HeirloomMomma
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  2:26:21 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Laura Jean!! You will just love this forum because the special ladies here make it so fun and entertaining!
The more you 'chat' the more you learn!
In Sisterhood,
Linda

http://hoovershomesteadhappenings.blogspot.com
"Leap and the net will appear."
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  3:23:17 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Gail & Laura! Kick back and enjoy us, "Second-Time-Rounders!" We're all enjoying the second half of our lives. I truely think I'm having more fun now than I did in the 1st half! Crazy? Well then, so be it! lol

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  3:42:02 PM  Show Profile
I know I am having a lot more fun now than I did in the first half. I have the time now to do all things I didn't have time for then. I don't have to think I have to be "perfect" anymore so I can relax and enjoy. Things that used to bother me I now find amusing so I laugh a lot morel.
Glad to have you aboard Gail and Laura.

Nancy
Farmgirl #2301
Live everyday to the fullest
Go to Top of Page

BasicBliss
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  10:31:46 PM  Show Profile
I think I might be in the right spot.
In a couple of months, I will be (gasp)60, (when did THAT happen?)
I'm new to MJF, but I do believe it is going to be part of the fun.

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
Go to Top of Page

BasicBliss
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  10:34:55 PM  Show Profile
Oops.
I forgot my own name...not a good sign.
Victoria

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
Go to Top of Page

osagegypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Marsha
Hominy OK
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  05:47:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm 56 today! And I think you are right Victoria about the hokey pokey!

"Though she never shook the stars from their appointed courses; she loved good men and rode good horses." unk.

www.ChinkapinRanch.com
www.osagegypsy/etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  08:09:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi Victoria.... Welcome....LOVE your signature...made me laugh! Too cute!You'll love it here! It's AMAZING!!
Happy Birthday Marsha! Have a great one. I just turned 56 this year an it didn't even hurt! LOL

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  08:46:51 AM  Show Profile
I turned 50 last October and I've really got to say most of my attitudes are so changed from when I was younger, I really enjoy myself more. The house is clean enough to be healthy but not so clean anyone needs to sweat it. I spend more time with my husband and kids then I do on anything else. I've given up on manicures and pedicures and what I do at home I'm happy with. I've slowed down just enough to watch the garden (veggies) grow and consider them my babies too. And most of all I still have dreams to work towards, I refuse to give up on my happily ever after. I live in the suburbs now and I really rather have more land and maybe some room for chickens or small animals. I don't love the financial state of the country and how it has effected our family but I wouldn't change our family a bit to be rich, I rather just be us.

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  09:20:49 AM  Show Profile
I love my land too. It was what I wanted when I retired? It wasn't really where I wanted but in CA we bought where we could afford. Our 2 1/2 acres at the eastern base of the Sierras is peaceful, lots of wildlife and birds, room for my birds and chickens and garden even if we are basically in the desert. It has it's own appeal and besides....how many people have an old stagecoach trail on their land? It gets hot but it's dry and when there is moisture we have lovely rainbows that take your breath away since you can see the whole arc. We get a lot of wind like on the plains but I'm happy with it and when I crave to see green things besides my garden I go visit one of the children. I forgot to say we have beautiful wildflowers in the spring. Have a good day everyone and welcome to everyone new.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  12:44:23 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Judy! You sound exactly like me and what all I changed about myself after I retired....must be our good name! hahaha....well....'cept...I always did my own mani/pedi's.It was always part of my relaxation routine when I was working. A good movie and fussin' over the nails.lol Made me feel all "Lady-Like" the next day. I know...I'm a silly!
Betty, every time you tell something new about your place, I just want to move there. lol My Sister lived on an old stagecoach trail and their house even had a look-out post on the roof. We think it was one of the stops for the stage and the look-out person stood up there and hollered, " Here comes the stage!" Maybe she'll come on soon and tell ya'll what she knows about it. A cool part of old history, don't ya think?
Today it's 90 but with a really cool breezy, sunny, but dark clouds & big, puffy white clouds looming up there too. May get rain later. Wait and see. We need to pick all of our yellow peppers tonight and get ready to make our pepper-butter early tomorrow morning, while it's still cool out. Need to take inventory of ingredients and maybe make a "grub-run" as my Sister likes to call it, for the things we're out of. lol
Make it a great day Gals!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  04:49:12 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Judy! Glad to have you with us.
I love hearing about the old stagecoach trails. I lived in southern California for most of my life and hardly ever got out to the desert areas to see those places. Now that I live in northeastern Florida I live in a very small town that was under the flags of 9 countries. It has a very rich history and I am loving living in this relaxed way after living in Orange County, CA. I, too, love the big, puffy white clouds. I can enjoy all the wild animals here in Florida. I have not seen any alligators where I am living but we have armadillos, eagles, flamingos and other exotic birds. We have manatees and sea turtles, endless shrimp and fish.

