herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  10:11:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh Claudia, that's so sad and yet I'm glad that you,DH and so many others were there to take part in another of our fallen heros!(goosebumps) Only 28 *sigh*
Welcome Penny, Laura & AnneJeannette to our coop of sassy,strutin' banty chics! We're tough old hens with attitude! lol My dictionary says bantum:a small but sprited person! Yup...that's us...a little chewy, but a little saucyy! lol
Penny, I got married to my Best-Friend of 20 years in my 51st year. So I know what you're talking about! Happily Ever After isn't just for the young, I always say!
Laura, I really like the giant black schnautzer. Such a pretty dog. I like the standard poodle and the full-size collie too. Once they miniaturize them....not so much. They need to leave well-enough alone, in my humble opinion! haha
OK...I'm off my soap-box now! lol
AnneJ, so sorry to hear about your Aunt and the stress&work it's causes your Mom and you! Putting her on my prayer list!Hang in there!
Well, we're in a Sccreamin'-Hot stretch of heat again. I had to go to Walmart to look at some insulated curtains and just took my time just to keep cool. Then I went to Micky-D's(which I hardly ever do) and ate just to linger in a/c. We don't have a/c, but usually the 1st floor stays cool. Not in this heat&humidity! 95+ is just too much to take. I'm thinking of going to the library today to spend the hot afternoon. At least I have friends there(books)and I can take a trip without leaving a comfy armchair just by burying myself in their pages! lol That's so sad about Border's going out of business. I spent many hours there keeping cool, filling some lonely, quiet hours and having a coffee. Now we have nothing close. I like to hold a book in my hand and smell the pages as they ruffle past my nose. And if perhaps they also smell a little like coffee...so be it!
Well, have a great day Gals! Be COOL!!!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  10:34:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls over 50:
I just turned 58. Oh, that's a bit scary, however there is absolutely nothing I can do about it, so... Life is good.
I'm still active and alive, so being in my 50's doesn't bother me one bit.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  11:17:54 AM  Show Profile
Remember that 50 is just a number-it matters how you feel & live!!!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&parent=0&mid=0&search_in=all&search_str=&vid=88&pg=a
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  11:37:11 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to all the new ones in the forum. Great place with a bunch of great gals.

Well sis, (herblady55 is my sister in r/l) I might be a small spirited person, but like mama says: the best things come in small packages.. ;)

We're not going anywhere here because of the heat. Got a/c on during the day and try to do stuff early morning or late evening after sun sets. poor garden looks toasted.

Tried a new recipe for chicken breasts that had rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper, then wrapped in bacon for supper last night. Burped on rosemary and it actually tasted good! LOL ROFL Was supposed to be done on the grill, but used the microwave instead, much cooler.

Marly: ditto what you said because I turn 59 in October. ;)

Hugs and prayers to all who need and want them.

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  12:09:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Marly...Welcome to the "Coop!"

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  3:34:18 PM  Show Profile
I see that I, too, am trying to keep cool in the heat. My DH and I even ended up going to the matinee at our local theater to see a movie just to keep cool. We usually take a walk in the morning and now our time is down to 8:00 a.m. to beat some of the heat. I saw the last Harry Potter movie and now can discuss it with my granddaughters.

I like the recipe for the chicken breasts, Patsy. I am going to use rosemary and garlic when I make them tonight. I think I will use the microwave as you did. Hope it comes out well.

Well, I won't be seeing the "50's" anymore since I am 69. I'm smiling and glad to be here with all you MJF sisters. You are the best!

~Nancy

Go to Top of Page

gathered herb
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Patty
Ormond Beach florida
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  11:51:13 AM  Show Profile
I am 51 ish.... and everyday is a new day to thank the Lord. We all have stories & burden's to carry. I think this sisterhood is such a groovey thing!!!! I am in the works creating a farm. I have 2 horse's, 2 donkey's and 2 goats... 14 chickens & 3 dogs... I want to make the farm a safe landing for children & mothers... I am proud to be a women on a mission and most of all, I am glad we are free!!!! Our voice does make a difference. patty
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  12:01:33 PM  Show Profile
Betty and Nancy, I am a fellow Californian! Grew up and lived around the San Fernando Valley areas, then in Joshua Tree, Yucca Valley. Couple years ago moved closer to half of my family here in Kansas. Big adjustment still. But getting easier, I think.

In my 5o's. My 50's are proving to be a real teaching and healing time for me and I am thankful for that!

Have a great day!

Blessings, Linda

www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  1:01:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Patty, welcome to the group. You have a BIG heart and a loving spirit. Good for you girl! ..... and tell me about your donkeys. I've always thought that if I had the space, I'd like a mule! When I use to see them on RFDTV, I thought, what a nice, sweet, smart animal.I think they and donkeys get a bum-rap though....just like my pet rats. People see what they see and they don't like it.
Hi Linda, have seen you around, but not on here. Good to see you.How are you and Brenda doing on that blogspot?

