doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  8:47:12 PM  Show Profile
Holly, I tried to load a pic from Pinterest but it will not allow me to - I have no idea why it works sometimes and not others. It was a sign that said [b]"Being a family means you are a part of something very wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life. No matter what."[/b]Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Nov 26 2011 8:49:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  05:05:08 AM  Show Profile
Good morning. Oh, I hope you are feeling better soon, Glenda. i just got over my cold so I know how miserable you must be. And missing out on Thanksgiving, how awful. We will miss not going on your trip with you but that's the breaks. We will just have to wait until you get back to hear all the news. I just love traveling in suitcases, too. It is so nice and cozy in there with all my friends and I am so quiet unless someone makes a joke or tells one of those funny stories of theirs. I know you will have a great time, though.

I am sitting here at the computer looking into my living room at my Christmas tree with no decorations on it and boxes of stuff all over. DH got all the boxes down yesterday and I started to open them and look in. I decided I was too lazy to do any decorating so I read and sewed a little instead. I will do some decorating today. I did have a good conversation with my DD last evening. I wanted to talk to the granddaughters but they were out visiting their grandfather. Since they have been home from college this week I haven't found them home to be able to talk with them. Busy little bees out and about to all their favorite places.

Welcome Beth, so glad to have you with us.

Thelma, that is so funny about the scale. I think I might try your method. Maybe it will work for me. So far, nothing else seems to have worked. Keep up with your stories. LOL

We are supposed to get rain today but then again we were supposed to get rain yesterdy. I was surprised to find that the WalMart here wasn't so crowded when we stopped by yesterday afternoon. I think all the shoppers must have been asleep after getting up so early or having stayed up all night shopping for the "deals" that they had. We went to Lowe's also and it wasn't crowed either but the place with a lot of people was the thrift store. Lots of people shopping there. Mostly buying toys and clothes. One couple bought 2 bicycles and 2 tricycles plus some other toys. I felt so happy for them. They are able to give their kids a nice Christmas that doesn't cost too much.

Have a nice day everyone.

Nancy #2301
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  05:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies!
How is everyone doing?
Glenda- I also began getting a cold over the holiday. Each of us there had been struggling with one, so we suffered at least together!
Holly- what a lovely idea! That will be so special to them. Got a chuckle from the shirt story!
I normally avoid the insane black Friday too. This year tho, went with my gson's best friend to get his mom's present. His love and respect for his single momma just warms my heart and reminds me there Are still the quiet, innocent moments still ringing in this holiday after all!!!
Today is my gdaughter's 4 year bday party. She is soooo excited of course!!
Maybe I can figure out how to post a pic???
Update.......... My DD SIL is and will continue to be in the hospital, for a month, at least . Still working on regulating her meds. She has a long way yet to go. Whew!!! Thank you all for your prayers and support in this with me. Was a tough and stressful
month for sure.
Well, tea time. Hope each of you enjoys your day!
Farmgirl hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  08:46:45 AM  Show Profile
Have we lost Darlys again? You don't suppose she has snuck off on another trip without us, do you?

Holly what do you do with the gourds once they are dried? I plan to grow gourds this next year to use for art projects.

