Page: of 218

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  11:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
ATCs are the size of playing cards, 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 and there are several themed swaps on FARMGIRL SWAP. Beth Jones is our hostess. They are fun and very addicting!
CJ

M

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  12:00:11 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Marsha,
My dream is to have a teardrop as well . . that was my dream long before Diane brought hers along on the road trip.

Actually, my hubby is talking about building one . . and between the two of us we really could do it. Doubt that it'll get done THIS season, there's too much outdoor work to do.

Hope it happens!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

osagegypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Marsha
Hominy OK
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  12:07:07 PM  Show Profile
It's a good goal, Building your own teardrop, maybe we could encourage each other! I'll bet there are plans out there. It would make a great badge project!

"Though she never shook the stars from their appointed courses; she loved good men and rode good horses." unk.

www.ChinkapinRanch.com
www.osagegypsy/etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  1:46:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies...I have never heard of "ATC" or a "tear drop" I am learning some new things on this farm.
Now AC I have heard of, and wouldn't want to be with out in this steamy hot weather. It was 97 here in Hotlanta with the humidity higher. Oh My! Maybe some rain tomorrow.
Anything good for supper tonight?
Let's all cook out.
See you there.
debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  2:45:17 PM  Show Profile
I just got back from the chiropractor. Wow! We went to Oakhurst for the weekend and now I'm trying to remember what everyone was talking about (while I was gone) without rolling back and losing everything ... etc. Y'all know what I mean.

What should have been a 3 hour trip from Oakhurst to Cupertino turned out to be 6 hours as we sat on the highway about a mile behind an overturned big rig and oil spill for nearly 3 hours. Had a nice chat with some folks just in from New Zealand in a SUV next to us. They flew into Los Angeles and rented their vehicle. They were on their way to Reno for Hot August Nights. I'm thinking - now that's a long trip! We got home when the clock was pushing 2 a.m. Undaunted - we will make the trip again this coming weekend.

Welcome BusyBee Mary! Another California girl - (but probably not for long, I see). Half Moon Bay is just "up the road" from Cupertino. Enjoyed reading your post, Mary. Loved all your projects and interests.

I'm on the HP laptop right now and upstairs we have an Imac ... I can flip around between windows up there ... I'm not as handy on the laptop ... but I'm learning a thing or 2. I will post a picture of the French Braid quilt next trip (online) upstairs. I just took the photo of it Saturday. I'm loving desertwillow (California) Betty's quilts. Betty, you are light years ahead of me with your talent! I don't piece by hand (I have 4 sewing machines and a serger ... but I do some (emphasis on "some") quilting by hand. I enjoy seeing it "emerge." The log cabin quilt I have started working on for my husband is turning out to have fussy-cut bears appliqued over some of the logs - climbing out of their own fabric to check out other turf.

(Washington) Betty J. I'm betting your "ugly" quilt is great. I say glue an applique on any spot you feel needs a bit of help --- that's what I do. As for UFOs ... I've actually been working on a lap quilt that keeps having a mind of its own for going on 3 years now. It has nine pockets (one on each block) for hankies. I couldn't find a pattern so I had to make it up as I went along. It's for a girlfriend who wanted a hankie quilt - not made from hankies but for them ... and her 69th birthday is Thanksgiving (just 2 months younger than me). I'll be giving extra thanks if I can get that quilt finished and to her by then.

I'm enjoying the hummingbirds outside the kitchen window right now. We have a feeder out there and the birds go through almost a quart a week.

Up in Oakhurst we enjoy 2-1/2 acres with lots of rock outcroppings and lots -- and lots! --- of quail ... many bunnies ... and often deer ... and (not as welcome - gophers). Our house is situated against a slope so one of our livingroom windows is sort of in the treetops. We have birds for our immediate neighbors. Oakhurst is in the Sierras about 15 miles (or a little less) from the south gate to Yosemite Nat'l Park ... about 45 miles from Fresno and at about 2500 feet. They call it the "sweet spot" - above the fog and below the snow. (We do get a bit of snow now and then, though.)

Hey Nancy! I am really curious about your doll-making. I tried making dolls but I didn't stay with it very long. I did learn that there are just some things that I'm really not very proficient at. Maybe I just don't have the right pattern books. I do enjoy dabbling though. How about posting a pic or 2 of the dolls you've made. I might just get reinspired knowing someone who is actually gifted at doll creation.

Peggy Ann ... you rock, sister! Thanks for the instructions. I will be trying them this week. Also, thanks for the forums and thread you pointed BusyBee Mary to. You may see me there one day ..

