Page: of 218

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  3:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hey to the best group on the MJF boards....how is everyone...I have so much reading to do to get caught up....I am so glad to be up without crutches and with little pain. I just want to say welcome to the newbies....you will love this group. You can't find a better group of loving, caring ladies as these. Jump right in and share, we are here to listen.

Judy, I did want to let you know I got a letter off to your Mom today...I so enjoyed writing to her....I am so glad that you let me share her...lol...

Patty, sorry you haven't gotten your end of the barter yet. That was one of the prettiest lamps I have ever seen...and hope the other person sends her part soon....

Dianne, I'm happy to share that pic for Holly, I am glad she sent it to me and wanted it shared...isn't that Ross a doll...?

Well I'm going to finish reading some then finish the camo beanie hat I'm making for DH....he deserves something after taking such good care of me this month....I have a few things to do that he didn't but all in all he did a great job....bless him...couldn't have been easy taking care of me with his own health troubles....but he never complained....hope to check in later....

Oh I would love the recipe for pear pie, we have two big pear trees and I made pear preserves and butter this year but have never made a pie....thought about it but not sure how to make sure the pears are soft enough...I tried it once and my pears were way to hard...so would love to hear how others make it....thanks

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - Acelady02 on Jan 05 2012 3:58:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  3:58:00 PM  Show Profile
Thyme in a bottle - very clever, Judy. But, we should expect that from our "herb lady" right? Thanks for the giggle
Marianne

Edited by - rough start farmgirl on Jan 05 2012 3:58:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  4:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Ginny, I will keep Frank and Katherine in my prayers along with you....I hope he also goes peacefully...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  5:20:10 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Penny thank you so much for posting the picture for me. Now that I think about the picture It must have been the summer of 2011 because I had braces on my teeth for the three years before that trying to fix my TMJ disorder. clicking jaw when I opened it too wide. It did fix my jaw. The plaque in the back ground used to hang in my living room I thought it was still there so I went to look at it so I could tell you the words. Now I see that the cleaning fiend in my house has been cleaning and neatening and it is gone. I am glad he cleans I am frustrated when he throws things away without asking.

Patty the terrarium is so awesome. It is amazing how the spores got into the bottle and then grew. I hope it survives for a long time.

Pancreatic cancer is a nasty disease. There have been several men around here who were very active in the community who died from it. I hope Frank passes without alot pain. I hope Katherine has friends who will stand by her and continue to include her in their lives. I believe you will.

Today it was 20 degrees out. Thirty degrees warmer than yesterday. It was overcast most of the day.

So, for our vacation. I am looking forward to staying up late and gossiping. I am looking forward to laughing so hard tears run down my legs. I am looking forward to taking pictures of us being goofy. We are going to have a grand time. Tie on your imaginations tight and start dreaming big and outrageously. The sky's the limit.

Sweet dreams

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  7:06:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the prayers girls, I know Katherine is going to need them. As long as he's still here, she can easily accept this but the moment he'd gone, I worry for her.

I just saw this Giego commercial which immediately made me think of Holly and zip lining, lol. Has anyone else seen it? It has a pig and as he's zipping he passes this guy, looks at him, says Pure Adrenaline and then snorts, so funny! Now that pigs are flying, guess I'll give it a try, lol!

I will put the pie recipe on here this weekend but right now, I'm off to read the new MJF I got in the mail today!

Have a great evening.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  7:19:40 PM  Show Profile
Ginny,
I love when the piggie, who is yelling,"wee, wee, wee" all the way home, wiggles his feet!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  05:24:05 AM  Show Profile
I love that pig commercial Geico.

I am putting the link for the Chocolate Avocado pie here if anyone wants it;

http://vegweb.com

I am happy to hear that your ankle is much better, Penny, I was on crutches once from a sprained ankle and was teaching at the time. It was so difficult.

Nancy

Farmgirl Sister #2301

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  4:52:24 PM  Show Profile
Nancy - Thanks for the recipe. I can hardly wait to make it!
Dianne- I use 1 cup of oats and 2 1/3 cups of water for my rice cooker oatmeal. It is so delicious, and quick and easy.

