Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  06:09:08 AM  Show Profile
Puppies. Unicorns. Fluffy pillows. Clouds that look like marshmallows. There's my contribution to the day. Hugs to everyone, my friends.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  07:37:41 AM  Show Profile
I am grateful that I have friends who help me to realize how I can be a better person. As I have written to may of you, this incident has shown me that I do not treat Lowell as well as I could. For that I am very grateful.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  3:49:00 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We received a ddusting of new snow today. C told me when she came home that we were the only ones who were getting snow. It would be nice to get a few feet in the next couple of weeks. Need to get the water table filled.

Tonight I am to help dsR put his Valentine's together. They are airplanes with stickers. We worked on them earlier int he week and he had a grand time. It is nice to hear him laugh.

Most of the day dsC and I did his schoolwork. We need to get his reading to be more confident and detail oriented. Somewhere he learned to read a word by recognizing the first letter or two. That worked fine when the vocabulary was stagnant. Now that lack of decoding is biting him in the bum.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  5:02:05 PM  Show Profile
I have only just started reading this thread and will read only for the time being. So sorry for the conflicts. Each of us has our trials and journeys in life that no other can truly understand. A listening ear is all that is needed most times and no words I have found. Hope this thread gets better and heals.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  6:28:49 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Thank you Betty for your kind thoughts. I hope so too. Everyone of these women is important to me. I know in my heart that no one would willingly hurt another. We all come from different places in our experiences and words only words can not convey voice inflection or eye contact. hugs to you.

Send to the universe your needs and the answer will come in time.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  6:37:34 PM  Show Profile
We also received a little snow today. I got a nice card and letter from a farmgirl yesterday and another card today. Those cards and letters mean a lot cause I feel so cut off from the world right now. No fun being housebound when I'm used to driving each day. I would say I miss work but I don't. I have been doing the PT exercises at home but my shoulder doesn't seem to want to move forward like it should so I am working on that. Since this is Ash Wednesday, it makes me stop and ponder my mortality. I have been working on developing mercy and forgiveness, two traits that are sometimes difficult for me. Ya'll have a nice evening,
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  7:57:57 PM  Show Profile
We had a wild night at Dungeons & Dragons. Does anyone want to hear about it? It is a pretty geeky past time and not everyone's cup of tea. If any of you do not want to hear about it, just let me know. I'm okay with that.

It is cold, cold, cold here. At least there is very little wind. If it were windy I would have added some invectives to my description of the weather.

The school Valentines Day party is tomorrow. We always have a good time in the classroom. On Tuesday afternoon, two friends of Patricia's (the teacher) came to show the kids how to decoupage onto glass. I made a piece for the volunteer grandma and myself. I didn't know how easy it was to do.

Marie, Sister #5142

Edited by - churunga on Feb 10 2016 7:59:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  04:28:21 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone,

We received some very sad news overnight. Jerry Breen, who grew up here and later came back as the minister in the church here in town and then took his family and moved to Kentucky to teach at the seminary, little daughter died last night. She was three years old. C received the message from Jerry's step mother in the night. We do not know why she died. We have profound sadness. She is survived by her parents,and her three older brothers. Jerry is one of the kindest most generous men around and he preached this to all as well.

Hugs to you all

Yes, I would like to hear about your geekie experience at D & D.

If our atmosphere were such that we could not see the stars, I believe people would still dream about what could be out there. Just a rumination I had while milking the cow this morning.

