texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  12:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sara! Welcome! Your manicotti with butternut squash meal sounds terrific!

Saturday, my daughter made dinner as I was out later afternoon and she had homework. I came home to a gourmet lemon chicken with arugula salad meal! She has that recipe down pat! Yum!

Yesterday was Sunday Yankee Pot Roast, mixed green salad, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin bread.

This morning I got up extra early and we sat down to home fires with onions and peppers and fresh eggs from my girls. I also juiced fresh carrot juice, blood oranges, and then used it in the blender with a berry mix for a “shake”. Thought it was a good way to start a Monday.

Tonight I am making roasted mixed veggies - sweet potatoes, peppers, onions, squash, and heirloom purple carrots in the oven, served with hot rice for a Meatless Monday Meal!

What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2018 :  11:47:45 AM  Show Profile
I made some yummy things the last week with all the cold weather.

Did you know Costco now sells whole organic chickens? Very reasonable, too. I made a baked chicken with a spiced rub of garlic, paprika, cinnamon, nutmeg, and onions. I put it in my ‘clay baker’ which is from Pampered Chef 25 years ago. It’s basically a shallow round clay pan with an inverted clay bowl over top. It makes the most delicious, moist and easy tender chicken! For dessert, organic vanilla pudding.

Another meal was a quickie but goodie, when I was tired from teaching evening classes. “Pasta Toss” - I used gluten free penne from Trader Joes’, tossed with fresh cherry tomatoes, fresh garlic, fresh arugula, capers, Parmesan, onions and tossed it with olive oil and lemon. Light, filling and delish.

I also made a nice beef stew, with red wine last weekend.

Tonight is stroganoff, from a vintage cookbook. It has beef, fresh mushrooms, onions and sour cream. Will put it over mashed potatoes. I also want to make MaryJane’s Saturday Farmgirl cake for after dinner coffee.

What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2018 :  06:46:25 AM  Show Profile
It's 25 this morning so chili sounded good to me. In my enamelware cast iron Dutch oven I have a pint of my canned roast beef chili, a pint of my chipotle cranberry beans, 1/2 red onion, 3 garlic gloves, and 2 Tbsp olive oil. Will cook low for several hours for flavors to come together. In an hour or so I will taste and see if it needs more seasoning. It's chili so it should be spicy. Will have for lunch with cornbread cooked in iron skillet. Probably have it for supper too.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2018 :  06:23:15 AM  Show Profile
Made marinated turkey breast last night plus Roasted Butternut Squash with Pecan Walnut Parmesan topping - YUM!

Did a lot of cooking at home this weekend because of all the SNOW! Bacon Wrapped Jumbo Scallops in Garlic Lemon Butter sauce were dinner on Saturday!

Made Lemon Curd for the first time last night too - will be filling in a Lemon Bar Cheesecake I'm making for work potluck tomorrow. Got it in the fridge and realized I forgot to put in the lemon zest!!! UGH! Hopefully the lemon juice will make it lemony enough to pass this time. I want to make this cheesecake for Easter and this is my test run!

This cheesecake has a pastry crust and I made that last night too, will roll out and bake tonight.

And I'm making a big batch of Broccoli Cheddar Soup for potluck as well so I prechopped the broccoli and carrots and shredded all the cheeses so I can assemble quickly tonight. I've found that if I steam the veggies first and then add to soup it is ready much more quickly. I'll make it, cool it and then put in fridge overnight. I'll just put in the crockpot early tomorrow morning. It's a freezer recipe and I've also made it a day ahead before so it should be fine.

Oh! And I made a double batch of chili yesterday too! That was lunch and I froze the rest in single serving portions for my lunches!
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2018 :  05:51:22 AM  Show Profile
One of my closest friends lost her grandma day before yesterday - taking food over to her house tonight - made 5lbs of Pioneer Woman Mashed Potatoes (mashed with butter, cream cheese and heavy cream) and have that in a foil pan ready to go. Mississippi Mud Roast cooking in the crock all day today and I will shred that and put in another foil pan when I get home from work. Taking over buns and cheese slices to go with. And I made a big pan of brownies - plan on cutting those and putting in a foil pan with last of cookies from freezer stock.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2018 :  06:16:05 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, mashed potatoes is the best of all comfort foods. I'm sorry for your friend's loss and so glad she has a good friend like you.