It is unseasonably warm here today. 69'. Unheard of...and we have yet to have snow. I am not complaining. I love this Florida weather in central Illinois. Spent most of yesterday outside. I painted the pigeon coop and sorted through some boxes in our shed. Today, I have spent the majority of it inside. I made 5 lbs of tortellini and a lb of ravioli. Had a visit from my cousin, her daughter-in-law and grandson. A very pleasant afternoon. Pork chops, rice and green beans for supper and then a trip to the DQ. :)

Does anyone have a local site for Bountiful Baskets in your area or does anyone regularly pick up the bountiful baskets. We do not have one in Illinois. I am considering trying to start up a new local site. It looks like an awesome co-op.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Jan 06 2012 5:32:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  6:00:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies! I had a couple of down days ... not bad - just no energy for anything. But I think I finally got enough rest and can feel my body getting restless to get things going again.

I got my MJF magazine today and won't be on here long as I'm planning to enjoy it tonight.

Ginny, I have put Frank and Katherine in my prayer book. This journey is never a joyful one but hopefully it will be peaceful. A loss is a loss even when it is prepared for.

Nancy I looked up the recipe for avocado//chocolate pie. It calls for ingredients I don't have handy - but I put them on my shopping list. I'll be making it soon.

Sounds like I won't get to lie on the beach being indulged after all. Holly is rolling out the steamer trunk and bringing it back before my surgery. Ohhh, no rest for the weary. (Holly, love the pic of you and Ross!) Well Kaiser called me a little while ago and I had to answer a bunch of pre-op questions. One of them was "do you exercise regularly?" and I had to answer "on a scale of 1-100, put me down for a 10. (I really do need to do more.) So, hiking and zip lines, here we come! But I am definitely doing the market circuit with Dianne. (I think we have similar exercise impairments, Dianne.)

Patty - great idea to cook oatmeal in rice cooker! I'm going to try it tomorrow. And I love the terrarium. So classy. And one more thing ... I hope you get your seeds soon.

Penny - so good to have you back, babe. Keep nursing that ankle, though.

Off for tonight ... bikini, sunscreen and sunglasses are packed.

Chocolate Kisses ....

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  10:06:18 AM  Show Profile
Wow Patty, the oatmeal idea in a rice cooker sounds great. I love all the goodies you put into it. I don't have a rice cooker, but I do have a small crock pot. Maybe I'll try that.

Not much going on here in Oregon. I'm in a dry area. It is trying really hard to be sunny. But the sky is mostly white. Thankfully no ice or frost.

I start school on Monday. I'm still waiting for two of my school books to come. I rent them online. I saved so much money! One site even bought back my books from last year.

I spent the day sewing yesterday. I made two fold up tote bags for my Aunt for her belated Christmas present. I'm going to post them on my blog today... hopefully.

Darlys, I'm with you on the exercise. My son keeps telling me I should walk around the neighborhood. But for some reason I just can't get myself to do it. I need to start doing my yoga again. I tried a yoga class. It was 90 minutes long and just about did me in. I need like a 30 minute class for a while.

Well, off to do more sewing today.

Later everyone. Stay safe and warm!

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  11:11:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

It is a cold clear day here. My DH is out helping friends put in new stairs to the upstairs part of the craft/house on their new property. I am waiting for the sour dough bread to finish rising so I can bake it. I am looking over a light whole wheat bread recipe. I may give it a try tomorrow. Other than that I am headed for the City tonight. My youngest DS and his wife are hosting a get together. I think I will go early and get some shopping done.

Patty thanks for the recipe for the slowcooker oatmeal. I will have to try it.
We have Bountiful Baskets here. My oldest DD and one Of my friends really like it. I have gotten a few things from them. It is not very regular though and sometimes they don't have enogh for evryone who wants to order.