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Nov 27 2011 08:51:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  09:28:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Gals! Yhank you again for sending Mama all those cards! She loved it! Would you believe she got 10 cards all on Friday? None before-none after! That's funny!....or odd anyhow!
Awwwww....poor Glenda.....here's a BIG hug for you since you missed Thanksgiving with your fmily*reaches out and gathers you into a BIG comforting hug...and Squeezel *giggle*............now hands you a hanky for all the nosey-dribbles I just squeezed outta ya! *ewwwww*
LOLOLOLOL...ROFL.....
It's raining here today BUT still in the upper 50's! Mama & I had perfect weather for running around, dinette shopping yesterday. We wnt to Meyers'Lake Plaza(for Debras benefit)She or Dh knows where that's at. Mom found a farm kitchen style(white legs&butcher-block top)table she likes and it's small.She has a small apt. She has to buy the chairs seperate but it only will cost her $145.00-total. Not bad at all.
Well, who knows what I'll get into today. Probably read and watch Christmas movies...oh ya...I have a Netflix (McCloud) to watch and get sent back tomorrow. Remember him? Handsome! I'm a fool for a man with a mustache and a cowboy hat!! hahahaha *drool*
Make it a Great&Restful Sunday Gals!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  2:11:36 PM  Show Profile
Hey Judy, I know where Meyers Lake Plaza is. Yep I do! Sounds like some good buying there. How is your ma doing?
Hope Glenda a Linda are feeling better with their colds. I cannot beleive the people that have colds now. Lots of germs going around. Make sure you are taking your vitamins! I think that it helps.
Well I am turkeyed out. The rest of our turkey is going in the freezer and I will make soup or something later. In fact I bought stuff to make spaghetti tonight.
We have had warm balmy weather here today in Ga. Lots of cloud cover. We are supposed to have rain and then get very cold. Maybe even snow fluffies on Tuesday. Penny (in Ga), had you heard that? But this has been a warm Nov for us. Seems like when hubby and I put wood on the porch for the woodburner...it got warm!
Holly, Now I am thinking of the laundry haging on the exposed beams at our house. We have exposed beams in our den where the woodburner is. That would be funny. I can imgagine how colorful that would be. But you are right...the woodburner wood dry the clothes real fast. The heat from our woodburner can run us out of the room. We have to open windows when that happens no matter what the temp is outside.
Have a good night ladies, Stay healthy,

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  3:07:37 PM  Show Profile
Debra I'm with you, enough turkey for now! The last few days I've had the sniffles and this morning along comes the headache and ear ache. Kind of seems like I'm talking in a tunnel. So just going to snuggle up for the evening and watch the Christmas movies, there was a new one on last night and another tonight. It's been really cold here, the wind is wild. Think tomorrow I'm going to fix some potatoe soup and cornbread. Yum, that sounds good. We've had fun all weekend grandpuppy sitting. Sluggers his name and he's so darn cute. He love grammy and poppy. When he comes in the house he just runs around in circles and jumping up and down. And of course when nite time comes he wants up in bed with us. We spoil him just like the grandkids. They just came to pick him up and it seems lonely without him. Will miss him, all except the taking him out to potty. He doesn't like the cold weather either. Our yard is not fenced in and we are on a very heavy traffic street. So we have to leash him and go out, instead of open up the door and just let him out. I remember last winter when we had a very heavy snow, we were at the kids house watching the grandkids and puppy. Now Slugger is all white, so I let him out in the back yard, he ran out and I waited at the door for him, and within the time I thought it should take him, he wasn't back. So I was calling for him and he didn't come. Then I became frightened. There was deep snow out there and all I could imagine was he was stuck. When I went out there and found him, He just looked up at me, Like, what's your problem grammy, But his darn little legs are so short, it just was taking him some time to get through it all. Won't do that again. Well guess I'm going to take a nice hot bath and just soak for a wild and get me pj's on and relax. Have a good evening ladies. Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  3:29:06 PM  Show Profile
I have another story for my farmgirl sisters giggle. I was talking to a friend after church this morning and she told me her 4 year old grandson, who is a McDonalds fan, went to Burger King for the very first time enroute home from a holiday gathering. When someone placed a paper crown on his head, he shouted, "Hey Look at me! I am the king of footie Pajamas"! I just thought this was worth sharing giggle giggle and giggle some more!
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  3:29:54 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today was overcast with a high cloud cover. the temperatures may have been in the 40's or so. It was warm enough for me to cut wood with the chainsaw in my sweatshirt. We had four or five logs we had dragged into the field near the house where the children sled in the winter. The bigger children can go to the field across the pond but Ross is to little to go on that big of a hill and not wise enough yet to know to bail at the bottom so he does not get taken our by some of the fencing at the bottom of the hill. So, I had to clean up the small sledding hill for him.

I would like to thank Darlys for the Hawaiian calendar and magazine. We have a similar magazine called Edible Green Mountains. I did not know it was like a franchise magazine. The flowers are very beautiful.

