YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  12:55:35 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back Nicole and glad you are feeling better.

I grocery shopped today so it's nibbles and frozen pizza.

Tomorrow it's a 3#Boston pork butt roast- it was in the marked down bin for $3.50. Will cook it with red onions and Guinness Stout. Serve with a rhubarb sauce in my Irish Country Cooking Cookbook. First time for me to cook rhubarb so bought only 4 stalks.

Also found a small skirt steak in the marked down bin for fajitas. Will cook tomorrow and freeze in single servings.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2017 :  07:23:15 AM  Show Profile
Big food weekend coming up! Making tartar sauce today for tomorrow night's seafood feast! Then DH's birthday is on Sunday and we are having family over for a big mid-day meal!

Saturday Dinner = Fish Sticks/Frozen Breaded Shrimp made in our NuWave Oven + Homemade Tartar Sauce (Red Lobster Copykat) + Cheddar Bay Biscuits + Some sort of vegetable, haven't decided yet

Sunday Birthday Lunch
= Lasagna, Salad with Creamy Parmesan Dressing (Carrabba's copykat recipe we love), Bread with copykat of Carrabba's dipping spices and for dessert a Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cheesecake...
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2017 :  05:09:32 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a fun birthday celebration with great food!

I made a meatloaf with potatoes and the best version of Waldorf salad! I ate the rest for lunch the next day, it was so good.

Here's the recipe: Mama's Waldorf Salad

2 cups chopped unpeeeled apples (I used 2 large organic Fuji)
3/4 cup diced celery
3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
2/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup mayo

Mix and chill!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  03:25:56 AM  Show Profile
I threw together a frittata or crustless quiche because my girls have been giving me lots of eggs! I took 8 eggs and mixed in fresh onion, kale, peppers, mushrooms, and celery that I pan browned first. Threw it in a pie pan and baked it. Voila! Delicious! For dessert, we had chocolate chip cookies that my daughter surprised me by making when I was out teaching a class! Sweet in more ways than one! :)

What's one YOUR table??

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  05:04:40 AM  Show Profile
Made a recipe that was created years ago during one of those phone calls with a girlfriend, i.e. "I have nothing to make in the house!" Here is what we came up with that I've made ever since:

Chicken Ranch Potato Bake

1-2 chicken breasts, raw, cut into pieces
4-5 Potatoes, preferably Red, cut into quarters
4 T Flour
4 T Butter
2 cups Milk, warmed
1 packet Ranch dressing mix
Grated Parmesan to taste

I put the chicken and potatoes in a baking dish then top with a white sauce made from the butter, flour and milk. Once it's thickened up I also whisk in the Ranch dressing packet then pour it over the chicken and potatoes. Sprinkle parmesan on top then into the oven until chicken and potatoes are done. Simple but really good!

I also happened to have a can of crescent rolls in the house, which I rarely do, preferring to make my own. But waste not! So I brushed them with a little garlic butter and rolled each up around half of a piece of string cheese. Brushed again with butter and baked until golden - VERY good!
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  06:48:33 AM  Show Profile
Last night we had Taco Dip - a layered dip I make in a 9x11 pan then chill until we want to eat it with tortilla chips. It was nice to have dinner already made in the morning!

Today I have two crockpots going! One is a tried and true Mississippi Roast - YUM! We'll have that with slices of cheese on buns.

Then I've got a smaller crockpot going with a new recipe I'm trying out - uses 2 lbs of red potatoes, cut in pieces, with a sauce made from 8 oz cream cheese, packet of Ranch mix and a can of cream of potato soup. We'll see how it turns out!
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  07:24:44 AM  Show Profile
Tonight we will have our meal that focuses on the letter of the week... the long u sound... We are having Umami Rich Lasagna, Fruit (green grapes, blueberries and strawberries) and probably salad.

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  06:30:20 AM  Show Profile
I think we will have Pasta Bake tonight. I just make a casserole from egg noodles, jarred spaghetti sauce, ground beef, mushrooms and cheese.