I'm a fan of foil pans to take food in during times of grief or for any pot luck dinner. No clean up and you don't have to keep track of a favorite bowl or platter.

My sister is coming over for a early supper. Today it's beef fajitas with caramelized red onions, refried beans made from my canned chipotle pepper cranberry beans and Tex-Mex rice made with my blend of chili powder.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2018 :  10:35:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jaime, sorry to hear your friend lost her grandma. I am sure your wonderful dish was a big comfort. I am glad to see folks still do that.

Yum...Sara, one of my favorite meals!

Friday night was my turn to have my good friend for supper. I made cream of cauliflower soup - she kept hearing about it and wanted to try it. Now she asked for the recipe, giggle giggle. To go with it, I made two veggie quiches with some of the many eggs my chickie girls keep gracing me with. It was so good! Had the rest for breakfast yesterday.

Tonight is rainy and damp and grey. Making brown sugar meatloaf, veggie casserole, and mashed potatoes for my little family!

What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2018 :  10:54:25 AM  Show Profile
Nicole your dinners always sound so yummy.

I'm had my protein for the day so early supper (I eat my last meal between 4-5pm.) will be sauté red Swiss chard with baby bella mushrooms and a baked potato with a tab of butter and apple cider vinegar.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2018 :  1:06:47 PM  Show Profile
It has been a busy morning, slicing and freezing fruits and veggies from my monthly run to Costco. I made Mushroom Soup and froze it in batches for lunches and I just started tomato soup for dinner chuck full of left over veggies that didn't fit in the freezer and or refrigerator, along with a loaf of bread going in my bread maker that I will use to make grilled cheese sandwiches. The left over tomato veggie soup will be frozen into batches for lunches.

Sara, your supper sound yummy, I have never put vinegar on a backed potato, never thought of that, but I have put vinegar on French fries upon occasions.

Nicole, I have never heard of brown sugar meatloaf, but can image it must take wonderful as you can't go wrong with brown sugar. Is that a glaze or is it part of the meatloaf mix itself.

Jamie, I am so sorry about your friends grandmother, but what a wonderful friend you are to make and take all that food.

Jana

http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2018 :  1:26:53 PM  Show Profile
Jana I started putting AC vinegar on baked potatoes when I heard a doctor on TV say it helps to keep the potato from going to sugar as fast. I'm been doing it for over six years and like it. I use AC vinegar which I steeped herbs. I will us it on the Swiss chard too.

I don't have a problem with sugar but I am at a age where it can become a problem.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2018 :  1:58:32 PM  Show Profile
OOOOO I love that idea! I love AV and balsamic vinegars...so tasty! Will have to try that on potatoes! Delish!

Jana, the “brown sugar” part is the topping. I make my meatloaf with a little chopped onion, an egg, a little milk, bread crumbs, basil, oregano, salt and a bit of ketchup in the mix. Helps make it very moist! Sometimes, I will chop up a bell pepper, too.

For the topping, take 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 Tablespoon brown sugar, and 1 tsp of dry powdered mustard. Brush the top of the meatloaf before baking. It is sooooo good.

Last night we had a huge storm and my dd has been sick. She had swimming at school and there is no heat in the dressing rooms! ARGH! Anyway, I made a big pot of my magic elixir chicken soup, and on the side I made homemade cornbread served with Irish butter and drizzled with a little local honey.

Tonight it is the rest of the chicken soup. Tomorrow I am thinking white pizza. We shall see.

What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2018 :  2:05:07 PM  Show Profile
Hint for meatloaf I saw on America's Test Kitchen on PBS. Put 1/4-1/2 baking soda in meatloaf and it will help it to brown and keep the ground beef from being heavy. I now use baking soda anytime I cook ground beef.

