Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2018 :  1:22:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

I am so sorry to have Ben away a bit. Missed this post, and you all.

How was eveyrone’s Easter? I cooked. After church, my best friend and her family joined us at our house. I made a glazed ham, cream potatoe casserole with nutmeg (Danish), steamed fresh asparagus and hollandaise sauce, fluffy rolls, and for dessert, a Chocolate glazed cake and meringues my daughter and I made the night before. For appetizers, we had deviled eggs and my friend’s husband brought his special sausage rolls (New Zealand). We were stuffed!

Ate leftovers yesterday as there was so much. Tonight my dd has a friend over who “only eats pizza”... so I am making homemade pizza. I think I will make a white pie.

What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2018 :  1:43:24 PM  Show Profile
Supper will be one dish roasted in the oven. One large portabella mushroom with olive oil, a thin layer of diced tomatoes with green chilies, topped with yellow Indian woman dried beans and grated 5-Italian cheeses.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2018 :  12:08:32 PM  Show Profile
Hello all! Hope everyone had a good Easter! We visited family, prime rib with creamy horseradish sauce was the main - yum! I made Cucumber Bites, Bacon Wrapped Brown Sugar Little Smokies and Deviled Eggs. And a lemon cheesecake topped with fresh strawberries and freshly whipped cream I added lemon zest to. Everything was so good!
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2018 :  2:13:27 PM  Show Profile
Indian woman dried beans? Never heard of these. Are they like pintos? Maybe?

Donna Farmgirl Sister #1487

Wheather therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2018 :  2:29:13 PM  Show Profile
Donna, yellow Indian woman heirloom beans is called Buckeyes in some areas. It's thought to be originally from Montana. In texture it resembles the black turtle bean. It's yellow/gold in color but when cooked it looks like pintos. Most beans lose their distinct color when cooked and look like pintos.

I buy heirloom beans from Rancho Gordo in CA - it's fun just to read about all the different beans. Today I pressured canned four pints of eye of the goat beans.

https://www.ranchogordo.com/collections/heirloom-beans

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2018 :  07:45:45 AM  Show Profile
Hello all! I've been roasting a lot of chickens lately and asking myself why I haven't been doing it sooner, lol. Last night we had cold roasted chicken and stovetop stuffing.

Tonight we are having Smoked Sausage and Roasted Butternut Squash.

I'm baking potatoes tonight too for making Baked Potato Soup tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2018 :  07:54:05 AM  Show Profile
I hear ya Jaime. I roasted a chicken last night in the cast iron skillet and rubbed with some turmeric. It was so flavorful, and the pot drippings were scrumptious.
Have been picking on it all morning. LOL
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2018 :  08:17:26 AM  Show Profile
Roasted chicken is yummy. I like to put lemon slices under the breast skin and in the cavity with garlic; thyme and/or rosemary.

Today it's kale potato soup with link sausage cooked in hambone broth, water, and white wine.

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2018 :  1:06:01 PM  Show Profile
Brother & sister-in-law arriving today. I will make chicken cutlets for carnivores and mushroom risotto and steamed veggies for the veggivore.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2018 :  10:20:15 AM  Show Profile
Sara- I think I live a very sheltered life because I have never heard of any of those beans. LOL Maybe I need to find a place to buy some of these. I live in Georgia. Pintos and Large Limas are about as "exotic" as it gets. Lol

Wheather therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2018 :  10:32:42 AM  Show Profile
Donna I had no idea the number of dried beans until I visited this site https://www.ranchogordo.com/collections/heirloom-beans

I have ordered from them for almost ten years.

Today I canned chow-chow so I made easy-does-it vegetable soup with smoked link sausage. I used leftover roasted potatoes, carrots, onions, green beans, garlic, dried spaghetti squash, dried celery leaves, home canned veg broth, and store can tomatoes and tomato sauce. Let it simmer for a couple of hours.

Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2018 :  11:21:31 AM  Show Profile
I ordered the Yellow Indian Woman beans and a couple of other things. I will let you know if I like them. Can't wait.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2018 :  05:48:03 AM  Show Profile
It’s been cold here AGAIN, so when I have cooked, it’s been comfort food! Made a big chicken with a spice rub (oh so good). You mix the spices together (if anyone wants the recipe, let me know, I’ll post). You just sprinkle over the chicken, slice some veggies like onions and carrots around it, and cover. It smells like Heaven when it bakes. We ate that with boiled baby potatoes and a kale stir fry I make with onion and dried cranberries. I just take a little olive oil, a chopped onion, and some kale. Stir fry and add a hand ful of the cranberries. It is soooo good!

The next night I made chicken pot pie with the leftover chicken, adding tarragon to it and mixed veggies.I topped with MJF’s drop biscuits using MJ’s Budget mix.

I also made chicken sausage links with a mango quinoa recipe I once got from MaryJane. It’s so good and different.