I'm looking for easy after this weekend. Did a ton of baking for DS's school fund raiser on Saturday.

10 pies, 6 sheet cakes, 2 layer cakes, and 8 9x11 pans of cakes and/or bars! I'm all baked out!!!
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  06:33:32 AM  Show Profile
Wow Jaime! That is A LOT of baking!!! I'm sure they appreciated all the goodies though!!!

Tonight we are having Pesto Chicken Pasta with Mushrooms, with a side salad

If anyone is interested, I actually posted our week menu on my blog! I've been getting a lot of requests for what we eat, so I thought that was the easiest way to do it.

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  6:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness! Everyone's dinners sound so delicious and interesting! Yum!! What time is dinner???

I made a classic family favorite. My mom used to make it for me all the time as a child - now 40 years later I make it when we need a little comfort food. We are having "One Pot Macaroni and Beef"...it smells Heavenly! It must be because of the Worcestershire sauce.

I also made chicken burgers one night with a side of mashed cauliflower one night. It was just right!

Another evening we had fajitas made with chicken, yellow squash, carrots, peppers and onions with grated cheese and yogurt. Yum! On corn tortillas.

I made steamed asparagus, a big yummy pot roast in the crock, and potatoes when the weather turned cool on Friday. We've been eating well!

What's on your plate?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  2:47:00 PM  Show Profile
We're trying a Street Kitchen yellow Thai curry dinner kit tonight.

~jess

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  5:09:50 PM  Show Profile
Tonight is Baked "Fried" Chicken, Mashed Potatoes & Gravy, and Peas

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - May 12 2017 :  06:21:01 AM  Show Profile
Tonight is Oven Chicken Fajitas! :)

And prep for tomorrow's Mother's Day Lunch (a day early to accommodate schedules). I'm making Onion Scallion Beef Stir Fry, Fried Rice and Polish Egg Rolls. I'll serve those with my home canned Asian Plum Sauce - YUM!
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - May 22 2017 :  05:51:02 AM  Show Profile
Made THE salad for dinner last night :)

Cranberry Gorgonzola -YUM! Granny Smith apple chunks, walnuts, sweet onion and a simple homemade dressing - delish!

Made some garlic butter bread sticks to go with!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  10:07:20 AM  Show Profile
Pork chop and mushroom curry out of the freezer. Eating out of the freezer is perfect for grocery shopping day.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - May 30 2017 :  4:58:02 PM  Show Profile
Mmmm...that curry sounds good, Sara!!! :) And hooray to eating out of the freezer!!! :)

We smoked ribs this weekend! Well, DH did. I made potato salad, pasta salad, deviled eggs, from scratch butterhorn rolls - which turned out AWESOME btw! happy dance! - homemade pimento cheese and two pies - one apple, one cherry.

We had company over, obviously, and have given lots away to friends who stopped by tonight too. Leftovers for dinner tonight for sure!
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  04:45:09 AM  Show Profile
Hay there, I really enjoy coming by this thread and seeing what everyone is feeding their families. I'm single now and an empty nester so cooking for one is a challenge. Ya'll give me some great ideas and I really appreciate them. Very creative combinations and a bunch I would like to see the recipes for. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Daizy

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  1:58:30 PM  Show Profile
Daizy, I've been cooking for one for 20 odd years so I have gotten pretty good at cooking just for me. Today was grocery shopping day so I've nibbled throughout the day. Just finished an early supper of a hunk of multi-grain baguette dipped in wild mushroom sage olive oil with a glass of Merlot. Later I may eat something green - haven't had my veggies for the day.

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  2:20:25 PM  Show Profile
Jaime, seriously. ..how did you get all of that baked for the bake sale in such a short time??? That is impressive!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2017 :  06:23:18 AM  Show Profile
LOL - I'm crazy, that's how!