Glenda, I have two books I picked up at the sale section of the local bookstore. The first I bought is called _Making gourd Dolls and Spirit Figures_ by . The small gourds I have drying I am going to try to make dolls o

Holly
farmgirl #2499

Edited by - Tall Holly on Nov 27 2011 4:21:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  4:19:53 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone again,

Somehow I posted before I was ready and did not even realize it. So here is the rest of the post.

I have two books I bought on sale at our local book store. The first is called Making Gourd Dolls and Spirit Figures by Ginger Summit and JimWidess. I am drying the small gourds to try to make some dolls or animals. These gourds have a thicker skin or something and rot more easily than dry so we shall with time whether my effort will be a success. The other book is Glorious gourd Decorating by Mickey Baskett. It shows some projects with bigger gourds. There are some beautiful gourd vases for dried flowers that I would like to try.The second book gives patterns for the flowers and geese. The first book gives ideas and techniques. I will be interested to here Glenda how your growing gourds works. We do not really have a long enough growing season. I think I will need to start them indoors or something to have a chance at success.

Years ago when we first moved here to this barn we cut our own tree. In the front of the house we had a 22 foot catherdral ceiling. So, we went out through the fields to find the ideal tree. We found a huge tree that we thought would be ideal to fill up the space. We towed the tree back to the house. I am not even sure how we did it because I think it was before we had a tractor. Maybe we used the truck. In the ridge line of the barn there is a pulley and in the back of the barn there was a hayloft door. We tied a rope around the tree throuhg the pulley and I held the rope while standing in the hayloft door. Then I jumped and all 125 pounds of me was swinging back and forth through thin air and the tree had not budged. We had a good laugh. We did manage to get the tree into the house. We had to cut off about 6 feet of it to make it small enough to fit in the front hallway. It was beautiful decorated.

This past Friday downtown Montpelier had Flannel Friday. If you wore flannel into a store they would give you between 10 to 25 percent off your purchase. You did not need to get up at 0 dark thirty to shop either.

This afternoon we went to a craft fair. Some of the items were very beautiful. One woman made glass picturs. She took grround up colored glass and put it on a glass plate in the shape she wanted. Thicker pieces for tree trunks that would be in relief on the plate. Very small glass for shapes that were shadows, She heated the pieces to more than 1500 degrees and the glass melted together. She had a piece that had a tree with snow on it that looked like how the snow settles on a tree during a storm. There were several of her pieces tht I would haveliked. There were several people who did oils. A man who makes pens out of wood. A woman who does watercolors. Many jewelers. Many fabric artists. It was a good time.

We had puff pastry with spinach and cheese and steak burritoes for supper. It was very tasty

Good night everyone.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  5:11:28 PM  Show Profile
Holly, your craft fair must have been wonderful with all the artistic displays and items for sale. Around here I only know of one fair like that. I wish I could have attended with you. We do have our Iowa share of craft shows, but they are mostly just general stuff nothing to write home about. The plate sounds beautiful.

sorry to hear that some many of you out in FGSH land have so many colds. The weather is really fickle this year. I wonder if that has something to do with extra boughts of colds. I never know how to dress these days. Sometimes I get really hot and other times I'm freezing (menapause has long past deers so don't even go there). Hubby and I are staying healthy -so far anyway.

Later this week I am going to share a secret about hubby and I so stay tuned - I'll drop a few hints before I tell you.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  6:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Thelma, you are such a tease!!!

Holly it sounds like you have a story book life but I know there is a whole lot of work involved. Sure wish I lived close enough to be invited to supper. I am working on a gourd doll now, if I ever do get it finished I will try to post a picture of it. I was posting pictures with no problems and now I can not get it to work. This doll is from a banana gourd. I didn't grow it but several years ago I planted a pkg of mixed gourd seeds and did nothing but water them and I got 3 huge boxes of gourds. I just laid them out on tables and they dried naturally, then I gave 2 each to everyone in my doll club, so this year's retreat was making a gourd doll. We had a gourd show near here and it was fun to see. A good online source is Welborn Gourd Farm. maybe welbourn, not sure of sp. I am making feet, hands and head of polymer clay and the body/dress is the gourd. I'm stuck on how to do the shoulders and arms right now. I just work from imagination and don't look at anything for reference so I have to wait for that muse to visit. At some point the doll begins to tell me what to do but this one is being stubborn. Actually I can't get off Pinterest long enough to get anything done.
Judy I was late sending my card to your mom so she might get another one yet.
Darlys where are you--we miss your posts--tell those relatives to go home, you have friends waiting.....

