Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  7:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all,

I just want to tell you ladies how I love reading your posts and seeing all the wonderful pics.

Betty, that's alot of Dec birthdays. I hope someday the grands will look you up..sorry that you don't know where they are...I understand about having to drive to get to any fabric stores, mine is a little closer about 48 miles or so...bummer sometimes. I did do a little shopping after the baby shower Sat. but didn't get any fabric...so much on sale at Hobby Lobby, I ran out of money...Dh is so sweet and gave me extra money a few weeks ago so when he does stuff like that I do my best not to spend over my little stash..lol...but maybe next time...if I would just get to my Momma's I would have more fabric than I could ever use. She has everything she had packed in bags so that it would stay safe from critters and any chance of getting wet...DH said he would take me soon...just got to get to it...You sure have more than we do, even our nearest walmart is about 30 miles away...and the home depot and lowes are about 50. Sorry to hear about the pig...but 10 years is a good life span for a pig...I'm glad you have good neighbors too..

Patty, the pictures are so beautiful...so glad you shared them. You sound like you live in a very rural area just like me...I love it out here but at times I do miss the convenience of having stores close. But wouldn't change the farm for anything.

Dianne, thank you, she really did love the gifts, she told me when we were alone tht they were her favorite because I took the time to MAKE them and she knew they were made with love...she made my day. SNOW already, wow. We got snow 3 times last year which is very unusual because we normally only get ice...it was very beautiful here is a pic or two..

Judy, I just love that story of your day. Sounds romantic...and the pics are gorgeous. But now I'm curious...what did you have to eat? With pics like that, was it seafood? I just love this sentence "The food was fabulous and the company was great! *giggle*" You really made me smile...I can tell that ya'll are IN LOVE...I think it is so wonderful...thanks for sharing the story and the pics... love ya girl..

I was so sick yesterday and part of today, didn't get DH apple pie made, I bought apples at a fruit stand on my way home from the shower Sat. But will get it done tomorrow...it is his favorite...One of my greatest joys is cooking for that man...he is so easy to please and enjoys my cooking so much...he was sweet today and went and got us take out tonight....I finally felt like eating and boy was it good. Hope everyone has a great evening...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  7:51:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Eeeryone
My Gkid Logan needs your prayers. My oldest DD told me they found two lumps on the back of his neck. She is taking him to the Dr. tomarrow, Tuesday. Please pray. He is only years old. I am so scared.

Dianne (Idaho)
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  9:46:06 PM  Show Profile
Diane, Prayers for your grand child Logan. How old is he?
I will be thinking of him...Please let us know how things go for you and the family.
debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  11:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Dianne, I have your Grandson Logan in my prayers, please let us know what the Dr. says. I saw your post on the Porch but wanted to respond here instead.

Debra, Logan is 5.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  05:57:58 AM  Show Profile
Good morning to the best virtual coffee shop there is... right here every morning with some awesome ladies! Today is the dreaded weigh-in day. I have been so laxed, I am sure I will tip the scales in the wrong direction this week. Gosh, I have got to get back on track.
Yesterday, I was up early and on craigslist looking for display carts for my craft sales and ended up looking for pigeons...lol. So I found someone with some homers a little over 100 miles away. I sweet talked hubby (Dalous) into taking a road trip. It was a nasty rainy day anyway. We ended up with 4 mixed colors for my cousin and we bought 2 baby white birds. The babies are still "squeakers". We did meet some great people. The guy that had the birds does some awesome woodworking and his wife is a recycler and does crafts and sewing. We visited for a long time...lol. I love meeting new friends! I have the squeakers in the house to make sure they eat. I think I will make a little sack to carry them around, kinda like the one MJF had in the issue with the chicken baby crib. I want these birds to be people friendly. We talked about building a new pigeon loft on the way home, so I searched craigslist with my iphone and found a chicken coop on wheels in Springfield, Il...happened to be about 5 minutes off the interstate and right on our way home. The outside has unfinished plywood. It is 5 x 10 and insulated. I am so excited. $50 cheap too! We couldn't buy the plywood for $50. Perfect for a pigeon loft with a little makeover. I will put siding on it to match our little barn, and build a flight cage on it. Dalous and my brother-in-law will pick it up as soon as it stops raining here.

Dianne - Prayers for Logan, and for his mama and grandma too.

Penny - The snow pictures are so pretty. I want snow...but only for Christmas...lol.

Judy- It looks like it was a beautful day in Ohio. I miss Ohio! Though it is good to be home here with my family.

Betty - I love pigeons. I think they are so much fun. I love sitting out in the yard and watching them fly around. And of course the wedding $$ is such easy money. A nice bonus.

Well.... chores await. Coffee is good this morning, but I have to get up and move. Have a good day.

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Nov 08 2011 05:59:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  06:33:10 AM  Show Profile
Good morning to all! Wow 120 pgs, goodness! So much to catch up on with everyone and I look forward to doing so! Brenda and her DH made the trip here and back safely. We had a great time together and they are just like family to us! So thankful for Mjf friendship! My daughter's SIL is still missing. She did not stay put at the motel and nobody knows now her exact whereabouts. She occasionally posts on fb, crazy things, or calls a family member...also not making much sense. Authorities are looking for her , but frankly with so much red tape, havent been much help at all. It is very scary and I am not at all certain this will have a good outcome. I truly hope to post later and catch up with everyone and all the new ladies. Prayers for everyones day! Farmgirl hugs, linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  08:59:56 AM  Show Profile
The baby pigeons are precious. I must think about getting some. My two baby chicks are doing fine even with the cold weather. Mama keeps them under her wing when they'll let her. Typical kids, always exploring. The silkies are getting along with the big chickens. Only the female is smaller than the bigger hens. The rooster is the same size. Now he has a harem of seven. The other pair of bantams are alone for now but they don't seem to mind.