Darlys I plan to get lots of exercise shopping. Walking is good exercise. I will walk from one both to the next and then the next and ........ LOL Of course there is the zip line, but is that really exercise or just an adrenalin rush?
I see you have all of the essentials packed.

I had better get to my sewing room if I am going to get anything done before we for the City.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  12:12:05 PM  Show Profile
Here is the recipe for the Summer Pear Pie David made me. It's from the book Farm Journal's Complete Pie Book which was published in 1965. It is the only pear pie recipe we found in our hundred's of cookbooks that was made with two crusts. There are lots with one crust, but we wanted a two crust pie.

Summer Pear Pie

2 TBL. lemon juice
4 C sliced peeled pears
1/3 C sugar
1/3 C brown sugar firmly packed
2 TBL.cornstarch
1/4 t mace
1/4 t ginger which David added
2 TBL butter or margarine

Sprinkle lemon juice over pears. Combine sugars, cornstarch, salt, mace, and ginger if you use it. Place half of the pears in pastry lined 9" pie pan. Sprinkle with half the sugar mixture. David then took a handful of shreaded cheddar cheese and sprinkled over that. Add remaining pears and again sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture. Then again, take a handful of shreded cheddar cheese and sprinkle over that if you want the cheese. Dot with butter. Adjust top pie crust over bottom and flute edges and cut vents. Bake in hot oven 425F degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until pears are tender, crust is browned and juices bubble in vents.

Basically it is an apple pie only with pears, ginger, mace, and cheese. The original recipe calls to use a Cheese Pastry and since we just used store bought crusts he added the cheese and it turned out really well. If you want the cheese pastry recipe I can type it in here but it goes through two other recipes to get it made so it seemed like a lot of work to just type it all here.

I love this pie, but then, I love pies, which is why I am now on a diet! But if you have never tried a pear pie, this is a pretty good one.

Right now he's making homemade chicken soup. It's great to have a husband that cooks but it's also why I'm on a diet, lol!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  4:50:02 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

What are jowls? Are they from pigs? How would anyone eat them. We took the pigs heads when we butchered and put them in the woods for the wild things. I can not imagine cutting off their cheeks to eat them. Is this a midwest delicacy?

Today was overcast and warm. The temperatures were in the high 30's. Too warm for this time of year. Sometimes we have a January thaw but that is later in the month. I would really like a few more feet of snow for the snowmachiners and nordic skiiers. The downhill skiiers have their snow made for them if the temperatures stay cold.

Taliesin who is fourteen had a basketball game last night and this morning. His team won both by more than twenty points each. I asked him why he did not move around more when he was guarding. He told me it was his job to stand there and black the basket. Apparently his nickname on the team is The Wall. He has shoulders and height to block anyone who comes.

Well my travelling farm friends time is ticking away. I hope each of you has lined up pet sitters and partner minders to leave behind when we abandon our homesteads for the warmth of Rio. I am thinking that you all in the steamer trunk might have more laughs than Dianne and I in the carry on luggage now that the pool boy has gone back to Hawaii so we may need to join you in your accomodations. Since Thelma has a very roomy steamer trunk we should each plan to make ourselves cozy in some personal way with bedding, entertainment and provisions. I am hoping that dramamine and ginger will keep the motion sickness at bay. Thelma if you could ask Santa to install a commode of some sort it would make traveling for those of us with teeny bladders more comfortable.

I think that I would like my section of the steamer trunk to be from short end to short end because my legs are so long I would like to be able to stretch them out from time to time. I think that because we are traveling in the steamer trunk we would not be held to the restrictions of no knitting needles or crochet hooks that seated passengers are not allowed to bring so I am going to bring my crochet hook and yarn. I would like someone who knows how to crochet to expand my repetoire of stitches to more than two. I am bringing my thermos of mint tea and saltines with cheese of course to share.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  5:03:57 PM  Show Profile
We should all kick each other in the rump to get us out walking - at least a little bit. My son is on my case, too. (And AARP says it's the only exercise we'll ever need.) I was going to go out for a walk this afternoon, Bunny, - but I got sidetracked going through recipes! (So we are having a chili relleno casserole, spanish rice and a salad for dinner.)