The pepper-butter sounds so good. How do you make it? I would like to try something like that.

~Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #2301

Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  08:07:36 AM  Show Profile
I didn't like living in Orange County either. To this day if we have to go to Los Angeles and vicinity I dread it like the plague and will go around that area to get where I need to go if possible. I've never been to Florida but it sounds lovely. I don't like humidity so for me it would be a place I'd like to visit but not live. I would like to see the wildlife though, especially the eagles. Have a great day everyone.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  3:24:29 PM  Show Profile
New to the Farm Girl Connection -- and I feel I've missed so much. But I'll be trying to catch up with back issues. Ruth, (sister 1748) ... you are only slightly more chronologically gifted than me ... I'm 68 ... to be 69 on 9/27. I admit that I do kind of miss my younger body ... but I don't miss being young.

Sister # 3284

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Nana Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Camden Missouri
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  3:26:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I hope I am in the right place. I am 5 days from being 55 and I love it. I have always been a country girl, but now I like to think farm girl is a better description. And of course the "Nana" means I am a Grandma. We just have a small farm in Missouri, but I would like all the help I can get to becomng self sufficient, or more than we are now anyway. Glad to meet you all.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  3:54:56 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Darlys and Linda! So glad to have you 2 join us! I always called myself a country girl too, but now it's 100% FarmGirl! LOL And proud to be too! Can't ya tell? You're gonna love it here. I've learned so much in my 1 1/2 years here. If these girls can't help you...they know someone else who can! It's great! *BIG grin*

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  5:21:59 PM  Show Profile
I've been reading, and am amazed at all us farmgirls over 50. Judy...Herblady...is such a good welcomer and funny to boot. I am amazed at all the experience we have in common & yet are so much individuals. At home, my garden is finally growing, but the gophers have found us too. Mounds popping up in our lawn, next to the garden & in around the roots of the potentilla bush I have nurtured back to life. Also my husband is taking our dog & going backpacking solo next week(never happy about that) into the Goat Rocks Wilderness Area... closer to Mt St. Helens than to Mt Rainier. He would be gone a week, counting travel from here. I used to go with him, a few years ago, but I will be caring for my almost 93 yr old Mom who has reinjured her Rt shoulder rotator cuff tear & can't drive, or do anything that would mean her depending on her right arm. I will take her to therapy, buy food etc, & just general stuff. My daughter used to help out when she could but she has just moved with family to Tampa...from one corner of the country to the other. I feel like you Darlys...an older body at 66, but I don't want to go through youth again & its troubles to achieve it.