My prayers are with you gals. One of my granddaughters (five at the time) had lumps in her neck and they turned out to be benign fatty tumors and were removed and she's fine now. I'' keep your grandson in my prayers Dianne.

How dreadful, Linda that she can't be found, but prayers are very strong.

I agree this makes a very good coffee stop. When I started posting on here we were on page 35. Wow! Does that mean we talk a lot? Ha! Time for me to get off here and get ready for a trip to town. I don't really want to go but I've run out of a few things that I can't do without. Our freeze warning has been lifted but we have another front coming in on Thursday night which is supposed to be stronger than these last two. We go to Lancaster (76 miles one way) on Thursday for hubby's doctor app't so hope the weather holds off until we get home since we have to drive through Red Rock Canyon which is higher in elevation than the rest of the road.

Have a good day everyone, Hugs, Betty
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  10:59:49 AM  Show Profile
I haven't been on for awhile. Went to see the grandkids, helped with an antique plowing event, and I am trying to get quilt blocks sewn together as my machine quilting gal is waiting on me. Yep its a Christmas gift. Talking snow here for tonight. Hope it passes by as we are just on the edge of storm. Weather people can sure make mountains out of mole hills. Can anyone tell me where I can find a sight that shows badge projects people have finished. I found it once and now it seems to have vanished. Hope everyone is staying healthy. Breaks over - back to quilting!
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  11:36:44 AM  Show Profile
I'm sitting with you, Patty -- drinking my coffee and watching birds out on the lanai. They are so bold here. If the screen door is open they will come right in looking for crumbs.

Wonderful pictures, everyone. Baby showers and baby birds -- and weddings -- and those gorgeous dove photos - and then Judy out gallavantin' with her hubby - and snow photos, too. I'll never catch up with all you gfs! But I'll try. No photos from me for at least two weeks. I am on hubby's work laptop here in Maui - and am not loving it (the computer, that is) ...but it's a way to communicate.

Dianne, Logan is in prayer. Please keep us appraised of his condidtion.

Debra - I love the costume - Blackeyed Peas. Very, very cute! Priceless - Precious - Pictures (3 Ps - get it? How corny can I be? And, I am so very sorry that you lost your friend. I'm sure the memorial was difficult but beautiful.

Glenda - I couldn't help but notice that one of your sweeties is named Lola. I don't know if you were on yet when we were talking about German Shepherds, etc ... but I talked about mine (of 30 years or so ago). One was Boris - the other Lola. Not a common name for a dog - or so I thought!

Oh - I'm so sorry I mixed you and Brenda up when I mentioned the sexy devil costume. (At least I'm pretty sure it was actually Brenda who made it!)

Isn't it incredible that so many of us have just found our like-minded gfs? I have SO virtually hugged you so often. And here's another one coming at you after reading about the barndominium! And you had a Mr. Charming, too! Wow. I just know we have even more stories - but probably would take too long to share them on a forum! I think you are so amazing handling things the way you do. I'll just bet that your fella thinks so, too. Of course, he would like to have you around to just "be with" - but, hey - he's got a honey with a life of her own and you can appreciate each other in your own ways. You know I said never say never - but there's a lot to be said for the independent life, too.

I'm with you, and Ginny, on being "green" with the kids and gr-kids. They will get Junque Sale "gifts" (wrapped) and the expected green for their wallets. I would go back to the old-fashioned Christmas in a heartbeat - but I just don't feel like spending $$ and/or time on something that would wind up being regifted or tossed aside when I'm not "in the neighborhood."

I can appreciate your message to Debra about praying and the words will come - not from, but through you. I have my story about that, too.

I hear on the news that you are in for some really wet (and cold) weather. Bundle up, babe - and hunker down. I'll be watching and praying that you stay warm and comfy.

I think I'll sprinkle in a few updates on this end ---- while reading through and enjoying everyone's posts. If I'm responding to "old news" please forgive me. Also if I'm repeating myself. That is just the combination of being a mom AND being chronologically gifted.

Okay - Patty, here I sit in the Westin Villa - ocean front - enoying a fabulous view, overlooking the warm side of the Pacific, palm trees swaying in the trade winds, and the pristine Kaanapali Beach - and I'm wishing for salad!

I was beat after the Junque Sale. My feet felt like bags of bricks! My legs ached and I could bare lift them to get into the car. DH gave me a foot and leg massage which felt good but didn't really change the reality of how wiped out I was. You gals who didn't like the time change ... I was sooo glad to have that extra hour in the morning. We had to get up at 5:30 to get ready and get to the airport, etc. That, after actually doing some laundry and doing the packing Saturday night after the JS! (What did I say about procrastination?) Anyway ... I nodded off a couple of times on the plane -- it's 5&1/2 hours from SFO to Maui Kahalui and another 45 minutes to the Villas. (You really did have a long way to get to the Islands, didn't you?) Well, we figured we had to eat so after checking in, we drove over to Lahaina and had fish & chips at Bubba Gump's. All of a sudden, at dinner, I was so tired all I wanted was to sleep. We got back (at 6 p.m.) and I got right in bed and didn't hear another thing until almost 7 a.m.

