a nice balance, doesn't it? I am a relocated Seattle native, myself.

Holly -- Here's a link for that menstrual pad -- http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/feminine-sanitary-menstrual-maxi-pad
I guess it didn't link -- but that's the address. Not sure if you can get in without being "on" ravelry, but it's a free website and not a big deal to join if you're not. There were some other patterns on the web, as well. I haven't crocheted one yet.

Maybe it was that strawberry moon that got to me last night! I was awake until sometime after 2:30 -- haven't had that kind of sleeplessness since before menopause, thank goodness. Anyway, I got up at 6:15 with my alarm, had some breakfast, marched right out to the porch where Dude was having his second cup of tea and said "I am going back to bed for a little while and will be in after later, okay?" Not much he could have said. I laid my head down at 7:00 and didn't move until the clock struck 9. Now I am here at my desk and feeling fine. I would have just been tooooooo stupid had I come in earlier. Dude falls asleep at about 8 and sleeps until 6, so he gets a solid 10 hours -- I am so envious! Must have been the weird moon, because there was nothing wrong.

Time to get to my "to-do" drawer. Anxious to hear how everyone's STUFF is going.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2016 :  09:27:08 AM  Show Profile
Just going to throw this one out there for discussion -- we had been talking about Dude's "green" daughter making her own flannel sanitary pads. She is a serious recycler and eater of organic foods, etc. She really and truly tries to make her carbon footprint small in every way she can -- she's not a poser and she walks the walk about "earth first."

But here's my question -- at what point does something like the flannel, non-disposable sanitary napkin reach the point of diminishing return? I know that using fabric and laundering them keeps an awful lot of paper product out of the landfills, but what about the water used to launder them (repeatedly) and the detergent used in the laundry (seeping into our ground water), the electricity used to run the washing machine and/or dryer --- you get my point. I am sure someone somewhere has done some very detailed studies, but have any of you got input? A while back we had the director of our county recycling authority come and speak at our Rotary Club. She gave us lots of good information and guidance, and one of the things that she stressed repeatedly was that we should NOT be rinsing out our containers before recycling -- that would just be wasting another resource. Made me stop and think.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2016 :  2:57:25 PM  Show Profile
At what point does recycling, reusing and reducing no longer make sense?

Whatever we do we use some kind of resource. The best we can do is to leave as little of an impact as possible. For laundry, I wash in cold water and pack as much as I can in one load. I believe as long as the item is being washed with other items, the waste is minimal. There are people in my building who hang their laundry on lines and racks in their apartments. I cannot because Lowell would not tolerate it. If I was single, I would hang my laundry on the back fence or in the apartment. Our recyclers tell us to rinse out the jars and cans, especially those with dairy products, because the food inside gums up the recyclers' machinery and they have to shut the plant down periodically to clean it out. I usually wash my recycling with the rest of the dishes, again, to keep the impact to a minimum.

We can keep peeling down our resource impact on the earth; however, almost every piece of organic matter is food for something else. Maybe that can be something to focus on.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2016 :  6:42:15 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

This is a qualified statement because of all of the disrespect people have had for their water supply but water can be a renewable resource. I think using cloth menstrual pads are a good option. I like the sponges myself. I think not filling up the landfill with unnecessary waste is a good choice. Convenience should not rule our lives.
I do hang the laundry outside whenever possible. We have been told to wash our recycling before sending it to the transfer station. They will reject it and put it in the trash if the recycling is dirty.

