YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2019 :  11:50:14 AM  Show Profile
Nicole my sister and I ate lunch at the Paris Coffee Shop so that's my big meal for the day - the best kind - no cooking or clean up. I had a bacon, tomato, avocado, & cheddar cheese sandwich on wheat bread. I've been cutting back on bread & cheese so a sandwich was a real treat. When you order a sandwich they give you a piece of paper with all their sandwich ingredients on it. You circle what you want on your sandwich. Also indulged in a cup of coffee with heavy cream & sugar. My favorite way to have coffee.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2019 :  12:05:17 PM  Show Profile
Nicole -- I raised a daughter with milk allergy 45+ years ago when soy was the only available alternative and she didn't like it. It was quite a challenge; reading labels was an absolute necessity as it seemed caseinate was in everything. Heredity probably played a part as almost all the females in the family had the same problem when young, me included. We all grew out of it at some point. There is now a vegan cheese you might try. There are now many non-dairy alternatives, even ice cream made with coconut milk. I made my daughter ice cream with Mocha Mix as a treat for her birthdays.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2019 :  1:39:16 PM  Show Profile
Sara---that lunch sounds so good and much fun. Last night Hubby made a pizza and all I had to do was make the dough. Tonight he is cooking steaks, potatoes, and broccoli. All I had to do was make the bread. It is great fun not having to cook for two days. Back to the work week grind in the morning.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2019 :  6:04:25 PM  Show Profile
Gee Barbara! I wish I had a companion cook in my kitchen!

Tonight I’m making Joanna Gaines’ Perfect Roast Chicken from her Magnolia cookbook. It’s stuffed with lemon, rosemary and thyme all from the garden, and smeared with herbed butter. Baked in a cast iron skillet.
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2019 :  8:18:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I went to my church's Ladies Christmas luncheon last Saturday. One of the sisters brought a sweet potato and butternut squash dish. It was soooo good I asked her how she made it. Basically it was BN squash, onion, sweet potatos, S&P and rosemary. She didn't have exact ingredients measurement. I found a recipe close enough on You Tube and made it last night. I also made salmon with dijon mustard and panko bread crumbs. Hubby loved all of it. It was good but I need to get with my church sister and see if she will give me her full recipe. I didn't realize how tasty squash can be.

TW

STAND FOR THE FLAG...KNEEL AT THE CROSS !
Grateful, Thankful and Blessed!

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2019 :  1:57:13 PM  Show Profile
WOW---now you ladies will be really amazed. Hubby stayed home due to an ice storm. He did all my chores and made chicken soup for supper---the reason---tomorrow is my birthday---I'm 63. He let me sit all day and write my Christmas cards and notes to people---it took all day. I feel like a queen---but just for a day---LOL. Back to the grind tomorrow at my little cleaning job for my grade school spoiled baby friend. It's not easy being mother to someone your own age---LOL. Nancy---we grow winter squash and eat it all winter---it is almost as good as sweet potatoes. I'm glad you're tuned in to how tasty it is. If you are gardening this summer---please try some tasty squash---but there is more tastier kinds than butternut. Check out some seed books.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2019 :  05:33:38 AM  Show Profile
Nancy I sent you a PM several days ago and haven't heard from you. I know PM don't always go through. Please send me a PM.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2019 :  6:59:24 PM  Show Profile
Last year when I went to Texas to meet up with my husband his family bought tamales for dinner. I am extremely sensitive to chili peppers and I spent all night being extremely sick . I am making tamales to bring for dinner. I've been my family's tamale maker for the past 45 years . This year I'm making sweet corn tamales. If anyone wants heat they can add it themselves. I'm having one for dinner to make sure they are good. The rest will be frozen and packed in my suitcase next week.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade

Edited by - StitchinWitch on Dec 14 2019 7:00:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2019 :  06:19:00 AM  Show Profile
I can't stand chili peppers or anything hot and spicy. Hubby often makes stuff with hot peppers and I can barely eat it---but he persists with the hot food as he likes it. Why eat something that burns your lips off and you can't even taste it.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2019 :  09:38:24 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, my DH is the same; the hotter the better. Fortunately once he saw how throwing up sick they made me he keeps the chilies to himself. It seems to be the practice now for many restaurant and frozen foods food to be made with chilies (and/or cilantro). I've eaten in restaurants in the Middle East, Mexico, and Central America and most food in restaurants there are served mild and if you want heat you add it yourself in whatever amounts you choose, Not so in the US anymore. Even many Trader Joe's frozen items are too hot for me.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2019 :  10:36:54 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, I agree, winter squash are so easy to grow and very satisfying to eat!
I am a fan of Delicata, and have recently converted to bush Delicata as they produce a lot without taking up space.
You can’t go wrong with butternut.
But Buttercup has a unique, nutty flavor that I love!
And another new favorite of mine is Sweet Meat. They grow very large and are both velvety and delicious. If I had to survive the winter on those, it wouldn’t be that hard!
I have to agree with Barbara tho; sweet potatoes are a step better. I just haven’t been successful growing them where I am. And I like to fill my garden with stuff that could sustain us through an emergency. Winter squash definitely do that.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2019 :  10:44:58 PM  Show Profile
Tonight I made pheasant pot pie. My men have been bringing in a steady flow of birds on the weekends, and Sunday I made a crockpot full of five pheasants in a sauce of cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, onions, mushrooms and lots of bacon draped over the birds. It was a successful way to make moist pheasant, but not easy to serve since it was full of the bones. So I fished out all the meat and made tonight’s dish.
I think the crock pot is a great way to maximize these small birds and make use of legs and thighs. But next time I’ll use a different form of moisture to cook it.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2019 :  09:53:31 AM  Show Profile
Sara -- I miss pheasant. We used to have a lot of them around here but I think hunting and creeping surburbanism has eliminated all of them. as I haven't seen one in 10-12 years. I remember one year I made pheasant, mushroom and wild rice casserole for Easter dinner. They're not only good to eat but pretty to look at too.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2019 :  2:13:48 PM  Show Profile
I have never had pheasant---but hubby has always wanted to try it.