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

Judith-CA-1955
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Judith
colton c
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  8:29:46 PM  Show Profile
I'm new to forum however; I went straight to the over 50 group.

Little Bio:
I live in Southern California, 56 yrs old, married over 15 yrs "second marriage" have 4 children. I have been gardening veggies and flowers for over 30 yrs. I woodwork and do many of our home remodeling with my creativity. I am from the Midwest "Illinois" I owned a Log Home for 8 yrs on a couple acres of land in a small town in Illinois. That is where I found my connection with mother earth and my artistic side. We sold the home I divorced and at the time needed to work and there were no jobs in the small community I lived in. I never stopped gardening and stayed creative as much as I could while raising my older children.

I bought the home I live in now 3yrs ago it has less than a acre however; I believe that this home will be the home I retire in God willing. I planted 10 or so fruit and avocado trees which were large from a nursery. The second year we have been blessed with fruit. I also have 3 berry bushes along with grape vine and a male & female Kiwi vines. I had my 2nd yr veggie garden and just got done planting hairy vetch and winter wheat for cover crop to better our soil. My husband & I installed drip system and it did wonderful. Next yr I will tweak things better. I just added 3 chickens to our family and will soon have some eggs. I grew most of their food in our veggie garden last year and grew Red Corn broom which they loved the grain on it and I now have lots of broom brushes to make my own brooms. I also have grown gourds but I just don't get a big crop of them not sure what I am doing wrong. Our code state that we can't have anymore than 3 birds. I may add a Runner duck to control the bad bugs however; we need to build our waterfall with small pond first. I have one neighbor who wouldn't care if I had more than 3 birds however; the neighbor on the other side may call city code enforcement. I planted buffalo grass last year the type for southern California and just love it. I wish I would have bought a home with more land however; they are more costly here in southern California. I envy all here who live in the country and have more land than I.

I belong to a local Master Gardener Club however; I haven't had much time to go to meetings since my son who is disabled and his than girlfriend had a baby boy that was taken away by Social Services I had to jump in and go to court to keep my grandson out of the foster care system. I have had my grandson since he was 2 months old he is now 20 months old. So, when I found this group I knew I had to connect to ladies who have the same interest as I.

Sorry, for the long intro...I look forward to getting to know more of you better and share our interest.
Go to Top of Page

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  10:17:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm 60, though I have trouble with that concept. I'm a new farmgirl. I just tried the sampler pack of MJF's instant food. Being a farmgirl is a bridge I need to get to the next part of my life. My mother died in 2008 (of being old) and I was her companion and then caregiver at the end. I now live on the Oregon coast and am emerging into a new life. And that is hard. Being a Farmgirl gives me a story. I just bought myself a Carharrt winter jacket so I can work outside in the garden this winter. And I've been doing repairs, and getting parts for fixing things. I tell myself, "I'm a Farmgirl This is what Farmgirls do. I can do this." Because I'm part of a community of people who do these things. And the instant food and the Bakeovers and all the rest I need, because I've found it very hard to start cooking for myself again. I want organic food, and I need instant. It's helping me to bridge that chasm, too. I wanted to tell somebody about my jacket and the cooking, and that I'm going to keep bees with a friend who has a farm.
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  01:12:17 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to Judith and Nan!! You will love the Mjf forums, especially this over 50 group!
Judith, I am from So Cal. Lived in Canoga Park, Simi Valley, then Joshua Tree(by Palm Springs). I used to do 'on call' work from home for a home health agency and L.A. And Colton were some of the areas I had to cover.
Many of us here are in a starting over phase as well so you are right at home!!
With some health and financial situations, I moved from a house
/land in Ca to an apt here in middle America. Mostly, weather has been the hardest to adjust to?
However, I must say, I am becoming more 'Farmgirl' in my apt and with the balcony than I was with my home and land. Easier to handle and maintain a smaller space, and more time to get back into things I used to enjoy?
Have gotten back into knitting, crafting, sewing some? And trying herbs and small veg container gardening.
Well, hope everyone had a good weekend?
Today, I will get some grocery shopping done, and pick up a couple things at Hobby Lobby for my gkids craft Christmas gift projects I am attempting to do !!!
Hope each of you have a good day! It is getting Cold here, winter is on its way for sure!
Farmgirl blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart

Edited by - prayin granny on Nov 28 2011 04:18:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  07:30:35 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning farm sisters--

Holly, it is Welburn gourd farms - I looked it up just now and they have tons of info and a free download booklet on how-tos working with gourds, although a lot of it is to sell their special tools, which I'm sure are handy but not necessary. The gourds I grew did not have thick skins which is usually preferable, depending on what you want to do with the gourd. This year I will do more research on what to do to get the thicker skins. They really do have to be completely dry before you use them I think.

Judith, welcome to this forum-lots of us are relatively new to this site but these wonderful ladies make you feel right at home.
You have an interesting story and I wish you lots of luck. You will find this to be a good support group. I wish I had the ability to fix more things than I do, I find that is the hardest thing about going it alone--every day something else breaks. Today it is that darn sprayer thing on the sink, it won't shut off so the water only comes out of it and not the faucet. I can hire someone from town but they charge an arm and a leg and still do a crappy job most of the time. Gardening is easy and enjoyable even when the weather won't cooperate, but all this mechanical stuff is hard for me. But we do what we have to do. Bless you for taking care of that little grandbaby, I imagine that has been a lot of heartache for you. The social services do the best they can, I guess, but it sure is a broken system. I volunteered for CASA for 5 years and most of those folks try their best to do a good job but are taxed to their limits and beyond.

Nan, welcome to you - the Oregon coast is on my bucket list of places to visit. One of my dreams is to get a Van conversion RV and do some travelling on my own. I hear you, girlfriend, about starting over--it is so hard and just feeding yourself again is a major milestone. I could barely take care of myself for about a year, you just have to give yourself time to heal, but you will. When I finally felt like I wanted pets again about a year ago and adopted 2 little dogs who needed me as much as I needed them, it made a major difference. It was just huge. I didn't know what a void there was or how two little creatures could fill it like they did. They love the really cold nights because I let them sleep under the covers with me to keep warm. That age thing will scare you if you let it, so don't. Everybody ages at a different rate and recently I had a luncheon with my old classmates who are a little older than me, as I graduated from high school at 16--I was shocked to see that I was the tallest one now, and when we graduated I was the shortest. I credit yoga for that - and eating as organically as possible. There are definitely things you can do to keep yourself healthy. Cancer runs in my family in a big way and that worries me if I let it. I have to admit I am going to have to google the Carharrt jacket - I don't know what it is. I assume it gets really cold there and it keeps you warmer?

Judith and Nan, and everybody, this is where you come to tell your funny stories, and your sad ones - many of us will never meet in person but we are all sisters who love each other and support each other(and tease each other) and lift each other up in every way we can. Welcome to the group.

Thelma, I just couldn't wait to get up this morning and see the "hint" you promised, but, no, you are going to tantalize us to the limit. You're probably working on the top of that big tree yet.
I am heading out for the city today for a few days and on Friday I am going to my daughter's. She lives in a little town near Austin and they have a "Trade Days" first Saturday of every month and she thinks I should get a booth there and sell this mountain of stuff I have accumulated over the past 50 years. (Now qualifies as vintage) Also some craft projects. The one thing I can't sell is my dolls, they are so labor intensive and I get to know them so well it would be like selling a family member. call me crazy.....