A very lovely day here on the old hill farm.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2016 :  7:28:49 PM  Show Profile
As far as recycling/reusing goes....I save used cooking oil and grease and put it in jars and bottles. I have a metal tub in my basement full of bottles of used cooking oil. I want to find someone who has a car that runs on it, but I don't know anyone who has one. So I keep saving it and hope someday, someone will be able to use it.I've started using castile soap to wash my clothes (always in cold water) and it can be used to wash dishes, bodies, hair, etc. Handy to have when camping. And it doesn't cause the contamination of commercial laundry detergents. I found a homemade deordorant called "pit paste" and it's all natural and smells good. I think if one wanted to truly have a small carbon footprint, they would walk/bike everywhere and could not travel too far from their home. Most people don't want to live like that. they want to see the world. So it'sgood for people to do what they are able to do to conserve resources. All those small things add up and make a huge difference.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2016 :  06:18:48 AM  Show Profile
So I wasn't imagining it! I KNEW that we had always at least rinsed out our recyclables out west -- that's why I was so surprised when the recycling lady told us NOT to do it here. I always put the glass stuff in the dishwasher with the other stuff. Mostly I like to clean the stuff a little because I don't want it to stink when it's sitting in our recycling bin waiting to go to the facility. I think we could make ourselves crazy trying to save the earth single-handedly. If we all do whatever we can, then we have helped in some way. (The "green" daughter -- flies down here from Alaska at least once or twice a year -- put that in your carbon footprint and smoke it!) Also -- if we see something that we are doing that strikes us as wasteful -- then we should address it. I just don't like to be "guilted" into doing stuff.

As far as the sanitary pad issue goes -- I have (with the help of dear darling Mom Nature!!!!) taken care of that problem by just not having use for them any longer --- THANK GOODNESS! I wrote letters to Santa for years, asking him to bring me menopause for Christmas. He finally came through and my life has been so much happier ever since. I really do like the idea of helping girls in developing countries, though. Breaks my heart to think that they have to miss school a quarter of the time, just because they are girls.

I have been using laundry and dishwashing products from "Nellie's," a Canadian company. We are on a well at home and I was getting pretty concerned about what I was putting in our groundwater all the time. I did some online research (and the "green" daughter was using it, so I got to try it at her house) and I am hooked. No fragrance, no additives, and the clothes and dishes are CLEAN. Bonus is that I order it from Amazon so I don't have to go to a big town to find it.

Well, as my Mother used to say "This ain't payin' the preacher or makin' the baby a dress," so I ought to get to work. Have a lovely Wednesday, Goddesses of the Iris!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2016 :  4:22:15 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I took the littles to the library in town for the first time. I had been putting it off because I have no interest in having to keep track of their books. they are old enough to do it and need to do it themselves. I hope now they are. I stopped going to the library with the middle kids when I paid for a lost book and then I found it in the bird feeder. Some of the books I never found. The children enjoy the library so very much. dsG has already read the three books he was allowed to take out today. The next visit he will be allowed to take out the library limit of 15 books. He is so excited.

I am very glad that I am menopausal as well. I do not know anyone who is happy about it except the heterosexual woman who is glad it is evidence that she is not pregnant.

Hope you are all well.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2016 :  5:24:33 PM  Show Profile
My friend's father passed away peacefully and quickly after being taken off the ventilator. I need to contact her and see if there is going to be a memorial.
Last Monday, I went to HR and was told it was the beginning of a thirty day job search period. I was told a certain person would look to see if there were any openings for me and she would call back. She had not called back as of last Thursday so I called Friday and left a message. I called Monday and left a message. Finally on Tuesday I got a call. I went to HR. I was told that I needed to go on-line and search for a job myself on the employee website. (They had just wasted one week of my time). I contacted the main office and explained some things and she said I needed to call my HR dept. and they would provide me with a business partner. So I called again and my business partner is....let's just say I would rather not work with this person but I have no choice. (No, it's not my supervisor--that would be awful!). So today I asked for an accommodation form under the ADA and they gave me one and I took it to my dr. to be filled out. I don't think they realize (or don't care) how much my disability limits me when it comes to work. My business partner told me there were openings for an administrative assistant and in communications. Administrative assistant involves lots of computer work and I have no experience whatsoever in that field. I use my computer mainly to communicate with other people and to look up stuff...I don't even know how to cut and paste even though several people have explained it to me--that doesn't work. I have to SEE it to learn it. I can't work in communications cause 1) I have a hard time understanding people on the phone-I hear OK but my brain processes it very slowly and 2) I stutter badly when I get nervous. Which is quite frequently. I have two and a half weeks left. I just found out that another of my friends in food service for many years is quitting--today was her last day. she got a job in St. Louis. A longer drive, but I told her she would get used to it--I have driven in rush hour traffic many times and I am used to it. At first it terrified me but St. Louis traffic is nothing compared to, say, Dallas. I am glad I don't have to do it every day.
I still have my periods but they are very irregular. I will be glad when I don't have to deal with them anymore. so the secret is writing to Santa? I don't want to wait that long :(
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2016 :  01:26:30 AM  Show Profile
It is 0300 and I cannot sleep. My hoo-haa itches terribly and my legs are restless. I have this enforced menopause because of the hysterectomy and I just do not feel right at all. There are things going on which I hesitate to mention on the forum but will tell to anyone who emails me. I was as regular as the calendar and I rather liked the reminder that my body was doing exactly what it needed to. I feel incompletely female now. I know this sounds very strange but I was looking forward to the complete (and intact) menopause experience. Now that I have lost some of my body tissue, I just do not feel whole.