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  1:19:20 PM  Show Profile
Linda, What part of KS are you in? I was there last month visiting hubby's family. If I asked you this once before just remeber we seniors have our moments.
Go to Top of Page

gathered herb
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Patty
Ormond Beach florida
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  2:39:45 PM  Show Profile
Hey there Judy, I love my donkey's. I have a mini & standard. I will post pictures soon. I have to learn this format... You are sooooo right.. Mules are wonderful animals. So smart! I did a obstacle course with a Lady that raises them. I have a carriage horse & my other is all around everything horse... The other interesting thing about donkeys, they scare off coyotee.. which we have. my new motto.... follow your dream & llisten to your heart!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  8:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Wow Patty, we have coyotes too....they come so close to the house and don't seem to be very afraid until they see my DH...it is like they know he is the one that will shoot them...So far this year he has gotten 4...which I am so glad off...I worry about the coyotes getting my cat or dogs. They also don't seem to be afraid of my horses so maybe I need to get a donkey...mmmmm let me talk to DH about that...bet he says no...lol...we really would like to add a cow and some chickens one day but it will take alot of work to get a coop built for the chicks and DH is just not up to it. So we will have to see. Can't have them if coyotes are going to get them. Nice to meet everyone...I hope to catch up with all the posts...it will take a while since I haven't been a member very long.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  04:48:00 AM  Show Profile
I am excited to see your donkeys. I have always liked them. I lived in an area that had coyotes. Most people kept their cats as indoor cats. We had quite a few horned owls around there also. My cat got out early one morning while it was still dark. In a little while I heard a big thump on the roof. I never saw the cat again so I think an owl might have gotten it. No coyotee here in FL although some cats here go missing.

I used to have some rats and they were so smart. Easy to train and learned so fast. My daughter got them for a science project and then kept them as pets and after she left for college I kept them. Wish I had a place for more animals. Has anyone ever had a pet pig?

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

gathered herb
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Patty
Ormond Beach florida
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  05:19:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes, Owls do love cats... I saved 3. only to bring them to my farm to be snatched by the owls. I was sick. I built a cat house that was on a post, this way I knew the coyotees would not have a chance... Didn't think of . the air preditors. Lots of Eagles, hawks, owls... circle of life. I wont get anymore kitty's until the house is built and I live there.

Donkeys are soooo easy to care for..I have Jack & Lilly... love them!!!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  08:31:33 AM  Show Profile
I knew donkeys drove off coyotee and I've always found that interesting. Gonna have to read up on that more. I can't wait to see your pics Patty!A cat house on a post? How did the cats know it was for them? I bet you felt like you were baiting a trap for the larger prey when they started picking off your poor kitties. My DH laughs every time he fills the bird feeders and says, "Ok, I baited the traps." Ya see, occasionally we have a coopers hawk visit the feeder and grab a bird. It's the order of the food chain I guess. We feed the birds year round because they are so fun to watch but occasionally that ornery cooper comes around and says, "Oh look the drive-thru is open! In quick/out quick!" lol I love my pet rats, Nancy. Like you said, they are so smart and learn amazingly fast. And such cuddlers. I've had them since I worked in the science lab my jr.year in H.S. So many different personalities. Right now I have my 1st hairless and my 1st (2)dumbo rats. I love the way the dumbos ears set on the side of their head instead of on top. Makes them look like a teddy bear. lol My hairless has just a little peach-fuzz all over and she feels lie a warm water baloon. hahaha Quite a description, don't ya think? We had a pot-belly pig once but he was so wild and ran from us all the time, so we sold him at Christmas time to a family who was going to keep him in the barn anyhow. The father bought him for his kids. He said his wife would spoil it rotten too. hahaha When I was a kid my Dad bought 3 pigs and told us not to name them because we were going to eat them. Patsy and I spoiled them and scratched then behind the ears anyhow. We did name them....porkchop, hambone, & sparerib. Porkchop was the only sow, and such a sweetie too. *sniff* It was good ham & bacon though. I have to admit that now that I'm older.

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

gathered herb
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Patty
Ormond Beach florida
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  05:28:46 AM  Show Profile
Judy that is funny... A lady wanted to give me her pig... 1 of many.. his name was, Hamlett.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  11:36:24 AM  Show Profile
Well Ladies...Judy said I had to come over here and confess that I am over 50. LOL!
I am actually 59 until October 25th (all too soon). I was really depressed about that
until I remembered that my brother never made it to 60 and my little sister won't see
60 (she is dying) and two of my grandparents didn't make it past their 40's...so, I
guess that put it ALL into PERSPECTIVE for me...and I am really HAPPY that I will see
My 60th birthday soon!

Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  12:19:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by desertwillow

Darlys, I have you beat. I'm 71.

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  2:32:48 PM  Show Profile
Betty -- are you and I the only California Farmgirls on this thread? I still haven't finished reading the whole forum ... gettin' there .... gettin' there. Perhaps there are others that I haven't met yet. I just picked up on your messages saying you are a quilter ... me, too. Happily, my hubby idulges my need for fabric ... and will go out of the way when we are on the road to help me check out quilt shops.