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  09:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Judith and Nan.
Judith: you are a woman after my own heart. I always wanted a log home and never got it.
My SIL lost her 3 kids for a long time in the foster care system. They had to stay in separate homes and it was a mess. Glad you got your grand son.

Nan:I turn 60 next october and keep telling myself it's just a number..but..
My sister, herblady55 is our mother's "gopher" *go for this, go for that*.. in Ohio and I live in the western NC so it's been hard. Hard on her to deal with Mama and hard on me to not be there.
We'll be here while you are crossing your bridges..hugs!
Carharrt is a great brand. Enjoy it. "winter" gardening? ours just lies dormant.

Glenda: we lost our little yorkie several years back and everyone keeps asking me when I'm going to get another dog. been pretty quiet around here to long..so maybe soon.
Had to lol when you said "vintage". better than "old" i guess and vintage sounds like a treasure.

storytime: anyone ever try one of those swivel sweepers that was on tv not to long ago? we found one at DG and hubby had to try it. it has a battery on the handle, no cords is nice, lightweight is nice, swivels nice. was in the bathroom trying to pick up some dirt and it "kicked" it out in front of it. so i chased it til i got it. forward, backward, in circles...Really? the only thing i can say good about it is..after chasing dirt all around the floor, my arm got good exercise.. I mean, come on! a broom and dustpan would have been more efficient and quicker than that thing..so ya, hubby gets to "play" with it when he wants to. I'm DONE!

Rain started last night and will be with us yet tomorrow. then the next day's high is 36?? WOW! might even see some snow? need to make my fruitcake, behind this year. now that i said it, maybe I'll find the gumption to get it done. lol (will let ya know)

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)

Edited by - craftbug on Nov 28 2011 09:45:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  12:02:23 PM  Show Profile
Clue #1 our secret involves shingles and bricks

(sorry Glenda but had to take Lily Dog to groomer and run errands this morning)
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  1:31:03 PM  Show Profile
Hellloooooo! I'm trying to write from inside Glenda's suitcase. I'm just checking it out for space. Holly and Nancy, there's room right here beside me. We just have to coordinate when we are slipping in and then only have to be quiet until it's actually too late for her to kick us out. I think we can get on with our holiday stuff for now and at the last minute - tuck in. She will have more fun if we are there with her in Mexico anyway.

Oh, and Holly, I'm so with you on a virtual vacation. As long as we don't have to have bring our manners. (Glenda wouldn't anyway. Have you SEEN that pool boy?!)

By the way ... we had a "no heat" dryer problem last year. Turned out a bird had totally plugged the vent with nesting materials ... I was amazed at how much Larry got out of there. The safety thingy on the dryer made it so the heat wouldn't work unless the dryer was venting properly. Although, the creative solution you came up with reminds me of when I was a little girl (around 7 or 8) and my mother had rigged up a "system" for drying socks and underwear in front of the oven in the winter. And that makes me recall minus 30 degrees and snow drifts taller than me.

Beth, Judith, Nan - Thank goodness you made it! Sometimes I worry that the girlfriends that are looking for us - aren't finding us. Heaven knows though - we are loud enough! This forum about tripled in activity just since July. I think it has something to do with us letting our inner rowdies out. We don't worry about how things look or where we've been in life. We just love each other. We play with gusto ... enjoy being childlike -- sometimes childish -- and we, like blood sisters, really do support each other through tough times, challenges and changes in life and lifestyles ... and we rejoice when things are going well. We learn from each other and share it all here.

I just spent about an hour trying to catch up with you, gfs! My great-GD hogged the laptop Friday thru Sunday - and only left it to get me to play pick-up-sticks, do spin-art with her, play boggle or cook with me. She did "let" me look at mermaid books that are on her wish list on Amazon.com. And the 19 month old great-GD wore me out playing chase, peek-a-boo, pick me up/put me down, kissy face. (I do love those kids so no "real" complaints.)

I had 8 for Thanksgiving Dinner in Cupertino - DH and me, MIL, SIL, BIL, DS, GS and nephew. I did the whole shebang. My left ankle and foot ached so bad afterward that I thought I was going to need a crutch. But I was fine once we got to Oakhurst on Friday.