One thing that was new for my dh & I Saturday was to be privileged and help line our Deer Park streets as a "fallen" Green Beret who had been killed in Afghanistan passed through our town. His hearse was just one vehicle of a 3 mile long procession of veterans riding motorcycles that carried flags, police vehicles from all the surrounding towns to his home town of Colville, plus border patrol, ski patrol from one of our ski slopes where he had worked as a high school student. He passed through a cavalcade of firetrucks, 5 blocks long on both sides with their lights flashing . We all had tears & lumps in our throats. His body was flown from Dover MD by jet to Deer Park, the largest airport closest to his home town 55 miles away. The whole procession (3 miles long as I said) proceded up Hwy 395 to his home. I lived through Viet Nam & lost many friends, but this young man (28) was the first that I could honor from Iraq/Afghanistan in our area. Life is so precious, whether we are 28, or over 50. Each day has gifts to offer us, & I hope not to miss many. Have a great day!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  04:55:33 AM  Show Profile
Glad to have you with us Darlys and Linda. I am a country girl and love it. I am still learning so much here and everyone is so kind. It's great!! :))

~Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #2301
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  05:12:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hello,
I'm new to MJF and happy to say I just turned 53. These last 3 years have been the best years of my life. At 51 I found the love of my life. I'm happier than I have ever been.

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

So Keep Smiling!
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  2:04:14 PM  Show Profile
I haven't finished reading all the pages (37?) with posts from Farmgirls over 50. I am entralled! And now the ringing of the doorbell announces that all the back issues of MJ Farm magazines have arrived with my Sisterhood certificate, patch and a bumper sticker. Now the dilemna is - do I keep reading the posts or do I dive into the magazines? The magazines have just won. But I'll be back soon.

In exactly 2 months, I will celebrate 3 X 23. That's waaaay over 50. You youngsters have gotta lotta livin' to do! For that matter, so do I! Gettin' to it .....

Farmgirl sister #3284

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  2:39:23 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, I have you beat. I'm 71.
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  3:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to all the new people! It's great to leave and come back to see what's new.

Betty: Our house we lived in about 14 years was as Judy (herblady55, my sis) said. It was a stagecoach stop and our 3 car garage was where they stabled the horse teams. Wish I had that old brick house down here where I am now, it had 4 bedrooms and 2 full baths! We even found round lead balls from the civil war era in the house, so exciting! The walls had horsehair in the plaster, so cool! Plus the basement was all cut sandstone walls, very cool in hot summer.

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

hellomysister
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Laura
Fond du Lac WI
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  7:36:06 PM  Show Profile
Hello My Sisters! Fairly new to the Farmgirls and this looks like a good forum! I'm 56, have a teenage son who will be a Senior this year and when he leaves, it will be just me and the dog - Shady, a beautiful giant black Schnautzer. I grew up in Iowa, spent summers on my Grandpa's farm in South Dakota, and now live in Wisconsin. I have a creative spirit and enjoy life.

Laura W

...on a quest for inspired gardening, crafting, and golfing.
Go to Top of Page

Nana Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Camden Missouri
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  7:57:22 PM  Show Profile
Phewww it has been hot here. But hubby and I did get a little done today. I recently got 2 goats, twins, Netty & Miss Ceeley and we are building them a new shed. They are so adorable. I intend on milking them eventually. I have a full time job outside the home right now, so it takes us a while to get things done, but we get it. This goes out to Buffypuff/Claudia, my husband and I love Washington. We always say if it weren't for the grandkids we would move to WA. But as it goes, we just dream about having a second place out there. (wishfull dreaming). Well I better go meet some of the other girls.

Make God Laugh, Tell HIM Your Plan.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  11:35:43 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Linda. We love it here too. Wasn't too happy with the heavy snow and long winter, but gosh, we had it so much easier than most of the country. I understand about being close to family. Sometimes, one doesn't realize how important it is until one of them moves away. :(

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Edited by - buffypuff on Jul 28 2011 2:27:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  7:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
Hi girls from Northern Nevada. Fairly new to the chat room and can't wait to join the sisterhood. It's so nice to know that there are so many other women out there with the same aspirations (and at our ages). I'm 55, city born and raised, by country by heart! My kids are all grown and out of the house. I think that's when I finally decided to go after my dreams.

My mom and aunt live together and my aunt just had a stroke. I've started cooking for them because my mom is 85 and after taking care of my aunt is just plain tired.

I'm so glad I found this forum. It's like family.

A.J.

Work is love made visible. ~ Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page