Cindy, you are only a week post op, you need to get that muscle strength and memory back slowly and it will come.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  06:23:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh dear! To lose a child is unimaginable to me (thank goodness!), but the thought of losing a baby that age is so sad. There are no words of comfort that wouldn't sound stupid coming from me. My sweet Dude has lost two children -- both as adults. His oldest daughter had a brain tumor and passed when her son was just a little toddler. His younger son had lost both legs to a MRSA infection and was in a wheelchair -- he was killed by a speeding car while trying to cross a street just a couple of years after his sister passed. I have seen Dude in times of grief when he was nearly unable to breathe. Maybe the best way for me to honor the grieving parents is to make sure to be grateful for what I have.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  07:22:14 AM  Show Profile
Marie -- Valentine's Day was always (and still is) my favorite holiday! At school we always made a little mailbox of some kind to attach to our desks so everyone could go around and "mail" their Valentines to each other. Some years they would be quite elaborate, depending on if your teacher had been an art major in college! ha ha One year we all had to bring an oatmeal box to make our mailboxes -- that was one of my favorites. I stopped in the drug store this morning while I was on my walk -- wanted to get a card for His Dudeness. I looked on the candy aisle where they have the kids Valentines and they were all but sold out! I still love having an excuse to tell people I love them without everyone getting all weirded out. And red and white is my favorite color combo. I used to have a special dress that I wore to work every Valentine's Day. It was white with tiny little red hearts all over it. It had a full skirt and a very fitted bodice (back when my own personal bodice was more fitted! ha ha) and buttoned up the front with tiny little red heart-shaped buttons. I still get an e-mail every year from a particular co-worker who really really loved me in that dress.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  07:22:58 AM  Show Profile
No parent should experience the death of a child. It is the most profound sadness.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  08:33:22 AM  Show Profile
Such sadness for the little girl's family. It will be a terrible test of faith.

Marilyn, I have a red and white quilt that is love. Red and white quilts are very popular. I think many people share your love of the color combination.

I had to replace my alternator in my truck the other day. The same shop that helped me with my short in my truck did the job. They came and jumped my truck and drove it to the shop for me. Had it fixed the next morning and only cost $225.00. I was amazed. Then I had three etsy sales that almost paid for it.

We had wonderful sunshine for the last two days and now the clouds are back.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  09:20:52 AM  Show Profile
Bunny -- Glad they were able to fix your truck. Sounds like you may have found an honest shop --- what a treasure! I did a blue/white crib size quilt one time -- I hand-quilted it and it sold through a shop in Pike Place Market in downtown Seattle. I love the ones with redwork embroidered blocks, too! Geez. Here I go again - thinking of new projects when I need to concentrate on my online class.

Speaking of the online class -- I read through the first lesson at work yesterday, then I sat down with my laptop and did the actual class last night at home. It was VERY introductory, and the little quiz afterward was only 5 questions, but I wanted something that would teach the software in depth, and it looks like this will. I will go through some more of the practice assignment tonight (they just have you open the software and familiarize yourself with the different tabs) and then Lesson 2 will be released tomorrow. I really like the way it is set up -- there's even a "discussion" area for each lesson where the students and instructor can post to a message board and the instructor can answer questions. I could see how that will be helpful later on when things get more complicated.

Busy day here -- delivering a couple of vehicles and we will be closed Saturday for a funeral, so I have been calling people who usually come in on Saturdays.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  1:43:31 PM  Show Profile
We are expecting brutal cold overnight for the next few days. I am getting ready to close up shop for the day and am going to move my beloved coffee maker out of the unheated file room into my office before I go. We have had little weird unexpected snow flurries off and on today. A small chance of snow over the next few days as well. It took a while to get here, but we are certainly having winter now. Dude had to run out for a bit -- he will be stopping at the grocery store on his way back. I think tonight's dinner will be grilled salmon with asparagus -- not sure what else.