Grandkids are so great and I like having the "paper" version of their photos, too. I just love hearing about your families. I have 10 grandkids, and 5 great grandkids. Some are from our blended families. All the grandkids are 20 years plus and, 7 are boys and all the boys are 6'2" or taller. (I'm 5'4" but they all snap to when I want them to. They are all good humored and love their gramma.) The girls are 19, 21 and 27. They are sweethearts.

Daniela's (our 27 yr.old granddaughter) stepdaughter's (10 year old Emma) chickens took 2 blue ribbons at the Amador County fair weekend before last. Daughter-in-law's painted ceramics also took 2 blue ribbons. The fair was great and even greater - great-granddaugher Nevaeh (Daniela's 15 month old) started walking (on the grass at the fair) with everyone around cheering her on. Blue ribbon baby! Lordy, she was proud of herself! And we were all proud of her.

Herblady -- thank you! I will be looking for herb books now. I appreciate your sharing bits of goodness with us.

Hey Patsy -- Did I mention I have another load of laundry to do... automatic machine .. no wringer .. okay, I don't get to complain. I salute you old-fashioned sisters who do, or have done, the wringer thing. it sounds "romantic - in a way" but I can only imagine that it's truly a labor of love.

Miles of smiles to all of you, sisters - til later ...

oxox, Darlys
Sister #3284

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  3:26:56 PM  Show Profile
What fun we have. I just got back from the quilt shop and it's going to cost $176 to quilt my Log Cabin plus the cost of backing since I hadn't bought that yet. I have the batting though. It's wedding present that I know will be taken care of so I'm goint to go for it. I have to press the top tonight or in the morning and then take it in tomorrow. That will be one thing out of the way. The crystal goblets that I bought from one of the Eastern Star ladies at the lodge will go out this week also. She's had them for years and they're Lenox, price tag still on them at $16.00 each and there are 8 and I got them for $25.00. Now to make airline reservations (yuk) and hotel reservations since we'll fly out of Las Vegas as it's cheaper than Los Angles and just as far to drive and then we'll be all set to go in October. I have another machine sewn quilt to do for my daghter but I'll do it myself since it's a simple stitch in the ditch design. Time to get some work done. What wonderful stories to read today.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  3:32:40 PM  Show Profile
Okie Dokie, Artichokie ... I just finished up one post that ran a couple of hours. Here is just a couple more thoughts to add. (My cousins, back in Minnesota, still say I talk too much!)

Nancy, I'm so glad you got your AC up and running. Having to suffer the high temps you are experiencing would just be flat out misery. It's tough enough to get going when the mercury and humidity rises without, at least, getting blessed relief.

desertwillow Betty! You are amazing! I'm such an amateur compared to you. All I can say about your quilts is "Wow" ... you go girlfriend! And, by the by, have tons of fun with the grandkids. And enjoy shopping! You say you have population 20,000 in Inyokem ... we have about 4,000 in Oakhurst. It is going to be an adjustment for us when we finally do leave the Bay Area.

Marsha and Ceejay -- I'm so in awe of anybody who would build a teardrop (now that I know what it is.) Sounds fun though.

Judy, I didn't know what an ATC was ('til now) either. I have a book called Altered Art. Bet they are mentioned in there. Be that as it may, where did you find your texting dictionary? I could use a primer. I just got over thinking LOL meant "Lots of Luck." LOL ;-)

Hey there Debra e in Hotlanta! My sister lives in Warner Robins -- a couple of miles from Macon. I get regular GA weather updates from her. Here in sunny California we enjoyed mid-90s in Oakhurst over the weekend. Not bad, not humid. But toasty.

I'm in favor of cooking out, Debra, especially seeing as how I have no jurisdiction over the grill. Speaking of food, I made Philly cheese steak sandwiches and salad the other night. Turned out super and so easy.

oxox, Darlys - Sister #3284

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  3:38:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sissy...I should have known you'd know! *sigh* *giggle*
Marsha your horses are beautiful....I peeked....hey Patsy...go look at her purty horsies! We're two horse-crazy Sisters, from the time we could say the word. She's had one, but I never had. *sniff* I love the size of those. And black is my dream-horse color!
Hi CJ....so good to see you again. What ya been up to? How are things in Colorado?
Well, it got snotty-hot today. I thought I'd melt into a puddle. I had grocery shopping to do. UGH! t was just miserable, carrying all that stuff into the house. I even had the cold stiff in cooler-bags and the ice cream was still squishy. Good thing it re-freezes. lol
What even weirder( is a word yes??)is that my upstairs was cooler than my 1st floor when I got home. WHAT??? THAT'S strange. Maybe because of the breeze? Dunno! *scratches head*