Good for you, gf, finishing off the floor and fixing the door. I find that whenever I finally tackle whatever is bugging me I wonder why I just didn't get it over with sooner. But, being a bit of a procrastinator, I'll think about it tomorrow and get to it sometime --- unless someone else does it first. (Like that's ever going to happen!)

The Junque Sale was great! Oh, how I wished my new farm-girlfriends could have been there! (I'll post a few pictures when we get home from Maui.) We had SO MUCH STUFF!!!!! It was flat out hard labor from the first meatball on Wednesday until we counted the $$$$ on Saturday evening. Final tally will be in the neighborhood of $12,000 after we collect a few I.O.U.s. I swore I wasn't going to shop this year. But I couldn't help it! There were just so many "finds". My sister came from Georgia to help one year and filled a large suitcase (found at the JS) with stuff she bought. Last week she e-mailed me that I should look for a parmesan cheese grater for her. Friday afternoon I opened a box to find a brand new parmesan cheese grater right on top! We truly do get wonderful "junque" for this sale. I am going to miss it next year. But, after this transition year - I realized that I have to not be present at all for volunteers to stop looking to me for leadership. My friend's personality and "style" is VERY different from mine. In order for her to be able to run it - I have to get completely out of the way - at least for a year - maybe 2.

The baked meatball sandwiches went over big-time! I had 6 meatballs left at the end of lunch. Everyone ate their fill and then some.

Patty - Our 49ers are now 1-7. wooHoo! Go niners! (Our Giants (BB) sucked this past year though. Oh well. Each one has a mother who loves him.)

Thanks for the info on the gingerbread men crayons. I bought a bunch of crayons at the Junque Sale so I can make them. But I have to buy the pan. It'll be so worth it though!

I don't think I mentioned earlier that I think your calendar is fantastic. I may give it a go next year. Things won't be so hectic then.

$285 IS an odd number for a booth fee. And kind of expensive, too. Wonder where they came up with that number. It seems they are making it a little tough for a lot of talented craftpeople to participate. Why would they do that if they want it to be a success. Odd. I think your having an open house is a great idea. It's the sort of thing I have actually been to around our area in Cupertino. The open houses are usually so warm and friendly and it's a good feeling to buy from someone you have actually spent time with. Usually I buy more because I'm enjoying myself. At a craft fair - I sort of browse and wander - not always spending the time to really see the quality. Not focussed enough.

Guess what went out the door on the Salvation Army truck at the end of the Junque Sale. Display cases/carts. I guess folks didn't know they were for sale. They were good ones. Looked like new.

You are making me jealous -- I am so ready to get out of the Bay Area and up to Oakhurst where I can find the joy of natural things nearby and enjoy the birds. The back of the Oakhurst house is literally in the treetops and the birds are so "charming." I love it.

And Patty, I'm betting that the chemo patients really appreciate you. What thoughtful inspiration you gfs bring to the table.

Holly - I hear you when you say Erma Bombeck. I remember the pillowcase story, too! (And many others.) I laughed and had to share your tractor story with DH and he loved it. I also read him the bit about the pigs lifting you clear off the ground when you were trying to repair the side of the house. I love your posts! He thinks I'm a little silly with my "farmgirl thing" but is actually very supportive. Hard to describe.

Betty - You are such a clear and interesting writer that I'm sure you will do a great job on the Trestleboard. I've done newsletters for various orgs and always enjoyed it. I was a ad copywriter in another life and it was fun to work on newsletters. You are going to be a busy lady with that and with helping with fundraising for the quilt guild.

Penny - Did I say great pictures of the birthday boy's pig pickin'? Beautiful daughter! Beautiful family. And the blanket is gorgeous. Actually, all the gifts you made are lovely.

Hey, gf, I had a duffle ready to tuck you in - wound up packing it in DH's bag. Guess I'll have to fill it on this end.

Your gifting the handicapped adults with your caring and visit is very special...and so are you.

BTW - I've lived in Cupertino for about 9 years and still don't have my library card. Blaming Amazon.com and B&N.

Linda - I am so sorry that your daughter's SIL left the motel before they arrived. I'm writing 4 days after your post and hope that she is now safe and cared for.

Hey Thelma - good to see you jump on. What is an "antique plowing event" -- just curious?

Nancy - Sorry, But I had to laugh at your doggy doorbell story. I imagine you have things under control now?

And, gf, I can't tell you how many times I've goofed up a quilting pattern. Sometimes the goofed up one turns out okay. I just say I planned it that way! My neighbor, in Oakhurst, who I adore - pointed out that I had screwed up on a pattern she gave me. I had admired her finished project. I told her that I couldn't just "copy" her! She laughed.

I am more afraid of tornadoes than earthquakes, too. I've been very near the path of tornadoes just outside of Minneapolis -- and have experienced "real rockers" of earthquakes in the Bay Area. We had a big one in '88 and several other "babies." Tornadoes are still scarier.

Cheryl .. What DID you make from Pinterest?

I'm so glad your DH is recovering. What a trooper! Good thoughts going your way.