I saw my primary physician yesterday and he got me a prescription for a month's worth of happy pills. I started to cry in his office when I explained the situation. He was very concerned because he had never seen me like that. I was starting to withdraw. I am so grateful for Dr. Praveen Tupakula. We have an excellent relationship. I even got my ears cleaned out, finally. Wow! It's like rediscovering my sense of hearing.

I believe that many people are leaving the corporately organized workplace because of toxic environments. I have known my share and have determined not to enter another one. I do not need as many accommodations as you do Cindy. For me, it was a matter of learning a new skill and awaiting the right opportunity. I am fortunate to have both financial and emotional supports in place so I can take my time and wait for the right time and opportunity to get back to paid work. I have so little advice that may be helpful to you not knowing and living in your situation so I will not give it here. I will say this: Do not quit. Let them fire you. They will keep you hanging and frustrated hoping you will quit. Keep records and/or inform your lawyer of every contact you make with HR and the gist of the conversations. They may try to say that you abandoned your job so they do not have to count you in their turnover statistics. Lastly, do what you can and let the lawyer do the heavy lifting. I think of your situation often and know I would feel helpless in your situation. Be strong Cindy.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2016 :  08:08:08 AM  Show Profile
We just got done with another day of mowing and weed wacking, but got it done early. It is hot out there. Yesterday, Olivia was outside and we were just walking past the patio when a big long black snake charged at her. I had nothing to hit it with, so I started throwing empty flower pots at it. It only moved to the other side of the yard with it's head up, ready to charge at anything. It was about 4 feet long. I am not afraid of snakes, as long as I know they are not poisonous. We see a snake around here almost every day, we have a thin wall of woods behind us, so that is where they live. They keep the rats at bay. We saw a couple of rats in the wood that were the size of a squirrel. Now those are scary to me. There is a cat hanging around here now, which is okay with me, he will keep the rats away, I am sure.
Cindy, best of luck to you. I am glad to hear you have such a good friend to help you out when you needed it the most. God is good!!!!!
Marie, hope you were able to finally fall asleep. It makes for long day when you do not get enough sleep and you are dragging all day.
Marilyn, I do not think I would be able to use cloth pads and wash them out. Are they rally sterile enough to reuse? Did enough of that with cloth diapers when my boys were babies.
Holly, that is great that the boys like to read. They are learning a lot of responsibility through borrowing the books.
Well, need to get the rest of my day going. Have a great day all,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2016 :  1:20:11 PM  Show Profile
Jan--I think I would freak out over a four foot black snake. I saw a curled up American water snake once that must have been five or six feet. It looked like a tire.
Will it never end---I found out today that I no longer have any income, and that I haven't since last week. They neglected to tell me, though. I still have my benefits--and yes, they expect me to pay for them. I called a law office that specializes in employment law and they will call back when the attorney returns. I did see my dr. this morning and he filled out the ADA forms. He also gave me some free samples of a very expensive medicine that I take. I picked up a bunch of brochures/papers on social service organizations and programs that offer financial assistance. I did find out there is a pet food pantry that offers free food--and it's run by the group I adopted Jaxon from! I will get by somehow. as for the income---it turns out they stopped paying me when the dr. said I could return to work--but I haven't returned to work cause there is no position for me. I saw a man I know at the senior services center when I went to pick up all those papers, and he used to own his own business, despite not being well-educated. he is now on disability--what his ex-wife did to him was awful. She had him committed to a psych. unit and then removed everything from their house. He has a payee who helps him with his bills, and it turns out she is someone I know! I had heard him say he finally found a good payee but I didn't know who it was till today. I need someone to help me get things in order--hopefully the lawyer can help. You don't owe unless you win. I will be going up against a multi-billion dollar corporation that has a team of lawyers..David vs. Goliath. Well, at least we know who won. :)
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2016 :  6:13:32 PM  Show Profile
Gppd evening everyone,