Had our first planning meeting this afternoon for our Rotary Club Crab Feast to be held this summer. We are hoping to make it an annual fund-raising event, but are trying to start off small. We have a member who transferred here from down in Maryland and he worked on his club's crab feast for years, so he is a valuable asset! I have been online this afternoon, researching rental tents, chairs, tables. We are aiming for somewhere around 100 attendees. We settled on 3 points to work on today --- Menu, Venue and Cause.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  2:57:57 PM  Show Profile
Holly--your friend sounds like such a good person, so sad that he must endure this. Yes, it tries one's faith. I have accepted that I will never find the answers to some questions in this life. Hopefully in the next we will understand. Hard to believe that all wrongs will be made right, but faith is something beyond belief. I have screamed at God on numerous occasions and the death of a child is one of those things that makes you scream.
Marilyn--the crab feast is making me hungry. I have lost 8 pounds over the past five days according to my scale, I guess cause I have no appetite. Went to the store today and got some groceries. I need my strength so I guess I better eat.
I hurt my shoulder early this morning--I felt something either pop or tear. It hurt bad. I called the dr.'s exchange and they said a PA would call back. He never did. I called at 8:00 this morning when the office opened and they can see me first thing tomorrow. So I am praying we don't get any snow or ice. My neighbor said she could take me. I spent part od today at my parents cause I only have one good arm and it is scary to be by yourself when you are that disabled. I am using the tens unit on a low setting right now and it helps. Not sure what I did to my shoulder. But I did something. My dad is driving my mom crazy. She was in the bathroom and he asked me at least five times where she was. The villa isn't that big, it's not like she could get lost, but if she isn't in the room with him, he gets all upset. We all went to the grocery store and I remarked that we were a pretty decrepid (sp.) bunch. Trying to inject a little humor. I have used so many minutes on my phone that I am 130 minutes over my limit. I have NEVER used that many minutes in one month. It's mostly from being put on hold by dr.'s offices and the main office in Peoria at work. My month ends on the 17th. so I am trying not to make any more calls. I don't have a landline anymore. So I am starving, broke, and in pain. But hey,it could be worse! At least I have my farmgirl friends, good neighbors and a faithful dog who just wants me to always feel happy. And the furnace works, which is a blessing cause it's supposed to get in the single digits tomorrow night. And my shoulder is feeling better since I used the tens unit. It's like getting a little massage.
I hope the furnace stays on for you and please bundle up against that cold.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  6:15:32 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I have two funnies for you.

I made two cakes this afternoon. One for 3 o'clock snack and one for dsR's Valentine's party tomorrow at school. I carefully looked at the recipe to make sure I put in everything. I spread the batter in the pans and did a nice job dividing the batter in two. Then I remembered that I had not put in sugar. I couldn't believe I had screwed it up again. So, I took a table spoon and spread some sugar on top and then carefully mixed it in. I didn't want one piece to bee too sweet so I tried to do it evenly. After I put them in the oven it dawned on me that I should have put in a lot more sugar because one recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar and I X4 it and probably didn't even put on 1/2 cup. Lucky for me that store bought frosting is really sweet. The children did not complain for 3 o'clock snack and it is almost gone now with pilfering and dinner desert.

The second funny. I was doing chores tonight. I water the cow and chickens and put the cows in their stalls with hay. We have flexible rubber buckets that hold about 15 gallons of water each. I took one that had been in the hallway and had a good chunk of ice on top. I wanted to get the ice out of the bucket so I slammed it down on the dirt and it did break and most of the water flew up in the air over my right shoulder and down the front of me. I said a choice word or two and could't believe my luck. I finished watering Coco and the chickens. I took a bucket down to Ida May and took her frozen water bucket out. Slammed the bottom edge down on the ground and for my efforts got plastered in the face square on with water and ice. My learning curve is not flat.

Cindy A friend of mines first job out of her master's in library science was in Peoria at an Agricultural library. The boss was a very sexist male who told her she was not smart enough to become a doctor, which she did do. Anyway, she always said that Peoria but she said it Peeeooooria sounded like a bad urinary tract infection. Sorry the noise in our arm scared you. I hope it is just the unfamiliar healing process.
Losing your ability to remember must be terrifying for your dad. Maybe a baby monitor so he can hear her talking when she goes out of the room.
S**** about the minutes on your phone.