Chocolate Kisses ... from Maui

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  1:00:22 PM  Show Profile
Daryls, My husband and his family are big time into antique tractor restoration. When the field work is done they all get together, hook up plows and have two days of old fashioned farming experiences. On Saturday night there is a big pot luck with a roast hog, and plenty of liquid libation for those who partake. family and friends together make great memories.
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  2:20:04 PM  Show Profile
Judy, Atwood Lake. I am so familar with this area. Your pictures were like being home. I did hear that they closed the lodge. Is that true? My friend has a pontoon boat out were you ate lunch. They may have it closed up for the season. Thanks for sharing.
Did you go through Zoar when you went to Atwood? I lived near there.

I am sending pictures of some turkeys that our senior group made last year for Thanksgiving dinner at a nursing. (there are 150 of them gobblers) They are the cutest things. Hope you enjoy

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  3:41:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

Praise God! Thats all I can say today. We found out that my Gkid Logan has an infection in a couple of limph nodes (I probably did not spell that right). He is on a really heavy antibiotic.
We have to watch him because the antibiotic can cause some bad reactions. But the Dr. said he should be fine in a couple of weeks. He is 5 so getting him to take the stuff is hard enough with out some kind of reaction.
but no cancer. My DD's mil just passed away of some really nasty stuff so we were all praying it was nothing like that. A big thank you and hugs to all of you for preying for Logan.
I am glad I found sister who jump right in and pray when it is asked for.Thank You again.

Judy love the pics.

Penny I love the pic of the snow and horses. I have a secret love for horses.I know what you mean about cooking for your man. I was so stressed yesterday about my gkid that I made more
cinnamon rolls and rocky road brownies. My DH just looked at me and said "You made Both" I told him he wouldn't make up his mind and I was not going to wait till he did. He laughed and said
he wanted both any way. LOL

Patty They are so cute. I just love birds. Must be why I have so many different chickens. I am glad you want to make them people friendly.

Debra I love the turkeys they look so cute.

I just got 2 silky angora bunnies:) My friend needed a olace for them. She has a lot of bunnies and these two needed a home. I didn't think my DH would let me have them, we don't have a hutch or anything.
He said he probably had enough wood and stuff to make a hutch so if I wanted them to go get them. I LOve that man:). They are grey and soooooo fuzzy. If anyone has pointers on bunnies angora or other I would
welcome them. I have not had bunnies since I was about 10 and that was a few years ago, ok more than a few, I'll go with several. LOL . My oldest DD looked at me and just shook her head.
My youngest DD had to get them ot and play with them. I think my Youngest DD is more like me than my oldest.

Dianne (Idaho)
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  4:03:55 PM  Show Profile
Debra, these turkeys are so cute! My husband's mom is in a home and residents really do enjoy the little seasonal things people give them. thank you for your time and energy. I'm sure you made some residents smile!!!!!

Dew, what great news! I will continue to pray for your grandson. Enjoy those bunnies
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  4:59:23 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone.

Today was an absolutely gorgeous day. T shirt weather. The temperatures must have been in the fifties or low sixties. I can't tell anymore because my outside thermometer fell down off the gate post and as I reached for it a pig stepped on it.

The blue in the sky of the lake pictures is the same blue as the autumn blue skies here. So clean and pure.

I have known people who have litter trained bunnies and kept them in the house. they were cleaner than the cats and fun to cuddle.

I was surprised to here that the pot bellied pig was 200 pounds. I remember when having a pig as a pet was a craze and were kept as housepets. I can't imagine having a 200 pound pig as a housepet.

The baby pigeons are so cute. I was looking on line to see if there was anyone around here selling any and Vermont was not listed. some of the sites said they would ship but how would a grown pigeon ship here from say Florida? Our baby chicks come by male from Pennsylvania and last year our guineas came from Missouri but babies are a lot different from a grown bird. I thought the black homing pigeons on some of the sites were beautiful and wondered if people would like them released for funerals.

We are twelve miles from Montpelier which has our grocery store and town shops. We have to go an additional five miles to get up to the material store and then Walmart. HOme depot is north maye 45 miles. About 6 miles from my house is a wool store for people who hook rugs and braid them. the people who run the store have a hooked rug conference each June down at Vermont Technical College. The workshops look like fun. The ones I remember that I thought would be interesting to attend were the dying wool class and the how to hook flowers.

I am glad Logan will be fine. My son had a lymph node erupt in his neck about eight years ago. One day he had a lump on the side of his neck. I told him to stop squeezing it and we put on hot compresses. I donot panick about these types of things. Then three days later I took him to the doctors. She sent us up to the hospital for tests. It ended up being the result of cat scratch fever. they asked if we had had kittens in the last six months. We had 11 cats at the time. He could have gotten scratched any time in the last six month! Who could keep track? Any way he had to go up to Burlington and be put under. the doctor drained the cyst and the home health nurse came everyday to repack it. He was a real trooper. Our doctor did not let on how serious a bump like this could be until afterwards when she told us she had him checked for lymphatic cancer. I am glad that is over.
The table turkey decorations are cute. when I had a Girl Scout troop we made centerpieces for community lunch for the holidays. Here in our town each Wednesday is Community Lunch. A group of people make lunch at the town hall and anyone can go and eat. It is a time to visit and catch up. We have donated three turkeys for community lunch Thanksgiving this year. The turkeys were about 20 pounds whole. I have them cut in half so they pack easier into the freezer.