I did yoga a few years back ... and Tai Chi ... and joined "the gym." Nothing stuck except the brownies, cookies, pies ... etc.

Speaking of which, Ginny ... that pear pie sounds delicious! Another wanna-do. I don't have a cooking hubby, though. He can heat up stuff, but he's not exactly "gifted" in the kitchen. He's good for other things though - so I can't complain.

Bountiful Baskets sounds so healthy, Patty. I think we have something similar in our area, but probably not close by or I'd have heard of it. I made the rice cooker oatmeal this morning - it was really good, but the quantity was way too much for me. I'll have to dial it down a bit.

Dianne, thanks for reminding me that shopping is walking! TaDa! I have added to my "essentials" for the trip ... my wallet and a "Gathering Bag." I hope I'm not crowding anyone. I talked to Glenda the other day and I'm guessing that she can't make this trip - so I'll just have to snag her a new pool boy. I'll stuff him in the gathering bag and promise him paradise. She wore the other one out making him wait on her hand and foot. She's shameless but so cute.

Joking aside, Glenda is working at keeping up a good front - but this time is really hard on her. She's going to be going home for about a week to recharge herself. Maybe she'll get on the forum for a few minutes. But I'm hoping she is going to sink into a state of inertia (well deserved) before she turns around and goes back to Houston to be caregiver again during her brother's next round of chemo. Please keep her and her brother and family in prayers.

I'm stunned, my sister e-mailed me very recently asking me if I knew about Mary Jane's Farm! I must have said something to her and it floated back to her consciousness - or she googled my name and saw me connected to Mary Jane's Farm (repeatedly). I discovered that while looking for something else. I'm not even on facebook. So, go figure!

Guess I'll get the laundry into the dryer. Sigh ...

Holly, we were posting around the same time so I didn't see your post right away. I'm delighted that we can bring more gear with us. I can't crochet but I'll think of something other than quilting to haul along. A couple of good books, for sure! And a beach towel.

Yeah, too bad about that Maui pool boy - but I'm committed to getting a fresh supply (as you can see above).

Good job for your son (Tali?) guarding the net. He's got to be strong and talented, too. Congratulations on the 2 wins!

Chocolate Kisses ...

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Jan 07 2012 5:13:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  7:27:31 PM  Show Profile
Nancy - I made the chocolate avocado pie. My hubby LOVED it, but I wasn't crazy about it. Unless I did something wrong, I expected the filling to be more of a cream filling.

Darlys- That is more oatmeal than we eat as well, but I put leftovers in the refrigerator for the next day or sometimes eat it before I go to bed.

Ginny- I make a pear pie, but I like to bake it outside in the grill. My husband loves my pear pie. I gloat when he brags to others about pear pie. So many people have never heard of pear pie, not to mention tasting one.

Holly- Jowl is considered the cheek, or the "double chin" part of the hog. It is delicious and usually is cured, but I always order my jowl fresh. Usually when we would pick up our butchered hog the first thing I would fix is jowl sandwiches.

I love to walk when I find time....lol. I use an iphone app called "Map my walk". I love it for walking.I think it motivates me as well, and helps to encourage me to improve myself each walk.

I am trying to find out about getting the Bountiful Baskets in our area. I think our secluded area would really benefit from it. Today I cleaned my refrigerator and organized it. I always keep my eggs in a basket but added 2 plastic baskets in it- One for items that I really need to watch the dates such as cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, dips, etc. The other is for leftovers. I hate to have to search for something only to find it way in the back and have to remove 10 items to get to it. So now I just lift out the basket. I also tend to lose leftovers and find them in the back. Now I will easily keep track of them.
Well, off to get ready for bed. Have a good evening.