Red work/black work is a fascinating needlework. Can you imagine living in the solar of a castle and figuring it out and then teaching it to all of the other women around you? I agree another project to consider during our free time. hahaha

Bunny glad the garage could fix your truck and that the orders are still coming in. What a relief. and a joy that people are recognizing your style and talent.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499

Edited by - Tall Holly on Feb 12 2016 1:08:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  03:33:41 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like the way my mother does my dad. If he gets more than two feet away she actually physically panics. He is exhausted.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  08:05:59 AM  Show Profile
I think Holly must be some fabulous baker! That is twice she has told us that she didn't put the sugar in her goodies and the little scarfed them up anyway!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  09:07:09 AM  Show Profile
or my children are so desperate for treats they'll eat anything. hahahaha

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  10:10:48 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, congratulations on winning the drawing for the Fairy Door. She does such beautiful work. Someday I will win one.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  10:37:40 AM  Show Profile
Eeek! I have been so busy with work today that I hadn't checked in (or even thought to, actually!) on the Fairy Door giveaway! Very exciting. She is so generous to do that. Thanks for the heads' up!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  10:41:24 AM  Show Profile
Holly -- A good friend who recently passed away had some advice for my daughter on her wedding day. She said -- Make them wait as long as possible for their meals, and anything will taste good! Ha! Turns out to be true, doesn't it?

I have been working on office work all day and am just now, at 1:45, getting a chance to get at my school work. Sigh.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  11:27:58 AM  Show Profile
Once I was so sick I hadn't eaten in three days. I ended up in the hospital and the only thing I could eat was ground up chicken with gravy over it. But it was GOOD.
Went to dr. this morning.It is too soon after the surgery to do an MRI to see if I ruptured anything. My shoulder is swollen but the x-rays were ok. Supposed to baby it till next Wednesday when I go back.
The wind has really picked up here. Supposed to get down to three degrees tonight, with that wind chill it will be deadly.
Congrats. on winning the fairy door! They are all so creative and cute.
I have never been to the city whose name sounds like a UTI. That is funny.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  12:59:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh Cindy -- please make sure to keep eating, even if you don't really feel like it. We don't want you sick on top of injured. Hopefully your wing will continue to heal without any more intervention.

I finished my lesson for today. I have the classroom part up on my office desktop and then have the QuickBooks software open on my laptop -- makes things go very smoothly. Today we set up the chart of accounts for our fictitious company and added some new accounts and renamed some, etc. The instructor is very clear and he is giving us very small bites, at least right here at the beginning.

Dude is as spiny as a porcupine today! I am trying to stay mostly out of his way. Not sure what is driving it. We have a funeral to go to tomorrow -- a friend of his from a long time ago. They hadn't been close for years, but I know he hates going to funerals. He also had to go out to his sister-in-law's today to pick something up -- he gets cranky when he has to deal with Brother's estate, and I know she has lots of questions all the time. Then again, he might be all fussy and prickly because it is Valentine's Day on Sunday and he's trying to decide between the 5-carat and the 10-carat diamond for my gift! ha ha ha ha I crack myself up sometimes. All we actually have planned is grilling some lobster tails for a special meal. He had asked me where I wanted to go for Valentine's Day dinner, but honestly I think it is going to be too cold to go out anyway, and he wants to get the downstairs floor finished. It will be nicer to just stay in and be home.

It is bitter cold right now -- it has been spitting little hard bits of snow at us, too. We should try to remember today when it's 98 degrees this summer.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2016 :  6:31:03 PM  Show Profile
Where is everyone today? It didn't snow here yesterday but probably will tonight. My shoulder is doing better. I have more mobility and don't need to take the pain reliever as often. which is good cause it's a narcotic and I don't like taking it.
Talked to my neighbor today and she has shingles. says it doesn't hurt but itches like crazy. I hope she gets over it quickly. she is a good person and a good neighbor.
My uncle took me to my appt. yesterday and said his daughter (my cousin) was expecting a boy. she and her husband have a three year old girl.
Is everyone planning something special for Valentine's Day? Marilyn, I have never taken an on-line class. Have always been a little intimidated by the idea. I'm a bit technologically-challenged.
I hope Valentine's Day is special for you.
cindy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page