I a glad the Junque sale went well. I can't imagine having a fund raiser to make 12,000 inone weekend. that is fabulous.

One of my sons birthmothers went missing on a bipolar binge. She called strategic people through out her trip to tell them how many pills she had taken and to taunt that no one would ever find her. this was seveeral years ago before caller ID was prevalent. They did find her and keep her alive. I wish the best for your daughter and her SIL Caring for someone who is so spun inside herself is so difficult especially when you are helpless to help.

Yesterday afternoon I went to the neighbors to have him sharpen my chainsaw. I know how but he sharpens it better than a machine and it is a good time to visit. Anyway I took Ross our four year old with me. He was sad his friend Marina(neighbor's wife) had gone shopping sohe was eing very four. He did something unsafe and was reprimanded. He took himself to the car and sat inside for a little while. Then he opened the door and yelled Mama I locked the car and shut the door. The keys were in it. It ended up that we have no spare keys at home. So, AAA came and pried the window out a little and shoved a rigid fiberglas rod in to the car and popped the lock. Less than two minutes to undo an embarrassing ooopps. I guess that will teach me to leave the keys in the car when I have Ross out visiting.

Have a good night.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  6:25:49 PM  Show Profile
I'm over 50, way past 60, and will be in my 70's next year. Sixty bothered me and I am sure seventy will too. I just don't want to be "that old." But with the alternative, I'm sure I will come around.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  7:51:27 PM  Show Profile
Penny, yes, I had a nicely breaded, BIG filet of whitefish, some delicious crunchy sauted veggies and thin fries with pepper and sea salt. Hubby had a HUGE cesear salad. I think it all tasted so good just because it was so gorgeous out, and the company was good. We were the only ones there until the end, then another couple came out and sat outside too. I overheard them talking about the whitefish, so I recommended it and they both got it and agreed that it was very nice indeed. :) We saw lots of sailboast, houseboats, pontoons and small boats at the marina/restaurant that were shrink-wrapped in bright blue plastic, heavy stuff. Today,in our local paper was an article about a new business that does it that's located right here in Canton. Neat! They've only been around 2 years, but said that it's amazing the things that you can shrink-wrap,large&small,and it will protect it from ultraviolet rays, snow, ice, wind and rain for up to 2 years. Interesting!
Patty, those baby "Squeakers" are so cute with their little "Sprigs" on top of their heads. Ya just wanna lay your cheek on them and feel the fuzz! hahaha
Debra, loved the turkeys. Neat idea!
We came into Atwood region from the other side so we didn't go thru Zoar. Have you heard anything about how they need to move some buildings down there because of flooding issues? We read about it in the paper awhile back, but haven't heard any more.
We also haven't heard any more about the Lodge at Atwood either. We had heard that Kent State wanted to buy it, but haven't heard any more. I can't understand how a beautiful lodge like that can't attract people. But yet, Carrolton has a motel and they don't have any attractions around there at all. We stayed at the lodge for the first time, 5 years ago when we got married and tried to go back every year on our Anniversary. It was so peaceful and they had an indoor pool that Hubby liked and we met other nice people there who liked coming back in the fall after the kids went back to school. They said it was nice to have the pool to swim in leasurely and not have to worry about kids doing cannon balls and such.....just peaceful. So we went back later too, and it was very quiet. We liked it even better than in June! Sometimes I think that people aren't into peace&quiet. They need noise and rides and craziness in order to call it vacation. Not us! We like nature and being still,listening to the birds,watching the deer and other (4 legged) wildlife.
If we do loose the lodge, it will be such a sad loss!!
Dianne(ID)I am Praising God for Logans report right along with you!
Holly,I've had house bunnies for years. They are so clean and quiet and as long as you bunny-proof the house(put wires behind things, out of "nibble-range") and give them plenty of chew sticks,rawhide,blocks of wood, they are wonderful,loving pets. Their teeth grow constantly so they need chew toys. Even pumice stones, which they love, is good for them.You can go on-line and read helpful tips on the House Rabbit Society! They helped me when I started out with my first bunny.I lost my last bunn about 2 years ago at 9 1/2 years old. I miss him still. He was my first boy. I always had girls before. He bonded with me and was the sweetest pet. He'd chase my DH away every time he came around. He'd stomp his little feet and growl and charge at him. We'd laugh about it, but the 'lil guy was serious. LOLOL It was so cute. I always had just one at a time and always had them altered. I never did train any of them to a litter box. They just hopped back into their cage when they had to go, then scampered back out again and took off to play some more or find a sunbeam to stretch out and snooze in. Such sweeties. They can learn key-words too like cookie, cracker, banana. They're smart. If you have any other questions just ask.
Well, we had another warm/sunny/68 day again. We went to vote, had breakfast and took another drive and ended up at a Goodwill and then GreenFarms Farmers market to get some fresh fruit. We had a good day doing 'nuttin special, but just being.
Good night FarmBuds! I'm tired.
Oh, here's a pic of the Lodge taken from our pontoon boat a couple of years ago and a pic of an old all glass pitcher,made in Italy, that I found today at Goodwill. Such a neat find.

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  8:01:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Betty in Pasco. I'm a Betty too. It didn't bother me when I turned 40, 50 or 60 for that matter. What bothered me was when my oldest son turned 50. I don't know why it did. Now I'm over 70 and find that age is just a number. I don't feel it or act it so I just forget it and go on.

