True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2017 :  06:28:06 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, nibbles works for me.

Today is grocery shopping day so it's nibbles or something from the deli.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2017 :  09:32:47 AM  Show Profile
Nicole - Thanks for the recipe info! You're the best! And your slaw sounds divine!!! Yum!

Tonight I am making burgers to throw on the grill. I'm going to mix the meat with egg and a box of stuffing mix, throw in some Worcestershire sauce and other seasonings and blue cheese crumbles.

To go with I'm going to try a recipe I found for grilling Parmesan Garlic Asparagus...

I'm really into grilling right now - if you guys can't tell! :)
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2017 :  06:00:02 AM  Show Profile
Burgers turned out great! So yummy!

Asparagus was ok, we prefer my normal recipe - roasting in oven then using a Balsamic Browned Butter Sauce instead - but we tried it!

I also made grilled peaches with cinnamon sugar butter - VERY good!

Tonight is a leftovers night I think!
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2017 :  7:11:55 PM  Show Profile
Tonight I made a wonderful pork roast with garlic and fresh rosemary from the garden with roasted potatoes and veggies. Yum!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2017 :  05:27:45 AM  Show Profile
I'm determined this summer not to have us in a "food rut". Last night, I made Greek Spaghetti - a recipe my grandmother taught my mom to make in the 1950s. It is sweet - made with cherry wine and cinnamon. It makes the kitchen smell AMAZING! I also made a real Greek salad with homemade Greek dressing. This week, I also hosted my Farmgirl Chapter for a "Salad Swap". Everyone brought a salad and the recipe. I made my Texas Waldorf Salad, and we had meatballs, bread, and several good salads like a homemade Caesar and a wonderful potato salad. I made MaryJane's Saturday Farmgirl Cake with fresh blueberries. Another night, I made Danish Meatballs in curry sauce over rice. Trying to not use the oven too much this summer. What's on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2017 :  08:23:45 AM  Show Profile
Nicole please share the Greek spaghetti recipe. I want to make it. If I can't find cherry wine what would be a good substitute?

I do all my 'big' cooking in the mornings. Today I put together a dish that turned out so good but may not be able to do it exactly the same way again. I made it with ingredients I had on hand. Small batch pasta from the Paris Olive Shop; small eggplants from my sister's garden; Lidia's meat spaghetti sauce from my freezer; leftover Three Bridges Marianna sauce; my homemade bread crumbs; and a 1/2 pkg of 5 Italian blend grated cheese.

Don't you just love it when a little of this and that comes together to make a tasty dish.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  06:09:45 AM  Show Profile
Tonight we are having steaks on the grill! We were supposed to have them yesterday but DH and I both forgot to get the steaks out of the freezer in time. So we had smoked sausage and Cucumber Avocado Salad for dinner instead. We said afterwards that we could have skipped the sausage and just eaten the salad - it is SO good!

In any case, I've used this marinade on the steaks before and we loved it so looking forward to making them tonight. I'll do so hobo potato packets on the grill too and probably use up the last of the asparagus by roasting it and dressing with a Balsamic Browned Butter sauce. Yum!
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2017 :  8:12:55 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I will mail you a card with my recipe hand written! It is a special one. I actually made the same meal again for a friend and her daughter tonight! I had promised her I would make it and since I have a bottle now of that special wine that goes in the Greek spaghetti, it was good timing. If you can;t find the cherry wine, I have used others, but you want it to be "sweet" red, not dry or it wont't taste right.

Jaime, your cucumber avocado salad sounds so good and refreshing! What do you dress it with?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2017 :  04:59:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Nicole for the recipe and taking the time to hand write it. That makes it special to me. I will look for the cherry wine - If I find cherry brandy I wonder if I could mix a little of that with a sweet red.

This morning is Farmer's Market so lunch will be fresh veg. Supper will be leftover homemade chili from canning chili yesterday and home canned pinto beans.

I'm hungry for salmon patties so will make some tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

1Anne
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Anne
Lebanon CT
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2017 :  06:36:14 AM  Show Profile
Sara and many others!!! - I love that you all do what I dream of doing: canning, dehydrating, ect, ect, ect!!! Thanks to all for the journey!!! :-) Anne

Yes, in God I trust.
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2017 :  4:33:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Anne! Welcome!

Crazy weather! It was really cold the other day, so I made chili. Last night was hot again, so we grilled steak on the bar be que, and had veggie packets - foil packets on the grill filled with red and white new potatoes, red onion, and yellow peppers, tossed with olive oil and garlic. Tonight I made a chicken broccoli casserole that is in the oven now. On the side, a salad with greens and snap peas from the garden.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2017 :  06:26:21 AM  Show Profile
Made a roast in the crockpot yesterday - threw in baby potatoes, carrots, onions and whole mushrooms. Took a long time to be done but it was GOOD! I've made this roast before and the flavor is great - super simple - you just put in and sprinkle the top with a mix of a bit of brown sugar, thyme, celery seed and garlic powder. Then you pour a little soy on top, throw in a bay leaf and let it go.

Great to eat as is or I've also shredded the beef and used in Creamy Beef Taquito filling which is freezable. I don't think we will have enough leftovers for that this time though!
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2017 :  05:49:44 AM  Show Profile
Just got back - hubby surprised me with tickets to visit my mama in Georgia! Oh my - what good eating there was!