Tonight I am thinking crock pot. Any ideas?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2018 :  06:13:15 AM  Show Profile
Nicole please post your rub recipe.

Baked thick pork chops with brown rice, my canned dried Caballero white beans with my curry mix. I don't have a recipe to share for the curry mix. I don't remember all the ingredients or proportions - guess I should write it down when I am mixing up spices. MJ has a very good Indian rub in her Ideas Book. I make it when I have all the ingredients on hand.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2018 :  8:26:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi to all. Our supper as we hillbillies say was beef wellington, mashed potatoes with chives and a great big salad. Us hillbillies don't always eat cornbread and beans. It's my husbands birthday and I also made him a pistachio dream cake with cool whip icing. I am so full. We go to his 90 year old mothers for another dinner tomorrow---what a great eating fest for us---but I still have to wash all the dishes,

You Might Be a Redneck If---you've transported a goat in an economy car.---Jeff Foxworthy
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2018 :  06:54:47 AM  Show Profile
Sara,

Here is the rub:

Mix together: 1 tsp. organic sugar, 1 tsp. Garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon, 1 tsp. Cumin, 1 tsp. Paprika, 1 tsp. Coriander, 1/2 tsp. Pink salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp nutmeg. I use the whole amount for a whole chicken, then cover and bake.

I made roasted veggies the other night which I ate rewarmed for breakfast: Sweet potatoes, new potatoes, red potatoes, Brussels, red peppers, carrots, onion, and red beets. Tossed with cumin, garlic, salt and olive oil. Roasted them until browned. OH SO GOOD!

Last night, I made a pasta toss with gluten free penne, capers, natural apple smoked chicken sausage, feta, cherry tomatoes, fresh garlic, arugula, and olive oil and lemon juice. Yummy and fresh tasting.

TOngiht, I am not sure yet. Ideas?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2018 :  06:56:18 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, Oh my lol! Your post. I eat a lot of cornbread and beans, raised on it!!!

What is Beef Wellington? Have a good recipe?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2018 :  07:15:26 AM  Show Profile
Nicole thanks for the recipe - I have copied it.

We are sisters at heart for sure. I eat a lot of leftovers for breakfast. I prefer eggs and bacon/sausage for supper.

Been up since 7 and haven't eaten - still drinking hot tea. When I do get around to it it'll be a baked potato with apple cider vinegar with herbs.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2018 :  10:58:51 AM  Show Profile
Nicole---beef wellington is always my husbands idea, but I like it too. It's so easy. Buy a box of frozen puff pastry and four six ounce steaks. Brown the steaks in one tablespoon of olive oil and chill. Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper and some garlic powder if you like garlic before you brown them. Put one more tablespoon of oil in your steak browning skillet and saute a medium onion and two cups of mushrooms in it. Roll each piece of pastry to a 9 by 13 rectangle and cut in half. Place a steak on each half and top with the onions and mushrooms. Pull the corners together and seal them. Put on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes I may have misspelled saute, but I'm too lazy to look it up. I LOVE cornbread and beans. As a child of Appalachia that was our main meals. That and food from our garden---it was great. And I forgot to tell you to beat an egg and brush the pastry with it before you bake them.

You Might Be a Redneck If---you've transported a goat in an economy car.---Jeff Foxworthy
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2018 :  03:19:15 AM  Show Profile
Hey Barbara
I grew up in Orange County .ca. about just south of Disneyland and 8 miles from the beach. We ate breakfast, dinner and supper. Funny thing though, when I went to school I had to remember to call it lunch because it confused the other yougins.

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends. Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2018 :  6:46:55 PM  Show Profile
I fixed roasted flounder with chili and lime for us this evening.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2018 :  1:11:40 PM  Show Profile
Tonight we are having a cat fish fry on the grill at our rustic retreat. We are also having fried potatoes with fresh ramps we picked on our hike in the woods this morning. And to be healthy some broccoli. with parmesan cheese. Oh yes---home made bread is in the oven now. Happy days.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2018 :  2:10:54 PM  Show Profile
Barbara, set a plate! I'll be right over. WV only a couple of hours from me....LOL
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2018 :  07:15:11 AM  Show Profile
Barbara your dinners always sound so good!

Sadly, I am making meatloaf, only sadly because I am tired of making it, but I promised everyone when my dd came home from her trip I would, LOL! So, it is meatloaf, mash potatoes, beet salad, and chocolate organic pudding for dessert!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2018 :  07:27:19 AM  Show Profile
Nicole the next time you 'have' to make meatloaf think about doing it this way. I treat it like a roast and put potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic around it and put fresh rosemary sprigs on veggies. Dinner in one pan and since I use aluminum pan no clean up.

Today I'm making carrot/orange All-Bran muffins; zucchini/jalapeno pepper cornbread muffins so it's a nibbling day for me.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page