The pot bellied pig never was really a house pet and why they let him get that big is beyond me.

I had a nice surprise today when I went out to collect eggs. One of my new hens laid a blue/green egg. It looked so pretty beside the other four brown ones. My hens are weird. there are 6 nest boxes but they only lay in one of them. I often see them lined up waiting for the one nest when all the others are empty and filled with nice straw. They'll wait and fuss like they're telling the one on the nest to hurry up as it's their turn.

A friend wants me to take her Brinsea incubator and put some of my banty eggs in it. We know the eggs are fertile so maybe I'll get a hatch. She's tried twice now and nothing has happened. She doesn't know if it's the Brinsea or her not following directions. I'll pick it up Friday and try it out.

So happy to hear our prayers have been answered and the boy has an infection and not something worse, although an infection in the lymph glands is serious stuff.

I layered a queen size quilt today and got it pinned so now I can start quilting it. Hubby is off tomorrow so we'll do garden work and plant three more trees plus whatever else we come up with. I may get to start on the quilt when he goes to lodge tomorrow night.

Have a good night everyone,

Betty
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  04:43:19 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, first cup of coffee and ready to chat. We did some running around yesterday and ended up gone all day again. Took Dalous with me for my weigh in and some shopping. I had won a gift card for a hair salon at a "Green Fair" so I used it for what I figure will be the last time I ever have my hair done. I had the girl put some highlights in it so it blends in better with the gray. Still all the gray on top, but lots of blonde highlights. My hair is long so I just pin it up and you notice even less. She used a flat iron on it and I came out of there looking like a totally different person. My hair is naturally curly. While we were out, we stopped at a steak house to eat with a salad/dinner bar. We each ordered a t-bone dinner but mostly ate off of the salad bar. My hubby ask for a to-go box to take what was left of our steak home and they gave us little doggy bags. He asked for something that would not leak juice all over the truck seat and the manager came out and told him it was not cost effective for her to give him a to-go box that he would have to settle for a doggy bag. She said "you eat a dinner off the bar while you are here and then take a dinner home". It is not cost effective for me to give you a to-go box. She finally packed it up for us, but he told her the next time he comes he will bring his little "eco-friendly Take-home mess kit" and pack it himself. We ordered 16 oz t-bone. No way we could eat it all.

Dianne - Wonderful news that Logan will be fine. He will still remain on my prayer list and will pray that the antibiotic works quickly. And Dianne, you sound like me...lol. People grow tired of their animals and they take em to "Patty". She'll give anything a good home. I don't have a pond, but ended up with 18 ducks this summer.
Linda - Still praying for your daughter's SIL. The family must be a wreck with worry. What a blessing it must have been to have a visit from Brenda. I am glad you had a good time.

Betty - I brought the babies in the house to make sure they eat and was beginning to worry about them. But one of them did start eating last night. They learn from others, so I am sure the other will eat as well.

Thelma - Glad you stopped in for a few minutes. I hope the quilt doesn't keep you too busy to visit us. :) The two days of old fashioned farming sound fun! Iowa is not that far away, maybe I'll have to crash next year..lol

Darlys - You will be going to the Junque sale next year, right? Let me know when it is and I will plan a visit with my daughter the same time so I can attend...lol. I wished I would have thought to tell her about it. Hubby and I ate at Bubba Gumps on the big island. We were right up against the ocean at night time and the waves were splashing us. Good meal, and great company (like Judy) **giggle** and the setting was very romantic. Hawaii is soooo romantic. I am glad you are having a wonderful relaxing time.

Debra - I love the turkeys. The waddle and head are a wooden ice cream or spoon, right? What are the feathers made of, and the beak? Those would look so cute on my table for Thanksgiving.

Holly - Your story about Ross reminded me of when one of my twins was about 11 years old. I left him in the car with the keys while I went into the garden nursery. He came in a few minutes later and said "Mom, I did something really, really bad". My first thought was that he started the car and drove it, or maybe drove it forward into the building. His "really, really bad" was getting out of the car and locking the keys in it. Not bad at all compared to my first thoughts...lol. So I was rather thrilled he locked the keys in the car. Holly, look on craigslist for pigeons. Rollers and tumblers are alot of fun to watch as well. I bought these yesterday for $4 each. Some want up to $10 or $15 each for them. But check craigslist freguently and I imagine someone will have them.

Betty in Pasco - Welcome, thanks for joining us. It is a fun talkative bunch here. :}

Judy- Love the pitcher. We stopped at Goodwill on our outing yesterday and the only thing we found was a tile trivet for my wall.

Betty in CA- Good luck on hatching the eggs. My mother has several large incubators that she hatches out eggs in every year. She does it for almost every chicken person in the community. ..lol. One year she hatched out over 3,000 chicks, ducks, geese, quail of all kinds.

Well, off to start some projects. Have a good day.

Patty #1840

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Nov 09 2011 04:50:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  05:27:44 AM  Show Profile
Good morning.

It is a little hard for me to write because I have my middle finger on my left hand in a splint. I have tendenitis in the first joint in that finger. I have to wead the splint for three weeks.

Welcome Patty J. Just jump right in and join the conversation. You will find a kind, caring, fun group here. We talk about everything from food to colorbooks to tractors and grandchildren.

Penny, looks like the baby shower was really nice and went very well. I loved seeing the pictures of where you live. It is truly beautiful there. No wonder you love it. That tractor story was funny. But probably not so funny while it was happening.