This week, I have made some good dinners. I was still in 'soul food mood', so one night I made a mock-fried chicken. No recipe - just pounded the chicken thin and rolled it in olive oil, then buttermilk, and finally crushed corn flakes. I seasoned it with a little Cajun spice, garlic, and pink salt. I baked the breasts at 375, turning once. My daughter asked me to do that again - she loved it.

I also made a meatloaf, my dd's favorite, but realize mine is not as good as my mama's! She soaks her bread in milk first. Tacos were one night - soft corn with lettuce, organic ground beef, a little cheese and yogurt. Yum!

Jamie your roast sounds relish!

Tonight I will grill a pork tenderloin with a Texas rub. What's on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2017 :  09:28:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi y'all, I'm new on this thread. I was wondering if anyone has tried the eggplant patties that were in the last issue of MJFarm Magazine? I was thinking of doing that tonight but wanted some feedback if anyone had tried them.Thanks a bunch!

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2017 :  05:03:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Katie, I haven't tried them yet, (want to) but I have never been disappointed with a MJF recipe! Go for it!

Last night, my 15 year old DH wanted to make dinner with a cookbook she bought for first time cooks. She made Lemon chicken with arugula and roasted cauliflower with fresh sage. It was AMAZING! Like being at a fine restaurant!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2017 :  06:17:53 AM  Show Profile
Mmmm, that cauliflower looks yummy!

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2017 :  05:45:38 AM  Show Profile
We have been in a horrible fast food/take out rut lately - illness, events, etc. have all conspired against us. :( Last night we broke the cycle and made tacos - simple and quick!

I also put some chicken breasts in a marinade for grilling tonight. I'll probably make some Cucumber Avocado Salad to go with. If not that it will be green beans and cinnamon applesauce from the pantry - both are good!

Will try to find another pack of ground beef in the freezer to thaw and cook tonight to jumpstart a dinner of spaghetti for tomorrow. I'm still dragging in my energy levels from having the flu last week but eating all that junk sure didn't help things either - ugh!
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2017 :  07:10:39 AM  Show Profile
Sorry you were feeling so poorly Jaime, but hopefully you have kicked it and the fresh food will help! Cucumber Avocado Salad sounds wonderful. I can't make anything with avocado; it's one of the few foods the hubby just won't eat.

Continue your path of feeling better and enjoy your chicken!

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  06:11:55 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Katie! My husband normally doesn't like avocado, but this salad he can't get enough of! Go figure! Spaghetti last night went as planned! But I forgot to buy pizza sauce at the grocery store which puts a crimp in my plans to make homemade thin crust pizza tonight. Will have to either stop at store or change up my plans!
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  07:00:36 AM  Show Profile
I just have to share...I made the Eggplant Patties from MJF magazine last month and they were excellent. I had a little problem keeping them together, but that was me not the recipe. I highly recommend this recipe to anyone on the fence about trying it!!

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  2:30:27 PM  Show Profile
Jaime I'm so sorry you all have been sick! Hopefully you are all on the mend. If we lived closer I'd make my magic chicken soup for you. I love avocado. Eat it in lots of things or just with a little lemon and garlic powder. Good for your skin! One of my favorite recipes is a MJF one - a spread with chick peas. Katie I will have to try the Eggplant patties soon! I've got a bunch ready to pick in the garden.

Last night we had campfire food - ham and cheese pies, pizza campfire pies and s'mores at a friend's house.

Tonight is chilly - so it's chili!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2017 :  6:40:17 PM  Show Profile
Last night my friend's husband cooked dinner for us. He is from New Zealand. He made pork ribs in the crock pot and the most amazing potato cakes. They were thinly sliced and breaded then browned. Different from anything I have ever have, and not a fry. Potatoes are one of those things that can be done so many different ways, and interesting how different cultures make them.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2017 :  7:50:01 PM  Show Profile
Tonight we had chicken enchiladas and corn. The difference was I cooked the chicken and sauce in the crock pot. I put in the chicken a large can of tomatoe sauce, chopped chilies, half a chopped onion and don't tell Hubby a pkt. of taco season. I usually make the sauce separate from scratch but didn't have the time this morning. When I got home after running errands the house smelled so good. About 4pm I put everything together in a backing dish, sprinkled cheese and onions on top and put in the oven to let the cheese melt.

It was pretty good for store bought seasoning. Serve it with corn and now I am feeling stuffed.

TW

The fun begins where the pavement ends!
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2017 :  02:40:19 AM  Show Profile
Yum, Nancy! We had gluten-free (we're not gluten free, just trying to limit) Zucchini Beef Mac & Cheese. I followed the direction that were for Zucchini Mac & Cheese and then added Beef with sauteed onion. I used brown rice (happy to report they're excellent), Colby and smoked cheeses and a roux made with butter and gluten-free flour. It was excellent! I made enough to feed an army, so we'll probably "re-make" it later for this week by adding some homemade tomato sauce.

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2017 :  3:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Wow Katie that sounds so yummy. Hubby hates Mac n cheese. So I will have to make it for myself.

TW

The fun begins where the pavement ends!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page