StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2020 :  6:21:00 PM  Show Profile
I could make a meal out of that gravy alone!
Leftover soup and tapioca pudding.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade

Edited by - StitchinWitch on Jan 12 2020 6:21:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2020 :  03:55:05 AM  Show Profile
Judith I did for a small second serving of only gravy. I do my best not to have seconds but sometimes I give in and do.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  07:34:06 AM  Show Profile
BTW happy belated birthday, Barbara! I think I missed saying that last page. Also, Nancy, were you able to get the recipe for the squash and sweet potato casserole? Would love to try it.

Last night was back to cold after a wonderful warm snap. Had a friend and her daughter over Saturday night for an evening of sewing.We made soup bowl trivets. For dinner I made chicken and pasta in wine sauce (my dd’s favorite, and my go-to recipe). I also made bread and a nice salad with greens, blueberries, danish-fried onions (a bit, for crunch). Fpr dessert, my friend baked and frosted a layered chocolate cake with white icing, filled with raspberry mousse and some lemon shortbread (all dairy free and sooooo good. For the filling she used raspberry pie filling mixed with dairy free cool-whip).

Last night I made homemade cream of cauliflower soup - so satisfying. I substituted almond milk for the cream and it was just as creamy and good.

WHat’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  07:34:43 AM  Show Profile
PS I also could make a meal out of that gravy! YUM!!!!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  09:32:47 AM  Show Profile
Chicken parmesan tonight... It's getting chilly again! We need some bone-warming food to soothe the chilled soul! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  5:32:38 PM  Show Profile
Vegetarian dinner tonight after our fat and carb overload last night. Eggplant parmesan and broccoli.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2020 :  6:50:54 PM  Show Profile
OOOOO chicken parm. I have not had that in ages, Nini!

Judith, I hear ya. May need to do that soon!

Tonight is a snowstorm. I made a yummy pepper steak in the Dutch oven. It is strips off cube steak, tomatoes, peppers, onions, soy sauce, ginger, and spices over rice. Salad with greens and fruit on the side. I made homemade chicken tenders in the air fryer for my dd since she isn’t able to eat beef these days. For dessert, dd and I baked chocolate chip cookies.

Yesterday we attended a “Prohibition Pary” at a local restaurant. The menu was special, from the 20’s (1920’s). We had filet minion on toast topped with Gorgonzola as an appetizer, lemon chicken, and for dessert lava cake. People were dressed up like the 1920s.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2020 :  7:03:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nicole, no not yet. I didn't get to go to church last two Sundays. Hopefully I will see the sister tomorrow. I will give her my email so she can send the recipe to me then I will share it. It was so good.

TW

STAND FOR THE FLAG...KNEEL AT THE CROSS !
Grateful, Thankful and Blessed!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2020 :  7:29:06 PM  Show Profile
Baked BBQ chicken wings and German potato salad..
No dessert tonight,, we kind of blew our diet yesterday... lol! (although I have a secrete stash of M&M's hubby doesn't know about!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Jan 19 2020 7:29:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2020 :  1:55:16 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I hear ya! I baked chocolate chip cookies this past Saturday...they are almost all GONE. (Insert doe-eyed shocked look here, lol). It has been very cold and snowy so I have wanted to cook and bake. Tonight I am making a shepherd’s pie for my hubby. He will be so happy when he gets home from work. It is one of his favorites. I will brown ground beef (which technically makes it “Potters Pie”, via my UK friends). I will season it and make a light gravy from beef broth. I use onion, chopped fresh tomatoes, frozen peas, and sage to season, topping with mashed potatoes and a bit of cheddar on top. So yummy and warm on a cold day!

Grace, how do you make your German Potato salad? I have a recipe for one but haven’t made it in eons!

What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2020 :  10:11:34 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday it was a very cold and snowy day. I made chicken and dumplings for supper. Our 26 yr old grandson is laid off until Spring thaw. He was traveling from parents to grandparents to visit. He said his other grandmother was making chicken and dumplings too. He decided to make the same for supper. We had a wonderful and messy time as he learned to make his great grandmother's noodle recipe. I also gave him her dumpling recipe. He took the noodles he made home for his own dinner. I'll bet his wife was happy. He is usually the cook for their family. We will have left overs tonight.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2020 :  8:25:58 PM  Show Profile
Tonight we had good old fashioned burgers with lettuce, tomato and onion, and homemade oven fries. Sometimes you just get a hankerin', you know?

Tomorrow it's going to be homemade spinach pies (calzone style). SO good!

Oh my gosh, Nicole... I haven't made chocolate chip cookies in a month of Sundays! I didn't even get to make Christmas cookies this year! WEIRD. And such a bummer... no "little somethin' somethin' to nosh on after the holidays! Maybe I'll make chocolate chip cookies for the guys for Valentine's Day this year! Thanks for the inspiration! Now I'm craving them... Oh my poor hips!!! ;)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2020 :  11:17:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls!

Okay, so I am a big vintage kitchen lover, and don’t fall for a lot of new fangled gadgets...but I went to a potluck about a week ago at a neighbor’s house. All of the ladies were raving over the “Instant Pot”. Told DH about it, and we went online. Got the prettiest one (Pioneer Woman model) with vintage flowers on it from Walmart on CLEARANCE with free shipping. Okay, so I have used it several times and now LOVE it!

SO far, my favorite dish was the Better than takeout Chicken Fried Rice. Picky teenager daughter ate THREE helpings! I wanted to upload a photo but can’t get it to work right now. So much healthier and tastier than the take out kind!