Patty, those baby doves are so sweet. I can understand why you love your birds. They are so wonderful and so beautiful. I have had only two birds. My first bird was a cocatoo. He was so smart. He spent most of the day outside his cage. I think he was about 20 when I got him. That was rather young since they live to be in their 80s ir 90s. He never talked though. He loved peanut butter and loved to chew wood. He chewed off part of one of my window sills once.

Judy, What a romantic day you had with you DH. How lovely it is to have a whole day like that, just the two of you, having a "date." I enjoyed seeing the photos. Every once in a while my DH and I get to do that and it is so nice.

Dianne, Thank God everything turned out okay for Logan. Prayer is so powerful and God is so good. He is always there to give us strengh,peace and comfort during times of great stress.

Debra, Those turkeys are the cutest things ever!! Are they made with little pots? Seeing so many lined up like that looks like they are ready to dance any minute or at least burst out in song. A turkey chorus singing "Happy Thanksgiving" aren't I too cute to eat? Those people must have enjoyed that a lot.

Darlys So good to hear from you and wow! the junque sale really did well. $12,000 that's great! You must be so exhausted after all that work. Take it easy and enjoy the island and weather there. I have never been to Maui but I hear it is quite pretty. I have been to some of the other islands there in Hawaii. I wished I could have been at that sale. Well, maybe it is better I couldn't go. I would have spent too much money and bought too much.

I had a disaster with the quilt I was making. It was the 3rd quilt I have made and the first one called Around the World. Everything went fine until I started to put the strips together. The first half went fine. Somehow when I went to put on the second half I must have put in on upside down and onto noticed it at first. Then another person told me to add the last strip on the bottom so I did. When I layed that quilt out it was so confusing I couldn't figure it out at all. I had to laugh because it looked so weird. So my DH says it is fine and what difference does it made as long as it keeps you warm. He says quilts are supposed to have all different kinds of squares all over. I told him " Not this one." I gave up on it and layed it aside. I am starting again and will be more careful this time.

I am going to make some pumpkin bread today along with oat bran muffins. It has been sort of cool here so it is a good time to do some baking. We still have two pumpkins to cut into.
I was looking outside this morning and saw a little squirril gathering acorns by our oat tree. Our cat ran toward it and the squirril went up a pine tree and sat there ,with its bushy tail going back and forth, staring down at the cat. The cat was looking up and the squrril looking down at him. It was like na-na you can't catch me. We used to have quite a few squirrils but now we have only one or two back there. There is a road on the other side and probably too many cars go by now.

Please excuse any misspellings. I am writing with this splint and it is a bit difficult. I kept putting in a 4 instead of a e in som4 places.

Many hugs,

Nancy #2301

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  05:50:33 AM  Show Profile
I just happened to see this online and had to post it for Darlys.... It made me think of you. :)

Patty #1840

Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  06:46:47 AM  Show Profile
Patty, Oh I love days like you had yesterday. glad you enjoyed it! Honey, you would be more than welcome to come to Iowa and help with plowing. We also have a antique sawmill and run it at a farmshow the first weekend after Labor Day. come on out. My quilt is an easy pattern. I am in my procrastination mode. Hope to finish it by tomorrow. with You mentioned a weigh in. do you go to weight watchers? I do Lost 40 big ones last year. I have 25 to go but have screwed around most of 2011. I need a kick in the pants!

Edited by - Thelma on Nov 09 2011 06:54:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  06:53:17 AM  Show Profile
Debra, I got your little turkeys figured out except for the feathers. Did you make them out of foam sheets?
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  08:01:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

Judy I am with you on the peace and quiet part of a vacation. We went to Yellowstone this past summer. I loved seeing all the sites and the shops.I reall y love the waterfalls they were my favorite. The part I liked the most was the early mornings
I would set on the porch of the little, and I mean little, cabin we rented. It was quiet and peaceful. I could sit out there and watch the sun come up over the mountain and drink my tea. Now that is vacationing.
Love the pictures of the lodge. and the water. It looks like a great place to just be. I hope it doen't close.

I would love to have house bunnies. I however have three dogs and they are not into sharing the house or us. They barley tolerate the time we spend with the chickens. The dogs make such a fuss when we go out to the chiken yard.
So I don't think house bunnies would work. It would be great if it did. These bunnies need to be brushed or combed about twice a week to keep the mats out of their long hair.

Betty Chickens are weird. Mine do the same thing. They raise a big fuss if a hen is in the nest they want and there are 11 other nests.

I need to run I will catch up with all of you later

Dianne
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  09:18:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Morning Ladies,

Been cold here last few mornings and calling for colder weather and possible rain....ohhhh...my tooties are cold...sometimes I keep on 2 pair of socks just to keep them warm.

First thing this morning, just want to thank GOD for answering one of my many prayers, he has watched over us through this slow real estate economy....

Well this is my second attempted at writing this morning, was posting and left to go to the bathroom, came back, it was gone, that's what I get for posting directly on the board, so this post is on my one-note page…hate that when that happens, so now guess this one may not be as good…disappointed, other post was really good…oh well.. Here I go again.

