Author Try This: Previous Topic Thrifty Fire Sarter Next Topic  

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  3:27:03 PM  Show Profile
DH and I heat our 1920s "farm cottage" entirely with wood. We have 2 big wood stoves in the downstairs level of our house, and they do a very good job keeping the place toasty.
Sometimes, in the mornings or after a long outing, the fires have gotten low and need a boost; and occasionally we even allow them to go out so we can clean them.
Getting a fire going again can be difficult; but I discovered a trick to get them going again in a jiff:

I save all my toilet paper and paper towel tubes. I also save all my dryer lint. (I usually use a clothes line, but in the winter, I do use my dryer more.)
I take the cardboard tubes and stuff them with the dryer lint, bits of bark, paper, etc. etc. When I need a quick fire boost/starter, I toss one of the tubes into the kindling material and light it up. The lint and card board burns slowly enough to catch the kindling on fire and before long, the stoves are burning hot again.

Just thought I'd pass this along!

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  03:50:57 AM  Show Profile
Hosanna that is an INCREDIBLE idea! DH and I heat our house with wood, and those firestarer things you can buy at Ace don't work very well, in my opinion. This sounds great though! I am going to start saving my dryer lint and my paper tubes. Thanks for this idea! We have a brand new Ashley stove (replacing an old LARGE cast iron one) that makes cleaning out the ashes simple due to an ash "drawer" in the bottom. But when it goes out, especially now that I am almost 41 weeks pregnant, I CAN'T make kindling. It's too hard for me! This sounds like a wonderful way to go though! Thank you!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9269 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9269 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  09:55:58 AM  Show Profile
Great idea, thanks for sharing. I mean everyone has tp tubes right? lol! I have to work on the lint as I try not to use the dryer to much. Makes the electric bill creep upwards!

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

OKCookee
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Chris
Oklahoma OK
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  10:48:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the great idea. We have been making them out of newspaper rounds (3 or 4 layers pushed into a muffin pan) then wood shavings and melted wax (old candles). These work quite good, but have been looking for something eles. The tubes and lint are a great idea. Will try next time we make them.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest".
Matthew 11:28

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  12:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks so much for sharing this, and today is just the day i needed this info. snowing and an amazing 15 degrees here at the farm. we have already had some weather in the low 70s so this storm was a big change for us.
thanks again for the hint.

love
frannie in texas
farmgirl sister#807
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  08:45:53 AM  Show Profile
I had to get a draft inducer for my stove. It is too small to hold a fire for the length of time that it takes me to go to work and get home again. I always have to restart it each time I use it. I use it mostly to keep the fuel oil bill down when I am home. I save the birch bark, old butter wrappers and such. With the draft inducer they usually do the trick the first time.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  07:28:08 AM  Show Profile
That is a really clever idea! Thanks so much for sharing

---
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

shelbyc
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

shannon
murdale british columbia
Canada
72 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  2:59:24 PM  Show Profile
We have been taking cardboard egg cartons and stuffing them with the dryer lint we saved up. Then we pour melted wax over that. It really works well, burns for quite a long time, so wood can get burning. I like the other ideas as well!
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  5:25:30 PM  Show Profile
Lots of great ideas!

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

embchicken.blospot.com

Go to Top of Page

pmburk
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Pamela
Fort Worth TX
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  7:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Send pmburk a Yahoo! Message
We don't heat our home with wood, but I have used the TP rolls/dryer lint as firestarters for camping. They work great and best of all, basically free!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  03:44:40 AM  Show Profile
I've been forgetting about these-I need to start a bin for my tp tubes and dryer lint so they always have a home!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17077 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17077 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  6:08:02 PM  Show Profile
oh Hosanna,
what a great idea, wish I had stumbled onto this sooner...but for sure I will give it a try at my next camping trip in 2 weeks.
Thanx for such a terrific tip.
farm girl hugz

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  5:45:49 PM  Show Profile
So glad you posted this! I have been saving the lint for awhile as well as cardboard egg containers and hubby thought i was being crazy when i told him why i was saving them. Lol, now i can show him i am not the only one who knows this fire trick!

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  10:36:28 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
What a great idea! I don't use my dryer either except in the winter, but I can always start saving the tubes. Guess the lint will have to wait awhile.

You can also make fire starters out of paper egg cartons. Just fill them with a mixture of sawdust and parfin. You can always use a small wick if you want.

A.J.

Work is love made visible. ~ Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  2:05:46 PM  Show Profile
This is what we do to for firestarters for the fireplace inside and also when we go camping for the campfires. I always keep a big garbage bag full of them in the basement of the 5th wheel. I even have friends who give me their rolls and lint. It's just the best and it's repurposing of a sorts and keeping all of it out of the landfill.
Go to Top of Page

houligan19
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

sarah
groton CT
39 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2012 :  7:37:38 PM  Show Profile
I also just tried the idea with the egg cartons, sticks, dryer lint and melted wax. They worked great. We lit one of them and then sat back and watched.

http://earthhomevt.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  5:09:22 PM  Show Profile
I always keep my dryer lent in a bag, just to use in the fireplace. I put some of it out for the birds in the Spring.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  08:31:31 AM  Show Profile
I am glad this topic popped up again. It's a great idea and I have plenty of lint and paper rolls.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2012 :  4:51:59 PM  Show Profile
I too save TP rolls and dryer lint to use as fire starters. I keep them under "management" by having an ice cream pail by the dryer. I set TP rolls on end to fill the pail, and stuff dryer lint as it comes out of the dryer. When they are about 2/3 full, I pour old melted candle wax over the whole shebang and allow to set up. Then I pop them out, and stack them in a five gallon pail intact. When needing to use, I just break them apart, fold the ends in, and burn! Easy way to assemble, store, and use.

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2012 :  5:10:12 PM  Show Profile
Hosanna, you are incredibly smart. I would never have thought of doing that, but that is one way to recycle and not to gum up the works so-to-speak. That sort of heat really can keep you going and warm so that you don't always have to wear sweaters in the house. When I had a wood stove, I had trouble regulating the temperature and often had to open the front and back doors to cool it down inside.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2012 :  5:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Joy, what a great idea for keeping them under "management". lol I am seriously going to do this now. Love it!

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Thrifty Fire Sarter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page