I made yummy air fried chicken on Friday, with a side of creamy (non dairy, low fat) mashed potatoes, and a Broccoli, cranberry, and apple slaw with a maple syrup vinegrette. SO yummy and I made enough for two days.

Tonight I think I am making white bean turkey chili again, as it is a request.

What’s on your plate?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2020 :  12:46:57 PM  Show Profile

That was the first thing I made in my Instant Pot. SO yummy! Will make again.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2020 :  12:47:55 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I made blueberry lemon bread on Friday. All gone but now Hubs has requested chocolate chip cookies again, lol!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  1:08:02 PM  Show Profile
Every thing sounds so good. Hubby was home and made chili for us. I sure love to get out of cooking. Love to read what you all are making. Keep on cookin!

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2020 :  05:52:02 AM  Show Profile
Tonight I'm making gyro burgers and serving with a Greek salad with lemon dressing. Yum! I cannot WAIT for dinner! Our favorite Greek restaurant closed a couple of years ago due to a landslide on their property... MAN do I miss their gyros! But my guys agree, tho, these burgers are a pretty nice alternative!

Nicole - tell us more about that prohibition dinner! Somehow I missed that! Must have been a blast!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2020 :  06:01:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh.. and Nicole...our local dairy had its January "white sale" last month... buy any half gallon and get a free quart of vanilla. We stocked up last week. I told my hubby it had to last, and that just because we have it doesn't mean he has to consume it, and that a few special occasions were coming up, so pleeeease don`t go crazy behind my back. On more deaf ears could my words not have fallen. I shoulda just made a batch of cookies... I don't know when he finds time, but I went to get meat out of the freezer yesterday... Two half gallons down! Lol. He is KILLING me with this sweet tooth!! Oh, well... as long as he is happy!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2020 :  11:43:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nini! Okay, first off, you have me at “Gyro Burgers” - do tell! How do you make them? I am part Greek and that dinner sounds divine! Funny that I am not the only one who “hides” the ice cream in the downstairs freezer!

This past week, we have had my white bean turkey chili, chicken in wine sauce (family favorite), Danish Pork Meatballs in Curry sauce with a side of pickled red cabbage, and eggs, kale, tomatoes and arugula sandwiches with fresh roasted potatoes on the side. Tonight I am making something in the Instant Pot. I also have a whole chicken to make in the air fryer rotisserie this weekend.

What is on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2020 :  10:06:09 AM  Show Profile
Nicole all your dinners sound wonderful.

This morning I made butternut squash soup with a recipe in my "High on the Hog" cookbook compiled by the Durning House B&B in Van Alstyne, TX. Food and cookbooks can take me down memory lane so this morning memories of the luncheons I attended at the Durning House B&B Restaurant have flooded my mind. I first met the owners, Brenda & Sherry, forty years ago before the vintage house became a B&B and it was an antique shop. Brenda passed a couple of years ago and Sherry last month. The Durning House is now closed but I'm sure women all over north central Texas have fond memories of lunch at the Durning House.

The soup was fantastic and worthy of being served in my vintage French soup bowl I found in a antique shop in Bonham, TX - here I go down memory lane again. The recipe called for a dollop of sour cream but I didn't have any so I used yogurt and liked it. Another substitution I made was it called for curry powder so I used MJF Eastern blend which proved to be a good choice.

Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1399 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1399 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2020 :  1:17:36 PM  Show Profile
Almost every Sunday, my husband wants homemade tomato sauce, meatballs and macaroni. You would think he was Italian and not Swedish. LOL

Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it.
Cards by Joan Creations on FB
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2020 :  08:32:19 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I have been marking recipes in the Texas slow cooker cookbook you sent me while ago. I want to try them in my Instant pot slow cooker mode and see how they turn out.

I have been making nice dinners lately. Spring is in the air, and we got some warm days, but it is cool again though sunny. I made some split pea soup that was to die for with homemade croutons, and yesterday was “MaryJanes Budget Mix Day”. First I made yummy pancakes for dd and me for breakfast with maple syrup, using Budget Mix. Then we had chicken and dumplings last night, using MJ’s recipe. It is the best ever! I love Budget Mix, I have a big bulk bag that I freeze and use a bit at a time in a jar in the kitchen. Almost to the bottom. Love the convenience and that it is organic.

Tonight, I am toying with what I am in the mood for. Any good ideas?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2020 :  2:31:33 PM  Show Profile
I needed to make a dish for a funeral so I made my chicken and tamale casserole knowing there would probably be some leftover as it makes a lot. I love it but seldom make it anymore as it just makes too much for just the two of us. There was just enough leftover for dinner.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2020 :  2:47:03 PM  Show Profile
Judith, casseroles are always good to take to funerals. Your's sounds interesting - what goes in it?

My sister dropped off several slices of grilled bologna that her grandson made. If you never had the good fortune of eating grilled bologna well all I can say is bless your heart. It is so good. Thinking about making mac n/ cheese tomorrow to go with it.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2020 :  2:57:20 PM  Show Profile
Sara -- it's super easy as long as you can operate a can opener. Two cans of tamales broken in pieces in the bottom of the casserole dish. You can use real tamales but we never have any leftover. A big handful or two of cooked chicken in bite sized pieces on top of the tamales. Mix one bottle of chili sauce, one can of corn, and a can of olives and pour over the top. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over all and bake for about 45 minutes at 350.
It's one of those recipes I keep the ingredients for as it's quick to make if you get unexpected company.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page