Patty #1840

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Jan 08 2012 05:50:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  09:31:08 AM  Show Profile
Oh dear sisters you must pray for me. My sewing machine is sick and must go to the hospital where its guts will be ripped out and scattered all over the operating table. I am trying to cope but being without my best friend of 2 years is killing me. I have cut out a few projects and am designing a commissioned quilt, but I need my baby. Her surgery is tomorrow morning I do hope all goes well. Sniff. Sniff. Sniff. Boo Hoo Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I am recovering from my darn cold.. Just have a deep uncontrobable cough now (and sometimes damp panties). giggle Good thing I bought a new washer and dryer this past fall. giggle

I have caught up on all your posts. Sounds like Rio preperations are moving along. I have to go watch my grand babies for 2 weeks. don't know if I will have computer access. I better get Santa to deliver the trunk somewhere just in case. Where do you want him to deliver it? I better get to go as I am looking forward to that zip line weeeeeeee weeeeee weeeeeeeeeeee weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Only you gals would talk about eating pie and exercising in the same breath. giggle. I do encourage everyone to find a form of exercise that you love and work it into your daily life. Now mall walking is good if you keep walking at a steady pace. If you stop to look at displays and purchase items - that is not walking you just get tired. I always wished I lived close to a mall in the winter months so I could mall walk, but then my friend reminded me that I would be waltzing past those cookie and pretzel stands way to many times and I would cave. She's right of course. I sometimes put on my music and dance around the house. Darwin teases me about being so nutty, but he seems to enjoy watching me. giggle

Hav a good day girls. I think I just talked myself into going out for a walk!

Edited by - Thelma on Jan 08 2012 09:44:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  10:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
GOOD MORNING TO ALL, how is everyone today? I am doing pretty good....still limping a bit but getting better everyday. I haven't told anyone but working on quitting smoking....got Dr. to give me chantix so it seems to be working....my Momma smoked for years and quit about 10 yrs before she died and I quit while she was alive....she died from COPD so you wouldn't think I would have started back...but after my ex left I started back...dumb, dumb, dumb. Oh well....But I am on my way to quitting again and believe this will be the last time....

Holly, I am glad I could post the pic for you....thanks for letting me. Can I stay up late and gossip with you on our vacation? Since I'm a night owl anyway. Jowls is what we always had on New Years day growing up. Like Patty said it is the cheeks of the pig and it is really good...slice thin fry it up or bake it in oven like you would do bacon. Congrats to Taliesin...I love basketball...how tall is he? I love watching kids play basketball...my youngest really loved BB and was really good but didn't have the height....He is 5'8" but his talent did make up for it....he always played point guard....I always knew he would love sports...his first word was Ball and not Momma...cute story.... I know I've been away awhile but is my space in the truck still available..??? I don't want to miss out on the trip to Rio...If there isn't enough room I need to see if I can squeeze in somewhere, PLEASE... It should be a blast.

Ginny, I just say that commercial too after I read your post....made me look at it a totally different way....picturing Holly...lol . Enjoy your shopping...and fun with family. Thank you so much for the pie recipe...I can't wait to try it.. My hubby loves to cook too....he is making Spag. today...I love my pasta....I can't wait...isn't it great to have someone else cook once in awhile.

Oh I forget to tell everyone, got the door on my wood cookstove fixed a month or so ago., now we have to get help moving it in the house and hooked up. I was hoping to have it hooked up to be able to use this year but doesn't look like it and also it is a very strange winter so far....cold in the 20 and 30's one week and then warm like today it is almost 70 here...

Patty, your weather sounds like ours...last year at this time we had snow too...which of course is unusual, we usual just get ice...it is almost 70 today. I looked up Bountiful Baskets to see what it was about, the closest here is about 45 min away....but it does sound interesting... Oh I would love to learn to make pasta....it is one of my weakness' I just love any kind of pasta...you are making me hungry. I love your organized refrigerator...maybe I need to do something like that....