Yesterday I defrosted a rib-eye but today I didn't want steak so I cooked it like it was a small roast with all the veggies and a bottle of Killians Red Irish Beer. Dare I say it - it was better than steak. Left overs will be soup for tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2018 :  2:08:43 PM  Show Profile
Sara, does the soda make it taste salty? Interesting!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2018 :  2:10:49 PM  Show Profile
I can't tell any difference in the flavor - only the texture.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2018 :  06:48:36 AM  Show Profile
Made a low carb stir fry last night...I took my normal stir fry sauce and subbed 1 tsp of Stevia for the 3.5 T of sugar. Used one batch to marinade the beef and one that I used to add to stir fry once everything was cooked. Used Bok Choy, Carrots, Mushrooms, Green Onions and Broccoli for the veggies. Turned out really good! Used 1/2 tsp of psyllium husk powder to thicken the sauce at the end. It worked okay, but I'd probably try something else next time.

I love how the food looks when you're making stir fry! It makes me feel like I know what I'm doing! lol
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2018 :  07:47:56 AM  Show Profile
Well, my white pizza turned out terrific! I used my homemade pizza crust recipe, but without the wheat flour (just used organic white flour). I rolled it out on a pizza stone dusted with corn meal, then put the mozzarella cheese on, dollops of ricotta, a sprinkle of garlic powder, a sprinkle of fresh organic Parmesan, a dash of pink salt, snipped fresh basil all over and a drizzle of olive oil. Baked at 425 for 15 minutes, served with a salad of romaine, kale, tomatoes and carrots with an apple cider dressing. YUM!

Hubby cooking tonight. SOmething from Denmark. Will keep ya posted.

Jaime, your stir fry looks yummy!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2018 :  08:09:33 AM  Show Profile
Jaime your stir fry looks pretty and tasty.

Nicole your white pizza sounds great.

Canning black beans this morning so will use leftovers in a Tex-Mex dish for lunch. Don't know what yet.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2018 :  06:02:03 AM  Show Profile
We put the rub on a whole beef brisket last night! Very exciting! We'll be smoking it all day saturday for DH's brother's 50th birthday party we are hosting! I'm making the horseradish sauce tonight and Creamy Parmesan Dressing for the salad. I'll also be making Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Browned Butter Sauce, Rhodes Rolls and Miss Polly's Perfect Potatoes - a dish I haven't made in years but remember fondly - definitely NOT low calorie!!! lol
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2018 :  07:11:02 AM  Show Profile
Jamie, sound absolutely delicious. I'll head up tomorrow. What should I bring your BIL gift wise?? LOL

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

Edited by - nubidane on Mar 18 2018 08:33:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2018 :  5:15:36 PM  Show Profile
Tonight is St. Patty’s feast! I found organic cabbage in my store, which I have steamed, and have a nice Corned Beef almost ready. Made MaryJane’s soda bread (such a good recipe) and little round baby potatoes. My table is decorated and topped with my grandmother’s hand made table cloth.

For dessert, organic vanilla ice cream topped with crushed Thin Mint cookies. It’s GS cookie time.
What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2018 :  06:56:00 AM  Show Profile
Lisa - LOL! We missed seeing you yesterday!

Nicole - Sounds delicious! What a feast!

Ended up making more food for my girlfriend that recently lost a grandparent - her other grandmother passed away now too. :( Took over a simple cheesy pasta bake, cheesy garlic bread, seasoned oyster cracker snack and some blondies and PB bars.

Yesterday I did a test run on a lemon cheesecake for Easter and also made a couple loaves of banana bread- dropping one off for my MIL.

I think we are grilling tonight - burgers and brats!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2018 :  08:18:14 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I made a spring soup with two of my home canned foods. 1 pt tomatoes & green beans; 1 pt veg broth; 1/2 8oz can tomato sauce; one serving of frozen smelt spiral pasta; dried onions/garlic; herbs and Tabasco sauce. It came together so easy and was so good.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2018 :  06:32:11 AM  Show Profile
Sounds yummy, Sara! Isn't it satisfying to use those home canned items??? I love it!
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2018 :  06:14:26 AM  Show Profile
Hay there. I have to work a half day in the garden of my friend so I am planning on Sante Fe Soup for dinner. It's quick and easy and oh so hearty. I like mine with sour cream but I think I am out so that means a stop at the store along the way home. If I'm lucky and have enough time I will make a pan of cornbread too. Hugs to everyone this Saturday. Get out there!!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2018 :  06:15:58 AM  Show Profile
PS....I will be adding some of last year's steed tomatoes.....making room for this year's harvest!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page