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  3:58:19 PM  Show Profile
The 20,000 population should have been 30,000 and that is for Ridgecrest 15 miles away. Inyokern only has 970 with a PO, country market, 2 restraunts and two feed stores/hardware and a couple of bars. The main part of town is mostly antique/second hand stores that are only open during tourist season. Oh! we do have a motel but not a modern one.
Go to Top of Page

ellimae
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

eileen
edison nj
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  5:40:04 PM  Show Profile
I'll be 51 in october I feel that at my age I can be the farmgirl i was when i was a kid only better. It was rural in new jersey when i was small now its like a city but i'll keep on with the simple life among the mc mansions it's vey hard but I'm determine to relive and live everything my grandma taught me.

Do as the farmgals do!
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  6:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Eileen: you go girl and a big farmgirl welcome from western north carolina.

Judy: SIS, you were right about marsha's horses! gorgeous gypsy vanners. just saw a bunch in an irish movie last night about a white stallion and 2 small boys. those horses are so broad, they don't look like very comfy "sitting".
will let "weirder" slide this time...you were right, it was the breeeeeze. ;)

Darlys: I LOVE my washer/wringer. my clothes are much cleaner for sure. will have one til it dies, they are so hard to find down here, so will no doubt go back to the laundromat.

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

ellimae
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

eileen
edison nj
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  6:08:08 PM  Show Profile
howdy, anyone out there?

Do as the farmgals do!
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  6:24:28 PM  Show Profile
I've started hanging out my wash again and saving the electric dryer. We have all this sun in the desert it seems a waste to not use it. I hang a load on the line and by the time the second load is done washing the first one is dry. The wind helps unless it's blowing too hard and then I can't hang them out.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  6:24:30 PM  Show Profile
Well it must be too hot to be outside because...wow...everyone is on here chatting up a storm today!
My hubby took me to my favorite antique mall today, for a couple hours of shopping and lunch. They
have a Wonderful Cafe with the most scrumptious drinks, sandwhiches, and desserts! I think he thought
Grandma needed some "Me Time" after two weeks of grand-daughters. It was lovely and I found some fun
crafting items while I was there and had a fabulous lunch.

They just said on our Evening news that it will be one year (Aug. 23rd) since we have seen 90 degrees
or higher. And to know most of the Country is sweltering...I feel kind of bad complaining about our
cool weather...but honestly girls it doesn't seem like Summer here at
all. It seems more like Spring.

Well hubby want me to come spend some time with him...so I will try to come back later or tomorrow.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 08 2011 6:25:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  7:08:39 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, my daughter lives in Tenino, WA and she said the same thing as you, that it's been way too cool up there. It's been steady 100+ days here since early June and while we were in MO seeing family it got up to 113-117 for a week. It hasn't got that high since but it's hot enough. We got some monsoonal moisture a couple of weeks ago and actually got rain and the humidity was dreadful. Our average rainfall is 3 inches a year. I'm ready for fall but August and September can still be hot and even into October. The weather has been so different this year.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  7:39:05 PM  Show Profile
Hey sisters! I've got a pot of chili on the stove and cornbread in the oven. It just seemed easy. And it's cool enough - low 70s now (7 p.m.)- to actually enjoy some comfort food. Time for Jeopardy ... so this will be brief. Also, my hard-working hubby will be calling soon to say he is on the way home.

CA Betty -- your town sounds charming ... and I mean that. We have way too many fast food places in Oakhurst ... along 41 ... to snag the tourists on their way to Yosemite, I'm sure. We are spread out a bit though and we are 4 miles up, and about a block off, 49 (toward Mariposa) away from it all. There is a 9 hole golf course an acre or 2 across the way, though. A couple of acres in the other direction is a family with 2 horses that, when the leaves are off the trees (those that actually have leaves) we can see across to the corral where they exercise and can hear the occasional whiny (sp?). We only have one quilt shop in Oakhurst -- but Clovis isn't that far ... about 35 miles, I'd say. I'm just glad there are a lot of quilting resources online ... lots of quilting magazines, etc. And, wherever we go ... there will be fabric stores, quilt shops, craft stores and other delightful merchants who are more than willing to melt my plastic!

Hi Eileen, nice to hear from you. Welcome.

By the way, maybe I missed it Betty ... but where is the wedding?