Darlys..Hey girl....thank you, I'm glad to be back...I sure hope you are feeling better...I can't tell you how much I have missed sitting here and reading everyone's posts...I feel like part of my family has been missing. Ok, seems like we all need more exercise....so what we gonna do about it??? I use to walk to our mailbox with is a 1/4 mile or better round trip...not far but it is uphill....but now, just walking to the bathroom has been my exercise...and tough exercise on crutches...lol... Thanks for letting us know about Glenda....she as all of you are in my prayers. I love what you said about your sister and MJF...lol...I sent my sister the magazine...she hasn't said yet whether she likes it or not...but I'm sure she does...she is a country girl too...lol...

Bunny, good luck with school....it's it great when you can save money on school books? I haven't sewn since I hurt my ankle and I'm looking forward to getting back to it....I have been crocheting alot...I made 2 sets of booties with hats for the baby that hopefully will make her entrance into the world today...Her Mom is in labor as I'm typing this....moving quickly too...I going to start a bear today for the baby...after I get off here.

Dianne, I miss making bread....I haven't made any since I hurt my ankle...and was really hoping to bake bread in my wood cookstove...maybe now that I'm up and out of the bed I can make some...You really make me want some fresh bread...now I'm hungry....

Thelma, oh I'm so sorry...warm thoughts that surgery for your baby goes well...let us know....Please don't cry, it will be ok, we are here for you.....I haven't even sewn a bit since I hurt my ankle and really want to start some summer clothes...maybe soon.. Don't ya just hate a cough and wet panties...lol...hope ya feel better soon....praying for quick recovery. I love to dance around the house too...isn't it fun...

Just finished DH spag. wow was it good....yummy.....now I am finished posting, going to work on the crochet bear or read or both or nap or dang....who know.....love ya all...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

Judith-CA-1955
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Judith
colton c
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  2:40:28 PM  Show Profile
Hello all...I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. I have been coming here everyday however; by the time I get done reading everyones update I have to stop so I can get things done around the house because I still work full time which gives me limited time on my pc. I want to share my Backyard Project that I started back in 2009. We purchased our house Oct.2008 and it was a repo which sat for over a year and was only 10 yrs old however; was trashed and the landscape in the front and back was dead and needed to start from scratch with everything. It had very poor soil and had a 140 ft back wall with dirt hill that wasn't retained. We had to tear out crumby large bushes and small trees along with having the land graded and a drain system installed. My goal is to grow at least 70% of our food by the time I retire in 3 yrs. Last year we had our 1st veggie garden which I put on a drip system. I bought large fruit trees, vines and berry bushes, some of them we planted back in 2009 and have already harvest a good amount. I also planted Asparagus and rhubarb in hopes of getting good crops by the time I retire. I copied and paste the link below. I used Photo bucket website and when you get to the site click to view it as slide show that maybe easier. It my first attempt; when I get more time I will add more and clean up any redundant photos.

http://photobucket.com/FarmGirl
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  3:52:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Great pics Judith....thanks for sharing....it sure shows how much work you have put into the place....it is beautiful.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  4:01:05 PM  Show Profile
Just stopping by for a quick minute. I can not resist posting a pic of our dinner tonight! Now that is HAPPY SOUP!

Patty #1840

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  4:13:16 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Thelma I think you might have to ship the trunk to Janee's because she is in Texas and I bet the change plane is either in Texas or in Miami. If the plane change is in Miami then you will need to ship it to Nancy. Since we are going to be on the ocean we will be taking advantage of the cabana boys. I sure am looking forward to walking on the beach and feeling a warm breeze on more of my skin than just a frigid wind on my face and through the flannel lining of my jeans. Penny we sure will move over and find room for you. I think we all may be staying up late and gossiping. I think that at the end of this vacation we will all return home and collapse. then we will know for sure that we had a great time and it was worth all of the time away. I was actually thinking about early morning walks on the beach because try as i might I can not sleep late in the morning any more.

I think about Glenda everyday and send good thoughts to her and her brother. I can only imagine how emotionally exhausted she must be. I am glad Darlys that you can call her.

Thelma, I am sorry that your best friend is ill. I hope the surgery tomorrow morning is without complications.