Also, I collect dolls -- not specific brands or types .... just every now and again there will be a doll in a shop somewhere that "speaks" to me. I have - probably - about 40 or so that get rotated through the seasons and here and there in the house (the Oakhurst house - I'm slowly moving stuff from Cupertino to Oakhurst). We also have an abundance of cute bears. And .. then ... there are the angels. Mostly unusual variations that I've acquired over time. Am getting anxious to get moved to Oakhurst. It is my peaceful place. Even our address - Mockingbird Lane - makes my heart happy.

We were at the Amador County Fair in Plymouth (near Jackson) with family this past weekend. The weather was the best we could have hoped for. It was pretty warm but there were plenty of shady spots ... trees, canopies, etc. We had our great granddaughter Nevaeh, with us ... she is 15 months old and is so precious. Her smiles and laughter are contagious. And she is so sweet and friendly. Also! She started walking - at the fair. Toddling across the grass to the cheers of all nearby. She was so proud of herself! And we were all proud and delighted to be witnesses to this major event! Our beautiful 10 year old Emma, another great-grand daugher - by way of blended, extended, reblended family as well ... won 2 blue ribbons for her chickens. And daughter-in-law also won 2 blue ribbons for her painted pottery. (Amador County has a great fair, by the way. The grounds are so clean and pretty. The events are fun - and the quilt exhibit (which attracted me) was marvelous!) We couldn't stay for the Rodeo that night as we were driving about three hours (curvy 49 all the way) to Oakhurst.

We were going to do some yard work - but didn't get much done as we were treated to a lightning, thunder and an early day downpour yesterday. We sat out on the front porch, drank hot chocolate and enjoyed the show. By afternoon it was pretty warm and just a bit humid. We got a little bit done and headed to Cupertino. Going back Friday night to see if we can get a bit more done. We also have 2-1/2 acres. Lots of rock outcroppings -- lots of gophers and lots to weed and mow. We aren't trying to make it into a park ... but it looks pretty nice as we get the brush under control. Bunnies and quail also abound and we do get our fair share of deer looking for munchies. We hope to move there permanently next year ... and I'm dreaming of a veggie garden as well as what flowers I can grow without being consumed by critters. Can't convince hubby that we can have animals of any kind - yet -. He says we travel too much and it wouldn't be fair to the animals to be leaving them so often. He is probably right ... but still ....

Hi, Paula .... all is well here - how about with you?

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  4:38:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Peg...so glad you made it to the "confessional!" hahahahahahaha We are glad that you are here too. Age sure beats the alternative, doesn't it, Dearie? So sad about all of your family members that didn't make it to a ripe old age. I never realized that there were that many.I'm so sorry! BIG (((hugs))) GirlFriend!!!
Darly, I sure enjoyed your (read)...thanks for sharing with us. I could see, hear, and smell it all! What a joy!
Well, I had a small(thankfully)cavity filled today. I feel much better knowing that's behind me. Dentists make my skin crawl. lol

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  5:04:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Juanita...Welcome to the group!
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Aug 01 2011 5:05:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  05:08:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi Juanita. Welcome! Glad to have you in the group. I'm 69 so feel right at home. I agree with you Judy. I really dislike going to the dentist. I isn't about pain because it really isn't so painful like it once was. I think the thing I hate most is having someones hands in my mouth. Also, the noise of that drill drives me nuts. I have to have the radio with ear phones when I am having any drilling or teeth cleaning done. Makes me shiver to think about it. lol

I've lived here in my town for almost 3 years and still haven't found a doctor I like. I finally got a good dentist after 2 tries. I sometimes think that some doctors never keep up with their reading and rely on what the pharm representatives tell them when they come by to sell them drugs. The doctors that I have tried here where I live are so old fashioned and behind times it is awful. It seems all they wanted to do was give me a prescription right away to get rid of me. Didn't want to answer any questions. Well, I am not sick or anything right now so I will keep looking farther away until I find one I like. I hope. haha!

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  07:45:16 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, isn't it the truth. I worked in pharmacies 12 1/2 years and drug reps were so pushy. And yes, Docs are all about writing a prescription anymore, mostly because the patients want some quick fix and be on their way. But I want that 1 on1 attention and want someone to really hear and care about me. Is that asking too much? I spose. lol But I guess I have to go to a Holistic Doc and pay more to get that. Sad! We have a couple of them in our neighboring town. Ladies who read the body, counsel with you for over an hour to get your family history and all, then give you a thorough going over. I'm thinking about going there. After all, if I don't take care of my body....well.....there is nothing else after that, is there? And I want my body to work at it's best.
When I was a kid, I had and always have had a small jaw-line and too many teeth, so I had some extracted to make room for the rest, and everyone of them had roots wrapped around the jawbone. So I had some pretty awful experiences. Also I always reacted badly to novacaine. Now I use herbs and have no troubles or pain with getting a cavity filled....but there's still that lingering fear...bad memories.

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  09:02:19 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to all the new ladies! I will never catch up on this thread, another new page started when I get back here. lol
Judy: remember Sam, grandpa's mule? i love donkeys...and horses...and any 4 legged critter I can cuddle. Like the sound of you going to the Holistic Doc sis.
dentists make me shiver, was making my hair stand up on my arms remembering "the drill". hate that device.

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)

Edited by - craftbug on Aug 02 2011 09:02:56 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page