Oh, Patsy. How I wish I could say I love my washer. Laundry is not my favorite thing to do. Of course, I do appreciate the fruits of my labor (clean clothes) but I'd rather be doing lots of things other than laundry. But, you, sister, are a true amazon. A goddess, to be sure. I am filled with admiration.

Does anyone remember reading Caddie Woodlawn as a girl? It was one of my favorite books. My mother used to stop at the library on her way home from work and pick me up 5 books each week (that was the "allowance" with your library card) ... so maybe Caddie Woodlawn is one of those lesser known stories. Don't know what got me thinking of that...maybe talking about wringer washing machines and clothes lines.

oxox, Sister #3284

Darlys

Go to Top of Page

osagegypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Marsha
Hominy OK
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  7:46:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh, glad you girls "peeked" at my horses! I love them so much they are my "grandkids" since I have not been blessed with human ones yet. I wanted horses all my life yet did not get them til I was 49. Don't even care about riding anymore but love the foals! Also I have met some of the nicest people at the shows and online. The majority are middle aged women! These horses are not only beautiful, they are super domesticated. The newborns will walk straight up to you and let you kiss their faces!

"Though she never shook the stars from their appointed courses; she loved good men and rode good horses." unk.

www.ChinkapinRanch.com
www.osagegypsy/etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  7:47:10 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, the wedding is in Jacksonville, NC the home of Camp Lejune. I used to live in Tulare and one of my daughters lives in Visalia so I know where you are.
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  7:49:46 PM  Show Profile
Marsha, there is nothing softer than a horses nose. It's like velvet. I, too, love horses and always wanted one but never was lucky enough to have one.
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  04:56:59 AM  Show Profile
I would love so much to have a tear drop. Building our own dear drop. mmmmm. good idea. My husband might just go for that! I've always wanted one ever since I saw a special on them on a television show. The emcee interviewed tear drop owners at place where they all got together. There were all sizes of tear drops made out of different materials. Many were homemade. Some very old, some very little. But everything one needs built in. So neat!

CJ is right, the ATC's are so addicting. I starting doing them and now I can hardly wait for the next one. It is really fun.

I am having chicken for supper tonight. It will be cooked outside on the grill. Too hot to cook inside. Just have a salad and and beans to go with the chicken.

What I don't understand is how some of the women here where I live can sit by that swimming pool and lie in the sun with this heat to get their sun tans. I see them there when I leave to go on errands and they are still there hours later on my coming back. Baking in the oven.
Even the water in the pool is very warm.

We are going down to the beach today to enjoy the ocean and feel some cooler breezes. Not much chance of rain until the weekend. I hope you get some up there in Atlanta, Debra. Maybe it will slip down here to us.

Keeping as cool as I can,
Hugs to all,
Nancy

Farmgirl #2301
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  05:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well, Judy . . thanks for the welcome back. I was gone for 3 weeks on the Farmgirls on the Loose Road Trip. If you haven't read about it you should check it out.

www.farmgirlsontheloose.blogspot.com

My daughter and I started that trip with working hard as crew at the AVON Walk for Breast Cancer Rocky Mountains Event. We had an AWESOME trip and I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I was able to do it with my daughter.

Had to hit the ground running when I got back, still trying to catch up and have been selling aprons like crazy at Farmers Market. Last Saturday was my BEST DAY EVER . . .EVER . . in the 4 years I've been selling aprons at market. So, when I'm not working as caregiver for my sister I'm sewing aprons . . . going through fabric like crazy and using a ba-zillion miles of thread.

Not a moment to even consider boredom!!!
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Aug 09 2011 06:04:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  10:05:16 AM  Show Profile
Hey Nancy,
We had a cooler morning and I just watched the weather the weather report and looks like we may have some rain and possible storms coming in late afternoon. Shall I send some on down to Fla?
I love the beach. Pick up a few shells for me.

Cj. I just looked at your creation site. I love the aprons. You are very creative and talented. Good luck with your sales.

Have a great rest of the day.
Debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  10:13:21 AM  Show Profile

This was my guest for coffee this morning.
She meets me at the back door of the "Hen House"
She eats breakfast and I drink my coffee and watch her and the baby
This is Shirley and Charlotte

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  10:55:20 AM  Show Profile
Such a lovely view. So peaceful and precious.

oxox, Darlys

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  11:20:55 AM  Show Profile
What delicious eye-candy Debra..to go with your morning coffee. Your flowers make a beautiful foreground to your
momma and baby deer in the yard. Oh...that we could all have such glorious mornings!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page