Judith I envy your plan. We raise most all of our meat. We do eat some fish and I think about raising trout in our pond and harvesting them at the end of the summer but I do not like the little bones.

Did I tell you all that we did stock rainbow trout in our pond one year. They were so pretty with their red bellies. Several years after the initial stocking the children came up and said there were three funny looking beavers in the pond. I went later on and a river otter looked at me and gave me a great big smile. It did a somersault and came up with the last of my beautiful rainbows in its mouth. It said thankyou kindly. they moved on that same afternoon.

Taliesin is about 5' 9 inches tall. He has passed by four of his brothers and his sister. He has not physically matured yet so there is hope that he will be more than 6 feet tall. I am 5' 11 1/2 inches tall. I tell my sons that when they grow taller than me they have to give me an allowance. We know some of the heights of their birth parents but not all. It is a running joke. Kevin called home from StLouis when he was around 28 years old and said, I am only 5'11 you still have a half and inch on me I do not owe you and allowance. Robert who looks me in the eye came home from his physical and said, I am only 5'9" I don't have to give you an allowance. I said what did you do kneel? Jarrett was in shock when Talie passed him by this fall. Jarrett long held out the hope that he would hit 6 feet. He seems to have stopped at 5' 8".

In our house the exercise video of choice is Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds. She must have 15 or so of these masterpieces in production now. She has slow one miles all the way up to fast burn 4 miles. She has evolved over the years. In earlier productions she had these amazing eyebrows that were well above where normal eyebrows should be and they moved on their own volition when she talked.

I have a frigerator that is just a refrigerator. There is no freezer in it. We have four big freezers so I did not see a reason to sacrifice the fridge space for a freezer. It is a Crosley. When Coco is milking we have a lot of milk. My son Jarrett who is 17 cleans our fridge out when he gets disgusted. I am going to ruminate on those baskets to hold leftovers. That is a great idea. We do grow science experiments from time to time and maybe the basket would reduce the number.

I am going to have to look into this jowl delicacy for next year. Using more of the pig is important.

Sweet dreams everyone.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  04:40:33 AM  Show Profile
Glenda,

I am new to this group. I have heard many gals speak of you in glowing terms and I now know wny. You are quite a woman. Your brother is in my prayers. Cancer is ugly, whether it is fast and furious or slow and excruciating. I am sorry for your pain.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  05:30:42 AM  Show Profile
Good morning.

I am so happy to hear that there will be more room in the trunk. I hate to be crowded and maybe if there is someone crocheting I can finally learn how to make a granny square that is flat instead of all curly. I found a pool boy that has promised to behave and I think he will fit in my little bag.

I have been walking and walking but I can't seem to lose any weight from it. I am still working at getting back some energy from the holidays. I think I will blame it on the turkey and stuffing. All my DD wants to tell me when I talk to her is about her vegetarianism and her 11 mile runs along the beach. How discouraging can you get? Well, she is a lot more athletic than I have ever been and a lot skinnier. She's a size 3. Honey, I ain't seen a size 3 since I was 3.

Glenda, you are still in our prayers and I am thinking of you a lot. Caregiving is so difficult and I hope you are getting some time to take care of yourself.

Thanks for the recipe, Ginny, I am going to try that pear pie out. It sounds so yummy. I think my DH will really like it. The added cheese sounds interesting.

Patty, I like your idea of organizing your leftovers in a basket upfront in the fridge so you won't have them lost in the back somewhere. That happens to me a lot. Since there are only two of us we tend to have quite a few leftovers. Everything looks very neat inside. It makes me want to get to work on mine. But first I have to finish cleaning up that sewing room. I went through my fabrics and took out all the scrape fabric and put it into one bag. Then I organized the other pieces. I have my un fininshed projects sitting there waiting to be completed. I can get it done this week. I just have to motivate myself.

Oh, Thelma, my poor dear, I know just how you feel losing your sewing machine like that. It happened to me a while back. And I was so lost without my machine especially when I had things that needed it. Fret not, it will soon be all better and will come home to you. Then you two will have a hug and will have lots of fun together again.