He would love that crockpot meal. He is a great fan of mushrooms.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2019 :  05:53:13 AM  Show Profile
I haven't had pheasant either. Quail is the only wild fowl I've eaten.

Today it's butternut squash cornbread dressing casserole with pork chops on top.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2019 :  9:46:26 PM  Show Profile
Judith, you and I live on opposite ends of the same valley. I’m pretty sure the truth about our pheasants is that they are not native. They are upland game birds which were introduced to our flat lands.
When I was young there were so many pheasants that had naturalized that you would see a rooster fly across the road nearly every time you drove through rice country. I don’t know if it’s because hunting has become so popular, or our coyote population has increased so much, but it’s been years since I’ve seen a wild one.
My men hunt on “clubs” where they pay for a certain number of birds, those birds are released in the fields ahead of their arrival, and they have the great challenge of walking that check until they and the dogs have scared up and shot each one. Not quite what it used to be, sadly. But a cultural tradition where we live.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  12:45:16 PM  Show Profile
Sorry ladies, the last few weeks I had a sick teenager, then a sick kitty, and I got sick! Not an ideal Christmas but we made the best of it. Still nice.

ANYWAY, we are having a steak tonight with a side of Black eyed peas for luck. I think a great big green salad with mandarins in it will be good too. Last night we had Chinese takeout, a tradition for us. The other night I made the best dairy-free chicken pot pie, using almond milk with flour, chicken broth and plant butter. It was creamy and delicious, stock full of veggies and chicken. I seasoned it with tarragon. My dd and her bf loved it, and my husband said it tasted better than when made with cream.

As for pheasant, I have never eaten it either. We have been seeing them again in our town, for the first time in years.

What is on your table tonight?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2020 :  8:37:05 PM  Show Profile
Sara - I believe pheasants were brought here by Chinese during the gold rush era and rapidly adapted. There are several colorful varieties. The recent drought, loss of habitat, hunting, and increase of certain predators has almost wiped them out here. I miss them. I looked at the map and see you are about 90 north of me. I used to drive by Biggs every year when I went on shop hop to quilt shops up in that area.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2020 :  8:40:59 PM  Show Profile
Anyway, back to dinner. Tonight we had the leftovers of our New Years day dinner ; pork roast, sauerkraut, black eyes, and collards. Still as good as last night. Having leftovers and not having to cook gave me lots of time today to help get some projects done.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2020 :  09:04:47 AM  Show Profile
Judith, I wanted so much to tell everyone I wasn’t cooking last night! But I got over myself and found a recipe for andouille rice and beans which used homemade andouille, home canned tomatoes and tomato sauce, homegrown peppers from the freezer and a jar of home canned kidney beans. It was actually therapeutic for me to match the recipe to what I had stored, and I was no longer grumpy when everyone got home #128513;
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2020 :  09:27:09 AM  Show Profile
Sara, your dinner must have been so satisfying to put together - to know most of it was homegrown and home preserved.

I made chili this morning out of sautéed ground beef with onions from the freezer. All ingredients except for home canned pinto beans were from grocery store. It was easy to put together and all I had to do was stir it now & then while it slow simmered. Dang! I just remembered as I'm writing this I have home canned pumpkin in the pantry and I could have added it like Nicole does. There's always next time.

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2020 :  6:31:20 PM  Show Profile
It got super cold here again! Makes me want stews, soups, and roasts! Yesterday, I made my Autumn Pork Stew with cranberries, sweet potatoes, apples, and onions. It is seasoned with spicy mustard and butter, and is a family favorite! Tonight I wanted home style classics: I have pot roast, a potato medley of blue, red, yellow potatoes and sweet potatoes (made in the air fryer, waiting for them to finish as I type), a veggie slaw with cabbage, broccoli, carrots, raisins, cranberries, and cauliflower, and southern style collard greens. YUM! I cooked a lot of food, hoping there will be enough for a meal tomorrow, too!

What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2020 :  12:17:57 PM  Show Profile
Made pork chop curry with potatoes, carrot, and onion in sauce/gravy using my curry mixture. Very good. Hope I can duplicate the curry mix because I didn't write down what I did.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2020 :  12:32:19 PM  Show Profile
Sara -- I frequently forget to write down my recipes and when I do I forget where I put them. But sometimes what I'm trying to duplicate comes out even better.
We're going up to our trailer in the hills today so I chopped up a bunch of veggies, cooked some beans, put it all in a plastic bag to make a big pot of minestrone soup. That with a loaf of homemade bread and some tapioca pudding will make our dinner.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2020 :  08:11:10 AM  Show Profile
Today it's chicken thighs baked in the oven with mushroom yogurt gravy. Gravy made with home canned mushroom broth, store can of mushroom soup, yogurt, and baby portabella mushrooms. Will serve over large egg noodles.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page