Patty IL, I love the pic of the babies, they are so cute, congrats and I never heard of them called "squeakers" sooooo cute… That snow pic was on Christmas day last year…I like snow but only every once in a while, it is unusual for us to get snow…and we got it 3 times last year…wonder what this year holds…lol So do you LOVE your hair? Would love to see pics, please. Sounds like it is really beautiful. I can't believe a restaurant can be so rude. In todays economy they should be so thankful and do all they can to keep their customers. I think I would report the actions to the owner if it were me….don't they know word of mouth can break or make a place. Your Mother sounds like mine…hatching chicks for everyone around…Momma loved doing it.

Linda KS, I am so glad that you and Brenda had a great visit, isn't it great that MJF brought ya'll together. I am sorry to hear about your DD SIL, it sounds like this might not have a good ending, I will keep her in my prayers with hope they find her safe soon.

Betty CA, I'm glad your baby chicks are going good. My Momma use to keep all her baby chicks in the house till she felt they could take care of themselves. I have to tell this story about my sister. When she was little she had a pet chicken, so funny, her name was Miss Betty, sorry…lol…anyway picture this. Young girl living in a very rural area about age 9, growing up with older brother's and sister, only brother 13 yrs older than her still living at home when she was born. She loved the chickens so she made one a pet. She use to take her pet on walks on road in front of house. Cute girl walking down the road with a chicken ,with a string tied to it's leg…sure wish Momma had gotten a pic of that…so cute…Momma said my sister was like her second family since she was so much younger than us…she was a blessing but also a surprise…lol…Momma was 39 almost 40 when she was born. I see you started on this board when it was at page 35, I started in July and I think we were on page 54 then..wow can we gab…lol.. I sure am glad to hear that age doesn't bother you..but I understand the kids getting older things. So you have an aracana chicken? My Mom had those too…love the different color eggs. Momma use to say her chickens had favorite nests and that she could imagine them standing in line with their "legs" crossed, waiting their turn..lol You sounds like you are going to have a busy day today…wow..

Thelma, so how old are your grandkids? must be nice to spend some time with them, wish I could spend more time with my grandboys…ages 12 and 15. The site you are talking about on the badges was it a page on MJF? I don't think I've seen it…but love a challenge will be happy to see if I can find it, if it was on MJF. Your roast hog pot luck sounds a lot like our pig picken…sounds wonderful…hope you took some pics to share with us. Way to go on the weight loss

DARLYS…hey girlfriend, ooooohhhhh hope you are having a blast, I tried and tried to make it to you to climb in that bag, hate I missed out.. I bet you were worn out after the junque sale…you put a lot into it. I bet you there were people that wish they had know the display cases/carts were part of the sale…I know I would have love it…lol...DH said he hopes he can take me there one day. He has been a couple of times. I am glad you like the pig picken pics..it was a fun time…DH was so tired afterwards though. He can't do as much as he used to…Dr. want him to think about having surgery on his back again, they say the new technology is better than what he has now..but he really doesn't want to do it…said he will check in to it again if and when his disability is approved. He has been getting worse every year…bless his heart, it is hard on him to just sit around. Thank you for the kind words, I try to be caring…sometimes bites me in the butt…

Debra, I love the turkeys, I know the senior group felt so blessed. What are they made of? Styrofoam cups or pots…can't tell…Is that a pic of you? Hope so, that was can put a face with the posts.

Dianne, I am so excited about Logan, bless his little heart. Hope he recovers soon. That is tough for a little 5 years old. I can see by your post why ya'll were so worried. Your Dh was lucky to get both cinnamon rolls and rocky road brownies but I'm sorry it is because you were stressed, hope you are better now. We need pics of the angora bunnies please…so cute I'm sure.

Holly, T-shirt weather in Vermont, wow, here in Ga we are having to wear at least long sleeve t's. You sound like you have to go about the same distance I do to get to a big store. Not fun when you just need one thing that you can't get locally. Sorry that you had to call AAA but good that they were available, locksmiths are so expenses.

Betty WA, I am so glad you are a part of our little group here, I hope 70 doesn't bother you much…"that old" love the way you put it.

Judy, Oh my that supper sounds wonderful…yummy…I love fish. You and DH sound like me and mine…we love the quite and watching all the animals here too… Oh you make me want a bunny reading about yours and the cute things they do…but I'm sure that won't happen. I love the pics and the pitcher is really cool. Don't think I've ever seen one like that. While I was in the town where the baby shower was held last weekend I went to goodwill but didn't find anything, well found a cute fussy crocheted hat but the line was soooo long, I stood in it for 5 min but everyone in front of me had big grocery carts of things, one lady had 2 carts so decided not to wait, the other cashier walked by and saw the long line then disappeared.

Nancy, I am so sorry to hear about your finger, hope it gets better soon. Didn't you just have another problem with your hand, or am I confusing people again…lol. Thank you, I love showing off our home…It has a lot of beautiful areas. I have a couple other pics of it that are amazing, will see if I can find one…be right back…lol I can't find the one I really wanted to show of the pond area but will see if I can find it. Sorry about the quilt, I don't completely understand the problem but hate that you had trouble…I love the story of the cat and squirrel.

I had a chance to shoot a deer yesterday, she was only about 50 yds from me as I walked to the mailbox, but DH has said early he didn't want to the shoot the one we saw that morning because he wasn’t feeling like he could dress it out unless it was a buck so I debated and decided not to shoot it…dang, hope it isn't my only chance this season. I need to get busy, still haven't made the apple pie for DH so better get to it today.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Edited by - Acelady02 on Nov 09 2011 09:22:16 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page