I would be a complete wreck if I were in your shoes, Cindy. I have no advice because I have no experience in a traditional workplace. I am a foster parent for special needs adults and I stay as far away from the agency as possible. I do my job caring for my women and that is that.
C found out from a co worker that a contract has been signed by the State of Vermont and a company to do the worker's compensation benefits since the State has outsourced the department, The co worker found out from one of the venders that they have dealt with that the contract has been signed. The State has not told the workers in the department that the contract has been signed. Once the State tells the workers the contract has been signed then they have 30 more days to work and then they will be done. C thinks it s**** that the State has not told them but people outside have been told.

I brought home new bees a little more than a month ago. They swarmed today. The sat on the fence most of the afternoon. I should have taken a picture. A neighbor man who used to be the state entomologist came and put them in a hive for me. He was very calm and good at explaining what he was doing and seeing.

I planted some of the garden.

We have garter snakes around here. I think we have a healthy ecosystem when I see the snakes. Some of them look to be a yard long. I like to see the snakes. One of the good things about living here where it gets cold is we do not have poisonous snakes.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2016 :  06:23:43 AM  Show Profile
We had a delightful evening last night. Dude's sister and her husband came up from Virginia to do some estate work (she is the co-executor with Dude) and they stayed overnight at our house. We ate and laughed and drank and laughed and then watched Victor Borge on DVD and laughed some more. We got up this morning and laughed our way through breakfast before we all went our separate ways. I just adore this sister and her husband and we are sorry to see them go back home today.

Dude has gone to the big auction to get his youngest an SUV to replace the Range Rover that didn't suit her anymore. Sigh. She just turned 30 and is getting married in October -- I hope her fiancee knows what he is in for. I actually asked him last night how long he was going to continue buying her cars -- "Oh, this is the last one," he said --- we will see. Brother-in-Law asked me this morning where Dude was going and we were chatting about how spoiled this daughter is. "Well, you've met their mother, right?" was his response. True. Meow.

So it is quiet here and probably will be for most of the day. One customer who was absolutely INSISTENT that he would be here first thing has still not showed up, so my mechanic is able to get a little more done out in the shop, so that's good. Lesson 12 of 12 is out today, so I can do that and then get ready for the final exam. The next session starts on July 13, so I have a couple of weeks to knit, etc. I am really enjoying taking these classes. We had a real humdinger of a thunderstorm last night, so the garden got a really excellent soaking. Now we'll get some nice warm sunshine and the whole place with explode! The whole side with all the squash-like plants is nearly solidly green now. Amazing how quickly those things spread once they get going.

Cindy -- I am with Holly -- I don't know how you are hanging on, but I am proud that you are. We are all in your corner. David was small, but he knew where to get the right rocks. You go!

I should get at my schoolwork.

Have a great Friday!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2016 :  08:40:17 AM  Show Profile
Alright, Ladies! I completed lesson 12, did the final exam, got 100% and printed my certificate. Now on to Accounting Fundamentals II in a couple of weeks. Yay!!!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page