I actually made all the pie crusts and froze them the week before, so all I had to do was let them thaw in fridge and roll them out as needed. I baked the layers for both layer cakes the week before and frozen them too. And two of the 9x11 cakes were made and frozen ahead.

I pre-measured all the dry ingredients for EVERYTHING and had it labeled in various containers and sitting in the pantry which made it so much quicker. Basically anything I could pre measure, be it lemon juice or zest or anything like that I did it.

The apple pie filling was made fresh but it's a super simple recipe and is quick. I used cake mixes for some of the sheet cakes, etc. Store bought frosting for some of them too.

It was FUN! :) And exhausting!!!

We had ham sandwiches and cucumber avocado salad for dinner last night. Tonight I'm making turkey breast in the NuWave, roasted asparagus with balsamic browned butter sauce and hobo potato packets - yum!
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2017 :  09:18:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi all,

Time got away from me! Sorry I haven't changed the dates lately. Jaime, what a feast!

I have been cooking up a storm lately. I tried my hand at making homemade barbeque sauce. Oh my goodness! I will NEVER buy store bought bottled sauce again! I am making another batch and will store in a large mason jar. One batch made a lot of sauce that we used with chicken on the grill 3 times, and two crock pot dinners of pulled pork that we ate on rolls with a side of potato salad or greens.

Last Sunday , I went to an antique fair all day with a friend, then their families came over afterward. I made burgers ahead of time with fresh organic beef, organic hot dogs, Waldorf salad, green beans with cherry tomatoes in a basil butter, and for dessert Maryjane's Farmgirl Saturday cake using fresh blue berries.

Tonight I have made a chick pea salad that is marinating with fresh herbs of mint, basil and thyme, tossed with feta, tomatoes, cukes and kale. I think i will make a grilled applewood chicken sausage with it.

Last night was chicken fajitas, a family staple.

What's on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2017 :  10:11:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nicole good to hear from you again and praying for healing from the tick bite. All your meals sound so tasty.

Yesterday I made a batch of basic potato gnocchi and froze it. Today I am using part of it for dumplings in store bought chicken broth. Added leek, fresh herbs - lemon grass, rosemary, thyme, sweet marjoram and 1 tsp sherry to broth and removed leeks & herbs before adding gnocchi and can of milk.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  07:31:43 AM  Show Profile
Nicole - Where did you find your BBQ sauce recipe? Are you familiar with the Sweet Baby Ray's brand- that is DH's favorite. I would love to find something I could make that would be like that! :)

We've been grilling a LOT! Most recently we tried something I found on Pinterest called THE BEST STEAK MARINADE and boy was it GOOD! Made foil packets of cut up red potatoes with butter and seasonings to go with. Also did some packets of cut up zuchinni, summer squash and asparagus the same way. So yummy!

Tonight we are trying a new recipe, Hawaiian Chicken Skewers - I've got the marinade in the fridge and it smells divine. The skewers will be threaded with bell pepper, red onion and chunks of fresh pineapple as well as the marinated chicken pieces. Can't wait!!!
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  11:34:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jaime,

I took a recipe after researching and looking in cookbooks, and "tweaked" it a bit. Made a second batch and it was just as good!

The original recipe was online here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/kansas-city-style-bbq-sauce-recipe-1928271

I decrease the ketchup to 1 cup. I used slightly less molasses as I have a bottle of organic molasses and find it has a stronger flavor than conventional. I added a few dashes of Tabasco sauce, and 1/4 cup additional water.

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2017 :  06:13:02 AM  Show Profile
Made chicken burgers with white breast meat (organic), served with avocado, tomato, and a home-canned relish I was given by a lady in town. On the side, since it was so hot, I made a slaw, but instead of cabbage as a base, used shredded broccoli and tossed it with dried cranberries and a buttermilk dressing. Family loved it!

Tonight I am not sure what I will make as dd is going to a friend's for dinner and dh is working. Hmmmm...nibbles?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page