DS, DIL, DGD & her SO and the 2 greats came on Friday afternoon and stayed with us for the rest of the weekend in Oakhurst - and with my BFF and her DH, I had 11 for dinner on Saturday. I made salad, a big batch of Swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes and broccoli. A nice change from all that turkey.

I am not a Black Friday participant. I just don't want anything that badly. But for those of you who do participate ... more power! Go, GF!

I'm sorry for my gfs with colds. I'm with you, Glenda, about friends who "share" that bug: "I'm your cold. I just want to BE with you." Wish both would stay away. Hey, sweet-ums, fill us in on your time away at the craft show. That sounds like fun. (When did our stuff become "vintage.")

Debra - the movies sound great. But I wasn't able to watch any TV at all for the last four days. And now that "Dancing" is done ... I have to figure out what to entertain myself with while vegging on the sofa. Sudoku? Perhaps. Back to PBS and Mystery Theatre, Keeping Up Appearances, As Time Goes By ... and ... have you seen Doc Martin? I actually bought the whole series for Larry and me for our birthdays. Droll, funny.

Kathleen and the rest of the over 60 gfs - I'm 69 and still don't know how I got this old. With my kids, truthfully, I didn't think I'd make it this far. Now - when they whine poetic on the challenges of raising families - I tell them they got what they deserved. I'm still pretty coherent - although the other day I told my DH that I'd be ready to go as soon as I finished loading the "dictionary!" Hope that's not a sign of things to come. Or, if it is, I hope I can continue to see the humor in it. I think that anyone who makes it this far is considered a "collectable." Or is it a "keeper?"

Thelma - I like your morning weigh-in routine! I may have to print and paste it by my scale.

Well - it's time for me to get off my duff and get some grocery shopping, (perishables) done - and I guess some laundry, too. I'm just low energy today. But gotta get a move on. It will perk me up.

Onward toward Christmas and 2012!

Certain gfs ate all the chocolate macadamia nut candy that I'd packed while traveling from Maui to the mainland. So it's back to -

Chocolate Kisses ...

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  1:52:01 PM  Show Profile
well, i am back from thanksgiving. my brothers did show up at mom's so we bought some food and ate together. planning on doing pretty much the same thing at Christmas. i am just not in a christmas mood - this will be the 2nd one without my sweet husband and i just don't feel much of anything about it in the "regular" way. I am a christian and I love the Lord Jesus and I try to celebrate His life everyday not just one day a year like so much of the world does.
Money is very tight right now and every year i have thought of doing something for my farmgirl friends but i have yet to get off of my "duff" and do it so i am just depressed i guess or maybe i need a swift kick in my "duff". My mom doesn't do much for this time of the year anymore, in fact, none of my "blood" relatives do....
just talking or musing..
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  4:56:01 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Janie- I had friends who help serve dinner on Christmas day at one of the churches. I know of other people who help make hats and scarfs for the foster children. I have heard that there are some places where there are foster children who do not receive presents in their foster homes so maybe you could ask your DCF for a name or two and make cookies or sew something for a child. If I am down in the dumps I try to do something for someone else because then I have to get off my duff because I have made the committment. Just a suggestion.

We are raising a grandchild whom we have adopted. He is 4. YOu will see me write about Ross. It is a different boat to get on. It does not matter that I love him to pieces sometimes I remember that I was not planning on raising children this young when I am this old.

We have apple trees and have recently planted two cherry trees and two pear trees so I hope they grow and produce before I am too old to climb the ladder to pick the fruit. I look at the catalogs and dream of what would be possible if I did not live in zones 3/4. It is hard for me to imagine growing an avocado tree to produce. Actually years ago when the front hall was still 22 feet high I did have an avocado tree that I had grown from a seed. I had to give it away when we closed in the ceiling to make two more bedrooms. I am a little jealous.