What I do if it is raining and I can't get outside to walk or to a mall is walk in the house. I have this path that goes through my living room, around through the kitchen, and though the dining room. I just keep going around the circle for a half an hour. It isn't too bad and the time goes fast. If the cat is in the house he follows me.

Thelma have fun with your grandbabies. We would never want to to on the trip without you. The trunk will find you no matter what.

Judith, wonderful pictures. You have really put a lot of work into the place. Thank you for sharing all those photos with us.

Holly I watch Leslie's tapes also. I only have 3 of them and I really like them. I was not aware that she had made that many tapes.

Glenda, thank you for posting. I am glad to hear from you and want you to know that you can vent whatever you want and whenever you need to here with your friends. We care about you and pray for you and your brother. You have a lot to deal with and we are here for you.

All this talk about food and I haven't had my breakfast. I better get off here and go eat before I "starve" to death. Bread, oatmeal, pear pie, spagetti, pig jowls and chicken soup. I could eat it all!

Have a good day all my dear friends.

Hugs and squeezies

Nancy

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  06:54:30 AM  Show Profile
hello gals! back at work today so i can catch up with all of you!
glenda, you and your family are in my prayers, i totally understand about your mother, mine just turned 83 and has similar "problems".
I am so glad that there will be plenty of room in the trunk too! and I love to crochet, have been since I was 6 years old. Right now i am working on hairpin lace and lover's knot so that i can apply for the next level of the merit badge. I am willing to help anyone that needs it in that area...am looking so forward to just us girls and lots of giggles, drinks and pool boys. I am sure that Glenda didn't mean to wear hers out, she just liked having him around (hehehehe)
I don't normally eat a lot of oatmeal but the recipe sounds so good that i am going to the store tonight (Lord willing) and pick some up to cook.
well, better get back to work,
love to all!
janiee
farmgirl #390

Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  09:02:47 AM  Show Profile
Good morning or is it afternoon where you are?

We had a great time with my son and his wife. That seems so strange to say. My DS and his girlfriend have been together over a year and they did the JP thing on the third of Jan. We all got together at one of my DS's favorite places to eat and celebrated. Then my DH and I did some shopping. One does not go to the big city (LOL) and not do some shopping.

Ginny thanks for the recipe it sounds really good.

Holly if we are all going to be in the steamer trunk we probably will not need anything for motion sickness. We will be laughing and haveing way to much fun to ever get sick. Maybe they will have a cute piolet or steward on the airplane? Since we don't have a poolboy, a piolet might be fun.

Darlys thank you for the update on Glenda and her brother. Maybe we should shower her with cards while she is home. Let her know she is in our thoughts and prayers. A card in the mail means so much when your going through a tough time.

Patty You can come and organize my fridge anytime. It needs help! I usually am an organized person. But there are "other people" who get in my fridge and they are not organized. LOL

Penny quiting any habit is hard. I will pray for you! I never started smoking but I have other habits I wish I could stop. Don't we all! You go girl. We are all rooting for you.

Thelma I am sorry your baby has to go in for surgery. i have been putting off taking my sewing machine in for over 2 years. I have had it for close to 30 years and it has never given me any problems untill recently. The cogs don't want to work and after I wind the bobin it does not want to release so tha tI can sew. :( I finally found a repair place but I can't seem to make myself take her in. They want me to buy a new one. They just don't understand. :(

Judith You are doing what my DH and I are planning to do. We are looking for property now so we can start working on it. Then when we retire or sooner maybe, it will be ready for us.

Patty recipe please!! I want to make a happy soup:)

Glenda I am glad you had a moment to share with us. I understand the dregs. I think all families have them. You and your family are in my prayers.

Nancy I can so relate. I don't think I was ever a size 3 except when I was 3. LOL

I had better move from this seat or nothing will get done. I have a couple of free periods to catch up on paper work. So i had better get to it.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page