Now Thelma my doctor whom I saw last week tells me that hot flashes can last the rest of my life. I told her thank you very much I have been living with this perimenopause-menopause stuff since I was 35. She also said my breasts could get bigger. I told her that I was looking forward to little bags of marbles.

We had the sprayer stays on problem. I went to the hardware store and bought a new sprayer head. If you turn off the water under the sink you can unscrew the head off the hose and put the new one one. It probably will not match the rest of the faucet but it will not soak you when you turn it on.

OK girl friends when you are thinking about new projects that you have never done before think about what you want in the project. Look in a book or on line for how to's and then think about what you already know how to do. Take your time and be happy with what you have done. I know how to put the rafters on with hangers but I like nailing the rafters on tipped sideways to that is how I do it. I am happy I do not care any more if someone else comes and says Oh you should have done it this way. I thank them for their advice and take it into consideration for the next project but I also say I like it this way.

I have a carharrt barn coat. The sleeves are ragged on the cuffs. I thought it might fall apart when I washed it because I fell in the manure. I like to layer it because it keeps the wind at bay.

I would like to live near you Glenda because I like to make dolls. I have not made any for a while because the children take up so much time. I am sure you will come up with a clever way to attach the shoulders.

Several years ago my cat Morgaine died. She was 21 when she died. When she was 15 she asked to sleep under the covers so I let her thinking that she is old and will not live much longer. I slept with her under the covers everynight for 6 years.

Today was very overcast the temperatures were probably in the low fifties.

We had chicken divan for supper. I boiled and boned three chicken halves, made a white sauce with cheddar cheese. I put the chicken in the bottom of the greased cake pan, put broccoli on top. Put on the white sauce and sprinkled the top with bread crumbs. Cooked in the oven on 350 for thirty minutes or so. I thought it was very yummy.

I would like to make a stone house someday. I have a dvd on how to do it. the basic concept does not look to intellectually difficult. I think the labor will be intensive and I know virtually nothing about wiring or plumbing. Next summer I am hoping to put my green house together so I think I will be putting some sort of foundation under it to keep the 6" X 6" timbers off the ground. I have someone to dig the hole. Neighbors built their own stone house so they will be resources for how to mix the cement and lay the stone. Although they did not use a sliding frame of wood to keep the walls straight. Bruce use a plumb line. So, I will learn a few more things to add to my repetoire. That is the plan.

good night everyone,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  5:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all, I finally got rid of all the Thanksgiving Company and then of course got up sick this morning. Just decided to jump on to let you all know I'm alive...feel like poop, but alive, I don't even have the strength to read more than this page. but welcome to the new ladies you will love it here...I hope to catch up and get back to visit more tomorrow...sure miss you all so much.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  9:31:39 PM  Show Profile
Patsy, I wish I could have seen you chasing that dirt around your bathroom. Remember the popeal pocket fisherman? That was the beginning of way to many infomercials and junk just waiting for new homes. Did you weigh yourself while you were dancing around the bathroom.
Holly, I am going to be 65 in December and i am done flashing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shisssssssssssssss don't tell your doctor.

Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  9:36:17 PM  Show Profile
Remember I told every one that hubby and I have a secret.
Clue #1 our secret involves shingles and bricks.
Clue #2 we have become very good at telling lies ( not to worry - there will be no lies in any clues)
Clue #3 will be posted tomorrow afternoon.
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  11:44:27 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone!
Sorry to hear more are not feeling well. Take care Penny!
Thankfully, I am beginning to shake this cold at last.
Sure enjoyed all of your stories each of you have shared, ladies!
It is getting pretty Cold here over the next couple days, not above 30 in the daytime for one of them. I think winter has arrived!!!
Spent most of yesterday, running errands and grocery shopping.......stores are still pretty hectic here.
Hey, has anyone 'antiqued' anything before? I want to attempt it on a corner cabinet that I have??! I am painting it a sage green. But want that to have more depth to it? Would I paint it a darker color first? Then the sage and kinda rub it off some? Seems I remember seeing something like that done on an hgtv show once. Any thoughts would help!
Well, maybe I can get a bit more shut eye before sun is up!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Farmgirl hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page